Darker Night is in trouble

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Evilsooty

The darker the better! It gives flash lights a purpose and could lead to interesting things like flares and movable spot lights in bases.
    • Up x 1
  2. Giggily

When I realized that nights were darker I just turned my gamma up until I could see infantry pretty good without scopes, and it seemed like a bunch of other people did the same thing. I really hope that I never have to do that on live because it made the game look awful.
    • Up x 1
  3. KAHR-Alpha

A simple brightness filter shader acting before the brightness and gamma settings would effectively stop any sort of gamma exploiting.
    • Up x 3
  4. maxkeiser

Hopefully a mod will see this and ban you for CHEATING (because that's what it is).
    • Up x 3
  5. gzero

This post right here is it.
  6. Giggily

I also play on low graphics settings with shadows disabled to make it easier to see.

Ban me now, mods.
  7. Ash87

Okay, as of when I am typing, the numbers in this thread are:

62 people for darker nights
    15 people totally against
    10 people who are on the fence.
    I tried to ignore repeat posts as much as I could, but I admit there might be some variance in these numbers. If someone wants to be more indepth, go ahead.

The biggest issues people have are as follow:
    • Esamir should't have darker night because it's snowy and snow reflects light better than grass
    • There should be a day night rotation
    • There should be base lighting that helps light up the bases
    • There could hopefully be a gen that powers that lighting
    • Spotlights could be on vehicles
    • There needs to be something so it can't be negated by using gamma settings
    • Camo coverage needs to be equal
    KAHR-Alpha made a great suggestion about stopping a gamma exploit:
    Most of the 15 who straight dislike the idea mentioned one of the above issues too.

Now, SOE few things here
    • These are all reasonable complaints, and are things that can be taken into consideration
    • The vast majority of people want this regardless
    • Up x 7
  8. HadesR

I think they just need interior lights rather than light coverage over the whole base .. ATM it's like every where have suffered a blackout ..
    I wasn't quick enough to get a comparison SS but indoors should be as light as it is on low settings while outside is as it is on medium.
    • Up x 2
  9. gzero

To further support gama and setting exploits I present a forum post from the DayZ forum by SmashT
    This is Arma 3s solution to the problem
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 11
  10. IamDH

The solution is simple.

Do not make all nights the same. Make them different in the times they last, and the darkness could increase over time or something.
    or maybe some nights could be darker than others?

I don't see why anyone would want it out of the game. The gamma/brightness thing is the worst excuse ever. That makes as much sense as not playing planetside because someone might have an aimbot

The experience is better for you, people will manipulate it to their benefit but it wont affect your experience.

The only real problem i can see is the VS being invisible

TL; DR ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am with darker nights
    • Up x 1
  11. Kunavi

Again.. Not until we all stand out or blend in just the same(Regardless of Brightness/Contrast/Gamma tweaks). If that doesn't happen all this will accomplish is buff the VS more.
  12. JOups

YES to darker nights.

VS take this as an advantage... so will it be.
    Sometimes even in the tooltips it says: "Vanu mostly come by night" or something like that

Its a faction trade, so dont overact here.
    If the nights are realy dark, TR and NC are nearly invisble too.

Imagine what they could do if they expand the idea and setting of darker nights?
    First , not every night should be the same. Some should be quite bright, but otherone should get ptich black.
    variation... the game might benefit from that.

Next. Expanding the Light system.
    Many ppl before me had the idea of highlighting the Station with more and better Lights. Maybe some of them can be destroyed?
    Even better, build a Generator who powers all lights of a Station. If this Gen get blown up, the whole station sets into emergancy mode, so the lights are dimmed. So even a Techplant could trun dark inside?

This would open a whole new tactic branche an playstyle.

What they have to do if they keep the night system expanded?
    Change the HNRV system. so if its Dark, its ok you can use it, if you use it on daytime or inside lighted buildings, you gonna have a baaaad time ;)
  13. Evilsooty

Could have it so when a generator is blown all the lights go off in the base for a minute or so before a backup generator kicks in but the lights aren't as bright or are red.

They have this in Natural Selection 2 when the aliens take out a marine power supply: the area is plunged into darkness and for a short period and you see all the marine flashlights going on. It looks really cool and would make for some tense moments.
  14. gloowa

which is why good games simulate nighs by de-saturating color palette (and shifting it towards blue) and reducing contrast. No gamma/brightness tweaks will help with that.

+1 for dark nights if they are done gamma-tweak resistant.
    • Up x 2
  15. Ash87

Something mentioned on PSU that would be nice: IR, NV, or IRNV implants
  16. Boomotang

Darker nights always make lighting effects even more awesome. Please make the change to darker nights for good. Obviously some people will try to get an advantage by upping the gamma or brightness on their monitors, but I don't care. Turning graphics down also helps to find enemies faster, but that doesn't stop you from making awesome graphics. I play to have fun, and darker nights increase immersion and make it look better.
    • Up x 1
  17. CGar

I'm rallying for the darkness cause, say yes to darker nights!

I will say however, that it needs to be implemented so that brightness/gamma pumping doesn't work, and the players/bases need more lighting options.
    • Up x 1
  18. Being@RT

Why do I have this feeling the whole "discuss darker nights on forums" is just a trick SOE is playing to distract us from something else.. such as how abysmally the WDS "pre"-season was handled ("pre" because the reward decal doesn't appear to mention that..).

SOE can't seriously consider darker nights has a significant portion of the playerbase opposed to the idea, certainly not on the scale of Lattice or Pump-Action Shotguns, two additions they got feedback on well before their implementation and which had far larger number of opposing voices.

Unless they started measuring feedback also on quality, not just quantity..

edit: or there's a power struggle going on at SOE, and TRay can't convince someone blocking his vision other than by begging for more support from the players. That'd be really sad (either TRay vision is out of whack or whoever is blocking him is out of whack), so I hope it's not the case.
  19. whitupiggu

I guarantee everyone asking for darker nights will be crying about how hard VS and infiltrators are to see at night within a month.
    • Up x 1
  20. Ash87

There was a lack of feedback on the issue prior to the T-ray tweet. I had seen people mention it here and there, but again, the only big post I saw about it was on PSU. Since the post there has been 2 threads on reddit, 2 threads here, and the one thread that existed this whole time on PSU. This happens a lot, where some issue people want just kind of gets ignored... because people want it, they don't see a real need to get on the forums and write lengthy gushing posts about something they like. People prefer to focus on the negative, hence why you see dozens of threads on weapon balance, lack of meta game, etc. but not as many on "Oh I like the game because of X." That isn't necessarily a bad thing either, it's good that people express their negative opinions, but positive opinions often get lost in that.