Obesrvations regarding FPS drops from GU02

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Wobberjockey, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Nacasatu

I also understand GpuPhysics is not enabled in the game yet so that setting has little to no bearing on anything, I just leave it in there enabled anyway, can equally be removed.
  2. Mistro

This has happened to me twice. Once with a galaxy shortly after I bailed out and died I was kicked into a multiple load screen and then was right back where I loaded into the galaxy. The second time was on my flash I was ran over by a friendly sunder as normal with riding a flash in a traffic jam and died as I was bailing off and once again multiple load screen and right back where I got on my flash.
  3. Azzer

I can only assume you are experiencing the placebo effect, possibly combined with the ini and other graphical changes you have made making the bugs less noticable. Not only should users never have to play around with these things, I can confirm that the game itself does use UDP for all game related packets. The launcher uses TCP (as it's a HTTP connection) to get the launcher info pages and news etc.. The game uses UDP. In-game voice chat is also UDP (with an initial TCP connection to decide which UDP ports to use for the voice-chat). Therefore changes to the way TCP packets are handled should have no influence whatsoever, unless you make changes that affects UDP connections/packets too.

Have you tried playing for several hours, and got involved in large-scale battles, since making these changes? There is a definite memory leak in the client since the patch, so playing for an extended period of time is necessary before deciding if any changes you make have "fixed it" - and nothing you do client-side settings wise should be able to fix any memory leaks in the client anyway! :D

Don't do it! :D (solaris80 on Cobalt right? Tis your best Vanu friend, AzzerUK! ;) )
  4. darkagent

heres a video of me playing last night. as you can see its a little laggy here and there. the game becomes unplayable around 7:30 when i move into dahaka amp station. i was able to play this game flawlessly on all low settings getting around 80 - 130 FPS

I7 920 quad core @ 3.6ghz
    7 gigs of ram
    500 GB HDD
    nvidia GT240
    windows 7
  5. Nacasatu

Yeah played for roughly 9 hours yesterday/last night on Mattherson in massive 3 way battles, no problems at all. I dunno, I've changed nothing else I can think of and drivers etc., up to date, latest Nvidia beta. Only thing I changed that helped was the TcpOptimize settings.
    Weird, anyway...
  6. Gisgo

I noticed a lot of "ghost" veichles on the minimap.
    I have a radar flash, from time to time i see a veichle on the minimap, i drive there to blow it and theres nothing but lag.
  7. Blackoth

Directly after GU02 and hotfix 1, but before hotfix 2, i think my performance was noticeably better then it ever has been.

I never had performance issues even when in a large battle until AFTER the hotfix 2 that fixed the tanks from fireing blanks, sometime sunday night.

Now i have performance drops in populated areas. Game is still playable for me, but performance issues make it annoying.

I have all my settings on high and resolution at 1920x1200.
  8. evansra

I also suffered large fps drops since patch.
    Before patch i was 15-50fps depending on how populated the area was, now its 0-50 with random spikes droping to 1 or 0 fps :/

I have noticed it is not related to the size of the fight i am in and also last night me and my outfit where playing and we all suffered the spikes at the same time usualy when traveling from one area to another.

To me atleast it seamed more comon when driving ground vehicles.
    Finaly i have seen an increese in people apearing to lag/warp, this could be due to the same problem, i have found myslef being killed from round corners and also being shot after running through a shield eg:poping out of a tec plant shield to take a few shots then going back in only to be killed by somone outside.

I run athlon II x4 3ghz
    gforce 550ti 1gig
    8gig ram
    win 7 64bit

hope this helps :)

Edit: i run standard medium graphics unchanged from before patch and have not tried changing anything.
  9. Firesalamander

Additional: It makes no difference to the FPS-drop/stuttering which internet provider I use. My primary access is a "32000" with ~3.7 MByte/s downstream over tv-cable, the spare is a "3000" with ~330kByte/s downstream over phone cable. Both have the same Framerate drops from > 50 to ZERO. A memory leak can not be the primary reason as well, the stuttering is there from the beginning. Turning HUD off does not help either. I think the network communication between the server(s) and the clients is overloaded with too much data, and more than you can expect from the internet. It should work fine in a local network. It was tested locally only, am I right, SOE guys? ;-)
  10. kuddlesworth55

