[Suggestion] Cross platform play PS4-PC

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by mblades, Jan 13, 2014.

1. TodaysKiller

Gotcha, but still. It'd be nice to just run around with other family members and have fun without having to pull more money out of my *** to buy a PS4 lol :)

Maybe one day it will happen, or if sony and even microsoft weren't so strict on their updating process it just might. Maybe sometime in the future that'll be possible, keeping my fingers crossed!
  2. Minngarm

replace controllers with trackballs and it wouldnt be a problem. Course then most dedicated console players would find out how **** they are at gaming.
  3. skifton

Different companies have tried to find a way to do cross-platform play. It never works.

They were putting top professional console players against average-joe PC players, and the PC players were destroying them. It wasn't even funny how bad of a beating it was.

Microsoft scrapped the idea entirely and it will never happen, until console gamers somehow get keyboard-and-mouse controllers.
  4. Minngarm

in FPS/TPS* In TP/FPRPG it works. In fact the most successful cross platform game in history is also the most successful on a global scale MMORPG; FFXI
  5. DeadliestMoon

You PC guys have been saying this for the longest time but the only evidence you provide is one experiment from ten years ago on an out dated game. Plus, I highly doubt that these "companies" found the absolute best console players in the entire world and put them against the most average PC players.
  6. Silvermyst

My opinion is somewhere between the two. There is a difference in PC/console gaming but it's often not what players attribute it to be.

In many cases (but definitely not all cases) console gamers are "casual" gamers, who aren't very computer savvy and just play occasionally for fum or to relax after a long day in their "real" life.

PC gamers, on the other hand are traditionally fairly serious about their gaming and as such have a higher lever of experience, which naturally leads to a higher level of skill.

Now with Planetside 2, those occasionally accurate stereotypes can be thrown out the window. This is because Planetside 2 is free to play, and you have a lot of people who wouldn't normally bother with PC gaming trying it out. This is especially true in areas such as eastern Europe, which have the infrastructure and technology for high speed internet and PCs to be commonly available, but there isn't enough money around for the average person to buy expensive consoles with their $60+ games on top of their PCs which they use for communication and work.

To back this up, I saw a documentary about World of Tanks, and it claimed that something like 80% of Russians have tried the game, including most children and seniors. Also, half of PS2s servers are based in europe.

As such I don't think we're going to really be able to tell what skill differences there would be if Playstation and PC players of planetside 2 were playing together without actually seeing it.
  7. Majorpaynekills

I have friends that use controllers for planetside and play just fine with it. They actually destroy mouse and keyboard
  8. Majorpaynekills

Nope sorry my friend but i have friends that use controllers for PS2 and destroy mouse and keyboard with massive killstreaks
  9. Regpuppy

I'm totally ok if people are really intent on giving even average skilled PC players like me a crop of controller jockeys to farm.

[Seriously, there's a reason that games for consoles come with built-in aim assists. Because without it, controllers are actually shown to be a very bad medium to use when you need precision in FPS games. A console controller, without the usual aim-assist, is hopeless against a decent PC player.]

What I'm not ok with is the possible slowing/halting of development at a time where this game still needs a lot of features/mechanics to round it out.
  10. DeadliestMoon

You know, we have always been told that console players need aim assist and so its giving to them without much thought, but how will they get any better if they are contantly given a crutch to lean on?
  11. Regpuppy

It's less of a crutch and more of a bandage. Controllers are a horribly imprecise form of control for an FPS game. It's an inherent limitation in the controller itself, in regards to games that require the amount of precision needed for competitive FPS games. No amount of practice will fix this, because it is not user error.
  12. Lafladitu

Well I think that PS4 players should be able to choose the servers where their characters will be on so lets say that all the servers we have atm will allow PS4 players then have a few servers only for PS4 players, it will give them the choice to play with/against PC players or only PS4 players.

PS4 will have keyboard and mouse support so its not like it will be impossible to play against PC players, and I know there are some fairly good players with controllers that mops up most keyboard players, maybe not the elitists but most.
  13. starlinvf

The fact that aim assist is standard fare for console shooters proves this is still a problem. I've tried games that allow me to turn it off, and it makes a difficult control system down right impossible for twitch game play.

