Entire platoon rage quit from Phoenix spam

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tanelorn, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Hosp

So the Persians, instead of finding a way around the mountain to the Spartans, should've just went to France? Brilliant!
  2. NoctD

No air support for the platoon? No Galaxy drops on top of them?

Your fault you lost, cause the platoon didn't adapt.

Its just as stupid as when people try to run a couple of tanks/sundys at a base camped full of AV mana turrets and Strikers.
    • Up x 1
  3. NovaAustralis

*Note to self: "spam more Phoenix rockets". Okay, jotted that down, now to reply to Tanelorn here...*

1. A dedicated engy or two (preferably with fully certed repair tool) repairing a Sunderer under fire will get a lot of certs/XP, help the team and keep the Sunderer alive. Tried that yet? Or does everyone on the team just spawn'n'run'?

2. The Phoenix doesn't do that much damage compared to other types of rockets.

3. Phoenix rocket users require a steady source of ammo (I.e: an Engy dropping ammo packs) or else they get 4-6 shots then have to stop to resup.
    A constant stream of Phoenix rockets implies you have encountered a fairly organised team and therefore are in for a hard fight regardless.
    Relish the tough battle for they are the best!

4. Have you tried shooting at the slow-moving Phoenix rocket while it is in flight?
    A single small arms hit will send it wildly out of control.
    A dual-burster MAX will pretty much shut them down.

(Sorry fellow NC for my traitorous advice to the TR commie whiner, but I took pity on poor oppressed Tanelorn)
  4. Cinnamon

Worked for Hannibal.
    • Up x 1
  5. LordMondando

Hannibal was OP.
  6. Antich

The turning radius of the rocket = you can´t shoot smth that is hidden for eg ... behind a building. I don´t see how a endless torrent of Phoenix missiles took down every sundy while you had no way to retaliate. If they had the angle to hit a properly covered sundy then any other rocket launcher would have and would have gotten more dps while doing it. Yes you can stay in cover while shooting it BUT you only really need to get out of cover for less then a second to shoot a dumbfire.
  7. LaidbackNL

Just throwing this out there.
    What if the Phoenix's projectiles were controllable, only from the player's POV, not an onboard cam? Like a BF:BC's AT4 sort of deal?
    Hits like these are so rewarding..
    I'm not too bothered about the whole thing though, adapt and overcome right? Im just sayin', it's an idea perhaps...

8. Evil Monkey

I'm normally NC. Played my TR alt today to test a Vulcan Prowler. It was unusual for my death killcam not to feature Pheonixes and AT turrets - usually at a ratio of 2:1. In hours of play, I think I died once to something else - three Vanguards I tried to take 1:3....

Swapping to LA, I noticed the Pheonix spam continued even on foot, in bases, etc. The little glowing balls of blue light heralded every NC assault....

----------------------------------------------------------

Playing as NC, saw only a few Lancers, and all the Strikers fired at me (not that many) I easily dodged behind rocks and rises in the ground. .....With a Vanguard, which is hardly the most agile tank...

It's weird for me to side with VS/TR, but on what I have seen in the last few days the Pheonix needs a severe nerf (or something to make it unattractive the unwashed masses). Heck, a cert cost/missile... anything.... I'd say a majority of NC players are HA, and most of those are using Pheonix....

No wonder Vanguards are rare - simply pull up a Sunderer with HA, spam AV turrets and Pheonixes to sweep enemy armour away, then move in.... NC has no real need for a MBT....
  9. EaterOfBabies

Got to play after a week absence last week and rolling any sort of vehicle is more of a chore then anything else with the intro of the Phoenix, just as I knew it would be. Tried rolling a Prowler, Lightning and Sunderer several times only to get hit by invisible missiles from invisible troops. I basically spent about 5/6ths of my time repairing and the other 6th actually fighting. Prior to the Phoenix it was about half and half.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like the new ESLs and want to see more of this kind of uniqueness in future updates. But, given the different mechanics of PS2 vs. PS1 (ex: 1-person paper tanks with damage multipliers on rear/side/top armor, non-cloaking AMS, etc.), I don't think exact replicates of PS1 launcher mechanics is the way to go. The lancer and striker at least have some balance since you can see the person firing it and thus return fire. Not so the Phoenix.

