Darker Night is in trouble

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Oct 30, 2013.

1. gzero

That is the point, players can adapt to it, it only proves further how much night previously did not do much for impacting the world.
  2. Phyr

What are you complaining about again? Something about it being to hard to see?
  3. BRG7780

Go back and read the quoted text, bro. He's talking about all these fantasies in his head where super-ninja teams will be sneaking around and scoring melee kills with their knives BECAUSE NIGHT.

When in reality, all that changes with darker nights is that IRNV and Thermal sights become mandatory and negate the idea of darker nights completely. All these "awesome scenarios" are irrelevant when IRNV can spot your butt sneaking around.
  4. Silver Fox

True for the most part, but going white-light has its advantages when clearing buildings. Turning a light on outside is definitely a bad idea. Even red-lenses are for emergency use only, or when under some sort of cover.
  5. Phyr

Scopes don't give you eyes in the back of your head. I can run around knifing people in broad daylight, it could only get easier at night.
    • Up x 1
  6. BRG7780

Ultimately, this is a gigantic amount of work for the development team for very intangible benefits.

Players are asking for all these Cool Ideas without stopping to think the amount of work involved in making this dumb crap hit Live. Would you rather have "darker nights", or Hossin? Instead of darker nights that doesn't add anything to the gameplay (but DOES look prettier), how about they start working on Searhus?

I shudder at the amount of work it'd take to even get something simple in the game, like adding logically-placed lights to every single base in the game. And then you have the effort of making flashlights worth a crap, and rebalancing IRNV scopes, and potentially adding generators that control the lighting systems of a base, etc, etc...
    • Up x 1
  7. BRG7780

You can do that now in the current night levels. What's your point?
  8. whitupiggu

You don't typically ADS with a NV scope until you've already spotted someone you want to kill.
    • Up x 2
  9. DavidButler4

Keep the Darker Nights!!!!!
    • Up x 2
  10. Boomotang

Do you always run around scoped in? It limits your peripheral vision quite a bit. It's not very easy to get anywhere very fast that way either.
  11. MaxDamage

I think the nights are dark enough as it is, and I believe the darker night fetishists are a very small but very loud minority.
    Do not want.

It reminds me of the bloom in Elder Scrolls Oblivion, why would anyone want graphical effects that simulate bad eyesight?
    • Up x 1
  12. BITES

Bring back the Beta Night ... up the "teal" on Vanu to balance out the sneaky buggers.
    • Up x 2
  13. SquattingPig

I'm going to be doing everything I can bypass dark nights. If I can't, I'll just play another game or log off as soon as it's nighttime.

1) VS and people in black camo are already hard to see at night and very frustrating to fight against.
    2) I can't get IRNV to look right anymore even after trying a bunch of different settings. Even if it were working, IRNV looks quite different depending on the graphics settings.
    • Up x 1
  14. Deteno

I am all for darker nights if for no other reason than because those headlights and flashlights will finally be more than a silly gimmick. Can't you imagine making assaults under the cover of darkness, dodging spotlights and watching the tracers ignite the sky?
    • Up x 1
  15. GeneralPeragorn

I too support this! Varied nights would be great too though.
  16. vashshadow

whats so wrong with darker nights i mean really learn to play the night use it. i mean if you cant learn how to fight at night your more or less useless any ways
  17. MorganM

Darker nights SUCK! Haven't you guys played DayZ ? It's stupid, annoying, and frustrating. The tools given for dealing with it are crap in both DayZ and PS2.

In PS2 night vision optics are trash; they make things DARKER AT NIGHT.

Thermal is king all around and will be required.

IRNV is the only acceptable tool on small arms and isn't available on every gun anyway.

Flashlights are trash; just try to use them near any vertical surface (like a wall or storage container). It does NOT function like a real flashlight; go test it out and you'll see just how stupid and worthless it really is. They also completely give away your position.

Headlights on vehicles are the same; worthless. Plus they give away your position as well.

There's no lights or lighting systems in game for facilities and bases.

The only way darker nights will be even remotely fun is if they fix the current tools that totally suck and implement more (like outside facility lights and spot / search lights) You've seen how freak'n long it takes them to go over a continent and revamp it. You REALLY want them to do that AGAIN? I don't... because I don't even want the darker nights and knowing them they will implement darker nights and THEN go and fix these issues. All the while we are stuck in pitch black with trash tools.
    • Up x 1
  18. MasonSTL

flashlight will be best and more widely use with shotguns and SMGs. Where the gun works best while hipfired while moving faster that ADS. Im guessing you hadn't been on the test and noticed that at the moment the only thing you see from a flashlight is the light on the ground. If a guy is standing in front of you with his light on you he really doesn't seem any different than someone with out it. there are did advantages to flashlights in the dark but the same amount of advantages.
  19. Sovereign533

I really like the fact that nights would become darker. I really like the change in gameplay pace. And a subtle shift in tactics needed to adjust to he nights. I'd also like the flash light to become a viable option.
    But I think the infrared or thermal vision scopes should be changed. As it is now in some area's, everything glows. And this shouldn't be the case. (Esamir snow makes your thermal scope broken).

If they fix the thermal scope, I can't wait for dark nights.
    • Up x 2
  20. FocusLight

I'm glad you are here! YOU just volunteered to runwalk around with your IRVN sights up at all times and see who and what is out there. For the rest of us, yes IRVN will be an option - for everything that don't need more than 1x sighting.

By the way, just because I did not mention the IRVN and what you could do with it don't mean you have a right to try and ridicule me in this manner. If you don't want to be considered a juvenile tool who go "OMG HOW COULD HE FORGET THIS, WHAT A LOSER" to every minor detail, consider offering your posts in a more respectable tone.