ESF Update Update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kevmo, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Selentic

You're going to need to do a lot more than make a2am slightly less un-dodgeable, if you really want all the good pilots who quit to come back.

Make them dumbfire with a decent projectile speed or something, and then balance ground aa so it doesn't have the ability to affect fights that are more than 300m (read: well outside of the range air units can attack ground).

New weapons are not a concern, just make what you have fun again by making it skill dependant and not allowing or listening to ground players who think they are entitled to ruin air fights that are way too far away to have any effect on them because they bought an aa weapon. After you have that working out, then think about new guns.
    • Up x 12
  2. RyanGUK

The only reason I'd want more lockons is if there was some way of making it technically harder for the player to achieve a successful lock-on. If anybody has played Star Command on Android, you have to actually line up your shots by hitting the key at the right time to make every lock on successful.

Think Top Gun, where you have the moving box which only targets when all 3 boxes are kept there for 3 seconds. That's the only way I'd really think lock-ons could be encouraged more, and make the gameplay within A2A much more challenging... which tbh, it should be.

Another addition I'd say needs happening for all the planes is the ability to shoot through the cockpit at the actual player flying the plane... That would be boss. Also EMPs, EMPs would fit so well into the PS2 universe.
    • Up x 2
  3. DeadliestMoon

So what do you propose that will make it easier for newer pilots?
  4. Tragachinos

So, I guess mossies will be recieving speed nerf or reavers cruise speed buff to compensate for AB changes?
    Also, more lock ons. Just what everybody wanted ;/
    • Up x 1
  5. EmperorPenguin5

Here's an idea for Lowering the skill floor considerably for New players trying to fly.

Make Your thruster positions for vertical and horizontal toggleable via a key.. You know, so its not super hard to get it to lock in hover, and even harder for scythe pilots to figure out because of zero physical indicators on their craft via thrusters..
    I know a lot of people would want this. Even aces.
    • Up x 11
  6. DeadliestMoon

You know, I remember a time where ESF pilots actually wanted A2G lock-on missiles.
  7. BodyBagCowboy

In a dogfight between two skilled pilots, A2AM is a liability, not an asset. Which is why the best do not use them.
    • Up x 1
  8. EmperorPenguin5

If they make it so to be able to detect the type and amount of lock-ons being used on you is only provided if you equip this radar.... well.... I'm not using it... I'd rather my flares to stop them, or my nanite repair to fix me up while the terrible's aren't shooting or hitting me....
    • Up x 1
  9. RogueVindicare

A dumbfire missile with just be used against ground units even more than aircraft, because pilots would know that ground units don't have the speed to escape. They would be no different than stronger, single shot rocket pods.

That is nonsense, because what happens after one side wins their "air battle of supreme, gentlemanly skill"? They fly over and **** on the enemy ground forces because they have air superiority.

I'm for things like higher flight ceilings where pilots can have their "jolly-good duels of sportsmanship"; but don't pretend that aircraft are innocent victims. Anytime they get a chance, many aircraft will fly over you and **** you up on the ground. If they are in range, they deserve nothing but the same from AA guns.
  10. EmperorPenguin5

Then you really weren't reading posts from actual pilots apparently...
    Just saying.
    • Up x 1
  11. Gheeta

I'm sorry but you have no clue, most high skilled pilots simply refuse to use them because they are a completely skill less, overpowered and boring, not because they are a liability like you say.
    • Up x 10
  12. DeadliestMoon

By pilots, do you mean people who only fly and do nothing else?

This in-turn created the notion that using them is somehow "dishonorable." I assume that the people who started saying they are skill-less, overpowered (it's not) and boring (completely subjective and varies from person to person so therefore this isn't an issue) are just ego strokers who don't like dying to things they consider "unfair".
    • Up x 2
  13. RogueVindicare

Didn't you know? You're not a pilot if you deign to sully your feet with soil like filthy infantry peasants.
    • Up x 2
  14. LightningWolfTigrBer

Well they're taking a step in the right direction with the new radar system, sounds like something I really could have used when I was learning to fly. And the new indicators will help the new pilots as well as veterans. As far as stuff that hasn't been mentioned in the OP that could be implemented, being able to actually duel in the VR would be really helpful to train new pilots dogfighting maneuvers and aiming.
    • Up x 1
  15. EmperorPenguin5

I like his post, even though he doesn't support what it means.
    • Up x 1
  16. BodyBagCowboy

I do in fact have a clue. If you try to kill an ace with A2AMs, he will fly straight at you and **** all over your face. It sounds to me like you don't have a clue.
    • Up x 2
  17. DeadliestMoon

I find it weird that you can't just pick up, play, and learn as you go just like with tanks and infantry. Do you even want it to be like that?
    • Up x 1
  18. RogueVindicare

The cynical joke part, or the implied insult under the joke?
  19. DeadliestMoon

I play all aspects of Planetside. I guess some people just like the game more than others.
  20. Selentic

???

Then the air units have to get in close and are vulnerable to aa, because contrary to what the lying scrubs on this forum say, rocket pods are useful at around 70m tops, and liberator bellyguns are useful around 150m tops.

There is no reason for aa to have absurd ranges that can clear the air 750m in every direction. Sorry!

yes my favourite part about dogfights is where when someone starts losing they just fly roughly over their own territory and enter an impenetrable aa cloud and become untouchable

I'm sorry, you must have missed this part. Here, I hope next time you'll remember to actually read the post you're responding to ; )
    • Up x 9