[BUG] Why are claymores still broken with no lasers projecting from them?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RaskolBandit, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Imperial Sect

Claymores are still OP. I've literally walked over bouncing bettys and have taken almost no damage, they re crap. Proxies aren't much better, if your sprinting you can just run passed them as well. Claymores however, instakill. Don't take this as a "Nerf claymores", AI mines should be instakill, proxies and bettys need the obvious lights removed from them and kill the second its triggered.
  2. Spankay

People complaining bout AI mines when we already have EOD I, II and III.
    You guys sound just like those idiot drivers who complain about the front of vehicle spawns being mined.

Also, you guys seemed to have forgotten the time when NC and VS mines sunk under the floor but killed just as effectively.
    IMHO, this is PS2 and SOE, so many things are bound to not work right. And then after some time, it will be some other faction's mines or whatever that isn't working right again.

TL;DR, wait a few months for the cycle to come over to your faction and make something not work right and people will complain your stuff is OP.

I'd like to quote something I always saw from Blizz when I was a WoW player: "Working as intended."
  3. Leftconsin

I've seen some really lazily placed claymores. I've also seen some really well placed betties and proxy mines. Well, not so much seen but stepped on.

How you use them and where you put them are different. I've even seen claymores in the middle of doors facing sideways functionally covering only half that doorway even IF someone is careless enough to not see it. I should have taken a screen shot. Whoever did that also repeated the mistake on the other doorway into that building.
    • Up x 1
  4. MarkAntony

remove the lasers AND the lights on other mines. They are stupid....
    • Up x 1
  5. TheKhopesh

Discreet? Try deep cloak level invisible.
    They're far too difficult to notice compared to the others.
  6. TheKhopesh

and blinking "I'm right here, run away now!" lights on C-4.
    That's just lame.

No one actually puts lights or sound emitters on anti infantry or anti vehicle explosive charges.
    The point is for them to actually kill something!
    • Up x 1
  7. Uncle_Lou

This is gonna sound stupid, but after all my play time I never even realized claymores were directional lol. Never paid attention I guess. So when you place it, is the business side facing you, or facing away?
  8. PinkHurtsMyEyes

Right - completely non-biased comment.
    Allow me to flesh it out for you: VS get unique gimmicky-useless charge mech on some of their guns.

Or VS get cardboard-based, gimmick tank only good for baserape (well it ws before the Proton nerf) , TR gets insane DPS at insane range and NC gets GOD-mode (well against vanu at least - TR DPS is so sick Vanguard shield is not OP against it). Not making a tank arguement here but "normal tanks" is a tad simplified, no?

VS gets another, gimmicky charge up weapon with the choice of "forever to fire" or no DPS - but yeah the projectile travel speed is great. It is great for mass use though. And that happens a lot, not.
  9. cykael

Nicer? I'm asking for things to be balanced. There are glowing lights on PM and BB and they can't be placed as conveniently as Claymore can. They also do less damage with a delay which makes it so even a flakless Infil can run through them and not die most of the time.

I'll admit that I think the entire idea behind AP mines plays against one of the most important factors that separates good players from bad players in FPS games: crosshair positioning.

It's also absolutely ******* hilarious that there are some TR players that imply other factions don't know how to place the mines. Maybe if you took your head out of your *** you'd realize Claymore is actually infinitely easier to place where it will get kills, hidden behind a doorway.

There are several (NS) weapons where TR performs the worst, maybe TR should learn to shoot mans then instead of crying their weapons suck, huh?
  10. Outreach

This always cracks me up. It's ******* no where near being hitscan.
  11. Gazatron

Firstly, what was that at the end about? What have guns got to do with a thread about mines? Grasping at strawmen are we? Or using shotgun argument methods? Shotgun arguments don't work in written debates where people have unlimited response time FYI.

Moving on.

I can't say it anymore. This idea that claymores are easier to place is nonsense. Do your demand a deployment time? No. They are all instant (nearly). My point is this, which your clearly not getting, let me help you.

How do claymores work?
    They have a lethal side and a nonlethal side. Placement is dictated by pointing the lethal side toward enemy, right?
    When we place them, we have to point them in the direction we predict they will kill, but, we have to point our bodies that way too as directional placement isn't an aspect of placement for the TR.

