Balance Pass Post 1: Vehicle Weapons and the Harasser

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by joshua, Oct 30, 2013.

1. lunate

Lol cause i dont know whether you want the developers to buff it or to nerf it. But isn't the reload speed certs spend and reload time around the same time as a normal mbt? Cause both are by percentage.
  2. teks

No, there were. Not that long ago either. Thats what I was talking about. They changed it so that all mbts have a static .1 sec reduction per reload upgrade. Thats a significant buff to prowlers, and nerf to vannys (who had about .5second already)

The lightning, however, was completely ignored by the devs...again. the lightning only gets .3 seconds total vs an MBTs .5. Thats pretty much Bull. I can't think of a reason why anyone would disagree.
  3. Phos!

Yes SOE please give lightnings anchored mode, I promise I won't chew them up even moreso than I already do.
    I didn't. I said you get .5 seconds to reaim. I know the stats of my own tank.

No, the Palisade is perfect Mag territory. Enough buildings for cover but enough room to manuver.

Vanguards are the best at "peek and shoot" combat, it doesn't matter how often your gun reloads, his reloads every 4 seconds and that's when you're going to see him. Burst damage is its own reward, otherwise there'd be no reason to use the AP connon over the skyguard. Whatever extra damage reduction the skyguads has to face, I can't imagine it making up for the skyguard doing just over 3 times the DPS of the AP cannon. OK, well, the skyguad does have nasty cone of fire for ground targets.
    And a lightning isn't supposed to be able to take an MBT head on so I don't think it's entirely appropriate to compare them like that. Your giant list also provides a lot of reasons as to why the lightning is good enough as it is, except for a few things:
    To do what a lightning can do, an MBT doesn't need a gunner. Having the second seat is only a benefit, because it gives that tank another source of damage without crowding your side of no man's land when you come to a chokepoint.
    The Viper's rate of fire actually makes its recoil easier to control because the next shot comes while the cannon is still in its upward motion, you just need to drag down at the correct rate.
  4. teks

I'm sorry to double quote you, but I just don't know how else to take what your saying here.

Furthermore, I went in the VR room, and practiced sniping tanks with a prowler. I had no problems shooting the second shot without any pause at all, and from considerable range. Its hardly a problem worth noting.
    I do not understand this territory thing your talking about in the first place, since territory is defined by who owns it, and also any tank in the game can turn their turret 90 degrees and use building for cover better then a magrider.
    see, if vanguards are best at peek-a-boo, then why are the palisades magrider territory?
    the lightning is not fine as it is. It has been ignored in regards to several balance passes, and I'm getting fed up by it. The lightning is still a good tank, and I prefer it, but its high time SOE stops ignoring the lightning.
    Are you honestly trying to say its fair that a lightning gets only .3 seconds for its full reload cert line, while all the MBTs got theirs buffed to .5 recently?
    It doesn't matter what you think of a lightning, thats bull.

They are nerfing deploy significantly, while I am against this, its a good indicator that your underestimating the ability. I hope they take it back, but clearly something is going right for this ability. I recommend you go to the vehicle forum, and read some of those threads. They give good evidence of the power of deploy.
  5. Phos!

These examples cover two different types of tank combat that both use cover, but to different ends. The Vanguard example is from behind an obstacle in a field, roll forward, fire, roll backwards. This is when there's a lot of sources of damage that for whatever reason can't close the distance (For example, there'a a vanguard that keeps shooting at them).

"Mag Rider territory" is my name for areas where magriders can take advantage of not needing to muck about with hull traversal to maneuver. You shift between pieces of cover and only have line of sight when your cannon is loaded. The key difference is that it doesn't matter to the magrider if the opponents round that piece of cover because it can move to the next one.
  6. lunate

Let's add artillery cannon like world of tanks while adding the deploy mode.
  7. Chrisragnar

Wow so basiclly everyone who put any certs into harrassers can go F themselfs. Its already half impossible to take out NC tanks b/c there secondaty is SICKLY OP against harrassers. Making them weaker and forcing them even closer.. really?
    Harrassers already struggle at range b/c damn NC tanks just stroll away with there millions of hitpoints, as soon as you hurt them, unless you get close enough for them not too hide, and even then there enforcer is just going too melt you..

