SOE plans to monetize KDR.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuzzCutPsycho, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreePi

A fool and his money are soon parted. If someone wants to throw their money away for something so irrelevant, then let them.
  2. NoctD

Score is quite meaningless really - since it is influenced by those that have subscriptions/boosters, the score/minute metric is far more worthless than K/D ratio... it doesn't tell you anything at all about how good or bad someone really is.

Risk management is a good thing if you ask me... and K/D ratio promotes proper risk management vs. foolishly rushing dozens endlessly. Strategy and tactics that results in less friendly losses and the maximum damage to the enemy should be rewarded too, not brute force attacks with sheer numbers (sorry Buzz, we all know how you run TE).

I'd surmise that K/D ratio is an inconvenience since it gets in the way of people responding to some of the orders you're trying to issue.
    • Up x 8
  3. Hosp

Another Truth. Funny how the stuff he knows will probably get shot down anyway, he jumps in front of and suddenly speaks for the community.

It'd be hilarious if they went through with it.
    • Up x 2
  4. DanMan3395

/signed,

Being able to wipe KDR does nothing but completely invalidate it's already small amount of relevance.
  5. Riftmaker

That's why they are planning to separate score from experience. What will you say then ? K/D is the most useless stat in this game and it promotes the wrong kind of behavior. Spawn camping isn't fun and it doesn't give as much xp as it did but if you don't have 1337 k/d then you're a n00b and not MLG enough.
  6. Sephuku

Monetizing KDR? Hue.
    Also the current score is affected by boosters, so they are both worthless.
  7. dough

Precisely. Buzz is looking at it selfishly from his own point of view.. not looking at overall survival of the game and the likely playerbase. Its all well and good to want a game that focuses on what you like.. we all want what we want.. but there are certain realities at play in the FPS game world that simply can't be ignored if you want to make money. BF3 and CoD are successful for very specific reasons. SOE (from my perspective) is trying to carve out a niche that is halfway between BF3 and pure tactical shooter... To this I wish them success.. since I like their game so much. But I'm not kidding myself about my fellow players, some who just don't think team and value K/D above all else. Go play BF3/CoD and you are rubbing elbows with those folks all the time, since they seem to outnumber the team oriented folks by at least 2 orders of magnitude. (and note I LIKE BF3.. I just don't expect a deep team experience when playing it).
  8. Hosp

You realize you just agreed with me?
  9. Cyridius

One question;

What game are we playing?

PlanetSide 2.

Not Battlefield. Not COD. PlanetSide.

PlanetSide is a team based game focused on attained objectives and in the process dying alot of times to do it.

PlanetSide is not a free for all deathmatch focused on getting as much kills as possible.

Which does it feel like when you play? The latter. Because K/D is right up in your face. All the time. Every second. You Tab up to check your score, you look at K/D first.

Why? It's the only reliable metric to tell your so-called "skill" from. There is nothing else emphasized, there is nothing even remotely important. SPM is meaningless because of Boosts and they don't even display that when you Tab. People are going to do what they can to make themselves look more "skillfull", and because the only metric is K/D people are not going to take risks.

You don't understand playerbases, especially those from COD or BF3. BF3 has made the same mistake. They sacrificed integral gameplay elements from previous versions, along with things like map design, so they could attract the COD crowd. It worked, then the COD crowd moved on to the next Call of Duty.

If SOE keeps along this path, the second Novemeber hits this game is gonna be too small to populate 2 servers.
    • Up x 3
  10. TrenchDigger

If people want to reset their KDR, then let them. If you take away deaths then people will find the next stat to covet. Not going to solve the problem of people who play for KDR.

Also Buzz you should take some of your own advice. From my experience on Mattherson all the TE seems to do is setup up for the farm. You do not seem to care when the enemy is warpgating the TR night after night. Protecting a non strategic bio lab that has been cutoff for hours seems to be more important.
    • Up x 2
  11. DemoniWaari

I don't see this as a bad thing. Yes it's pretty irrelevant stat, but now that you can reset it and just farm kdr it becomes even more irrelevant! After this when you see someone with good kdr you just shrug and think "meh probably just resetted his stats and lolpodded for a few days".

