Entire platoon rage quit from Phoenix spam

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tanelorn, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Ash87

I actually created the below directed at a now closed thread, but it fits in rather well here:

An explanation of the Striker's lower skill cap:
    The reason the Striker requires less skill, is because it is a lock-on launcher. You have to track 2 seconds for a lock and then hope that the gun fires, bypassing the dud bug. Hit rate for lock-ons for me, is about 70%, because the lockon could careen into a tree, and for the longest time the lockon pathfinding was horribad, but that still ignores that it takes Zero skill to fire the Striker. Comparatively to the manual launcher, which requires you line up a shot, factor in drop, factor in movement, factor in range, and THEN fire. The Manual launcher also has the ability to hit infantry with great effect and can be used effectively against maxes... all of this gives it a much Higher level of entry, higher skill ceiling, and a much greater payoff.

With that above 70% hit rate, you also have to factor in that the striker's individual rockets have horrible damage. If everything hits it's target, the striker is a great weapon, but factoring in flares and everything else, the striker is only truly good in groups, where you have 3 people locking onto the same thing and showering it with rockets (Which is kind of universal of all weapons in PS2, so I hesitate to say this makes it a "Good" weapon).

Manual launchers like the S1, Shrike, Decimator, and even I would even say, the Lancer, require much more skill, but with much greater reward.
  2. FigM

At just 5 points per missile you could actually spam missiles indefinitely. Resources are generated very quickly. I play Light Assault quite often and use C4 all the time, 2x C4 costs 200 resources. Yet I almost never run out cause I can stock up to 40 C4. If HA can stock up to 100 missiles, at 20 resources each, they would probably never run out either. It just makes them think a little more before firing it
  3. Strottinglemon

I would make them much easier to shoot down. If you could see one coming, it would only take a few hits to detonate it.
  4. Nocturnal7x

Pro tip, phoenix spam ends if you advance.

You are welcome.
  5. Tanelorn

At least the person who is causing the beeping can be shot while he stands in full view acquiring a lock on. This, and that minor nuances in terrain will intercept your missiles.
  6. NietCheese

You aren't considering the rate people fire missiles. Phoenix spammers are firing 5-12 per minute. At 5 resources per missiles you are talking 25-60 resources per minute. Resources do not accumulate that quickly and anyone who tries to spam them will quickly run out.

You have to also consider the impact on other missiles. How many Hawk lock on missiles are fired at ESFs just for the ESF to flare and escape, or duck behind a mountain and escape. How many Strikers are thrown in the bin because of flares.

If you attach high resource prices you are completely throwing the game balance in the favor of aircraft and armor. You would also push people into playing MAX more often, but at the same time, finding the resources to spawn a MAX would be tough.
  7. Chioxin

I know it sucks, but just sit there and shoot the missiles out of the sky. Everyone seems to forget this but you can basically figure out where the "Screaming Blueberries" as we like to call them, are coming from and just pluck them out of the sky. I wish we got XP for doing this, because it's not an exciting job.... but in the end, it saves your sunderer... so it's a thing to do.

"But they can come from anywhere!"

No not really. They have a large turning ark and they slow down over time. They're pretty easy to see coming, and to hit. There is a bug though where some Screaming Blueberries seem to just go in a straight line and explode... they actually hit their target and they were being steered, but you the viewer didn't see this. Though honestly? That just makes them easier for you to hit.

They're not super sonic agile rockets... They're slow.... and dumb... Just shoot them. They'll give up eventually unless they're doing it from behind a spawn shield.
    • Up x 1
  8. MilitiaMan

Because shooting a guy that is standing still and has no control of his avatar is just so bloody hard.
    • Up x 1
  9. TehGrimZa

Take a moment and play in our shoes [NC], and see what a 5 man team + 1 engi can do with strikers. Your argument is invalid.
  10. Fenrisk

Anyone saying that any of the new rocket launchers require skill needs to seriously re-examine their definition of skill.

Lancer = point and click. (no counter)
    Striker = hover point over target for a few seconds then click, click, click, click, click. (countered by smoke & flares & terrain)
    Phoenix = hide somewhere and click for guided rocket spam. (no counter)

What they all do require is squad tactics to take out their targets.
  11. Holomang

Strikers are entirely countered by cover.

Phoenixes are not.
  12. Cab00se187

lol, ok:rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  13. TintaBux

I looked at the thread title without opening thread and knew it had to be TR, and what do you know, open it up and it's TR yet again crying about every little thing.
  14. Stew360

15. Gobmi

Those pesky small Peenixes make big things...like crying babies ;)
  16. iller

HAHAHAHAHA. good one.. And Atleast ours are actually visible and make noise.
    I still haven't managed to hit a single flying ESF with it b/c they ALL hear it coming somehow.. over their JET ENGINES.
  17. lilleAllan

Uhm, yes they very much are.
    Phoenix rockets turn very slowly, so you just need to use that brain of yours to:
    A) figure out where the missiles are coming from
    B) Go behind cover
    let your vehicle/yourself hug the cover with a few metres distance to the corners, Phoenix users can't hit you due to the turning arc.

I know this from actually using the Phoenix extensively. Try it yourself in VR.

Hot tip: Also, if there are only 1-2 Phoenix users you can basically outrepair them since the DPS is insanely low.
  18. Tanelorn

Is this a troll attempt? Because the whole concept of the Phoenix is that you fire it from behind cover.