AV Turret overpowered

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by technopredator, Apr 28, 2013.

1. technopredator

hit heavier than any rocket launcher and it really fast, well I think the engineer should act like a freaking tank, IMO it should fire a round half the power of a decimator and take as much time to reload and have the speed of it too, not to mention the round from the AV turret can be manually guided inflight and this shouldn't happen, it should be a rocket launcher.

This features unbalance infantry in favor of the engineer, making it even heavier hitter than a Heavy Assault class and is more effective and destructive than a tank, this is just wrong.
    • Up x 10
  2. PaperPlanes

The AV turret is fine how it is in terms of the projectile's overall stats (speed, damage, controllability, etc.), the problem is the fact an engineer just deploys it and can sit there with unlimited ammo for it.

Two solutions to this:

1. Just make it so you only get 1 AV turret and you have to die to get a new one (no simple resupplying), so the engineer has to choose very wisely when to use the turret, you can't simply set it down anywhere you want with the knowledge you can just move it freely

2. AV turret has an ammo counter now and it can NOT be resupplied via ammo pack or equipment terminals, it's a fixed amount of ammo that only refreshes upon respawn

Sorry, SOE, but you made a cheap and broken weapon with the AV turret and these are the only logical solutions to fixing it without nerfing the projectiles themselves into uselessness. If it's going to be as powerful as it currently is, it needs limitations.
  3. LibertyRevolution

As long as HA can refill rockets from ammo packs, don't even think about limiting AV turret ammo...
    All factions can have them.. if you think its OP, use one... It is not OP as everyone makes it out to be...
    Must be some reason there are 50 HA with phoenix, but only a few lonely engineers on that hill with AV turrets..
    It is only good if you can get behind an armor column and they don't care enough to shoot a few tank rounds in your direction..
    • Up x 8
  4. VanuSovereignty

How about, instead of needless nerfs, tanks get 3 seats and require a driver and gunner and get a massive health and armor boost?
  5. FnkyTwn

Just wait until GU08 comes out.

You'll have a lot more things to cry about than the AV Turret,
    so save up your whining and grumbling for the things that will
    really need a nerf, and not an item that every empire gets and
    that Higby has already said will be getting a fix to it's rendering
    issues in the next update.
  6. technopredator

Sorry but I disagree completely, AV turrets are 2X overpowered, as I explained and if they're gonna keep them unnerfed then make it the reload time 10+ seconds, is just wrong that it can take up to 40-45% off a tank health with 1 shot with easy adjusts inflight, practically is a tank killer, better than another tank and the engineer can hide an run and go to another position, spawn the AVT and shot again and so on, is way more effective than a Heavy Assault and more powerful too, this is NOT fair and it should be balanced, you people just choose to ignore it an suggest I don't say nothing about it, just because it suits you, that's not AT ALL a justifiable point, all classes must have balance so the game have it too.
    • Up x 1
  7. JesNC

Screwing up the balance between MBTs and HAs/other vehicles. Good call - not.

AV MANA turrets could do with some form of range limitation, otherwise they're fine IMO.
    • Up x 2
  8. Deathcapt

I would have much rather that the Engineer turret be a camera guided, but range limited missile.
  9. Dragonblood

They fixed the turret's hitbox.......thx guys, now you are just free xp for anyone with a sniperrifle.
  10. stalkish

Maybe make it so the turret doesnt reload (cooldown?) without someone manning it, its a simple change that would mean its alot more risky using the turret.
    • Up x 1
  11. Fumblewatt

The only good thing that the AV turrets does, is sniping vehicles at range, i spend 95% of my time trying to find even ground to deploy the turret, that also provide a bit of cover, so i dont get 1 shotted by the tank shell, AV turrets does not pose a threat if we compare it to HA's endless rocket spam, my Saron gunner love engies on AV turrets, their free kills for him.
    • Up x 2
  12. SirIBON

And that with a Tripod.
    Me uses the AV Turrent, of course :) and i have the same problem.
    There is an Angle (left/right) - for what? it has a Tripod, i should walk around.

Standing on a Hill mostly i cant put out my AV Turrent. Even on the light snow bevel on Esamir i cant use it. But if i (we) can, than we will defend a base against a superiority, as Yesterday [Miller, Indar]
    There were two Engineers on the Top, one Medic for the Snipers and the kamikaze Pilots and some, five HA.
    Me kills also the Snipers with my Eidolon. I had a Medic :)
    It was the first time, that we do this against Tanks. it was very funny for us to be the one on the Hill. Mostly we on the other Side in the valley.
    Only twice tried the Enemy to come on the Hill with Infantry.
    I think there was the Problem. Coordination of the own Fraction.

