Obesrvations regarding FPS drops from GU02

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Wobberjockey, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Reithan

Code:
    [Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    RenderQuality=1.000000
    Mode=WindowedFullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Windowed

[Rendering]
    OverallQuality=-1
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=0
    LightingQuality=5
    ParticleQuality=0
    EffectsQuality=5
    TerrainQuality=0
    FloraQuality=0
    ModelQuality=0
    ShadowLOD=0
    ParticleLOD=0
    EffectsLOD=0
    TerrainLOD=0
    FloraLOD=0
    FloralLOD=0
    ModelLOD=0
    RenderDistance=-1
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    Gamma=-0.500000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=1
    VSync=0
    MotionBlur=0
    AO=0
    GpuPhysics=0
    MinimapMode=1
    VerticalFOV=60

[Controls]
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1

[Sound]
    Master=1.000000
    Music=0.000000
    Game=0.850000
    Dialog=1.000000
    UI=1.000000
    UseFloat32Output=1
    SampleRate=44100
    MaxVoices=77
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=1
    OutputDeviceName=Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)

[ImageCapture]
    OutputFilePrefix=screenshot.jpg

[VideoCapture]
    Resolution=2
    Quality=100
    OutputFile=VideoCaptureOutput.avi

[VideoStreamer]
    Resolution=1
    Fps=30
    Kbps=0
    MicRecordVolume=0.000000
    SpeakerRecordVolume=1.000000
    Username=

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=Off

[AutoRefuse]
    FriendInvitation=0
    DuelInvitation=0
    GuildInvitation=0
    HideUi=1
    TradeRequest=0
    HousingInvitation=0
    GroupInvitation=0

[General]
    AutoDetectPerformanceSettings=0
    MouseSensitivity=0.100000
    VehicleMouseSensitivity=0.100000
    FlightMouseSensitivity=0.150000
    ScopedMouseSensitivity=0.050000
    Profanity=0

[Video]
    VideoCapturePrefix=PS2Video

[VoiceChat]
    EchoEnabled=1
    EchoVolume=1.000000
    ProximityEnabled=1
    ProximityVolume=1.000000
    FactionEnabled=1
    FactionVolume=1.000000
    GroupEnabled=1
    GroupVolume=1.000000
    GroupLeaderEnabled=1
    GroupLeaderVolume=1.000000
    RaidEnabled=1
    RaidVolume=1.000000
    GuildEnabled=1
    GuildVolume=1.000000
    CustomEnabled=1
    CustomVolume=1.000000
    InputDevice=Headset Microphone (3- Logitech
    OutputDevice=Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)

[Voice]
    ReceiveVolume=50.000000
    MicrophoneVolume=50.000000
    Ducking=0.750000

[UI]
    HudTintMode=2
    HudTintColorVS=16711934
    HudTintColorNC=255
    HudTintColorTR=16711680
    OutfitShowOfflineMembers=0
    MapZoomLevel=4
    MapPositionX=-182.3593651796831
    MapPositionY=176.2690920183525
    ShowMapTutorial=0
    MapCenterOnPlayer=0
    MapStatisticsView=1
    MapFilterShowSquad=1
    MapFilterShowMissions=1
    This is my UserOptions.ini file and I'm now getting 60-80 fps outside a battle, 30-60 in a battle depending on size and almost no stutter so far.
  2. sharpT

I can't believe SOE's internal testing didn't catch this performance degradation. I noticed it the right away when I started to play after GU2. At warp gate, everything seems to fine, but once I get in a tank and drive forward where a big fight is, I would notice my FPS drops to 10+ from 60+. I have the top of line video card GFX 680, and 4.8 GHZ core i7 CPU. The game is almost unplayable when that happens.

Not so often I had low FPS problem before due to my pc although when I did have performance issues, sympton was a different one like game was flashing and rendering was messed up. Now it's stutter.
  3. Darkfire255

Just had a quick run and die session at the crown, my overall average FPS seems to be slightly higher 30-40 ( it was 25-35 before) but the random fps drops and stutter make it impossible to do anything.

I have noticed it happens when aiming down sights and quickly looking around from one direction to another.
  4. hav0c

I got exactly same issue. Usually heavy stutter when there are a lot of vehicles
  5. Laurentiuss

fps normally 30-60 (seems a little bit better than before patch for me)
    then the stuttering is coming mostly in battles, but not necessarily the big ones: drops to approx 10 fps but only for a few milliseconds, jumps up again to 30-60 and down again. this repeats approx every half second. Enough time to kill one guy ^^

The stuttering seems worse in vehicles, and it SEEMS to me it depends on the view direction: in driving direction its real bad (for example as a gunner in a sunderer), while perpendicular to the driving direction the stuttering gets less/disappears.

