Crash right after every launch attempt

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Qoph, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Zamanoy

Missing out on sales bump
  2. Hycisa Kestrel

I bought SC right before this all happened and now i cant even get into the game to use it... Im about to ask for a damn refund and not play this game. Seriously the admins need to respond to this thread before a lot of people get pissed off and stop playing because they cant respond to their customers in a timely manner.
  3. crosstown

I have SEP and the problem started right after the 12/19 update. I change many firewall settings to allow it to run and tried different video drivers and disabling the USB drivers. After reading this i checked the event viewer and had similar "Tamper Protection Scan" events right before the crash. I uninstalled SEP and the game is running now.

Uninstalling SEP worked for me.
  4. AWearyExile

And it changed nothing when I uninstalled it.
  5. Shin01176

Worked for me after doing a uninstall of SEP.
  6. gamezdean

i patched when i got home from work and it crashed and and now when i try to click play in the launcher the "play" button says "playing" when im clearly not and the app isnt even on the task man ???? ne one got any idea? was only after the most recent patch and i got a bran nu comp so that aint the prob ? and i dint get an error code as such just had a popup that said an error had occurred try again?
  7. smellyfish

same with me, last night play more than 7 hours, but now keep crashing :(
  8. AWearyExile

Looks like they fixed it guys. There was a patch just now and I can launch the game again. A little bit of communication with the playerbase would have been nice, but I suppose they did their job.
  9. Piepants

I can confirm that after the patch I downloaded this morning the problem is now fixed. Thank you SOE!
  10. FoodForTheGods

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=EMET

EMET is a free security tool from Microsoft which enables all Windows security features (mainly DEP and ASLR) plus some additional security features from EMET itself (like EAF) for applications (each application can be configured separatly). EAF is one of these security features (=Export Address Filtering, no point of explaining it here in detail since the explanation would kinda lengthy). Seems like Symantec Endpoint Protection enables these security features aswell and employs something identical to EAF, thus you get identical issues. Good thing EMET allows fine grained configuration, so you do not have to deinstall it if one application is not compatible with it.
  11. have2laugh

Annoyingly the TSRs have posted on multiple threads in the last 30 minutes, they've just seen fit to ignore this one and the other (at least 3) threads which are about the same issue.

It appears that SOE are mostly adopting the Ostrich approach to customer service, coupled with a sprinkling of the magicians circle approach - Ignore them all until they go away and point to the first thing that looks like it could be the fault of the customer in the hope that you can misdirect them long enough to make a clean escape (for this fault blame graphics cards being below min spec even though they've been working fine for weeks or outdated drivers in the hope that you can get it fixed before anyone realises that you deployed yet another broken patch)
  12. Inf!

Thanks for the fix SOE, but some official word would've been nice.
  13. Veratu SOE

No problem, we didn't do anything! :) We've noticed a couple of firewall/anti-virus related issues have cropped up this week, but those are outside of our control, and some of those vendors have pushed updates to fix (and in some cases break) stuff. :)
  14. have2laugh

sadly mine still isn't fixed. Strangely, I haven't had any updates to my firewall. The only thing that's changed is the PS2 patch. Every other game I own works perfectly fine, they all worked fine last week, yesterday and are still working fine today. PS2 worked fine last week too, and the week before that AND....the week before that. Yet today I boot up, run an update and now can't run the game for more than 10 minutes before it dies.

I've added the exceptions to the firewall, I've authenticated the assets, reinstalled, updated my drivers and removed the user.ini file - nothing works. Which is exactly what happened after moving from beta to launch. I had the same run-around the houses then too, being told that it was clearly my system in someway and to try the above. Then another patch a week or so later and the problem miraculously vanished.

I realise that working with PCs is difficult - a million combinations with a million different settings, but Im really and truly tired of known issues being blamed on our PCs or software. When a problem generates 3 or 4 threads of 10+ pages at a time, its not acceptable to shrug your shoulders and point to us.
  15. agpen

Still not working for me either. I loved PS2 through beta, and now it's like every day Smedley is coming to my house and ****ing directly into my mouth. I played EQ for 5 years and Vanguard for 2, so it's a familiar sensation, but not a welcome one.
  16. Veratu SOE

Please understand that if 100 people are using X anti-virus and that anti-virus company pushes down a signature update that breaks PS2, then 100 people are going to post on the forums. It's still not something we control.

