Average KD

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rendezvous, Dec 2, 2012.

1. toastybanban

My NC char, according to Recursion (which doesn't compensate for rezzes) is 2.2. My VS char is 2.8 according to Recursion. Stats for Planetside Universe of my K/DR is below.
  2. Frosty The Pyro

not low at all, remember every kill produces a death, but not every death produces a kill, the average by definition will be less than one. Or at least thats how it used to be, they made medic revives erase a death so it might be over one now, but maybe not, still a decent amount of suicides, and there was a lot of time before the medic revive change.

admitidly k/d ration doesnt mean much, mine is like 1.2, and my vanu charactesr is like .8 (though my vanue character basicly hunts vehicles all the time, and big game do not make high kdrs)
  3. Kolbax

Strange when I played NC briefly on Cobalt, most people told me 6 or more was average lol :)

something like; https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428044677963317441

I actually vary. Just after patch day I seem to suddenly get a rise in my K/D/Skill out of nowhere, which granted is never that good but I do find it funny. Just running in and having fun.

Weird thing, just after patch day people who were killing me easily are suddenly 'bad' for about half a day/24 hours then all of a sudden they are pulling off kill streaks solo against entire groups again. I guess that must be 'lag' or perhaps they are sad after the game has been down and take a while to get back into their stride.

One guy I came across was hitting me with consistant head shots all day, then patch dropped and when they came back.. guy couldnt even take me down with almost a whole lmg mag. Or hit a sundy at point blank it seems.

tl:dr: why bother with K/D half of you wouldnt know legit play if it was fired up your *** with a RL.
  4. Nakar

If your KDR is >1, you are probably decently above-average. If it's 2+ you are well ahead of the curve. 3+ and you're pretty much in as elite a crew as the guys with 6+, because most people who play the game truly are that bad. Go look at the KDRs of people that you kill; quite often you'll find most of them are <1. Granted, you'll always occasionally get someone closer to your level or better, but it's much less likely to happen (because those people don't die as much).

My TR Connery character's top 10 kills list shows three characters >1, and two of them just barely. My Emerald VS, just 4 (and only one above 1.5). The people I kill most are, as you might intuitively expect, not getting very many kills themselves. Your list is probably not too different.

So if your KDR is "just" some number between 1 and 2.5 or so, cheer up: You're actually one of the better players in any given fight that you're in. It's a statistical fact!
    • Up x 2
  5. toastybanban

True this ^

I have Recursion on (as said earlier) and most of the guys I kill fall in between 0.3 - 0.8 K/DR without rezzes taken into account. Most of the higher K/DR (3+) people I kill or get killed by are often in aircraft, a MAX suit or a tank.
  6. dasichri

My 2 nickels (theres no pennies here anymore lol)

If someone has a K/D of less than one, it doesn't mean they are a "bad" or "average" player.

I mean, I am pretty sure my K/D isn't below 1, but I was just thinking about the constant situations I provide support in, shooting very little and dieing more often than I kill, for entire battles.

Stats do not accurately reflect someone's skill, especially in a game that allows for certain ways to pad such stats.

Consider say, my accuracy with certain weapons, its below average, not because I suck at aiming with them, why then? Because I use suppression fire A LOT, and I am starting to do it more so even with weapons that aren't quite designed for it.
  7. POPCORNpro

Thats because cobalt and Ceres Merged, and Ceres is Farming Nation! lol

Honestly I think K/D is irrelevant, High K/Ders generally Farm a lot, which isn't hard, and often if a farmer is killed too many times they will redeploy to another region ect and lots of people play just to look for the farm, which is why they have very high K/Ds. I however look for good average fights for a good game, farming is fun somethings but it gets old

I think 0.7 fine while SPM really lets people know whats going on. e.g My K/D is 0.8 but my SPM is 350
  8. TheRunDown

I believe a good KDR is 2.1 to 2.5 for a legit character who not too worried about kills.. and 3+ for an exceptional player.
    Anything over 5 is normally just a Farming Character or a Try Hard. (or cheater)
    You'll never catch these players outside of either a ESF or MAX suit, or they only play one style of gameplay day in and day out.

I know a guy on Miller who has a KDR of 21+, and all he does is play HE Magrider as Infiltrator and just bails his Mag if he gets caught out and redeploys.

I even met a Sniper who's KDR is 10+ and all he does it Snipe 24/7, he never puts himself close enough to get ganked and always hides behind his Empire. He doesn't get kills very fast, but he gets many MANY! kills in one life.

The average support class I see has a KDR of 0.6+.. I find these are often the older folks and not to bothered about Kills or scoreboard, they just want to play the game and have fun with their outfit.

Ultimately, if you're more concerned about KD than gameplay, this is probably the wrong game for you..

But you'll always get KDR players in this game who don't really care about Alerts, territory, or team play.. they're more concerned about finding the next farm or easy kills, what's happening on the ground to a ESF farmer is no bother to them, as long as there's ESFs to kill and Infs to Farm with AI Weapons or Rocket Pods.. They are often no help to the Empire, and their see the scoreboard is more valuable than colours covering the map..

I believe these players are ruining PlanetSide 2 for everyone, and turning it in to something it's not.

I myself, I rarely look at the scoreboard or where I am on it or where my friends are.

The old Devs tried to make this game MLG for so long, the game started to lose its roots, and people started to become toxic..
    This game should be more about the teamplay and strategy, like the good old days.. PlanetSide wasn't perfect, but it was a damn sight more team focused and less farmable by design than PlanetSide 2..

If a ForumSider uses their KDR in a Forum argument of Opinion, their Argument or Opinion is void if they have to resort to going that low. KDR literally means nothing when it's so easy to gain it and in so many ways to achieve it. FAR! too many Low Risk High Reward mechanics in PlanetSide 2..

A high KDR doesn't mean they're better, nor does it mean their Opinion is better than yours.
    Their are so many Forum Knights on here, they'll defend the most broken weapons, and bully you if you speak out against it, because their farming tools are under threat.
  9. EclecticDreck

One kill generates one death which means the average KD is 1.0.

Having said that, there are factors that drag that value down from that theoretical ideal. A friendly fire kill does not generate a valid kill for the shooter but it does generate a valid death. Suicide does not generate a kill either - just a death. Between suicide and TK's, the average KD is closer to 0.8 than 1.0 as a result.
  10. Pirbi

If the population is 5 and 4 people killed the same guy all the time, their average KDR is not 1.
  11. TheFlamingLemon

The average KD is probably around 1.2 because revives
  12. MonnyMoony

K/D is meaningless in a game like this.

If I spend all my time as a medic or engineer - reviving players, healing, repairing and resupplying - i'd likely have a very low K/D - but does that make me a bad player?

If I spent all my time behind a spawn room shield sniping careless enemies whilst immune to return fire, never pushing out to defend the capture point, then redeploying before the base flips - I could have a very high K/D - but does that make me a good player.

K/D can only really be used as a measure of skill in arena type shooters where enemies are more or less equal in terms of weaponry, terrain, pickups and where it is difficult if not impossible to stat pad or farm.
  13. Garrum

I seem to remember some guy that had checked into this a year or so ago, and if my memory is right he said that the average KDR was 0.85, at least of the data he was able to check. There are a lot more people that die more than they kill than there are people that kill more than they die.
  14. Azawarau

Was this thread really necrod more than once...

KD average is probably between .8 and 1.2

I base this on nothing

Mine is .8