Win7 64 bit
    12 GB Ram
    ATI Radeon HD5770
    i3 pentium
  6. Timeraider

For some reason PS2's system performs checks on vehicles/players with unlimited range into the direction your looking.. and it keeps performing checks untill you look the other way. Also turning of the HUD seems to stop the checks and regain the fps meaning its a problem with the system checking all players/vehicles in a direction and then tries to identify them as either enemy or friendly before placing a red arrow/name above their head. Which does not happen while HUD is disabled.
    • Up x 2
  7. AlasPoorJoric

I've got an E6550, 4GB RAM and a Radeon HD4870.
    After the patch there is less FPS drop in some areas, most noticeably the AMP stations, but the stuttering effect completely kills the game. FPS drop from 35 to single digits in certain cases, and at regular short (like ever second or so) intervals. The surging effect feels like network lag, in that it's not just frame loss but the distance travelled seems to surge as well. Most noticeable for me when climbing up the hill towards the Crown from the south side (I think it's the south, opposite side to Ceres farms).
  8. Toxicmix1

No problem here

In huge battles i have a minimum of 50-60 fps. My GPU is allways the botleneck. In any condition

HAF 912 plus
    i5 3570k at 4.8ghz
    Asus maximus v gene
    Thermalright HR 02 macho
    Artic silver 5
    8gb gskill ram running at 2200mhz....9 10 9 27
    Msi gtx 560 ti 448 running at 950 core and 2200 memory
    Sandisk extreme 240gb SSD
    Corsair HX 650w

Im running the game Max out at 1080p. Ultra in user file
  9. koduu

I have ecountered most of the mentioned problems, but there is one situation in addition. Every time i get into a galaxy as a gunner (havent tried other roles) (twice so far) it goes into full slideshow mode and after about half a minute i get transported back to where i got on to the galaxy, as if i hadnt even entered the vehicle. At first i thougth that the server had rolled back or something.
  10. WhineNoMore

Props on the hard work, and as someone who works as a prat-time coder, I feel your pain.
    However, this might be the WORST major patch I've seen in my gaming life.
    At least I do expect better from such a great game.
    Keep it up and hopefully everything will get better as days go by.

I was running @ 20 FPS, and now its unplayable. Good thing is, this might make me go buy a new card.
  11. Sprintfox

Code:
    [Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.000000
    FullscreenWidth=1360
    FullscreenHeight=768
    WindowedWidth=1360
    WindowedHeight=768
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=1
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=400
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=200
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=0
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=0
    FloraQuality=0
    ModelQuality=1
    VerticalFOV=75
    ParticleLOD=0
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VSync=0
    AO=0

[Controls]
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1

[Sound]
    Master=1.000000
    Music=1.000000
    Game=1.000000
    Dialog=1.000000
    UI=1.000000
    UseFloat32Output=0
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=1

[ImageCapture]
    OutputFolder=C:\Users\Sprintfox_DW\Pictures\Planetside2
    OutputFilePrefix=screenshot.jpg

[VideoCapture]
    Resolution=2
    Quality=100
    WorkingDir=C:\Users\Sprintfox_DW\Videos\Planetside2
    OutputFile=VideoCaptureOutput.avi

[VideoStreamer]
    Resolution=1
    Fps=30
    Kbps=0
    MicRecordVolume=0.000000
    SpeakerRecordVolume=1.000000
    Username=

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=On

[AutoRefuse]
    FriendInvitation=0
    DuelInvitation=0
    GuildInvitation=0
    HideUi=1
    TradeRequest=0
    HousingInvitation=0
    GroupInvitation=0

[General]
    AutoDetectPerformanceSettings=0
    MouseSensitivity=0.160000
    VehicleMouseSensitivity=0.160000
    FlightMouseSensitivity=0.160000
    ScopedMouseSensitivity=0.150000

[Video]
    VideoCapturePrefix=PS2Video

[VoiceChat]
    EchoEnabled=1
    EchoVolume=0.500000
    ProximityEnabled=1
    ProximityVolume=0.500000
    FactionEnabled=1
    FactionVolume=0.500000
    GroupEnabled=1
    GroupVolume=0.500000
    GroupLeaderEnabled=1
    GroupLeaderVolume=0.500000
    RaidEnabled=1
    RaidVolume=0.500000
    GuildEnabled=1
    GuildVolume=0.500000
    CustomEnabled=1
    CustomVolume=0.500000
    InputDevice=Default System Device
    OutputDevice=Default System Device

[Voice]
    ReceiveVolume=50.000000
    MicrophoneVolume=50.000000

[UI]
    HudTintMode=2
    HudTintColorVS=9578383
    MapZoomLevel=6
    MapPositionX=-109.875228859375
    MapPositionY=46.315097809082
    ShowMapTutorial=0
    MapCenterOnPlayer=0
    MapFilterShowSquad=1
    ShowCertsTutorial=0

This is my UserOptions.ini and I currently get 130 FPS when running on open field with low activity and about 60 FPS in heavy battles.

