AV Turret overpowered

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by technopredator, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Armchair

Nothing's OP about it. Every complaint about it boils down to "MY vehicle was blown up!!!! This anti-vehicle turret destroyed MY vehicle. That can't be intended behavior. NERF NERF NERF."
  2. Mareckk

You simply can't deny that there are some serious problems with the turret. Being able to hit targets that can't see you, the rocket or even the explosion is completely broken.
  3. Rogueghost

I get killed by the AV turret more often as infantry then when I'm in a vehicle.
  4. LeBigJimbo

Unlimited ammo, fly-by-wire, nonvisible projectile, instant respawn of turret, massive damage.

Yup, that looks pretty OP from all angles.
  5. Evil Monkey

I find it ironic there was so much outcry about AT mines, which have been nerfed repeatedly....

but imagine a AT Mine which does half damage but

-is unlimited use
    -can be steered onto targets at render range - i.e. about 800x greater range

If you renamed the turret "flying guided AT mine" it would be nerfed almost instantly....
  6. Choppy89

Only two thing need to be done. Make the shots visible and shorten the guidance range. Everything else you will
    Need to real with it, and stop crying that it is op. if it gets nerfed I am loading my load outs with sticks and stones. I will get skilled with these then you will also cry that they too are op
  7. Seritjago

Explain one thing to me: Why are the devs trying to get a longer and longer rendering range to veincles and stuff, but we limit every weapon we have to a ridiculously short range? We could simply save a huge amount of processing power and can have a way cooler grafics card.

But the game has the nice rendering distance which gives the game a nice appereance and a cool overall experience. The AV turret is a very effective long range weapon agains veincles, but it needs a terrible long time to hit a veincle 2 times. In that time he can be already well behind cover. I wouldnt blame the AV turret for its range, I would blame the driver for not leaving the area.
  8. ChaosReaperr

It is extremely easy for a decently skilled player to take out an engie on an anti-vehicle turret. Tanks that can hit a stationary target of that size it's usually a one hit kill... snipers are the easiest to do it. Any long range weapon-bearing infantry that can aim at all can do it.

Honestly AV turrets are most useful against either bad players or bad groups of players who aren't willing to play a role that can easily take them out.
  9. commandoFi

I almost never get killed by AV turrets, but their damage is a little high. If render problems are also fixed there should be fewer problems.
  10. HeadshotVictim

AV-Turret is needed because of people tank zerging so much.
    Less tank zerg -> less AV Turret
    What to do against a Tank zerg?
    a) tank zerg
    b) AV turret spam
    Since AV Turrets can be placed for free, while tanks cost resources it seem to be the only viable options against huge amounts of tanks.
    HA just lack the range and accuracy to do this.
    If people would just use tanks as a battle changer and not like a primary form of batlle there would be no need for an AV Turret.

Perhaps the range you can contrl the rocket is too long.
    I think the turret would still be good, when the roket flies straight after 300m or something.

TL,DR:
    AV Turrets are fine. Stop complaining.
    (No, I don't primarily lay Engineer, but I got the turret because I amsick and tired of tank zerg....)
  11. Armchair

This is why you see so many complaints about it. The funniest part is that tanks are one of the best things for destroying AV turrets.
  12. ironeddie

I've played engi a lot & used the AV turret lots & the above is just wrong. The AV turret makes you vulnerable since you can't move, I find you get a shot off & the tank your shooting at uses that shot to find you & kill you. At least with an HA's rocket launcher to can shoot, hide or move, pop back up & shoot again.

The fact the turrets projectile is guided is handy but at extreme range it can be tricky to keep your cross hairs on target, especially a moving one. The field of fire is limited on the turret so a tank can easily move out of the turrets field of fire. Forcing the engi to move & redeploy the turret which takes time & is another example where the rocket launcher wins.

Really the AV turret is great in a very specific situation that involves a lot of luck, no enemy infantry & a dumb tank driver.
  13. Sam the sheepdog

The AV turret is a double edged sword. It's very strong, and completely dominates armor in groups. Snipers on the other hand. *plink* free kill *plink* free kill *plink* free kill. I rarely get to use my AV turret for any amount of time when fighting an outfit.
  14. Slaidd

This is it exactly. The fact of the matter is that very little can be done to try to counter a tank zerg. And that goes down to virtually nothing if you happen to be trying to defend a base that doesn't have the capability to spawn heavy armor. The AV turret is one of the only ways to attempt to defend against it. And even then, the turret and engineer can be killed very easily.

If the turret is nerfed to oblivion, every single base that has no way to spawn heavy armor, you may as well just redeploy and get out of there, because defending against a tank zerg will be impossible.
  15. Calisai

The insane range and non-rendering missiles are the only thing wrong with it. I'm not talking about 0m-250m here... i'm talking anywhere from 250-500m where the missile just disappears and vehicles take phantom damage (Ie, you can't tell where its coming from... so it's impossible to find cover, let alone return fire)

Oh, and BTW... I have one, I use one, and I feel cheap when I'm hitting things from ranges that they have no chance of spotting me, let alone killing me. I have no pity for those that let me take them out from closer range though.

I think a comparable range to the pheonix would be enough...
  16. xpsyclosarinx

As much as I agree with the whole phantom missile thing and the fact that I do feel cheap whenever I use it (which is a lot) I really don't want it to go because it's the closest damn thing I have to artillery which I've been wanting in this game since beta.
  17. Xasapis

Is it just me or the AV turret aiming is based on an invisible grid? When I try to aim far, the pointer jumps from point to point and it makes it really hard to actually navigate the missile in a slowly moving target.
  18. RealityWarrior

See I don't think it is invisible or a rendering issue. It is more likely good tactics on the part of the Engi. I PURPOSEFULLY go out of my way to drop shots in from above or curve them so they are not impacting pointing from me. I find I do better in spots where I blend with my back ground instead of stand out.

But no matter what I do eventually they see me. Eventually I take a tank shell or a sniper round to the face. Once an AV turrent is "Q" spotted you are dead.

I understand not liking being killed by something you never saw. Shotguns, Snipers, Tanks, AV Turrets, Base Turrets, All kinds of stuff gets me the same way. It is part of the game. Stealth and flanking are good tactical decisions. Don't hate because someone used them against you.
  19. RealityWarrior

Mouse sensitivity is very high as it is consider a vehicle. Reduce your vehicle mouse sensitivity and that gets better.
  20. Calisai

Being killed by something I didn't see happens all the time... I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with being killed by things I can't even have the chance to see. I've gotten hit by an AV turret before, we've jumped out before, kept repairing, all the time trying to see the missiles coming in. Not one was spotted.... not because of great placement, or great shots... but because the missile didn't render.

I see phoenix fire coming in, Dodge some, find cover from some, get killed by some. I see striker fire coming in, Dodge most, find cover from a lot, get killed by some. All the new Max AV, I can see and dodge or at least say... Damn, I could have dodged that... It's the same with most AV turret usage.... However, it's the extreme long range shots that seemingly do damage with no visible missile coming in that I have a problem with. I don't know what the distance is that causes it, but the AV turret should be limited to just under that limit (or have them actually fix the render issue... which I doubt they will be able to)

It's a similar issue to the old Max AA vs ESF issues. I think that if the turret is far enough away, the missile just doesn't render for the target. That is a bug, not good tactics.

Just to be clear, I would be perfectly happy to have the AV turret work exactly like it does now... but with VISIBLE missiles like the pheonix or striker. I have no problem with the functionality of it.. as long as it's not invisible... However, If SOE can't fix the render issue... then I think it needs to be limited to that range that the missiles are visible.
    • Up x 1