ESF Update Update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kevmo, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Pikachu

Come on people talk more about locusts and mass drivers. I want to hear what people think of them in general.
  2. Tar

Locusts: yet another chaingun... primary or secondary... what's the point?
    Mass drivers: The only decent idea of all the new weapon, and seemingly the most trivial to implement (just another friggin cannon), but this is SOE, so absurdity ensues.
    • Up x 3
  3. Pikachu

Yeah ig sounds strange that tve simple railgun of all things would have technical issues. :confused: Btw give ESF high velocity flamethrowers.
  4. Tekuila

Anyone else think that it's funny that all the changes for ESF so far have been pretty bad around the whole. So far the ESF update has pretty much been a bag of nerfs.
    • Up x 11
  5. Maljas23

The A2G missles ESFs are about to get sound awesome. Ill be sure to give them a test run. Always felt that ESFs needed a bomber role but I won't complain.

Also, making Locust Cannons into a nosegun kinda sucks, but at least they will be different for each faction.
    • Up x 1
  6. Kail

These all sound good:
    • External Fuel Tank Certifications
    • Feedback Improvements
    • Engagement Radar
    Locust CannonsI'm disappointed in; what made the weapon fun was fact that they weren't nose-cannons - I hope I'm not the only only one who had dreams of having an AA-suited nose-cannon with being able to switch to miniguns for ground / gal/ lib fighting.

Mass Drivers I don't mind. I never thought it was terribly exciting or interesting in their current form.

Coyote Missiles and Guided Missiles - I have concerns about these. I really don't want another lock-on rocket, especially one whose sole purpose is to annoy the hell even more out of vehicle drivers; at least with ground lockons you can use terrain and range to deal with it. Personally, I'd rather see both scrapped and try using the proposed Coyote mechanic on the current anit-air missiles (not just A2A, but all anti-air) - I'd be really interested to see how it would feel if you had missiles that would "sticky" to you when aimed mostly-correct, but you could use Afterburner to gain enough speed to leave lock-on range.

Plus in crowded skies, breaking a lock on yourself might just mean it acquires a friend! Could be deliciously chaotic.
    • Up x 3
  7. EmperorPenguin5

The ESF update when they Balanced all the noseguns so they each had their own faction traits WAS THE BEST THING THEY EVER DID! Everything after that however. Was basically a big middle finger to all skilled pilots and aces. And many have quit because of it.
    • Up x 5
  8. Larington

Just a quick note - Looking forward to lock ons showing on radar, hope ground vehicles get that info too.

Curious about talk of the Locust being a nose gun, I was originally contemplating the idea of an ESF loadout with PPA on nose and Locust on wings, sounds like that won't be possible anymore, not a big deal though.

More lock ons? Are you going to nerf rocket pods then or will the lock on air to ground missiles be clear and far better for damage than rocket pods?
  9. BodyBagCowboy

I feel for you guys who do not like this, nobody likes getting nerfed. BUT.... This update is not about what the ace veteran pilots with sick KDRs want. This is about getting people to go back up in the air and be able to actually play there. I have a few thousand certs in my scythe as well, and a few hundred kills under my belt with it. Make no mistake, the ESF is completely out of control powerful against everything in the game. The good pilots need to be checked, lock ons do this, changes to thrust do this, weapons that can be used on the move by ordinary pilots do this. Battles are always cooler when the sky is full of aircraft, the Devs know this, and they have some pretty good ideas here to make that happen. I find that the loudest crying about changes to aircraft are coming from the guys who want to dominate everything and everyone using only noseguns with rocketpods. Any counter to their asinine juking reverse manuevers and camera switching are unacceptable. You can almost hear the squealing when they talk about lock ons. I bought and fully certed A2AM so I can troll these guys harder. Hopefully they don't quit after the update, I would miss the hate tells.
    • Up x 5
  10. Wizz

I feel like the heat coyote missiles would be okay, but the seeking range needs to be like 50m. Anything more will just make them horribly OP. Other than that these are nice changes.

Extremely concerned about the a2a missile changes for dodging. You can not dodge g2a missiles currently so changing them to be like those would pretty much accomplish nothing. They need a roll back.
  11. asdfPanda

I was going to do something similar, with m14 banshee on primary and locust on secondary. It would be so much cooler if the locust cannons could be secondaries. Obviously, it would have to be balanced, with a long switch to secondary time, so that people couldn't do absurd sustain fire with an AA primary and the locust cannons.

It's unfortunate, though. I was really looking forward to that setup. My dream of making the mossie an A10 Warthog will never be met :(
  12. WyrdHarper

SOE, listen to your community. Nobody wants more lock-ons. More will continue to ruin air-to-air gameplay. Most of the air outfits have quit, and NONE of these changes are likely to bring them back. Lock-ons are an annoying mechanic that is harder on newbies, and "as easy to dodge as current ones" means still pretty undodgeable. And the grief about A2G lock-ons will be huge, and is going to piss off every tanker out there. Rocket pods are controversial enough despite being dumbfire. What is the purpose of the lib now?

