Official Lancer Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Mar 22, 2013.

1. WetPatch

So a few visuals are broken, its not going to change the core of this weapon.

The Striker locks on from roughly 480 meters, the Lancer has no zoom, its going to be stupid hard to hit anything beyond 200 if it has no zoom, and next to impossable if its moving and the Phoenix has a life span of 300 meters so good luck with that.
  2. bodmans

youre saying 2.3 shots is good?
    when using the default(S1) you nearly kill a full Hp MAX. just pop youre sidearm to finish him
    i dont want to hold the charge as long as i want. i just dont want to have it fire the moment its fully charged, maybe a 2 second buffer.
    • Up x 1
  3. Barosar

The thought had crossed my mind as well. It is so gimped that it couldn't possibly be as intended. There must have been some kind of mistake.
  4. Rown

Probably already mentioned, but I noticed something when sniping very far away turrets: the lancer kicks up slightly when firing, as if it had a bit of recoil from apevious, nonexistent shot. This makes the shots go a notch over the point you were aiming at, so you have to compensate by aiming a bit lower.

The amount of time you can keep the third sharge is a bit short, and the charge mechanism makes sniping distant or moving targets (the weapon's intended role) difficult and risky. Not fully charged shots are so weak that they're a waste of time. Probably my perception of it will change as I get more skilled with the Lancer, but for the moment it feels a bit "meh"
  5. tdawgz

Lancer damage to infantry sucks. 50% to infantry regardless of what charge you are on and distance to the enemy. Also the ammo indicator is missing on the rocket launcher (it should tell you how much ammo you have left before you reload). Or at least that's what it had on Higby's showcase video of the Lancer.
  6. treeHamster

I noticed this as well that there is recoil BEFORE the shot leaves the gun, another bug I assume or they've figured out how to cause explosive recoil before the explosion happens (time travel?).

I also have been getting 1 shot by Phoenix's so they will 1 shot Infantry on direct hits and yet we can barely get 500 damage to infantry IF we can land all 3 shots (not likely outside of 5, MAYBE 10 meters).
  7. gigastar

First off, in the time it takes us to wring the maximum damage potential from our Lancers you could fire off at least 2 Pheonixes.

Second, we might have no warning, but are we able to do this?

(Firing over the hill, not guiding rockets into some poor shmucks face.)
    • Up x 1
  8. Xae

It is a pale imitation of a great weapon.

I don't mind the Charge-up mechanic, it is kind of neat and adds some unique flavor that VS badly needs. The projectile speed and range is disappointing. Given the projectile speed and the lack of damage I would never take a Lancer over the S1 or Annihilator.
  9. Fed

Sounds like what the engi AV turret does.
  10. Ronin Oni

?

That doesn't suck... so just don't charge up vs infantry then and 2 shot em with a couple quick snipe shots!

I'm gonna have to hit the VR to try that out now.

Anyways, It's getting it's CoF/Acc issues fixed in a hotfix to go out probably tonight.... hang in there guys
  11. Dramonicous

First off, fix the problems with Lancer meaning:
    Swapping between hip and ADS while charging.
    Make it a SINGLE projectile (beam?) on every charge level.
    Make ADS accuracy perfect.
    Make hipfire atleast twice as much accurate.

Finally I would like to suggest that the Lancer doesnt require reloads, it should have direct access to all 24 shots.

//

The TR Striker is a OP version of the Anni, and the current Lancer is weaker than Anni and giving Lancer the above buff would level the playing field.
    The Phoenix is also weaker than Striker and Anni, to sort this I would let the projectile be alot slower, turn faster and travel longer. This so you can actually fire it from cover as was intended. You wont be able to chase ESFs with the rocket but it will be hard to miss them when they are flying towards your location or hovering above it.

PS.
    On a freak shot in the VR I aimed directly at a ATV about 70m away, all 3 projectiles went in a perfect triangle (as far apart as possible) and all missed the ATV, no damage.
  12. treeHamster

Except the engie AV turret is guided which means even IF the recoil happens BEFORE you shoot, you can adjust it post launch. The Lancer's should happen AFTER you shoot which means there shouldn't be any drift for the laser, which there is.
  13. JohnnyBftw

I was so hyped about the Lancer i was almost ready to buy it.
    Thank god i tried it in VR and got my first dissapointment.
    Afterwards I even trialed the weapon in a real fight and got even more.

