Darker Night is in trouble

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Oct 30, 2013.

1. HydroBIG BANG

Bring it back! I want there to be nighttime in this game,not some stupid filter.
    • Up x 2
  2. ForeFront0fFear

Can you hear us now SOE!?!?!?!?

BRING BACK THE NIGHT!
  3. Crackulous

Darker nights would be interesting, if only the lightning is changed to be like they were in beta. On the test, the sky is black, and you can still see the terrain as clear as day.
  4. EmptyCrazyORC

They probably don't have time to implement a new system of lighting equipment right now.
    So my suggestion is to make a day/night revamp (possibly with full length dark night) scheduled in the Roadmap.
    Before that I really hope they can at least bring a shorter & smaller version of darker night to the live server.
  5. TommyXXL

turn down your screen brightness if you want darker nights. i can barely see vs players at night with default settings, problem that is solved with switching my screen to "read mode".
    darker nights is one of the last things they should work at, first recert token, hossin, omfg, infiltrator, zoe balance, av turret fixing...... and so on, a lot of problems need to be fixed before they should waste their time with the so called darker nights.
  6. Ash87

This is largely subjective the following items you mentioned:
    first recert token: This one would be nice but it's hardly critical IMO
    hossin: Mostly done, but it needs to undergo it's optimization pass. The way it works now is that each continent gets a pass to update it. Indar's is done, Amerish's will come with the Amerish lattice (Which is being worked on) and there is still Esamir (Which I hope will be adding a ton of catwalks) before they do Hossin (Which still needs to be completed, but looks great right now).
    omfg: This is being worked on in conjunction with OMFG, and might maybe contribute at night time. Consider that they could cut render distance at night using this as part of it.
    infiltrator: Hardly critical, and Infiltrator is one of my most played classes.
    zoe balance: ZOE is fine, they need to bring lockdown and aegis up to ZOE's level.
    av turret fixing: This is already being planned, read the thread on the balance passes. It's number 2 or 3.

Thing is, from what we have seen, it's done. They have darker nights on the PTS. It just needs to be put onto live. The: "No development time to make this" ship has sailed. The ship is done, in dry dock and waiting for the homecoming queen to throw a wine bottle at it.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jac70

Truthfully I find dark nights annoying.

I've been playing on the test server last week or so and when it gets dark I can barely see anything. However I noticed enemies didn't seem to have the same issue seeing me and that's me in my totally invisible vanu ninja suit (if you listen to forum whiners :rolleyes: ). So what gives I was thinking, ESP cheats maybe!

Turns out I had my gamma on 0 but if you turn it up, night becomes day.

For that reason any talk of dark nights is moot as all that will happen is the try-hards will crank their gamma up to 100.
  8. daniel696

This image here ends this thread. Unfortunately.

[IMG]
  9. Cab00se187

That doesn't end anything. All I've read out of this thread is whiners worrying about their KDR and trying to find a way to cheat the system if darker nights happen
  10. daniel696

Ridiculous players, and the Devs still listen to them, this people that don't want darker nights is the same people that cheat the system. "I don't have like this, let me cheat". Just ridiculous.
    And yeah it ends, it's very clear that they wont be working on all the suggestion for the nights (light system).
  11. Zerlu

I posted these ideas a long time ago. Suffice to say, darker nights would be something that would pull me back to this game (6mo hiatus)

• Up x 1
  12. Phyr

I was going to post a picture to demonstrate why lowering my own brightness wouldn't have the same effect, but it's already at 0.
  13. Cab00se187

What I mean about cheating the system is anything to give them an edge, like lowering graphic quality to remove effects that would otherwise hinder their aim.
  14. daniel696

It's really really sad we players post many good post, create so many good threads, to the end we receive a little anwser almost saying this.
    "Nice constructive post and threads guys! But if you want a darker night in the moment low your brightness, thank you!".
    Really, really discouraging...
  15. HadesR

I think they will be darker than they are currently on Live, I know they are going to tweak them on PTS a bit .. But afaik they will not be making them " simulation " levels of darkness that a few players want .. Those levels would require a lot of work on bases for ultimately very little gain and for some players nothing but frustration ..
  16. daniel696

After this tweet I'm beggining to think the same thing.
  17. f0d

if you dont like night fine then turn up your gamma, i dont care if you did - dont deny the enjoyment of many others who do want it just because you want an advantage

they already have the coding for darker nights so it takes zero time for them to implement it, the only thing holding them back is negative people like you

cert token is more to do with if they want to do it and how they want to do it - once they decided that then they will (if they want to) put it in
    hossin is being worked on and just like a lot of other things its dev time was reduced for OMFG
    infiltrator? what about them?
    zoe balance can stay for a while, its not as imbalanced as most people think
    av turret fixing? you mean balancing? i think its another issue of HOW they will balance it more than anything and yet another case of OMFG taking up everyones time

darker nights will take zero time once they decide to put it in - it worked great in beta and its working on test server so NO time will be wasted on it compared to the other things you wanted

BRING ON THE NIGHT.!
  18. HadesR

In his defense I think he means it would take time to do properly. Adding things such as interior lights and maybe having to adapt how their whole lighting system works to accommodate that.

Because atm PTS suffers from it being dark everywhere .. Both indoors and out , which TBH is only half a job done.
    • Up x 1
  19. f0d

true i do agree it would be better with some indoor lights
    but even without them beta and pts was so much more fun to play on with darker nights

but overall i have to agree if it gets done it should be done properly with indoor lights and stuff (which i still dont think would take too long)
    also having indoor/exterior lights will make those gamma hackers probably go blind from the brightness lol so yeah i agree

BUT DAMN i do REALLY want those darker nights eventually though
  20. Phyr

Whoever did the indoor lighting for PS2 halfassed it. Most of it doesn't originate from an actual light source. There's so much they could do with lighting in this game with this engine.