[BUG] Why are claymores still broken with no lasers projecting from them?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RaskolBandit, Dec 4, 2014.

1. RaskolBandit

Claymores are by far the best AP mine in the game, they can be effectively hidden around corners, while the smaller blast radius on the other AP mines make this impossible. VS has the most easily visible AP mine, followed by NC, while TR has no lighting on their claymores with a larger directional blast, making them incredibly effective for choke points, which is the only time AP mines are useful.
    • Up x 5
  2. Gazatron

They do have lasers. They are just discreet. Before they were super easy to see. Like someone with laser sight turned on around a corner. Besides I thinks this is a L2P issue. If your getting killed by mines your not checking corners properly.

Don't get me wrong I still get killed by them, however, on reflection, it could have been prevented if I had looked down.
    • Up x 5
  3. FateJH

You know how people are always turning their laser sight off?

(Note: I'm serious. Someone check this in-game with a non-TR character.)
  4. cykael

The lasers don't render 99% of the time, I've seen them once so far and if I didn't see images of the green beams on here I wouldn't even know they existed. It's not L2P issue at all, claymore is the best AP mine by far, and it's backed by stats as well.
  5. Gazatron

Does best now mean "must be nerfed" on forumside? Something is always going to be best.

I cant say I use them often or run into them often but when I do I can see the lasers.

Come on. You have to accept that you going to be killed by AI mines.

Like I said if your honest with yourself deaths could be prevented.

Besides what do you want? A big glowing sign saying "CLAYMORE"?

Seriously, look at the ground before you found a corner like I've learnt to do. It's not hard. Stop asking for things to be nicer. This is a game about war after all.
    • Up x 3
  6. Crator

Claymores are easiest to see imo... They protrude upwards unlike the NC or VS mines... The disadvantage the NC/VS mines have are they both have glowy lights that slowly dim on and off. All three require you to take your time and look at the ground in spots where mines are normally placed.
    • Up x 6
  7. Archiadus

They never actually go off though, it's the same as with the darklight flashlight and probably the normal one too. You can turn them off but more often than not they'll still appear to be activated to others which makes it very easy to track players. :p
  8. Calissei

Wat? ...
    Remove the "visible from 30cm" green lasers from them and give them red pulsing lights instead; similar to vs/nc mines, voila, balanced. It will still have superior blast damage and instant triggering, only i will have a chance of seeing them - just like you see ours in the night.
  9. Bonom Denej

What are you saying ? They do turn off for everyone. That's one stupid thing about LS/ALS by the way, you have no interest of keeping it on since you'll only be more visible (people might see your laser before your body around a corner). If it was a downside to the added hipfire accuracy it would make sense, but the hipfire accuracy should then be decreased when turned off because it makes no sense* that you keep the increased accuracy without the laser on, it's what is supposed to make your aim better.

OT : I think claymores are fine.

*Oh wait, we're in a video game. Nevermind.
    • Up x 1
  10. lothbrook

BB and Prox mines have big glowing signs that say BB and Prox mines, also the claymore has a kill zone that goes beyond 3m while the others are only 2m. It being directional isn't a good reason for this because with all the flashy bits they're only good when hidden around a corner near chokepoints anyways, but with that extra meter you can hide it further from the chokepoint ensuring your target sets it off when he can't back out or see it.
    • Up x 3
  11. Copasetic

Nah I think the best way to use them is to suicide bomb crowds as an infil. Works great in towers.
  12. Arsonix

It doesn't matter how much more visible you try to make them. Players will still stick them around the edge of doorways where you can't see them and because they deal significantly more damage and detonate instantly unlike the other mines they will still grab kills. Not to mention there is a little visibility trick you can abuse where you drop a Claymore at your feet and sit your character on top of it but just 1 pixel behind the exact center of the Claymore and you can actually hide it with your legs, then when it goes off it has no effect on you because you were 1 pixel behind where the blast starts.

On top of all that NC/VS mines are carbon copies of each other. TR are randomly blessed with having a totally unique weapon. Thus bringing the total amount of TR empire specific gear higher than everyone else's. If you want to even maintain the illusion of asymmetrical balance you can't just play favorites with one faction like this.

180 and 360 degree blast radius mines need to be shared across all factions

That or NC/VS need to get a different type of mine from each other which I honestly don't see happening as there aren't many types of AP mines you can think up.
    • Up x 1
  13. Copasetic

VS get unique charge mechanics on some of their guns, TR and NC get normal guns.

VS gets a unique strafing MBT, TR and NC get normal tanks.

NC gets a guided rocket as its special, VS gets an almost hitscan laser cannon, TR gets just another rocket launcher.

I could go on, point is there's no playing favorites just because one faction has a weapon that works differently than the others. And no, we don't need to give every empire 180 and 360 degree mines any more than we need to give every empire a camera guided rocket launcher or both a strafing tank and non strafing tank.

What they should do is remove the delay on the other mines. There's no reason for it and it's probably responsible for a big part of the performance differences.
    • Up x 5
  14. Xasapis

I wouldn't mind a different kind of AP mines. Well, not mines per se, but it would be cool if you could install infrared beams that do nothing but emit a sound you and your allies can hear, as a warning system.
  15. CMDante

Claymores are one of the last true example of asymmetrical things left. More damage but easier to see, a significantly narrowed area of effect and slightly harder to place to devastating effect.

The problem isn't claymores, the problem is that NC and VS, generally speaking, seem to be too lazy to place theirs intelligently. A 1,000 damage trip mine is a nasty thing.
    • Up x 5
  16. Gazatron

Slight exaggeration about flashy lights.

I'd say one directional is an acceptable justification because don't forget we can't tuck claymores away in a corner like the other two. Not the deadly side anyway.

My point is still isn't refuted that if you check corners you will survive regardless of faction AI mine.

L2P issue as most nerf threads.

I especially find this one and the medkit one amusing.
  17. Arsonix

You completely missed the point.

VS get unique charge mechanics on some of their guns. TR get unique weapons with their own ups and downs, same with NC.

VS gets a unique strafing MBT. TR gets a unique high rate of fire, fast moving MBT. NC gets a heavily armored, high alpha damage MBT.

NC gets a guided rocket. VS get the laser canon. TR get the multiple lock on launcher

In all those cases 1 faction has something completely different than the other two. With AP mines NC and VS get exact carbon copies with the exception of minor aesthetic differences.
  18. gartho33

show me this multiple lock on launcher.... I know not of that witch you speak....

as for the topic at hand, mines are all about on par. The only problem I've seen with VS and NC mines is that they place them in locations visible by approach. such examples are middle of door ways and several yards beyond a corner.

Claymores may have an advantage at choke points... but they are just as easy to avoid/counter if not more so than others.
    • Up x 1
  19. barunedpat

This is Forumside. Statistics or ****.
  20. LT_Latency

Just look for them. All mines have the same trigger distance. So you can always see mines before they will go off. If you step on a mine it's almost always your fault for not looking because they can be easily avoid if you take the time to look for them.

Claymores are much taller then the other mines but their lights are not as bright.
    Claymores are more likely to kill you if you pass them on the right side but do nothing if you pass them on the wrong side.
    Claymores are not as good as a bomb you drop on a group of enemies as infs.
    • Up x 2