ACX-11 needs 5 more rounds in the mag and greater projectile velocity

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Aegie, Oct 1, 2013.

1. DashRendar

That's not exactly correct. Velocity has very little effect under 15m, evidenced by the fact that many players use SMGs with softpoint ammo and silencers (very low final velocity) and don't feel like it affects them very negatively because SMGs are close range specializing weapons. They're not supposed to be good at midrange and beyond.

With the AC-X11, the gun platform is supposed to be weak at close range, yet mature downrange at medium ranges and beyond into long range. The issue is that the AC-X11 has a close range Carbine velocity at best, so at the ranges you are supposed to be using it, you have to lead so much that you will often miss. This shares the same issue as pump action shotguns with slug ammo. You sacrifice close range power to gain range, yet due to the gun performance, you always want to close the gap to be more effective at landing shots, yet in the process you move to where your weapon is outclassed by other weapon choices. Buffing the velocity would only make the weapon function at the ranges it is hard limited to by design and function. This will have no effect on ease of use or TTK.
  2. Frenk

Exactly why you can't have what you want AND +5 mag. Although a little buff somewhere else could be done.
  3. Necron

AC-X11 does lower DPS than pretty much any carbine in the game. 5 rounds isn't game-breaking like an 800 RPM 167 damage weapon would be. 2226 DPS for the VX67 compared to 1667 DPS for the AC-X11. Your stupid OP VS weapon would have almost 200 DPS more than the GD-7F which can't hit the side of a barn past about 15 meters. I mean I realize that TR and VS want to keep the NC on farm forever, but something needs to be done to balance the factions.
  4. Aegie

Yeah, really- nothing that has been proposed here is likely to have that much of an impact and you have to keep in mind that it is under performing as it is.
  5. Pikachu

I want 5 more bullets for DMR too.
  6. Staticsilver

ACX-11 is my new favorite gun, the things i could do with 5 more bullets would be awesome though in the long run not a huge deal, because usually your sticking to distance or rooftops with the gun or if your up close by the time the mag hits 6 they enemy is dead already or your going to die anyways. 5 more bullets wouldn't be a big deal and could be perfectly balanced if it was in the same slot as the foregrip. Other than that leave my ACX-11 alone
  7. Armchair

I figured that I'd speak up since the AC-X11 is my most used weapon and the first weapon that I earned an auraxium with.

I ran with it for so long because the engineer is my most played class, I'm one of the few who dislike the Mercenary, and it took me forever to grab a shotgun. Its downsides are numerous and have been covered in detail over the past couple of pages.

high recoil
    low rof
    low dps
    slow bullets
    wide cof when moving or from the hip
    small mag
    low damage per mag

In a head-to-head fight, your best hope to emerge victorious is to headshot the enemy and hope that they're going for bodyshots. At point blank, you basically pray that 2-3 hipshots hit before stabbing them in the face with your knife. That's your only hope of winning point blank (assuming the enemy has decent reflexes and isn't a terrible shot).

I kept using it for one primary reason. Consistency. That 0.0 ads cone of fire for the first shot. I could rely on it to perform the same way every time. When ADS, that first shot would always land where I expected it to land, and the few following it would never be far off the mark. Against a stationary sniper who think that he's a safe distance away, a headshot followed by a short burst or two would frequently dispatch them in short order.

Unfortunately the battlefield is not a shooting gallery. While cover and movement are important in every FPS, this game especially weights movement over cover. Your average enemy will spend most of his time sprinting and moving erratically. At the long ranges that the AC-X11 wants to excel, it fails against these targets. Its slow bullet velocity is so severe that whether you hit an evasive target at range is more a matter of chance rather than a matter of skill.....and you can't afford to leave things to chance with only 20 rounds in your magazine.

By far, the greatest buff I would like to see for this weapon is a bullet velocity buff. IMO its bullet velocity should be equal or superior to the Razor GD-23.

As for a larger magazine, I'd prefer that the AC-X11 keep the small 20 round magazine and low damage per magazine as its signature weaknesses. I'd much rather have improved weapon performance for those 20 rounds than a larger mag. More damage, better recoil, better cof bloom, etc. IMO, performance upgrades would keep the weapon feeling distinct from the rest of the NC arsenal. Increasing the magazine would go a long way towards homogenizing it and making it feel more like the other NC carbines.

