Entire platoon rage quit from Phoenix spam

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tanelorn, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Nakor

Sounds like your platoon should have utilized some tactics instead of trying to zerg an entrenched enemy with superior cover. Oh well, TR gonna zerg I guess.
    • Up x 1
  2. MBRicochet

So what would you suggest? Gal drop?

Maybe call in an arty strike to soften them up...wait. Not in game.

Oh! I know! Maybe get some air power to help cover the...wait... air is bad.

So, rocket launcher able to maximize ability of entrenched troops to kill people from behind cover in game that utterly caters to such tactics is OP. Duh.

Infantry on a hill is the most OP unit in the game. I love how 666th picked up on that. I'm never in a fight with them for more then a nano second before it turns into a repeat of Gettysburg. Damn shame Connery TR hasn't learned the value of humping hill.

First team to the hill with large numbers wins. Unless you bring in extreme numbers and clog the enemy guns with your guts.

Kill all variety! Zerg zerg zerg. No teamplay or tactics. They are not allowed. Most best thing is infantry walking at each other shooting. They need to remove all terrain and stuff.
  3. Pat Cleburne

This thread is old news. This was started during the first week of the phoenix launch when there were literally thousands of these things flying everywhere instagibbing infantry and armor. They are still annoying, but nowhere near as bad as they were when they released.
  4. soeguud

here's an interesting thought. The phoenix is only good when you've got a whole squad running them. A WHOLE FREAKIN' SQUAD. AS IF TR DOESN'T NEED ANY MORE GOD DAMN ADVANTAGES WITH TANKS AND GUNS THAT SHRED INFANTRY, AN ESF WITH THE SMALLEST PROFILE AND A ROCKET LAUNCHER THAT PRETTY MUCH INSTAKILLS ANYTHING SMALLER THAN A FREAKIN HARASSER.
  5. Jogido

how many were you? It sounds like you guys got beaten straight up by 60 NC? That's a lot of NC...
  6. Jalek

Usually get that many NC together, and one half is running over the other half with vehicles, then the vehicles start getting blown up by the newly squashed.
  7. LT_Latency

Is the thread still relevant?? There have been nerfs to this weapon scince it was posted
    • Up x 1
  8. BarxBaron

The real problem is that half the time they look like they are going straight freakin' up and thus are impossible to shoot down.
    (hint: they're not really up there)

Missles still don't render correctly worth a crap.
    • Up x 1
  9. Zan_Aus

Just because someone has measles is no reason to give them whooping cough as well.

Yes, what you say about broken map design, base design and various other fundamental mechanics is true. However, the Phoenix plays upon all these bad issues and amplifies them. Which is simpler and more realistic, rebuilding the whole game from the ground up or fixing a couple of problematic weapons that make existing problems worse?
  10. Jex =TE=

I made a post asking specifically for this - COVER - this is what we need more of. My opinion is that since bases are never getting fixed, just add some more crap in between them (but don't screw it up for vehicles). Fights outside have always been more fun than fights at bases, but the lack of cover means often 20 people are hiding behind one tree

Some ideas for what could be added as cover are as follows;

More trees
    Fallen trees
    Tree stumps
    More rocks
    partially/mostly destroyed singular buildings
    Wrecks of vehicles
    Ditches
    Craters
    Trenches
    Walls
    Hedgerows
    a huge pair of glowing boobies

Whatever, add more it but don't be stupid and make it impossible to drive anywhere.

Take the fight out the bases, it's a lot more fun. With more cover, it could be a lot more tactical as well.
  11. Biytor

Phoenix was a bad idea in PS1 and it's still a bad idea in PS2. A missile launcher that you can fire with impunity from cover and guide to the target... Yeah that was yet again another brilliant move by the Devs to reintroduce one of the most annoying things from PS1.

To fix the Phoenix you need to turn it into a wire guided missile that requires the shooter to have line-of-sight on the target. This removes the impunity aspect of the weapon and puts them on the field exposed to fire like the other 2 empires.
  12. NietCheese

Not a bad idea, but I think 5 infantry points per missile is more reasonable. They need to be cheap because they are essential for Heavy Assault's viability as an anti-vehicle class.

You would have to attach the price to ALL missiles for it to be fair. Ready to pay 1 infantry resource per striker missile?

The only problem that opens up is what happens when you get warp gated by a bunch of tanks and can't use missiles on them because you have no resources..

Also, whilst AV MAXES do cost resources, they can be replenished with ammunition non-stop, and they can be revived to continue spamming when they die.
  13. NietCheese

You should try playing against Fracture Maxes, AV Turrets and Strikers on a hill.
    Pretty much impossible to approach, either on ground or in the air.
  14. DCWarHound

How about a small change to phoenixes,instead of making it TV guided,make it wire guided like the AT launcher in BC2.

Still remember the epicness,too bad TR and VS don't have their won guided launchers (at least not that i know of)
  15. Cab00se187

It's ok for a sniper to OHK kill infantry but god forbid, a rocket should just graze off of me
    • Up x 1
  16. Skippytjc

First up: Strikers suck and shouldn't be part of any conversation.

Secondly: I agree, they should not have the maneuverability to go from cover to cover. I can see maybe shooting from cover to the open or vice versa, but cover to cover is pretty OP>
  17. Messaiga

What makes you think Strikers suck? It allows the TR Heavy to handle any type of threat, maybe not instagib in one mag, but still good. 500 meters range, more damage per magazine than any rocket launcher, I don't see a problem. (Other than the fact that Lock-On Weapons are not really any fun to use) But anyway back on topic there is no way to make it unable to shoot from cover to cover because there are an unlimited amount of angles you could shoot from and guide it too allowing you to pretty much bypass any type of cover unless it is a wall higher than 50 meters and you are not already above that height. I really don't see how the Phoenix is OP, just put a a few engineers to repair the sunderer and you are safe. It takes enough time to travel the rocket and reload that there is no excuse to die to a Phoenix unless you cannot repair, it hits your rear a few times, or you were already weakened enough to be destroyed by one.
  18. Skippytjc

I have the striker, used as much as I could stand and it sucks. Its range is a joke and even after the update the lock on takes too long. Any half competent pilot can out maneuver s Striker.

I f you have chaff and can fly better than a day one rookie Strikers are meaningless to a pilot. As far as Strikers against ground targets, they simply dont do enough damage. One engineer can out repair 2 people with Strikers hitting a Sundy, thats pathetic.

Strikers suck.

Ill tell you what, lets trade. The NC can have the Striker and the TE get the Phoenix. Thought so...
  19. Messaiga

You seem like you exaggerate quite a bit, 2 Strikers will out damage one Engineer, 2 Phoenix's will out damage one Engineer, Hell 2 Lancers might be able to do that. As for pilots, G2A Rockets are not meant to brutally destroy aircraft, they are meant to deter Aircraft and prevent them from farming by making them think "LOCK-ON ROCKETS, I GOTTA G.T.F.O. You still get points for landing a couple rockets but Flak is what the real AA is, although a couple of strikers are devastating to all sorts of targets (excluding infantry).
  20. MilitiaMan

Do you know what NC deal with fighting the TR?

Beep...Beep...Beep. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP