Official Phoenix Launcher Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Bape

AV turret can 1 shot infantry? dumbfire rocket can 1 shot infantry? decimator can 1 shot infantry? AP rounds can 1 shot infantry? Pump shotgun can 1 shot infantry? HE direct hit can 1 shot infantry? Im not trying to bash you but if the phoenix get nerf to 2 hit infantry i will rage because i bought it the phoenix is balance and good at is it I really dont know what with the mass QQ about? Yeh maybe the damage and range we were promised are not implemented but im sure he will fix it but asking to reduce the damage against 1 infantry with only 1 round and a long reload? and increase the range im not an outfit player im sorry i like being lone wolf and i need things to keep me alive long.
  2. HadesR

No worries I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinion .. it's how discussion's happen :)

+ UBGL, C4, mines , Bolt action's .. Do we really need another infantry OHK weapon ?
  3. Bape

c4 u have to place it and takes risks and bolt action is only with head shot. Well any direct hit should be 1 shot but no splash damage should be 1 shot. Also another pump shotgun is coming out sooooo i think there will be many OHK weapons coming out sadly =/. I don't agree with 1 shot weapons but a rocket launcher direct hit? um yes that should be a one hit kill. Yes im defending this because i "Bought it" ill be dam to get something i like nerf for something to get buff for others to enjoy and let the other people who already enjoy it to rage and make QQ threads.
  4. Mxiter

Phoenix is nice but looks looking some improvement:

-50-100m more range (not more: 400m is lock-on limit) or dumb fire mode past 300-350m. (missile shouldn't disappear but lose at least 50% speed and get projectile drop)
    -Velocity increase(10-15%?): it shouldn't be so easy to hit infantries but must be easier to hit aircrafts!
    -Damage nerf against infantries (It's the one ESRL than can instakill infantry).
  5. Dusty Lens

For what it's worth an NC squad + was essentially farming Vanu archives from behind cover today on Waterson.

It was haunting. Like something out of a filth streaked torn journal fragment of a long dead soldier found tucked in a forgotten corner of your attic.

All you could hear was the whirring. The terrible, terrible whirring. Then, as one, without an explosion rendered or sounded, your friends would simply fall around you.
    • Up x 2
  6. Taylorstar

I think the Phoenix is the most fun thing that Planetside 2 has offered me as an NC player since the opening of beta or maybe the flash turbo.

The Damage for this weapon is perfect against all targests i really think the Dev's got it right here, ill explain why i feel this way.

Alot of people are complaining about the one hit kill on infantry, it has minimal splash damage/range and requires direct hits, direct hits in which are incredibly easy to dodge and much harder for the firer to adjust for people evading the rockets, its mobility more than adequeatly balances it out giving it an easy and free way to defend against it.

If your not aware of a big blue glowy missile heading towards you which can be shot down, and your unable to take 3 steps to the left to avoid it then its not the rockets fault, if you can't react to it you may aswell stand around and get one shotted by a sniper rifle, the reason it seems so common is its new, its fun and its flavour of the month at the moment.

The Range ok this is where one of the weaknesses lays in the phoenix, its range is 300 meters now the outfit im in tested this in mass numbers from Ti Alloys shooting at the crown, standing out in the open with litle cover we could get halfway through the tower if not to the other side, the bad angling meaning the vehicle bay was still safe, in order to get the shots off though we was exposed to snipers and while piloting the missile we are open season for snipers looking for a quick easy head shot, or air craft doing a bombing run, while remaining completely defenceless, getting a balance for the Phoenix is tricky. to close and you wont be able to stear it and it may aswell be a shrike. Alot of people wished it went just that little bit further some saying upto 50 meters more i personally think 5 - 10 meters more might make a difference with it edging it closer to being perfect.

The Speed now this is something i hardly see mentioned, The rocket flies incredibly fast and is punished by low mobility you have to make split second decisions and commit to them hoping you guessed where the target will dodge or is going to be, this is mostly evident with small target like infantry or mobile targets like aircraft, with air craft you have to aim infront of them and hope the missile meets up with the air craft, fighters, bombers and gals can all out run the Phoenix aswell as out maneuver the missile, it makes shooting them a challenge and very rewarding when you hit, though not as rewarding as say a decimator hit, but still satisfactory.

In order to dodge an oncoming missile all you have to do is hold D or A for half a second and you can easily sidestep the problem its minimal splash and high speed meaning that when it misses you, you arent going to suffer any harm.

Personally i really hope they keep the Phoenix as it is, its not so over powered has many drawbacks, but is just so much fun, it really brings alot of joy back into the game for me and alot of other NC players, even if the fun is far greater than the reward and you can only get one or two kills a minute it makes planetside one step closer to what games should be, fun.