I'd love to see this weapon evolve into a duelist's weapon rather than one you try to clear rooms with. One that performs exceptionally well at long-to-medium ranges against an individual or pair of targets, but lacks the endurance to sustain its performance for long or tolerate user error.
    • Up x 6
  8. Bhudda V1

i fell that upping the projectile velocity first before doing anything else would be for the best putting it a little under the reaper dmr would be good at about say 520-530 velocity making it nc's other option for longer range carbine's along side the razor.

also to give a little bit of perspective the other 200 damage gun's mussel velocities are for the nc6 gauss saw 600m/s the reaper dmr has 555m/s and the acx-11 has 480m/s

the nc6 being the most usable 200 damage weapon is not surprising the acx-11 being the most problematic one with some clear weakness's that the other 2 don't have is also cumulative to a already sup-par platform for long range with the carbine damage drop off and such I feel the velocity buff would go a long way to put this weapon alongside the other in term's of balance but i think the extra 5 rounds would be a bad idea giving the acx-11 a tiny amount more damage would go farther than 5 more rounds with more damage at max range putting the acx-11 about were i believe it should be as a effective long range carbine.
  9. Frenk

No, no, no. You don't understand me. Your silly prejudices about TR and VS are stopping you from reasoning. As I said I agree that NC weapons need an improvement in an area or two, BUT this improvement shouldn't touch "faction traits" like extended mags (even if it's less powerful than the original). That's why I sarcastically asked for a damage buff: high damage should be something really rare in both TR and vS (as it is now!) since it's a NC trait.
    • Up x 1
  10. Goretzu

Yeah it's a lot weaker at any range now, but it's still the NC carbine most likely to win for you at close and close-medium range. Whether it's better than a SMG (especically) or Shotgun at that range is a case of probably not, but it is still better than either further out (it's actually reasonably useful to a decent range with a lot of practice, although even there you'll get caught reloading a lot).

But even now in its current much weakened and limited state, it is still a main weapon other factions want removed..... seemingly because it can compete with thing like the Jag/Lynx at close range.
  11. Aegie

IMO, the people who complain about this are only looking at the 845RPM and saying "that's not fair, you're NC so you are supposed to have the lowest ROF".

Well, whatever, I have plenty of examples for those people why this should not be a very big deal- especially when you look at the rest of the stats and see that for a weapon with that damage*ROF it is hardcoded as the worst.

You can make these kinds of "where's my faction trait" arguments in a lot of different ways- for instance, of the 27 highest damage per shot weapons 8 are NC 8 are TR and 9 are VS. Now, granted, they are sniper rifles but that forgets that the sniper rifle is precisely where higher damage per shot matters so it still is a little strange these are all equal. Then, outside sniper rifles, the weapons with the highest damage per shot are the Commissioner and Underboss- both NS sidearms so that any faction, any class, any time can carry them and have whatever flavor they want on the primary with pocket NC traits that are more NC than NC.

At least TR does in fact have the highest ROF infantry weapon in the game with the Armistice at 896RPM and any class can carry that one- NC simply does not have exclusive access the highest damage per shot infantry weapon and the highest damage per shot infantry weapons are restricted to one class and primarily one role (extreme long range).

I really do not understand what goes through the minds of the people at SOE when we see one faction consistently out performed overall and in most categories for nearly a year without doing anything substantive to address the issue. I realize balance will never be perfect but in that context I would think it preferable to force a situation where one faction is not allowed to remain on the top, bottom, or middle forever.

I mean, think about flinch- 4+ months of putting up with that nonsense and what do we get? Well, we get to actually play the game and that was nice but there was exactly 0 consolation for those who stuck with an issue that really never should have been there in the first place and could and should have been corrected more or less immediately. Now, I'm not saying I want NC to be stupid OP for the next several months but what I am saying is that unless someone can provide a sound explanation for why we have been out performed since release then it is long over due that they look into the issue. If it ends up that data starts showing the NC out in the lead across the board and this appears to be stable then they can always dial some things back.

It's true that with data like this some faction and some item is pretty much always going to be on top, even if by a small amount, what is not true is that this has to be the same faction or same item all the time. If the only factor in these metrics was random variation (i.e. everything actually was balanced) then the rankings would fluctuate randomly over time and, at least in theory, you can always get closer to this kind of true balance if you know well enough what you are doing and take care to analyze the data and make regular adjustments.