While I understand your frustration, (it's just as frustrating for us to have to troubleshoot these varied problems that we have zero control over), the best we can do is educate users on how these applications make adjustments so that they can set the proper settings in the applications to keep the game running.

That's not us shrugging our shoulders, it's just dealing with the reality of the situation. I've got a problem I'm dealing with right now on Avast, only Avast users are having the problem, and there's zero I can do about it (outside of what you yourself can do) and that's go tell Avast to fix their update or educate a user on how to whitelist or exclude our executable to play the game.

I'm not sure what more you expect, but contrary to popular belief, some things are literally out of our control, so we do our best to educate and help where we can, the best we can.
  17. MeerMusik

Sorry Veratu but about what Avast Problem are you talking? Seems iam one of the lucky guys without that "what-ever-you-mean" thing.
  18. have2laugh

I understand that Veratu, I really do.

But the 14 (!?!) page thread about in-game lockup and crash/BSOD is not an AV issue its been on again and off again for weeks on end and that thread is just one of around 20 that I alone have seen on this issue so I can only assume that there's a similar number of tickets going in about it.

Veratu said:
    “The steam files and ours are the same, it won't make a difference. Steam feeds their data sets off of SOEs data sets.

As for this issue, we're aware of it, it's a memory usage issue. It's very high up on the list to fix, there are a couple of community work arounds if you check the forums for adjusting your Large Address space for the application. Although this works in most cases, it's not officially supported, so your milage may vary.

We're working a lot of issues right now both server side and client side and will continue to update both to get to a more stable environment. Thanks for your patience guys, we know you just want to play and these little hiccups can be annoying.”

Yet people are still getting the same, recycled fix suggestions which are difficult, time consuming and (apparently) ineffective. Multiple people are even being told out of hand "your graphics card isn't supported, that's why you're having issues" when that is clearly not the case, people with all kinds of specs are getting the same symptoms, with the same crash logs, the particular graphics card involved appears to have very little to do with the issue.

This is a game-breaking bug, it literally takes some of us longer to get into the game than we can spend playing it before getting kicked out again.

I appreciate that the "crash as soon as I hit play" bug is not the same as the "consistently crash 3 - 20 minutes into playing the game" bug which I reference above. But surely you can see how the inconsistent information (and in many cases flat out refusal to acknowledge that there even is an issue) is beginning to make some people feel like we're not always being told the complete truth.

I know that this particular post (and in fairness, most of the posts that I've made today) contains quite negative feedback, but I'm equally aware that the SOE team have done some amazing work with PS2 and, believe it or not, I'm actually a huge advocate of the game (if not the FTP system, but that's an entirely different discussion) and I actively encourage my friends to give it a try.

keep up the good work, we know it's tough sometimes. Mostly, we just want to know that we've been heard and that we'll get our problem fixed in the near future. After all, if we've taken the time to post here and wait for a response, we obviously care about playing - otherwise we'd just uninstall it at play something else ;)
  19. JAMUSAURUS

I am having this same issue. I've re-installed Windows 7 (64 bit) about five times now in the past 2 weeks. I've noticed the game runs flawlessly on a fresh install with NO updates. With Windows updates prior to Service Pack 1 (SP1) - it will play but depending on the traffic in game, it is inconsistent to when it will decide to crash randomly. I have a feeling the game doesn't like the .Net framework updates. However, with both times trying to launch PS2 after installing SP1, it will not launch after you click 'Play' - giving the black screen with blue cursor, then 3 seconds later crashing back to desktop.

I'm going to uninstall SP1 with hopes to get back online for now.

System specs: I have no anti-virus. Running 3770k, z77, 670 SLI.
  20. MightyMikail

I'm getting a crash during the Launcher while downloading the patch and ALSO a crash of the launcher for DC Universe Online. For DC Universe it finishes the initial "Checking Files" step, then immediately closes. I too, have experienced this problem in the past but it wasn't after beta, it was shortly after launch of the full version.

Oh yes, and I have Panda Antivirus, I added the exceptions and switched my anti-virus to "Game Mode Enabled". Tried launching while the anti-virus and firewall were shut down, updated Java, and still no change.