Anyone driving alot of harrasser knows that you cant go anyware w/o exactlly everyone. Infantry, snipers, MAX's, Tanks and tower guns constantly shooting you.
  8. Levexaeus

I'm so glad that they are spending all of their time and efforts into nerfing things rather than releasing features that were supposed to be released 4 months ago. Thanks SONY! Could you just tell me how many more month's i'll have to wait to actually get a shred of new content? It seems like you guys are making this a game that people only play for a month or 2 and then stop playing it. We use to get updates every 2 weeks, now once every 4 months? Want to do some balance testing? actualy look into the TTK on all factions guns.. ohh and what about the most OVER POWERED rocket launcher? lol dont even need to name it, you already know it! lul this game is beginning to be a big joke
  9. TimberWoff

http://1.bp.************/-vpE6uMJ37dk/UOScrne47aI/AAAAAAAAEL4/Ki-4IWO-SoY/s1600/ron-paul.gif
  10. blueangleofdeath

Please keep the radar in the utility slot. It's more of a utility then a defensive measure. Maybe instead of moving it to another slot maybe improve on the usage of it some how?
    • Up x 2
  11. teks

Right, or come up with a more creative solution (hint hint, more slots)
    • Up x 2
  12. Unclematos7

NO. REMOVE IT. It has been a broken feature since day one.

I know you don't want to kill your baby and all, but this baby is a demon spawn that needs to be put down ASAP.

If they want to be repaired on the move, then they should get NAR/FS/both, just like everybody else.
  13. Chrisragnar

Lol dude, do you not see them tearing into the harrasser already, forcing them closer too tanks, while buffing tanks dmg and nerfing harrasser defence. Ill trade the active rep if they skip the rest of the ******** harrasser nerfs, and tank buffs. Im already getting instagibbed by tanks 70% of the time when they are using enforcer.
    • Up x 1
  14. munglay

The Vulcan-H needs a serious nerf. Making Harassers more fragile won't mean a thing when TR can 2-clip an MBT while driving circles around it. Pulling vehicles against TR is pointless thanks to that overpowered train wreck. Knowing SOE, it will probably get buffed instead.
  15. Jezem

Please do not do this! I and many pilots that I fly with use proximity radar offensively, and its movement to the defense tree would destroy our ability to use nano repair at the same time. Unless this proximity radar change is only for the harasser or ground vehicles, but I find that unlikely. Please reconsider this change. The defensive options would just become more muddled, adding a primarily offensive tool to the defensive tree, thus crowding the defensive tree while making the utility tree sparse.

In an esf I have no need to defend against anyone with approaching C4... and even when I'm driving my harasser, it's meant to be an offensive tool in order to hunt down infantry on the outskirts of a battle more effectively. Your assumption that it is intended to be a defensive item is flawed, for the intent of that utility is subjective to the player who is using it. Again, please do NOT make this change.
    • Up x 2
  16. teks

1/2 MBTs are being disouraged so if they are disadvantaged, great.

Lightnigns however have been unable to cope with the harasser in any way. Even groups of lightnings. This is because the secondary buffs were an indirect nerf to the lightning. Had they paid attention to vehicles without secondaries, and given them some positive tweaks alongside the secondary buffs then the harasser wouldn't have needed its armor and weapons nerfed.

It seems obvious to me that if the lightning had a weapon option to fight harassers, or at least a slight damage and velocity buff to make up for their indirect nerf, then harassers could be allowed to be stronger without all these nerfs.
    • Up x 3
  17. PorkSocks

If you want to encourage more use of Proximity Radar, making it directly compete with Armor upgrades, Vehicle Stealth and Nanite Repair is not a good idea.

The idea seems to be to encourage MBT users to cert Promity Radar without giving up their ES ability, allowing them to combat C4. However, many Lightning users are really screwed by this change because Radar ended up being their special advantage. With this change, Lightnings end up with very limited Utility options and glutted Defensive options.

How about this instead:

ONE
    -Keep Proximity Radar as a Utility slot choice
    -Move the MBT abilities to their own slot
    -Give Lightnings (and maybe other vehicles) a 2nd Defensive slot.

OR

TWO
    -Move Proximity Radar to the Defensive Slot as planned, but also
    -Give Lightnings a 2nd defensive slot.

OR

THREE
    -Leave everything where it is, but enhance Radar to make it a more viable option to MBT ES abilities.

One or Two would allow Lightnings to maintain combos they have grown accustomed to, such as Radar + Stealth or Radar + Repair, and still allows MBTs to take their ES ability + Radar, which appears to be the reason for this change. Three would maintain the status quo but encourage more MBT use of Radar.
    • Up x 2
  18. Nintyuk

Or Give Lightnings Scout Radar as a utility item while having Proximity radar as Defensive.
    • Up x 3
  19. PorkSocks

Ooh, nice one!
  20. Botji

On one hand I wish for a huge Magrider make over and on the other hand I wish for some long missing Lightning buffs, things that MBTs got but for some reason the devs didnt feel the Lightning deserved like the velocity buff and reload cert buff.

My problem is that if I got the Magrider make over and it turned out "not terrible" I might not use the Lightning that much anymore wich would make me both happy to have a MBT again and sad to see the Lightning fade away but if the Lightning got updated like the MBTs it would just cement the fact that the Magrider is not the tank you are looking for... like some sort of jedi mind trick.
    • Up x 1