The Turrent is a good Item, it is mighty, but has disadvantages. From my Point of View it is well-adjusted.
    "balanced"- why should everything be balanced?

Even if it does only halve the dmg, i will use it. My Eidon and my Handgun do nearly no dmg to Tanks.
  13. MFP_TK_01

It is a rocket launcher....
    • Up x 1
  14. Scientiarum

No, no it is not overpowered. It isn't underpowered either, it is just perfect. They nerfed tank mines, let the engies have something. Believe me, you clearly don't have an AV turret so you have the 'killed by a weapon I haven't unlocked yet, must be OP' syndrome. Seriously, setting up either MANA turret is like an invitation to get pwned by everything within 1000m. Just let it be. The Heavies are much more mobile and lately I only play as engie if I am driving, piloting, or repping gens. Nobody plays engineer for infantry combat anymore unless the are paired with a MAX. VS and NC AP mines are also about to get a 'nerf' of sorts. Engies are constantly becoming less and less viable.
  15. Calisai

I think a range limitation maybe a little longer than the pheonix, but not by much. Right now they are being used more as artillery than a turret. If they fixed the obscene range issue it would be fine.

However, actual power of them is negated by the dismount and mount mechanic. They are sitting ducks while on the turret (have killed many more of them than they have killed me...) However, the unlimited (at least it seems like it) range of the things makes them annoying to fight. I don't mind taking damage as long as I can see who and where from. I've been hit by turrets that are barely a spec on the screen... and can't even see the projectiles coming in due to render issues.

I don't mind dying to the engy that works around and gets a good position and rips off a few rounds... but the ones that are up on bluffs so far away that I can't even snipe them with a fully zoomed Saron while they are hitting shot after shot? A little much.
    • Up x 1
  16. SirIBON

Ahh, me plays the Engineer. Even, or mostly in infantry combat.

If there is no Engineer, would you take a MAX? No, you want that it will stay a long time.
    HA without Rockets? All Classes without Ammo?
    Mobile spawnpoints (Sunderer) without Support?
    The Engineer is a kind of Infrastructure, as the Medic also. Without these two, a Skimish will end very fast for the side, that does not have the necessary Infrastructure.

Start to think like a Supporter and you will get a very good overview of the Battlefield.
    Finish the Enemy, that you friends not see. You will see them, because you will look around to make the decision who you will support next.

There are a lot Engineers on the map, but they are not on the native Battlefield. Most of them drive/fly something and do not even have a certed Tool.

As a Supporter you will never stay in the bright Light of the Heroes, you are the Sidekick that makes the victory possible.
  17. technopredator

You all defend AVT because it gives you easy kills, and you victimize yourselves to justify and keep enjoying mobile power greater than the most powerful of all heavy tanks, the TR Prowler, you don't care at all how unbalanced it is. Nothing hits as hard, an HA needs 4-5 rockets, all that it can carry normally to kill 1 tank and the AVT has endless ammo, HA don't, I see someone writing it does, that's just a lie, you normally have to go fight infantry when as a HA when you've depleted your rockets, rarely you get a sundy near by or a engineer to reload.

I have been killed by the AVT of course and I don't have it unlocked because I won't be spending money on this game and because I don't play the Eng, only seldom time to repair stuff, so I don't have the "syndrome", because I won't unlock it, so I'm not complaining because I don't have it yet, I complain because it takes 45% off a heavy tank with 1 hit.
  18. Regh

"No! they'r just fine as they are!.... I love how engis love their turrets!"
    -By some sniper
    • Up x 3
  19. Scientiarum

I did say with the caveat of supporting a MAX. Engineer is still my most played class (BECAUSE I PILOT MOST OF THE TIME) and used to be my primary for any situation, but there is no reason not to play as a HA for combat situations, just switch to engineer to drop the now nearly useless tank mines. Sorry, but no matter how good you are with an engineer in combat you are just going to do it that much better with an HA. There are enough terminals around for resupply that generally when the outfit drops into a base we just have a designated infiltrator hack terminals so people can resupply, and in many situations that alleviates the ammunition problem.

Don't lecture me on how to play engineer. It doesn't matter, one engineer can support a whole squad, otherwise there is no reason to play as a full time engineer anymore besides vehicle piloting, they just are not an effective infantry combat class like they used to be and playing a purely support role might be easy certs when you are a noob but once you get some decent HA equipment you will simply make more certs faster playing as HA than you will playing a purely support role as engineer. The statistics back this statement up so you can't deny it. Look at the player statistics.

My point is to play as infantry other than supporting a MAX not bother playing engineer. They
  20. JesNC

Exactly my sentiments.