When I set my resolution back to 1920 * 1080, it gets worse. About 10-30 FPS in high activity areas and 40-50 FPS in low activity areas.

Problem is: Constant stuttering. Jumps from 15 to 40 and back the whole time. When entering a high activity zone, it starts to be a slideshow.
  12. DCTH

Stutters are there, even without the GUI and no matter what settings.
    It is even quiet visible in the CPU-load. All 4 cores show extreme stutter, going from 70 to 50% (with frames going from 40 - 10)

I'd say it has nothing to do with the GUI but with player-visibility calculation.
  13. IronZuuL

A video of today's gaming, at Allatum after 10 minutes of playing. Hope it gives some clues:

And by the way, I have tried many of the popular home made cures to no avail, the Useroptions.ini adjustments, the HUD going off, the sound going off, etc. Many of these actually work in improving the fps maximum, but the problems still remain: objects still warp all over, fps are still very erratic, and after 10-20 minutes of gameplay it will start freezing (like in the video) and eventually crashes, being around a big crowd seems to accelerate this.

No problems before the patch. ;)
    • Up x 1
  14. Vertixen

Well isn't it better actualy to cancel FPS changes made in this path cuz everyone noticed its worse than before and we can't even play at all cuz it's photobucket...
  15. Deathontwolegs

Mr Wobberjockey

Same experience
    Seem the 02 Patch has killed the game for me and bro :( warp gate fine 50-60fps
    Head out in Vangaurd, get close to fronline and dramatic drops! feels like Lag rather than GXF issue
    Seems to improve when not in a tank, but still noticable
    Please fix :) we were super excited about the patch....last night forced to give up playing....BOOO

Running at High GFX

i7 3330 With Boost
    8GB 1333 DDR 3
    660TI GFX
    FX Fatality SC
  16. Timeraider

btw.. everyone posting specs.. your specs or hardware are not the problem :p

Its the game-engine flipping out so its not something we can fix from our computers.
  17. dr_Fell

Some more info. I have just done little test, fighting in Allatum Biolab on Lithcorp. Area was full of enemies (enemy platoons detected). Fights took place inside Biolab. I was respawning at northern teleport, then I teleported myself into upper right (NE) teleport room in Allatum.

- FPS near northern teleport, outside Biolab varied from 30 with slight "FPS hickup" (looking at direction of the Allatum, even it was not directly visible) to even as much as 60 GPU limited (looking at opposite direction). Before GU2 my FPS there was higher than 30 in similar conditions, but rather not as high as 60.
    - FPS in Allatum also varied. 30-45 when looking more at the center of the biolab, or where fights took place. When I looked from teleport building towards Biolab edges my FPS, went as high as 60, GPU limited ! (Even with 2-3 players just behind my back). When one or two other players appeared in my view (or they were hidden behind rock but I could see their blue triangles) I have instant FPS drop to 50-55, CPU limited.

I noticed similar effect in other places. FPS seems to be good when there are no or very, very few players in my sight. (Seem to be higher than before GU2 - I have never been GPU limited in Biolab before, especially with enemy platoons in the area).
    With increasing number of enemies (dont have to be many of them) FPS rapidly drops and is lower than before GU2

I have similar results near the Crown or Ti Alloys, even when there are only "enemy squads" there. When I am flying south in Reaver I have good FPS (60-70, GPU limited - also seem to be a bit higher before GU2). Then in half way from Crash Site to Ceres Hydroponics I have rapid FPS drop to 30-40 FPS and "Fps Hicckup" begins.

EDIT: my fps at Warpgate seem to be as usual (55-65 GPU limited). Also I don't have problems with smoke, no FPS drops for me as well.
  18. MaryJaneSmoker

Hello!

My friend from another forum said that : "Problem of low FPS can be in LOS :"
    Check it! ;)
  19. husse

well when this happens to me gpu usage graph goes from 0% to 100% all the time :D
  20. Sanchin

On any level of graphical settings i tested (from Low tu Ultra) I am CPU limited on a Phenom II 955 BE with GTX 275 (well, on Ultra I saw GPU limit a few times, but it was around 40-50, so no problem). Yesterday on a typical fight as Vanu near the NC warp with my outfit I had 5 FPS when looking forward onto the battlefield, and 60 (capped in ini) when looked back. Prior to patching it never went down below 15 or even below 20 happened rarely and I don't think that there were more people and vehicle than usual.

EDIT: Now that I think of it - maybe it is connected with he new nametags rendering?

Apart from that - there are constant spikes like every couple frames it drops to around 10-15 or even less, and back to 30-40 without apparent reason, just while running for example. It's that short that I barely can notice the number the counter shows - it is just one value and back to normal and than again.