If you are someone who likes to have a high kdr, at the moment the only way to rise that is to play passively for a long time because you already have craptons of kills and deaths.
    After this if you want to have a high kdr you can just reset it and then you can play passively for much shorter period of time because you don't already have that massive death / kill count.
    Of course this does not take into account the fact that if you already have lots of kills and deaths you might not try to get higher kdr because it would take too long.
    I think this is quite logical?
  12. xNPCx

Of all the things to complain about, this is the bandwagon you choose? For the people who are worried about their K/D let them, it's their choice, and if they want to spend money to reset an arbitrary number, then by all means who cares. By your own definition it is a useless number anyway. So why are you putting so much thought into it?
    • Up x 1
  13. Garantine

Pure comedy. Just hilarious that they've caught so many people firmly by the cheek that they have actually concluded this to be a profitable endeavor.

The developing crew is purely motivated by the urge to create more streams of revenue for SOE. That is all that motivates the "free to pay" market. The few people (like the quoted indvidual) that actually believe their money is being put towards improving the game experience and not towards researching and implementing new pathways to your wallet are absolutely foolish and naive.

This game really hasn't improved much or even changed much since launch, and every other week they are thinking up a new way to charge people, new guns on a two week basis, new "limited time" XP boosts, balance changes implemented solely to increase sales (see tank nerfs and vehicle kill XP boost coinciding with launch of new rockets) and now a consumable K/D wipe?

"They" aren't funding the game for you to play, "they" are funding the game for SOE to create new methods to get at your money, and obviously you've already bit on the lure, I'd be willing to bet that your "key $c purchases" would have bought you a few AAA titles at MSRP, yet you've spent it on this sub-par free to pay game. You're less sly than you believe, and SOE knows that.
  14. BalogDerStout

Seriously, how many people actually look up anyone's K/D ratio other than their own? No one cares.

If SOE wants to make money off people who are hung up on K/D, I say, more power to them.
  15. GroundPounder

Note to SOE: If you wish to make money off K/D, sell an aimbot program, problem solved! You make the benjamins, players get to cheat, and K/D rules the game!
    • Up x 2
  16. ThundaHawkPS

K/D means nothing for infantry that can spawn every 5-7 seconds. It doesn't matter if they die a hundred times as long as they cap the objective/kill the AMS/etc.

More than once I've seen 20+ infantry cowering in a spawn shack covered by 2-3 vehicles while 10 or so enemy infantry sit around their Capture Point, slowing capping it. Sometimes I just want to TK every single guy that has spent more than 30 seconds firing from behind the spawn shield (dumb mechanic, btw).

Too many cowards on Auraxis, across all factions and all servers.

If you're going to track K/D for anything at all, it'd have to be vehicles independently. And, if it were any good that stat would track spawn kills + weighted vehicle kills by type with libs/MBT/AMS being the most valuable.

17. Tharrak

It's a double edged sword. Sure the team/SOE could need the money, and sure it is up to the end user. But will that fund even more strangeness? For this is in some ethical gray area, if there ever was one.

If this kind of tracking/display is problematic, that makes any profit made from it problematic as well. In that it was caused by a miscalculation by the reactions involved, so the system is not attuned to the need of the user, and thus the fault lies not only with the user, but also the system. So basically the system profit on its own weakness...

---
  18. Hosp

Like I said, he's just trying to re-establish himself as a trusted community member. Every time something that can get him alot of agreement crops up, he'll get in front of it and lead the charge...kinda like Jesse Jackson. :eek:
    • Up x 4
  19. Naterian

If you think there is nothing wrong with this then you are precisely what's wrong with gaming. Allowing companies to get away with money grabs. It doesn't matter what your OPINION is and how much YOU value KDR. You are one person in a Massive Multiplayer FPS.

Whether or not you think KDR is valuable there are tons of people who do and those lott of people will play accordingly to increase their KDR. This encourages behavior like living in a liberator or sitting outside a spawn room with an HE cannon. It also doesn't matter if you think people are stupid for buying it and you're only letting them waste their own money. NO. The fact is SOE is still receiving money for something they shouldn't.

If this is successful it would only encourage SOE to implement more money schemes down the road...schemes you might not like.

Stop thinking about yourselves for one moment and think about the overall health of the game. You want to promote good behavior (KDR does not) and you don't want SOE rewarded for bad behavior (Paid KDR reset).
    • Up x 4
  20. Gustavo M

...but this Is a Free-to-play game. One can make as much accounts as he desire, including several alts until a "perfect alt with perfect KDR" pops In.
    So this will change only the less accounts and alts In order to emphatize a "skilled KDR". So implement this and let SOE gain money over those poor fellas.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.