How much ping is considered acceptable

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZeroErrorz, May 20, 2014.

1. Fenrisk

You get more time to kill because no matter what action he take's it will be significantly delayed on your screen and your able to take advantage of that delay. You have the advantage of shooting & hitting where he was and being able to kill him rather then where he is according to the server itself. Your shooting his ghost rather then him and reaping the rewards. If his ping is 25 and yours is 350 his actually position on the server is 14 times more accurate then yours so yes you can shoot him in cover due to your own crappy connection.

While the server says I'm behind cover and completely safe from your shots due to my 25 ping. Your 350 server ping + client side hit detection means I'm still getting hit despite being in complete cover. That severely reduces my options in a infantry battle in this game. It makes seeking cover pointless as players with high ping get to shoot a ghost version of me that's 14's slower then my current player. In a game with TTK's of 0.1 too 0.4 this is extremely significant and this is why infantry battles in this game are non competitive.
    • Up x 1
  2. Tentakewls

The same applies to the person with high ping, why is that hard to understand? You are also shooting at his ghost just like he is, and he will die while under complete cover just like you do. I don't see why you believe that high ping players are immune to this, or you think that everytime you kill someone on your screen they were not under cover on theirs?
    • Up x 1
  3. ZeroErrorz

i guess i just pissed off alot of torch and pitchfork because of my ping and advantage it gave, but if i may ask does it come with any downsides ?
  4. DevDevBooday

I got ping of 52 flat.
    I live within 15kms of the Briggs server
    :D
  5. ZeroErrorz

i live in the island north to australia, timor which i think is beetwen 300km-500km to the closest beach of australia.... i guess i made a mistake/right choice picking matherson as my main depend on how you see it..
  6. LibertyRevolution

First off.. Aim is meaningless..
    The guns have random COF.. so even if your crosshair is dead nuts on the target, your bullets will still miss.
    Want a fun test? Go point blank to an enemy terminal, ADS, shoot it full auto point blank, count the rounds to kill.
    Repeat test now using single fire mode.
    Be amazed at how many less rounds it takes in single shot mode.
    So either bullets are getting lost in transit when weapons are on full auto, or COF in this game is WAY worse than you think.

If you are using an EM6, and you are at 30m, then you need to land 13 bullets on a NW5 NMG HA.
    A lot of your shots miss.. you have a 28% ACC with your EM6... that means 72% of your shots miss their target.
    So with a 28% ACC you would have to fire 22 bullets (13x 1.72) on average to down your target.

Make more since now why it takes you 20+ rounds to down a target?

Shoot some video, watch your engagment, count the red X's, as those are the only hits.
  7. xThundergodx

I can state for this to be true. I play on Connery and im from South America, unfortunatelly my country has one of the worst internet services in the world so i sit with 250ms sometimes hitting 330ms or so. If anything while i play i fell im usually at a disavantage, it isnt uncommon for me to turn a corner meet and enemie and have react and start firing at inhuman speed mostly because on his screen i had already turned the corner maybe 1-2s earlier than on my screen and he can start firing away.

When my ping gets towards its high end i also have to deal with rather troublesome things such as people jumping from a celling and going through the floor on my screen making it impossible to shoot them while they can shoot me, also having people ADSing sort of teleporting 2-3m away from their original position due to rubberband, and my all time favorite getting killed once i have already gotten to cover.
    • Up x 2
  8. kadney

Does anyone got some screenshots of the new "feature"? Why did they change this?
  9. Fenrisk

The same doesn't apply to you as your actually position on the server isn't accurate at all and when you see yourself in cover according the the server your not because of your own bad connection. According to the server when your outside of cover YOU ARE outside of cover because of your own high latency.

A player with low ping can be in cover according to the server, in cover according to his team mates and in cover on his screen but still get shot because of client side hit detection from one laggy high ping player. That is where low ping players get punished. We can all be in cover according to each other and in cover according to the server in a infantry battle but still die behind cover because of one high ping enemy player.
  10. Odin

If we get a under 150 ping server, I would come back to the game. My entire group of friends just quit a few months ago because Mattherson had become a laggy players stomping ground. Playing against 200 plus ping players isn't fun in the slightest. I love the game but it became too annoying to die behind cover, inside buildings to be worth the trouble. Gunplay was the dev teams mantra when they started making this game and the gunplay has turned into FarmVille type experience.
    Soe fix this stuff or more and more of your hardcore fps base will abandon you and then the 200 ms laggers will also leave.
    • Up x 1
  11. Posse

BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS**T

First of all, it goes both ways, half my deaths are behind cover because of my ping, and no, I'm not exagerating.

Second, trading kills is a disadvantage for a good player.

I'd rather play with 50 ping.

Clientside makes a lot (not all) of the disadvantages of high ping disappear, it doesn't give advantages, not at all.

Weird that you have 350 average, I'm from Argentina too but I usually hover around 200-220.

Oh, believe me that I've played FPS games with low ping against both low and high ping players, and I'm pretty sure that if I had that 25 ping in this game, my performance would increase quite a lot (to begin with, I'd waste less ammo so I'd probably be able to kill one more guy before reloading each time).