I sincerely hope they keep the phoenix the way it is. i have yet to test the VS or the TR launchers but im sure they have their uses and strengths and can be worked around or adapted to the players playstyle
    • Up x 1
  7. Metaltoys

Turn radius and range killed it for me in a combat situation. Fun to play with in VR though. I hate buyers remorse
  8. Metaltoys

9. whitupiggu

Just wait till you start farming snipers at the crown with it. It's actually a better AI weapon than a AV weapon due to guiding it increasing the time it takes to reload after a shot.
  10. Badname0192

Shrike is better.
    • Up x 1
  11. Revanmug

Hi! It was a pleasure hunting infantry with my sunderer park behind the pillar! It was also a pleasure seeing TR log on low lvl NC to kill me and the few guy around.

In the end, I kind of hope they switch the AI power to range and AV power.
  12. 00Donkey

This is just my quick analysis of the phoenix,
    Today I was at TI-Alloys attempting to fight off The enclave and barely winning amazingly, as their quite a competitive outfit that i enjoy getting the chance to be able to shoot at every day... Anyways someone mentioned the phoenix had been implemented, so i decided to go ahead and do a weapon trial of it,... it took me about four rockets fired over and over to get the hang of the controls and then, realized firstly that the thing doesnt even have enough control or steam to get over the top of a building and back down the other side...
    But more importantly, from my point of origin at Ti-Alloys, (upstairs and outside of "A") i could NOT REACH ANYTHING AT THE CROWN, which is barely even considered a long-range sniper shot! i had to physically move myself down to the opening of the south-eastern bridge, (which meant putting myself out in the open in plain view of snipers which COMPLETELY DEFEATS THE LAUNCHERS PURPOSE!) In order to put myself within range to hit one of the Anti-Vehicle turrets at the crown, and yet those same turrets can spam all day and get kills on people past the vehicle-spawn at ti-alloys, i mean the distance is so short that snipers on BOTH SIDES of that Ravine will just LINE UP and shoot at eachother for HOURS ON END racking up kills, And yet this silly new rocket launcher didnt have enough steam to make it across But the TR and VS-New launchers seemed to have no problems with this goal? Sumthin a little bit fishy there
    i soon remembered that i have much better luck with my crow than this, and AFTER noticing how little damage i did per shot, i was like Wow! i just realized that the New launcher hits no harder than the "Annihilator" (Multi-Lock on) WHY ON EARTH WOULD I RISK MISSING WITH A CAMERA-CONTROLLED rocket when i can just peek over the hill or whatever obstacle and do the same damage and be GUARANTEED to get the shot if i use the Multi-Lock or better yet, oh wait i can do more damage from a further range with a Crow or a Hawk....
    i personally only see this rocket launcher as a VERY SITUATIONAL WEAPON, and NOTHING LIKE what it was intended to be (which was a "throwback to the Planetside1-launchers, but at least those were VIABLE OPTIONS from the regular launchers,) In all honesty guys, youre better off buying BOTH the Crow and the Hawk and GETTING MORE GUARANTEED KILLS than to use the phoenix unless something is done to at the VERY LEAST MATCH THE DAMAGE output to the VS's charge-launcher or the TR's Multi-
    Rocket weapons. Especially when Just a few posts above this, we've got the VS bragging how theirs charged to level-3 does AS MUCH DAMAGE AS OUR REGULAR single-role lock on launchers! it makes ZERO TACTICAL-SENSE TO USE THIS THING,
    On a more positive note,... i'm SURE the Dev's Already understand they have work to do to iron out bugs and things And yes im calling the usefullness of this launcher a "Bug" because ive seen the dev's here go LEAPS AND BOUNDS to make things fair across the board for all races, despite how we're not all "Cookie-Cutters" of eachothers weapon types, and more importantly, KUDOS ON THE SUPER NICE reload animation! In fact, i like watching the round beimg loaded into the Tube before firing, i WISH this werent the ONLY launcher in the NC's Arsenal to utilize such a clever reloading design-mechanic!
    Anyways, Thanks Devs and im sure you'll figure something out, But to be honest i wont be spending my hard earned cash, more specifically, seven american dollars, on a rocket launcher that doesnt do what the other two i already have can do!... Especially when the Vanu Can ALREADY utilyze their new Launcher to OUT DPS it!
    in fact any NC' unit i see trying it is basicaly doing the enemy a favor by lowering your potential effectiveness on the field! Again perhaps SOME SITUATIONAL use could be applied but those situations are so few and far-between that im SURE i can just "use a weapon-trial" whenever i want to use it for those rare moments....
    I promise that i WOULD buy it if it were balanced a little more, it almost makes me think that the Dev's were so worried that the other factions would complain about the NC being able to STEER A MISSILE that they might have felt the need to nerf it before it ever reached its potential... But the TRUTH IS, Lock on Launchers have TEN THOUSAND TIMES BETTER AIM than any camera-steered-missile EVER COULD!,...
  13. ThundaHawkPS