Awesome design and concept but very bad implementation.
    Its a single tube rocker launcher. How on earth you made it spit THREE orbs(!) when fully charged?
    Could you not have made it different colour laser bolts for each level of charge instead?
    The damage feels low for all the charging up and it misses doing full damage a lot when trying to hit something past mid range.

Where is the scope in/out ability while charging the weapon that Higby demonstrated in his video???
    I am really not spending any rl cash on this weapon until its sorted.
  14. Bape

Fully charged lancer should 1 shot infantry.
    • Up x 2
  15. Alpharius111

Seems like the lancer is an anihilator sidegrade. You need 3 charged shots to kill an esf, similar to 3 lockons on esf, which can, ofc, be countered by flares, but you can hit an esf moving on full speed with anihilator, as oposed to ability to hit an esf that hovers in one place\flies in line with lancer, with possibility to miss 3 to 1 orbs. Against mbt's, sundies and lightnings, it seems somewhat superior to anihilator, if the target has ir smoke\stealth'etc, and inferior otherwise.

Conclusion: it is the same utter garbage as anihilator, unless you are planning on having your entire squad fire on the same target with it, in which case it is still same old anihilator v1.0a.
  16. LabRatTy

I adore the lancer. It's like an annihilator that does hades / nemesis damage (slightly less at longer ranges), except it ignores flares and gives no warning, and is the best against maxes at range (just concussion grenade + lmg for shorter ranges).

The charge-up time is essentially duplicate to lock-on time + projectile flight time of other launchers, except it gives no warnings and you can also rapid-fire level 1 shots, which is fantastic for quickly finishing off low-health vehicles & maxes. Or fighting at closer ranges. Or sneaking in extra damage before a vehicle can take cover or protect its weak point. This in particular makes the Lancer a versatile weapon.

And best of all, it's a skill-shot weapon which is just more fun than lock-on. It's got 750 m/s projectile speed, which is insanely awesome, and realistic for hitting aircraft. If you can hit with LMG, you can more easily hit with the Lancer. Thanks to Flak armor & Heavy's shield, I expect to win "duels" with most ESFs pretty easily.

I expect skilled players will understand that it's essentially a straight upgrade to all of our lock-on weapons, leaving only the Decimator with situational advantages. I also expect that SOE will fix the hip-firing issues within the week.
  17. Nomad1

To the people who say wait and see when the lancer is fired together, that is ********. Why? well the striker and the phoenix will be extra powerful when fired together and they don't have to be they are good on their own. I trailed it it is very hard to hit an esf and not as they claim, the velocity might be good vs ground but really bad vs air.
    • Up x 2
  18. Mobius942

So i did some testing in the VR today and found out some stuff about the lancer that might be helpfull.

1. The charge up mechanic does not increase the overall damage of each projectile. All charge-up does is let you fire 3 rounds at once, but it takes 5 seconds to fully charge and fire, while firing each of the 3 shots individually (which will do the same damage) takes only about 3 seconds.

2. The lancer has damage degradation while firing at a distance. The further you are from your target, the less damage you will do. firing at a mossie in the VR at point blank range, it took 2 full magazines and 2 additional rounds to kill the mossie. From a long distance it took 3 full magazines.

3. The lance is not 100% accurate, it has a tight spread, but a spread nonetheless. Also when firing the charged up mode, it fires 3 rounds at once in a triangle pattern, which can cause a much more significant spread at a distance and cause some of the projectiles to miss. EDIT: The 3 projectile thing is apparently just a FX bug and it really only fires 1...knowing which projectile is the real one is still an issue untill this is fixed.

My suggestions on how to improve the lancer would to be to basically fix all these issues. Make the charge-up increase the overall damage of each projectile, also change it so it only fires 1 beefed up projectile for the cost of 3 ammunition, because it actually takes longer the fire the charge-up round over firing each shot individually, it should do more damage. Remove the damage degradation and either tighten up the spread or remove it entirely, lancer is supposed to the a anti-vehilce sniper of sorts so it should be desirable to use at a distance, and damage degradation and inaccuracy actually make it less useful than the lock-on rocket launchers.
  19. Nomad1

When ADS with the lancer, the accuracy seems random. I keep targeting the same spot but the rocket goes in random directions it is very obvious.
  20. SilentSalvo

All I can say is thank goodness for VR training. This was a straight up bait and switch.