I have recently noted that after the Game Update 2 near around The Crown I have found that there is quite a lot of stuttering occurring. My FPS is around 40-60 at the bottom of The Crown mountain complex looking south it stutters too much. I have a GTX 680 EVGA Classified and I know I should be getting much less stuttering around this area as before the Game Update 2 there was none. The new changes to the maps are much welcomed by me though. Just the performance issues.
  11. SpartanZero

Opening an closing the map settings (M), or opening any interactive panels my FPS drops by half.
    Stuttering +an FPS lag seems most prominent when multiple audio bits are playing. Shooting any VS gun, Multiple explosions, vehicle combat, AMS deployment/troops unload, etcetera. It feels like a good portion of the stutter comes from audio clips as well the new UI/map changes/additions. I had no previous audio issues prior to GU02.

Used to get 70-80 FPS at WG, now I'm getting 50-60 FPS at WG. Used to get 20-30 FPS in large firefights, now I'm lucky if I can get 10-15.
  12. NotTheMomma

Yes, I saw that at the Crown last night. But, that bug's been around since before GU02.
  13. AlasPoorJoric

The map and other user interface screens are much slower to open than before the update, that's for sure.
    • Up x 1
  14. NotTheMomma

Yes, I've been reading through all the recent posts to see if anyone mentioned this. Since a lot of the time people are mentioning vehicles seeming to make the stuttering much worse, this might be a related symptom.

I see this happening often. An enemy vehicle will be on the minimap like it's been spotted, but it is not there, and it stays on the minimap for minutes sometimes. Humorously, last night at the crown, a vehicle was on the minimap inside the building at B. After several minutes, it disappeared, and a different type of enemy vehicle reappeared in the same place, again for a few minutes.

I don't know if it's doing the same thing with ally vehicles, because, obviously, they're not (as big of) a threat. :)

Also, sometimes the red dot that indicates that an enemy has fired stays on the minimap fixed in the same place for minutes. The enemy is long gone.

Finally, sometimes an enemy vehicle or the red dot that indicates an enemy infantry has fired shows on the world map, right on the border between hexes. This did happen before GU02, but now it happens much more often.

If I had to take a WAG, I'd say that there are multiple problems leading to the stuttering behavior. I think there's one or more issues with the new spotting/player rendering prioritization system. I think there's probably issues with voice/sounds. Finally, the game has always had CPU utilization problems and lingering memory leaks, and those have just been dramatically exposed after this big patch.

I think when most of these bugs are identified and patched, performance will in fact be considerably better. My FPS in a busy warpgate is at least 10-15 FPS better than before. But, the stuttering in fights simply makes me nauseous.
    • Up x 1
  15. Skippytjc

I have no issue at all unless I am facing certain directions. There does not seem to be anything that stands out about the directions that produce lag, and they seem to change. I had ZERO lag/fps/latency issues before the patch.

75/35 megs connection
    3.4 Hexa Core AMD
    16 gigs DDR3
    RAID 0 SSD's
    Crossfire 6870's
    Win 7 64 bit
  16. Reithan

So, does anyone know, specifically what these settings do/affect if anything?

ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    AOQuality=5
    AmbientOcclusionQuality=5
    BlurQuality=5
  17. WrrLor

No time to read all of theses posts, but has anyone mentioned the Max Headroom style in game coms? Stuttering on almost every word. Any chance this is related to the graphics stutter?
  18. Dokran

I´m having the same issue as others while facing certain directions my fps drops to unplayable standards 1 to 5 specially facing towers.

Then when I hop in a vehicle no matter where I´m, the stuttering is everywhere i go, it sticks with me to the point of deconstruct and move by feet.
  19. shadowmansm

I get the same thing exactly! Seems like Biolabs are really bad these days and it usually seems that I am looking towards the direction of a Biolab means stutter city. Anyhow, I hope they fix this soon because I get NONE of these problems on the other continents but less people. :-(
  20. shd

It would be interesting to hear from people that aren't actually affected by the stuttering. What rigs, drivers, settings are they using.

All the people i know that can play actually do have some stuttering but have high enough frame rate that they don't feel it as much (like me, i go from 60ish to 10, up and down).