You'll 2 trends in console shooters I think is important from a design stand point..... third person view points and slower pacing. Modern Warfare works because its a cartoon version of a shooters.... all of its elements promote simplified or system assisted actions. No layers of thinking or complex objectives to get in the way of the 5 control actions.

Back to TPV and slow pacing. Slower Pacing = more time to aim. TPV allows for more awareness (important on the tunnel vision FoV of TVs and consoles). Without this, players could never see threats early enough, nor react fast enough if not for the aim assist helping center a shot.
  14. Mianera

This has probably been mentioned but here is the exact reason why it isn't going to happen.

THE PC MOUSE IS WAY BETTER FOR PRECISE AIMING AND GENERAL MOVEMENT THAN THE CONSOLE CONTROLLER AND THEREFORE GIVING PC USERS A HUGE ADVANTAGE IN ANY FPS GAME.
    To make a macabre example, if you have a laptop try playing Planetside 2 on it while only using the touch pad and see how that works. The real mouse is simply superior, so is the hardware in modern/new PC's in comparison to consoles.

If you want to game and play the best games, mod your game, be part of the largest communities, experience most out of your games, run them at high graphics, experience the biggest variety of games in any and every genre then you BUY A PC!
    ... I have no problem with kiddos that got their parents to sponsor them a console get to play for themselves. Good riddance.
  15. Degenatron

It's not just mouse and keyboard that would put the PC players ahead of the PS4 players, but you also have to consider the hardware restrictions of a platform like the PS4. They may end up with thing that are very different from us, for example shorter draw distances on vehicles, or a hard set distance fogging.

It would simply be unfair and unfun for the console players.
  16. Generico

It's not really about how controllers compare to a mouse or casual vs "serious" gamers. It's more likely that they scrapped cross-platform play because it means you have to keep both games in a matching state, and the process of pushing out updates on a console game is much more involved because of console manufacturer approval processes. Basically, if they wanted cross-platform play they would have to put an end to their weekly updates on the PC game.
  17. Iosef Stalin

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    i'd prefer this wasnt found out until AFTEr my K/D was positive.
  18. Wobberjockey

it can't, simply because of one very simple fact:

controllers have a center deadzone, and mice don't meaning that i can move over exactly one pixel over, then one pixel down and stop.
    on a controller i need to wait for the stick to return to center, and my rate of rotation is limited by the design of the gamepad, and the code put in the game. not so with a mouse.

and then let's not ignore that many 'gaming' mice have on the fly sensitivity. so i can , with the press of a button, go from 5000DPI down to 100, and then right back.

this has nothing to do with PC GAMER MASTER RACE, and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the technology just isn't the ideal tool.

i mean, you don't claim someone is a member of the hammer master race when they tell you that a hammer is better for a nail than the back end of a screw driver, do you?
  19. Thor04

Idea sounds good but difference between two systems is just to much PC will beat console in every single aspect.
  20. jp5a9852

I really want the PS4 players to be able to play with the PC players. The server pop on Mattherson is dreadfully low. I want there to be several large fights on every continent and I want populations to be more balanced. Adding the PS4 players would only fix the problems as far as I can see. I'm also assuming there is a 2000 player cap for each empire. If the server is full or close to full pops will be balanced mostly. Besides it's not like the PC players we already fight are going to disappear. They could instead merge the PC servers so that they at least get 4000 players on average, but I still think that the pop will eventually dwindle. I'm just tired of not being able to find GOOD fights.

As for the PC vs. Console skill discussion I not sure it would be such a huge change. There are really bad people playing with mouse and keyboard right now, myself included. When I was an xbox player there were really good and bad people in games also. Wouldn't the good people still be good as long as controller players still have auto aim? What about allowing mouse and keyboard support to the game? At the very least put up one server where there can be a large scale test as to whether M/K is really unfair against controller.

For the updates, I think that by the time the game comes out on PS4 we will have intercontinental lattice and the resource revamp. I see those two things as (hopefully) adding a reason to play. After those come out I would not care so much if updates didn't come so often.