So please understand. Where a BB/PM can be tucked into a corner, a claymore cannot, well, not if we want to kill something anyway.

I'm not saying it's more difficult, I never have, but it requires more thinking for reason described above (lethal side vs nonlethal side).

Explain to me how VS/NS mines can't be placed more conveniently? Are you referring to range of explosion?
    All mines can be placed behind doorways.

I also do not appreciate the personal attack telling me to get my head out of my ***. I have provided arguments from a point of functionality and all you have said is they are easier/harder to place, don't do damage, too difficult to see. Well that's all anecdotal arguments which mean nothing.

The only thing presented so far is the stats page but even the. We don't know how many people use claymores. Perhaps more players use claymores overall? If one person pulls a BB and one a PM and 4 guys pull claymores each faction mine gets a kill. The claymores have double the kills of the other factions. Doesn't mean they are better. Just used more. Someone find that statistic because it won't suprise if quantity used is a deciding factor.
  12. Village

Agreed 100%, either give the obvious lasers back to claymores, or even better remove the ridiculous lights from ALL the explosives. It was a terrible addition to begin with. If players are careless running into areas of interest then they deserve the death.
    • Up x 1
  13. cykael

You've been answered to all of your questions in this very thread already by other people, if you do not understand how bigger kill radius and instant trigger make the mine better at being actual mine than a frisbee you throw into a group of enemies then I don't know how to help you.

The end part was also a sarcastic jab at all the TR players who think they Claymore gets higher statistics just because they are better players, I thought it was fairly obvious.
  14. RykerStruvian

Remove lights from all AI mines.
  15. Copasetic

Compared to the other launchers it almost (I bolded it for you this time) is. 800 m/s charged vs 125 m/s for the next fastest launcher. No drop either.
    • Up x 1
  16. Xasapis

I disagree with either solution.

The first thing that needs to happen is for the NC and VS mines to lose the activation delay they have, which is not shared by TR. This delay is exaggerated by lag, which makes it very possible for somebody to run out of the lethal blast radius, even without wearing flak armor.

If we see that the activation delay was not sufficient in normalizing the kills, then we can proceed with aesthetic changes.
  17. zu2

There have been numerous changes to claymores. In the beginning, first change was to make the lasers so enemies couldn't see them because they stood out like crazy. Then claymores were changed so that they killed in a radius like proxy and bbs, in other words, you couldn't stand behind them and survive. This was a bug that lasted for months. Along with this bug was a bug where they bounced off your shoulder and quite often wound up misplaced. This bug has reappeared and I misplace 15-20 percent of my current claymores. Claymores during this time period could also be displaced by friendly troops. Finally claymores were made sticky and given back the directional capability so that the blast only affected the frontal arc. Along the way they were given a buff in killing power because they were so underused. People ask why TR don't use claymores more often, and the answer is, they are a pain in the butt. Who am I to state this? The claymore king, with 18k plus claymore kills, more than the top proxy and bb mine leaders combined. Yet they still piss me off because of the misplacement issue, which is unpredictable.
  18. Dieter Perras

Having used all three types of landmines & and having been killed by all three types I feel inclined to say that I never would have even known there was a difference in damage or radius had it not been for forumside and its hate of faction differences.
  19. Xasapis

Be glad people don't use them much, otherwise they would be rebalanced very fast. As it is now, they perform 25% better than the other two mines:

1045 - Proximity Mine | KPH | Daily Average: 140.28
    1044 - Bouncing Betty | KPH | Daily Average: 141.81
    429 - Claymore | KPH | Daily Average: 187.81

The usage is lower, but not by much:

1045 - Proximity Mine | Uniques | Daily Average: 3423.82
    1044 - Bouncing Betty | Uniques | Daily Average: 3178.00
    429 - Claymore | Uniques | Daily Average: 3062.75
    • Up x 1
  20. barunedpat

You place them with the explosive arc facing away from you. I think they cannot be turned, so it limits a bit were you can place them. Also, if you try just dropping them, they will fall over. You need some distance between yourself and were you put it down or the mine rolls around and only explode if someone comes up from the ground.