Official Lancer Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Fulmir

Seems very much like a squad oriented weapon like the existing lock-on launchers rather than a solo weapon. Solo you're somewhat unlikely to get a kill on an MBT or ESF but with a squad of these things you could probably nail a Galaxy with little to no warning let alone anything else that flies or drives. Seems like you'd need 6-7 to kill anything but a Blockade Armored Sunderer in one volley.

A note on the damage for people, it's the same as the Air and Ground only lock-on launchers at 1500, vs 1700 for the default dumbfire launcher.

Also the rheticle blur only looks like three projectiles, probably a bug. The thing only fires one while fully charged.
  2. gigastar

You ignore that the full charge only uses 3 shots, not the full 6.
  3. Thurwell

When you look at how different this weapon is from the version shown just 2 days ago by Higby, missing animations, missing functionality, laughable accuracy, etc, it makes you wonder if they accidentally put some beta version of the weapon in game.
    • Up x 4
  4. Ayre

Damage is okay, maybe a little low for how long the charge is. I saw Higby charging from the hip and going to ADS, so I think its a bug that this is impossible in game.

Honestly my biggest issue is that the magnification of the scope is *tiny* for how long range the weapon is.
  5. treeHamster

This is what I've been thinking for the past several hours but we need a word from the devs.
  6. Gruntilda

>tried the lancer in VR
    >fully charged headshots only drop infantry shields, 2.5 full charges against air, but that's to be expected
    >2 hits maxes on full charge
    >nice, too bad that means a minimum of 8 seconds TTK and vulnerability as you do so, compared to the dumbfire's 4.5 s TTK
    >CANT KILL ANY MBT FROM 2 REAR SHOTS, takes 3
    >takes 8 hits to drop a lib. 8 FULL CHARGES. That's 32 seconds plus 3 reloads of TTK.
    >didn't even bother with trying to kill a gal and the uncharged shots are nothing
    >battery doesn't spin, ammo counter doesn't work, can't switch between hipfire and ADS on charge, charging mechanic breaks and eats 3 ammo and 4 seconds for a noncharged shot, ADS CoF

why? They took an awesome concept and clipped its wings to the point of not being worth using almost ever. Honestly, I'd rather avoid engaging a vehicle at 100m out with the standard launcher as it's futile. This gun was supposed to change that. Instead, its piddly damage and revealing projectile means that I'd be even more hesitant to engage because it makes me far more vulnerable during the charge and points to me as I do so.
    >try the phoenix
    Works, and does nice damage, but isn't much good with its low ammo and handling. Too bad it's not much of anything and some people have glitches with it.
    >try the striker
    >it's an annihilator but better at everything
    >more damage
    >RoF much faster than what higby showed
    >fast as hell reload
    A straight upgrade. Wow.

All in all, a wonderful showing of SOE quality
  7. Thurwell

Apparently if you look at higgle's twitter feed this really is the case, the lancer is borked and is getting hotfixed soon.
  8. gigastar

Link please? Cant seem to find it.
  9. Neurotoxin

I like the concept of the Lancer, but I agree that it has range and accuracy woes that make it less appealing to use. It also is unreasonably weak against infantry and vehicles when compared to standard launchers.

The Lancer should probably be more accurate with each charge level, not seemingly less accurate! It needs to fire precisely where the scoped-in crosshair is looking if the user is completely stationary at the highest charge level. I understand not wanting a HA anti-infantry sniper rifle, but it does need pinpoint accuracy to fulfill the role as an accurate anti-vehicle weapon. Remember that players are on a time limit when they begin charging, and it takes a couple seconds before maximum damage can even be achieved, so taking the time to stop and line up is way more crucial and required for a HA with a Lancer than a HA with any other weapon. Everything else I can run out with, fire at my target, then get behind cover, and I trade accuracy for the ability to get behind cover quicker and not having to time up my shots with a charge-up. Projectiles travel fast, but still too slow and inaccurate to support using the Lancer for taking down ESF in motion or at a reasonable engagement distance.

Range concerns are a big deal too. I need the Lancer to help me fire back at Liberators and ESF who are bombing from beyond the locking range of lock-on weapons (and lock on weapons probably need a range boost too). I couldn't make contact on a stationary Galaxy at 550 meters away, meanwhile the Dalton can fire from over 600 and deal full damage. As optimizations improve and we can see each there from further away, the frequency of being bombarded from outside of HA AV range is a growing problem, one that can't be resolved by increasing or decreasing damage relations between infantry and aircraft. This is almost a separate issue, but if the range of other HA AV weapons means that the Lancer has to have shorter range, then HA AV weapons probably need to have their limited ranges resolved.