Dude, you're comparing 90s games with a game from 2012, netcode in shooters improved greatly in a lot of aspects, and just for the record, I played against high ping players in Community Clash (the finals against MCY) and scrims against INI, I didn't feel any difference when shooting at them (aside from the fact that they were obviously way above the average player).

And every time you get shot at, you have a 350 latency disadvantage, your point is?
    • Up x 2
  12. Bumbil

I have theory, don't blame if it goes in any wrong direction :D. A direct test would be cool.

Imagine 2 Snipers standing towards each other. Both have a OHK-weapon with the same muzzle velocity. They aim at the head of the other one.

Sniper 1 100 ms
    Sniper 2 200 ms

They shoot at the same time.

Now my theory^^.

Sniper one fired 2 times.
    Sniper two do the same.

One single shot would kill the other.

The server get the 2 shots from sniper 1 but knows the sniper 2 and knows the ping rate of both...so the server wait for the other.

Then the server get the data of sniper 2 and then compare. Both fired 2 times BUT sniper 2 does it faster on his screen (situation). The server decide sniper 1 die and blocking the 2 shots from sniper 1 because a dead player can't shoot!

Sniper 1 see that he fired 2 times and get hit detection just because it happen for him...earlier. Than sniper 1 die and on his death screen he see, that he deal no damage at all.

In this situation the server give both players a fair chance for a 1vs1 (like if both have the same ping) and the winner is the one who just fired faster...on his screen. In that case the server compensate the ping difference.

Just a theory :). What do you think?
  13. Fenrisk

High ping does give a advantage vs low ping as it removes skill from the fight. When a fight is automatically based on the crappy connection of the enemy player you have lost all options to counter his gun play as everything you do is too slow to be effective as it's set to his connection speed. Your reacting to bullets and actions fractions of a second behind what is happening on their screen meaning you can die before you can react which is a complete load of BS. This makes a mockery of gun play and any kind of skill based combat.

Client side hit detection makes laggy players have a definitive advantage they shouldn't have as it removes skill, timing, twitch game play and a enemy players ability to avoid your attack. It should be your own problem if their connection is bad. Other players shouldn't suffer deaths because someone is still playing with a ping of 250+.

The above is why competitive PC FPS games auto-kick players with 150+ ping. They completely ruin competitive play for everyone else on that server. This is also why server side hit detection is used in competitive PC fps games.
    • Up x 1
  14. Posse

If it removes skill from the fight, then the advantage goes to the less skilled player, be it the high or the low ping player. And it's only a minor fraction of what decides the outcome of a fight anyway, if it was a major factor, my K/D would be close to 1, not above 6, lol.

Bad connection? Lol no, there's something called distance, not everyone has the luck to live in the Northern Hemisphere. Call me when you invent faster-than-light travel ;)

I have almost the lowest ping I can possibly have based on my distance to the closest server available (in other games I have 180 ping with US East servers though, not 200-220).

If you still think high ping is an advantage, go play on Briggs and see how you do.
    • Up x 2
  15. Tentakewls

Arnet ftw, ultimamente cuando llueve no me baja de 440 >.<
  16. Posse

Get Fibertel :p
  17. Botji

I kinda agree, game seems to be suffering from bad servers.

120-150 ping to eu servers from eu is crap(160-180 to US!), hit detection also seems off. If I borrow a term I know from CS, the tick rate seems to be low but still too high for the servers to handle.

In CS a server running high specs settings had very similar problems, ping times were way off because the server was trying to keep the game "updated" more than it could so everything lagged and the high ping showed it.. it just couldnt keep the clients up to date with what was happening ending with a terrible experience for all.

A high tick rate meant the server had to have some power but you gained a much higher precision in the game, shots went where they should and people seemed to be where they were, server kept everything "updated" often enough for a good experience.

A low tick rate was much easier on the server since the game wasnt "updated" as often but then you had people shooting you around corners and putting 30 shots into someone before they went down... sometimes you put a shotgun to someones head and Poff, nothing. Server ate your shot.

Server not able to handle the tick rate was the same as a low tick rate one.. only worse since you had latency lag too.

I feel much of that is fairly easy to say is happening in PS2 too, I see no other reason for getting almost 100 more ping than I should, people taking so many shots(higher ROF is even worse). I think it was PU1, like the first week after it was released the game actually worked as it should or nearly enough for me to notice. People simply died when I pointed a weapon at them, game was much more responsive than now.
  18. Tentakewls

Yes, because when you kill someone its all skill, but if you get killed it's an exploit.
    Maybe you should just face reality and realize that if you get killed by someone with higher latency you just got outskilled.
    • Up x 3
  19. TeknoBug

Ugh, they changed the ping method (I saw it in the notes) and now ALL servers says poor to me, even Connery. lol
  20. IamDH

100-200 Is my ideal range. Of course it gets higher than that but after 200 you start to feel it. I wouldn't call it "unplayable" but it takes effect after 200