Reign of the 0.5 KDR's

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rane, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Mootar

The changes to the XP rewards will not make a bit of difference to anything except making those who can't/don't kill much a slightly higher BR.

Those who like Farming kills and camping spawns will still do it because they either enjoy it or they care about their K/D, those who get farmed will still cry.

Nothing will change except meaningless battle ranks.
    • Up x 1
  2. Chowley

so you mean the people who play the game as opposed to spawn camping? :p
    Also not a 0.1-.05 k/d here, but nice theory.
    • Up x 1
  3. medbot544

Valid point but here I get no real special feeling when I help cap or defend a base. It's like, big deal...they will just come back and zerg when most my faction runs off within 5 mins of that cap.

Yet in a TF type games; I could die a billion times but if I just get one single flag cap, perhaps even the winning one: I jump out of my chair and do a little dance (sometimes). Only goal I have atm in PS2 is farmin certs which is not my fault....this is how the game is currently designed.

Remove deaths and only list kills. Kill indicator pie chart things can just show percents as well. If you have no idea how many times you have really died....I don't think people would care so much about it? I know I would not.
  4. DrunkenDoughnuts

I guess I'm bad with my KDR of over 8. I should probably go play another game. Farmville sounds nice. Anyway...I spawn camp all the time in my magrider. Why -- because I can. If there's a nice fence around the spawns or bases that I can't get get the mag through, well, I wouldn't be able to spawn camp anymore. Since the bases are wide open, then I'm gonna be there. If my mag gets blown up then I'll spawn at the nearest AMS and go stand on the point. I don't feel like I should apologize for the way I play (on the internet, of all places) on a free game. I play the way that is fun for me. Even with the way I play I still have +900 bases defended, and +600 bases captured, so I'm certainly helping the team.

With that said, I don't mind the upcoming changes. What's more important is that the changes increase the pops on the servers. We'll just have to wait and see.
  5. Skadi

Oh who said it was a race, we launched flash's at 300 KPH and flew across indar 3X times (it turns out if you fly far enough you end up on the other side of indar)
  6. Helwyr

I have to disagree that score per hour is the only one that can account for all playstyles, as all playstyles are not rewarded equally, and as you say it doesn't account for goofing around, being afk, or getting exp boosts for $$$. The whole thing is silly, SOE should just allow players individually to choose which stats they see and are displayed for others to see. Just get rid of the leaderboard. Then SOE can just drop all the esports nonsense and get working on a real metagame to drive the Faction vs Faction gameplay that Planetside is supposed to be about.
  7. Sock

Or just ignore any stat you don't care about? No, SOE should implement a fun/hour stat.
    • Up x 1
  8. Badgered

I'm a fan of the patch notes.

Rather than simply relegate KDR to some dark corner of the statistics sheet I'd prefer the complete obliteration of the statistic all together. It has no place in a team-based game.

I just wish they'd actually re-assess base design rather than just providing us with tunnels. The walls in most bases have so many holes in them that they may as well not be there at all.

I'm also leery about the XP change. I'm all in favor of increasing defender rewards and the XP gained for support roles but the kill XP gives me pause. If they increased the XP for objectives and support roles and set XP levels to what they currently are during double XP weekends I'd be happy.

Oh, and reduce the health of liberators by at least 30%.
  9. TimeyWimey

I like the patch notes except the invulnerability nonsense. But, I'm fairly sure they'll remove it after a day or 5 the patch goes live.
  10. Xandax

That's not about the farming. That's about capping empty bases which few people find fun - especially if the reward is not similar to fighting and killing.

As for much of the patch notes, I think they're fine. Main thing I disagree with is the silly notion of being immune while spawning at a sundere parked in a combat zone or revived by a medic in a combat zone. Immunity does not belong in my book.
  11. SKYeXile

sorry i meant to say if it were tuned right, it could.
  12. Runkel

1.62 K/D Infantry Only (no sniping) here, i realy hope they remove K/D and not just add another stat.
  13. siiix

i mostly play infantry as well 0.31 here... there thing is this is not a ticket based based, who cares how many times i die... its completely irrelevant how many deaths i have... its simple mathematics

i rater hunt AA and AV, who cares how many times i die
  14. Bill Hicks

lol the people with high KDR's are probably dalton/rocketpod/magrider spammers. Lets see your KD after you get nerfed a little
  15. Runkel

Nobody should, K/D is a very bad indicator about how good you play, for example in Battlefield 3 i ended up with a K/D of 1.5, always playing the objective always on the hot spots where my team needed me.

A Friend of mine got a K/D of 2.5+, all he does is prone in front of tunnels with his SAW and mow down all the enemys.

Who's the better player? Easy the one that helps his team, there's no indicator for that, you HAVE to sacrifice yourself sometimes ruining your K/D (For example rush as first player into a a room to help to clear it, it's not thankfull but it will help your team win), it's simple as that.

K/D Is only a good indicator when you play with people on your skill level, in a game like this, where you are thrown together will all sorts of players it means absolutly nothing.
    • Up x 1
  16. Purg

K/D above 9, never been in an ESF or Lib and have less 1% of my kills from tanks. A switch of focus to SPM is an improvement on K/D, though I would still prefer they ditched K/D altogether. Regardless of where the focus is, people will still want to measure their skill on K/D and it's an extremely poor method of measurement.
    • Up x 1
  17. Phaze

This is absolutely true.

People camp spawns while they wait for hexes to be captured... that's it. They will still do that... nobody is going to wander off and let the enemy surge out of their spawn just for the @#$% of it. Behavior will stay the same, people will just get less XP.
  18. Talizzar

What is funny is that those with a low KD ratio are the ones doing the dirty work. Getting killed while trying to heal those that do all the killing. My ratio is not great but I had not played a 1st person shooter in a very long time and healed and repaired stuff and died lots, So what? Being killed does not hurt your team. Watching other good players has helped. I tend to play a more conservative game and that seems to get me killed more than just charging! LOL

I have no clue what the KD ratio has to do with the patch notes either. They are trying to make the game play better. Spawn camping is really not very fun.
  19. Purg

Exactly - but you'll find their efforts shouted down here. Saw one post suggesting that they obviously suck and it's the only way they can get XP. When I'm AA MAX, I'm grateful for those Engineers that are willing to stand by me for the greater good and often die repeatedly to Lib spam while they heal and feed me ammo. If K/D meant anything to them, they'd have left the AA MAX's out there to rot and the area to be overwhelmed by air.

It's the support guys that extend the squad or platoon's ability to fight and win and they usually perform it at the expense of this precious K/D. I hate going support because I have way more fun in shooting things yet I play with people who get their enjoyment being the small cog in the larger wheel to keep that wheel rolling.
  20. TeknoBug

Really? You don't play medic or engineer then?