ESF Update Update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kevmo, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Sten

Curious if anyone tried fighting a good lib crew on PTS with those changes yet. That's a sweet buff for libs vs esf.
  2. lesserbob

I love how you think opening a forum response with an abusive sentance results in people taking you seroisuly. Does it work for you in the real world too?
  3. EmperorPenguin5

Its the wrong kind of buff Sten...
    Its a bad buff in the form of weakening ESF's ability to use their aerial skills for a win. Which will instead just make everyone choose to snipe Libs from a distance. WHICH again is then a nerf to you because its a much larger pain in the *** to try and chase them down.
  4. EmperorPenguin5

Very good point.
    Flak is still as effective as ever if the driver has good situational awareness.(skyguard)
    This should teach you that you shouldn't just roll armor and think that you won't be countered by something that isn't armor.
    But Zerg will always exist, and continue to gain strength as SOE further forces larger and larger conflicts and reduces the amount of strategies and tactics you can utilize to win..
    I really think though MBT's shouldn't cost 450. When their usefulness is minimal unless used in large numbers. Even then you need support units,(engineers, or the costly but oh so worth it proximity repair sunderer).
    SOE just doesn't know how strategy or tactics are utilized with the parameters they give us.
    (parameters being weapons, strength of them, ease of use, etc..)(positioning too)
    And Elastaplast There is one thing that prevents us from pointing straight down.
    (It's this thing called gravity you see, and they apparently made all vehicles heavier so we fall even FASTER now.)
    Lastly you're thinking about this game as a COD like engagement it isn't and shouldn't ever be.
    If you choose to run alone you choose to risk being ganked, or picked off.

You weren't repeating, you had a good question, sadly, I don't know the answer to the range. But I do know it would be very difficult to do what you're suggesting. (at least sustained fire, without having to reposition yourself again)

I'd rather dynamic bombs but hey.... Lets use a guided missile.......
  5. Sten

That's what I meant. It's a buff for libs against any esf not running the ext AB tanks... I'm curious to what extent, hence why I asked if anybody tested it in PTS against a good lib crew.
  6. Roland2TowerCame

Changes to A2A missiles for PU002 were not intentional and being addressed. After the fixes, they should be as dodge-able as other lock-on rockets.

Lock-ons haven't been dodgable for months since you guys made them go around obstacles and not hit the ground.
  7. Tuco

You're wasting your time. You're balancing everything on how the battle plays out while camping a spawn building. How a battle plays out when there are 5 AA maxes and 10 strikers sitting behind the magic windows of a spawn building.

If the devs ever get around to making 90% of battles not involve camping a spawn building, all their previous "balance passes" are going to be meaningless and need to be tweaked ....AGAIN.
  8. JEFCCC

Why does everyone have to spend hours learning to fly to even try air combat?

While I'd love it if planetside 2's air game was world war 2, I have to acknowledge that this is only possible if the skill cap for air is lowered.
    Still, there's probably better ways to do this, such as, AN AIR TUTORIAL!!!
  9. EmperorPenguin5

Don't FORGET THE increase in velocity now you can't even outrun them.
  10. EmperorPenguin5

(it still burns through in 4 ignitions with Fuel tanks Sten)
  11. VoidMagic

I can't believe more people haven't realized this yet. I expect massive tears if these things go live like that. Also the A2AM are fine. In a 1 on 1 if you "grab your opponent by the belt buckle" and go nose to nose the A2AM are useless, it's a non issue, it's only the mass of cowards trying to run that die tired and cry endlessly.

and no, I don't use them, I'd rather carry pods for both ground and air work, I have them, and used to use them to take pot shots at targets in crowded friendly airspace.
    • Up x 1
  12. Keiichi25

A few inputs on regards to this...

Engagement radar is an improvement... Given we are flying Post Vietnam Era aircraft yet have literally World War 2 Level situational awareness of aircraft in ESFs...

I do have some concerns about this...

Good to know this is coming... For too long, pilots needed this information, especially with regards to A2A and G2A lockons. Pilots are not able to react appropriately to lockon threats. In planetside 1, we were given the A2A warning versus G2A lockon warning and we also were given an actual indication of where the threat was coming from. This allowed pilots with NO countermeasures (Since Planetside 1 HAD NONE) to react to the threat appropriately. In this game, the major downside is the fact while you had counter measures, even good pilots had little idea of the 'threat level' in some cases, hence the aggreviating arguments about Lockon weapons in general. Please put this as a 'forefront' priority.

Technically, the Locust Cannons should be 'locust guns'. The typical generic nose gun for ESFs. The other nose guns should be secondary 'wing' guns for the 'harder hitting'. In the old games like Battle over Britain and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, the German planes were outfitted with two guns, the higher capacity, lower damage guns to help soften up the target and the secondary, lower capacity, heavier damage guns for the finish offs.

What you should have gone for in this situation is making the rotaries be good for the anti-air, better chance of doing more damage to air, and the other nose gun a bit heavier in damage to be used for ground target strafing, but lower capacity, an literally acting as 'cannons' to the level of just larger rounds, slower firing. In the case of the Battle over Britain game, the 9mms were the chief main MGs, and the 12mm cannons were used to deliver more of a punch, so in the case of this game, I would liken the heavier cannons for the ESFs being like the 35mms in Planetside 1.

To be honest - I think this is a bad idea... Heat-seeking - Still a lockon weapon and will still make people get pissy about it. This is also closer to an actual 'fire and forget' system that has higher potential of griping than the current lockon weapons, in my opinion. And this is coming from a person who has been defending the Lockon weapons in this game so far. If anything, this should be working the way the Wasp A2A missile system back in Planetside 1, which required the pilot to maintain lock through out flight. While it is low damage, the thing is, how often people would be firing those missiles. In a 1 vs 1 fight, this is just too annoyingly easy in comparison to the Nose gun, even if you kept the number of missiles to a low number and it is low damage... It lends too much credence to the issue of lockon weapons providing no skill.

Also not too sure about this as well. While it cannot be used against infantry, tankers have a hard enough time against Air with Rocketpods. Guided rounds like this, you are basically giving Air their version of an Annihilator/striker, where tanks have a hard enough time getting cover from Daltons at times, you are providing ESFs the ability to do the same. While you do require the Air to 'stay on target' with regards to it, the draw back of the rocket pod attacks is that you have to be pretty good to spam a moving tank or a tank aware of you making a rocket pod spam run. A guided round doing MORE damage than a rocket pod missile... Well, you will need to make sure the number of munitions they can do this is way less and hopefully you mean the guided round being more than a rocket pod output, you mean on average, otherwise, you will have to re-look at Anti-Air.

This is necessary, more so given the fact that unlike G2A missiles, the A2A is difficult to avoid and given the lack of knowing it is a G2A or an A2A, the only other countermeasure to an A2A besides flare, is knowing where it is coming from and able to force the A2A user to engage with guns because you made it difficult to lock on. But if you are being chased and not knowing this is the case, you wouldn't be able to counter it once the flares pop.
    • Up x 1
  13. Zorro

This is a good start, I especially like the new missiles. Do keep in mind that this is only a quick fix, and even with the upcoming update air combat will be only 10% complete.
    • Up x 1
  14. Midnightmare

Think my lib will have a few months break now.

At least to they get upgraded, and hopefully becomes worth the 10 k points again :p
  15. Keiichi25

Yes... And how many places actually ALLOW 5 AA MAXes and 10 Striker users to sit behind the 'magic window' of a spawn room... So far... VERY FEW.
    • Up x 1
  16. Tuco

how about every single base in the game.
  17. StayFrostyGents

bump for truth
    • Up x 3