I think the ACX-11 is the perfect place to start because 1) it's a carbine so it somewhat limited to begin with such that any change is unlikely to result in large scale effects, 2) API has shown that this weapon under performs compared to other options, even within NC, 3) it is an iconic weapon in that it is the most NC carbine available so the NC should be drawn to using it, if for no other reason than organically improving faction diversity in-game, 4) the changes I suggest would still leave the character of the weapon clearly intact, still having the fewest rounds, greatest recoil, worst movement COF and hipfire and would only 5) make the weapon what it clearly wants to be, a competitive long range carbine because, lets face it, the NC traits are such that you are most accurate when standing still in ADS and that is usually a terrible idea in a FPS unless you can keep your distance from the opposition and remain effective.
  12. Aegie

Oh no no no, I mean 5 more rounds standard.
  13. Aegie

Just curious, have you tried the Razor? I cut my teeth with the ACX-11 on a LA and just recently unlocked the Razor and have been kicking myself ever since for not unlocking it sooner. I have yet to find a single situation where I do worse with the Razor than the ACX-11. Snipers? Not a problem at all with the Razor, even though I tend to run with a hybrid short/long setup, I can put head shots down range a lot faster, the drop is easier to judge and by default the clustering is better because it has higher ROF so each burst is tighter by definition. Basically, unless they make changes I honestly do not think I will ever go back to the ACX-11 for anything.
  14. Lamat

It's funny how all the weapons with the most "NC flavor" are so bad. Our best performing guns are the ones most like the other factions. It says a lot about how NC wasn't planned so well. I'm not a fan of any of the 200 damage tier weapons, I don't see any advantage in using them over the 167 ones.

I think if you pair TRs high rate of fire with extra ammo to complement it, you should pair high damage low ROF with accuracy.

High damage per shot is useless if you shoot less bullets less accurately, and have to stand still while you do it to boot. Having to burst fire an already low ROF gun, unless the raw damage accounted for that in the DPS, what a joke.
    • Up x 2
  15. Lamat

Wouldn't it be nice if the "NC flavor" weapons were the ones the enemy feared and what made you want to play NC?
    • Up x 5
  16. Aegie

Yeah, this definitely. Bacon please.

People should want to use faction iconic weapons not just because they are iconic but also because they perform well compared to other options. "Middle of the road" options, IMO, if anything should tend to be the inferior models since more players using these bleeds out the faction flavors.

Do NC even have anything that the other factions fear? I guess a 2/2 Vanguard with full cert shield arouses some fear but only from other lone MBTs and even then not so much depending on the circumstances. Infantry certainly have no reason to fear Vanguards.
    • Up x 1
  17. Flashtirade

People still fear the Scatmax, though now they have the ability to do the same thing (.3 seconds is still pretty much an instagib with latency and average reaction times, how many times has an SMG infiltrator decloaked in front of you and killed you even if you started shooting when you saw him?).

What else, what else... maybe the Jackhammer?
    • Up x 2
  18. DashRendar

Bump for this.
  19. Van Dax

The buff for the acx-11 that you've listed is very reasonable, probably even a little conservative, but lets not overstep the purpose of this thread.
    the acx-11
  20. Lamat

The fundamental design flaw in NC faction trait infantry weapons:

Pros
    -high damage per shot
    -less damage drop off
    -good ADS (if you stand still, standing still means your easier to kill)

Cons
    -lower rate of fire = lower DPS (unless damage per shot was higher than it is) = misses less forgiving
    -less ammo = less sustained damage (except for Guass Saw)
    -bad hip fire (most infantry battles are CQC, longer ranges usually overshadowed by vehicles)

What they should have done when giving NC lower ammo and slower firing weapons, is make our damage per shot high enough that we have the highest DPS, but least sustained damage. Instead we are given both of the negatives.

Why does TR get the best DPS *AND* sustained damage (high ammo) while NC has the worst DPS *AND* worst sustained damage (low ammo)?

The NC still has some good weapons, but as I said in an earlier post they are the most like the other factions weapons, while the "NCiest" weapons are hit with so many negative sides they are laughable. SOE, please make the 200 damage tier weapons cool. They should have the highest DPS (via higher damage per shot not ROF) limited by less sustained damage (ammo).
    • Up x 2