Additionally, noseguns are less balanced than ever, with rotaries being pushed out of their role. Then you add in a new nosegun? Well-intentioned or not, it looks like a huge cashgrab, and many people were looking forward to wing-mounted chainguns. No one is going to be surprised if they're OP, just disappointed.

Nerfing afterburners is also obnoxious. They are things that require skill and thought, even stock--now maneuverability is going to be reserved for those with lots of certs, and who only want to use noseguns. Without air goals, that means it's just going to be more air duels new pilots seem to hate, and easily farmed slow pilots farming ground. You're basically turning the ESF into a cheap powerup instead of providing new and interesting options.

The radar update with lock-ons showing is great, make ESF ones one color and G2A another and people will love it.

Everything else though is very poorly thought out, and really shows SOE's lack of familiarity with the air game. There are lots of other things people have suggested/wanted for air, but none of these are it. If you're trying to force air (and armor with a G2A lock, holy bunnies) out of the game, keep it up. Despite dozens of suggestion threads with hundreds of replies, it's extremely disappointing to see the direction this update is taking the airgame.

One suggestion, make tomcats guided and people will be very happy--most pilots were looking forward to all rockets receiving that change, but I guess we're not getting that change, huh?

Tl;dr No more lock-ons ffs.
    • Up x 15
  13. Elaan

How many of you A2AM crybabbies have Araxium Medals on your pods after a year of farming infantry with the same cheap mechanic you're crying about now? The hypocrisy is astonishing.
    • Up x 2
  14. Phrygen

oh....

Here we go......

I'm just going to say, as a player that uses low-medium settings, I feel like i have trouble identifying enemy targets. Sometimes it feels like enemies don't render as quickly or as far away (despite 2k render distance). Sometimes its because i can't see the trails aircraft leave as in their wake as well, if at all. Feels like i'm constantly at a disadavntage.

That is my two cents.
  15. ABATTLEDONKEY

Everyone needs to take a chill pill on the coyote missiles. From what i understand, they could be so sensitive that they are essentially better than lock-ons, or they could be so loose that they would only hit a hovering target from a MINOR crosshair misalignment. We first saw this mechanic in BF Vietnam, and the things worked wonderfully. You could hit a fairly straight flying aircraft, or a hovering helicopter, but it added a HUGE dynamic that made using them more of an art, and fighting against them a very fun "game". These things could be the bane of the ESF update, or they could be the best thing we've seen for pilots.

GO TO THE PTS AND TRY THEM OUT, AND GIVE YOUR FEEDBACK!!! if you dont, you have no reason to complain when they go live.
    • Up x 4
  16. ABATTLEDONKEY

If your talking about the render distance that you set in your settings, then you are confusing terrain redering, and player rendering. the render distance in your settings option is for world items. Each player, and vehicle, is rendered different from that, and has their own priority.
  17. sustainedfire

Disappointed that mass drivers, and locust cannons are being removed and completely altered.

They were fresh and new weapon types and styles, and would have been fun additions.

So the game gets another nose cannon, and more lock-ons. Certainly not excitement inducing content.
    • Up x 1
  18. WyrdHarper

Aces do better with lock-ons. After the buff to lock-ons, the average BR of fliers went up significantly--all lock-ons do is force newbie pilots out of the sky, and empty the skies of pilots.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AshlLUNJ_SE8dF9NcGJNVzl5WndWNlNHNkF3RVdacmc&usp=sharing
    Seriously, there have been a number of new players making threads about how difficult learning to fly is because of lock-ons. I work with new players all the time, and they are almost never the ones advocating for more locks, because they're the ones who suffer the most because of them. Many of the old aces who were around at launch have quit, and it is a very different game. There are a number of reasons the sky is devoid of large groups of air, and one is because all of the groups who fielded large groups of air and provided training and support and a community for new pilots have quit.

Also for everyone going LOLROCKETPODS, enjoy getting all your armor eaten by ESF-mounted strikers (because that is exactly what the new guided missiles are). Seriously, the best new loadout will be Banshee/Guided Missile because you can explosive spam infantry and lock air and armor into oblivion. Yes, ESF's are becoming more versatile. GG.
    • Up x 11
  19. Alarox

I like guided missiles. The ones they're adding are more skill based and counterable than the current lock-ons, by the way.
  20. Flashtirade

I wouldn't have as many problems with new missiles (and the old ones) if they increased the reload times on all of them so they can't be just spammed over and over. They're supposed to be supplements to the noseguns, not replacements.

Except for guided missiles. I would have rather had the MDs because those would be easier to balance and more fun to use.

e: misread the guided missiles part, looks like they'll be more like the passive radars