Personally, I'd like to see them make the Phoenix wire-guided like the AV turret, and fix the consistency of the missiles showing up since it seems to be 50/50 right now as to whether you will see it or not.

As it is right now though, I'm just looking for good fights with VS, since those seem to be a bit more balanced and fun at the moment.
  10. Shehadi

only in wide open ground. if you only knew how easy it was to avoid those rockets
  11. SNAFUS

except a stryker can't lock on to anything but a vehicle. And lacks a dumb fire altogether, leaving us out to dry on the potential infantry farm.
  12. SharpeShooter

Its funny how you say everyone is all about nerfing stuff when you yourself wanted a nerf for C4 lol I hate hypocrites you are only fighting the nerf bat now because you use the phoenix and enjoy it!

To back my point up above.
  13. Messaiga

The day they make it wire guided is the day pigs fly, if they do that it is essentially a mobile AV Turret that requires an ammo box at your feet for mass effectiveness. I payed 1000 certs for a camera guided rocket launcher with a range of 300 meters to be highly effective against vehicles, not get owned by snipers by being even more sniper bait than usual. The idea of the Phoenix is that you can hit people behind cover from cover, not that you can hit people behind cover while being very exposed. Now as it seems I may be one of those so called "Noobs who defend something that is annoying (Translation for you guys = Supposedly OP) to the death. But really, it already got the part it wasn't supposed to do nerfed which was infantry, if it suffers an Anti-Vehicle nerf then it is f*cked because it is the only job it is really good at, it can't do air well (unlike the Striker or a high skilled vanu player with the Lancer), it cannot really be used in close quarters (unlike a smart vanu player with the Lancer), so the Phoenix's only real job is Anti-Tank/Sunderer which it actually does very well. I sure do get a liberator kill or Mosquito kill/Scythe kill with it every once in a while and if there are no armored vehicles around I will shoot it at infantry but even then chances are those guys are gonna go back behind cover that I can't reach them in, get healed back up, shields replenish, and go back up. So basically Phoenix = Primarily Anti-Armor weapon that can be shot behind cover and hit vehicles behind mild cover with a decent turning radius and high payload, can annoy the hell out of infantry too because if they get hit by it they will most likely go behind farther cover, replenish shields and health, then go back to where they were previously. The Phoenix does indeed need to render to the enemies so it can be shot down like they planned, and my Phoenix does get shot down quite a bit lately so it is less of a problem as it was before but seriously, it seems like everybody is all about the nerf-hammer.
  14. HadesR

And yet the Striker is still killing more vehicles than the Phoenix

:eek:
    • Up x 1
  15. EaterOfBabies

I hear ya. And if I was primarily NC I wouldn't want anything changed either. But, play against it for a while and your perspective might change a bit.

And yeah, I realize the Phoenix will probably stay the same and continue to frustrate, so I guess my alternative is to play more of my NC alt or just avoid NC fights altogether. Guess we will see how things go.
  16. PS2Freak

Again. poor poor tr with their underpowered striker.
  17. madman278

Thats ok the Phoenix kills nearly 2x more infantry than the Striker or Lancer so it is overall a win win for the Phoenix. Problem is it doesn't rake in as much XP since it is targeting lower XP infantry / land vehicles than Striker which can target air / land and occasional infantry who runs in the way.
  18. HadesR

I don't know .. Most of my " infantry " kill's post nerf have come from killing the MBT/driver at the same time ... It's a very good weapon for hitting people as they run off to repair due to being able to find them behind cover ..
    While the other two ESRL maybe give more time to bail ? ... Dunno .. Just from my own personal experience
  19. ggallin

.thinking....
  20. Cougarbrit