Slow down missile velocity + improve handling.
    +50-100m range.
    Add limited duration AFTERBURNER to the missile. When afterburner is active the Phoenix should screech like an eagle.
    Maybe make it not 1-shot infantry.

Fixed it for you.
    • Up x 1
  14. QuakerOatsMan

After trails in the VR, my opinion is that the phoenix is just a tad bit hard to control. However, given that you already have a target in the crosshairs, it works much more effectively than a lock-on weapon because you can still make minor angle adjustments for any movements that a vehicle makes to nail it. I think what many players were expecting was to be able to maneuver the missile around cover easily, because people can easily look to eg: the AV mana turret's maneuverability for comparison, which they shouldn't. Its high starting speed tends to make it more of a medium-long range weapon, although it can also be used for short range if a player simply fires at whatever is in the crosshairs. Overall, it feels much like a sidegrade (as most weapons should, also because it's a little difficult to maneuver, making other options such as regular lock-ons still viable), especially since a player still needs to aim at the target to effectively guide the missile for a hit.

One bug I've noticed is that it sometimes it simply dumbfires through the scope.
  15. 00Donkey

I DARE YOU to get HIP-FIRE KILLS IN THE FIELD... In Fact use that thing at the crown like i did,...and since their patching that hip fire nonsense supposedly right now anyways,(according to people on the server i havent checked notes yet) or so ive been told, your argument has no more ground to stand on, And when on earth did you fight an ESF that STOOD ABSOLUTELY STILL while you "hip fire" not just ONE but TWO ROCKETS at it!? tell yah what,.... next time i meet you on the field u go ahead and just stay still in your ESF for me.... kthnx! Not to mention, The VR Area is not the real game, its for new players and people who wanna see how much damage their weapons can do to a Battle-Rank1 Toon with ZERO SKILLS TRAINED... man now i feel dumb for even replying to someone who only does 5 minutes of homework before making a declaration...
  16. Erendil

All of the things you mentioned have huge obvious drawbacks. AV turrets take several seconds to setup. Deci's and dumbfire rockets are unguided and require you to actually aim your shot. Pump shotguns are OHK only at point blank range. HE direct hits require that you are in a vehicle.

Being able to OHK infantry with a guided rocket from behind 100% cover is beyond broken. TBH I'm stunned that the Devs would even consider putting something so ridiculous into the game. It's already being abused by NC.

I thought infils with shotguns would be the most idiotic thing they could come up with. I was wrong.
    • Up x 1
  17. Zerran

Played around with it in the VR, and think its handling is perfect. It's not a lock on launcher that you guide yourself, as many people seem to think it should be. It's also very clearly not designed for hitting ESFs. It can, however, maneuver enough to hit targets that are just outside your LoS. That is a HUGE advantage. Get a few people working together with these and you're going to make for some very unhappy VS/TR.
  18. 00Donkey

True true.....
  19. St0mpy

words fail me lol, you sound angry, calm down, chant with me, come on

...breathe in ....warmth ...joy ...happiness
    ...breathe out ....hate ...anger ...resentment
    ...in
    ...out
  20. 00Donkey

OMG I COMPLETELY AGREE! if i want to kill infantry i dumbfire my "hawk" or Crow" into their faces point-blank, i'd MUCH RATHER have the SATISFACTIOON of puttin pure digital-lead into their faces than any stupid rocket, in my opinion i would be PERFECTLY HAPPY if the rocket did ZERO DMG to infantry and was MORE FFECTIVe against ESF's who LOVE TO SPAM FLARES against my Hawk forcing me to waste ammo repeatedly, because people who fly "Often " lvl that Decoy-Flare to Max, And the ONE VEHICLE i WAS ABLE TO KILL was a Liberator pilot who was dumb enough to have no gunner and attempt to use his liberator as a mobile gun platform via the anti tank gun, And the steering angles were SO SLOW that a SUPER SLOW liberator decended as fast as he could and I BARELY KILLED HIM BY TAPPING THE VERY TIP of his tail at the last second!... If a LIBERATOR CAN OUTMANUEVER A PHOENIX ROCKET....youve got an issue in the game!