Damage is a big issue for me, as well. One fully-charged 3-shot should be at least as powerful as an S1 shot, on both infantry and vehicles. The time it takes to charge to level 3 and fire twice, reload once, charge to 2 and fire again, takes longer and requires more focus than popping out and firing an S1 two times, and the increased chance to hit with a Lancer due to the projectile speed is not a reasonable tradeoff. If the reload time on the Lancer has to be increase a bit to compensate for increasing the damage, that is just fine.

Accuracy degrades with charging instead of improving due to slight cone of fire, reducing the ability to hit targets of all types over increased distances, and the effect is amplified when trying to hit infantry with a fully charged shot. If accuracy wasn't an issue, range would still be, as the weapon (like all HA AV) cannot reach enemies bombarding an area from their max range. If these weren't issues, the damage output (especially at the maximum charge level) is still too low compared to all other HA AV weapons.

I like the concept of the Lancer, but I'm disappointed to see that it is in most ways less worthwhile for me to use than carrying a Nemesis around everywhere. I'll take the ability to pop out from cover exactly when I want in order to fire on tanks, to drop tanks in no more than two blasts when I am attacking from behind, to harm MAX and infantry with a direct hit (especially if I'm ambushed on AV duty), to reasonably hit enemy aircraft in motion, and the ability to scare air without firing by simply locking on them. I'll take that over the need to time my exit from cover in order to maximize my damage, needing to charge up three times with a reload in the middle just to drop a tank with rear shots, being caught with a weapon that doesn't kill infantry when ambushed in close ranges, and difficulty hitting moving aircraft (particularly ESF).
  10. BalogDerStout

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, but I didn't see anything in the last 24 hrs about this on his feed.
  11. Kookamunga

12. Navoletti

I HAVE A IDEA ADD LOOCK ON WITH THIS WEAPON.
  13. Vastly

I've reviewed the video from start to finish and not once did he hold a charged shot. What he did do was start charging behind cover and then step out *before* it had fully charged.

This is true.
  14. TheUprising

NC, we got the pheonix which sux, and you guys just got an upgraded version of a pheonix, a rocket launcher that can destroy ppl without warning, and yall are whining about it! Unbelievable. The lancer has FAR longer range than the pheonix, and takes about the same amount of shots relative to clip size to kill something too.
  15. Kookamunga

LOL , you do not even know what your talking about , no go play with your UAV and start telling everybody where that sunderer is hiding.
  16. bodmans

ok, i read a few of the posts before this and tested it in VR...

basicly i prefer the S1 over the Lancer now, because in the time you take to charge and fire the entire clip, youre already reloading for your third with the S1. i initially thought the full charge would be more powerfull that the S1. ofcourse they didnt do that, instead they gave us a sh*tty handheld saron, which i guess only a very small minority of trolls ever mentioned in the forums.

id say :

- no more hitscan-ish speeds, but still fast
    - first and second charge under S1, third over(damage wise)
    - fix the restraint of not being able to ADS when charging, higby did it in his vid, why has it been changed?
    - fix the trail, now you got a bright white arrow pointing towards your head for 5 seconds, even worse when you decided to fire 6 single charges
  17. TheUprising

I've given you facts, you religious vanu would have nothing of that though. It seems you guys won't be happy with your sniper rocket launcher until it is legitly op.
  18. Ash87

Lancer Review

Tried this one out for a little bit. I liked it.

The damage was less, but it can 2.3 shot a max, which means in groups it could be devestating. Fast projectile speed was correct.

It needs 3 things though:
    1.) You should be able to hold the charge as long as you want, and maybe even cancel it.
    2.) You need a better zoom
    3.) It needs to be able to go from hip to sight seemlessly as advertised in the demo.
  19. Thurwell

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/315195125296939008

If I just look at @mhigby from I don't see it, but the twitter feed on the forums shows more stuff. So there's an example. He also talks about how the 3 ball shotgun effect isn't supposed to be there. No word on the damage but I don't expect there to be any, if the lancer is as accurate as it's supposed to be the damage has to be low.

He also says the shot counter was buggy and removed. Hopefully it's coming back. Personally I'd like it if they put that on all the weapons, get away from the artificial HUD. Obviously I don't think that will ever happen.
  20. BalogDerStout

Thanks. I expect it will still be largely worthless against air, even after the changes but it may have some utility against vehicles at least.