Obesrvations regarding FPS drops from GU02

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Wobberjockey, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Wobberjockey

PURPOSE
    This thread is to serve as a consolidated place for players to post when and where they experience FPS drops. The more data SOE has regarding this the faster they can pinpoint and fix the problem/problems.

THIS IS TO BE A WORKING THREAD PROVIDING USEFUL DATA TO SOE!So please take all your "OMG! SOE U SUXXORZ!!1!" posts to another thread. There are plenty in the general discussion section that would fit the bill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 i seem to notice a large amount of FPS decrease on or around 'magrider hill', heading from crossroads watchtower towards the crown.

2 i've observed that there seems to be a FPS drop nearing certain areas. backing away from those areas generally improves my FPS, as does punching through those areas.

3 i have noticed that these areas SEEM to be concentrated on or around territory/hex borders, specificaly ones seeing a large amount of combat. the crossroads/crown/ti alloys triad can regularly produce this

4. with a little bit of sound work, and a smoother time dilation effect, this could be a great way for PS2 to let you know you are bout to get in-the-****, so to speak :p
    • Up x 3
  2. dr_Fell

1. FPS in areas where it has been relative high for me (and cpu bound) before patch, seem to be a bit higher now (not sure).
    2. FPS in crowded areas (Amp Stations, Crown, battles in other places) is lower by 20% now than before
    3. FPS in tank (tested near crown) - 50% less FPS, almost unplayable (drops to 15 FPS).
    4. Big FPS drops every some seconds (to 5-15 FPS) - occurs mainly near Crown.

EDIT:
    5. FPS drops during fast mouse moves (looking around). That effect was also present before GU2, now seem to be stronger. Maybe it is just an effect of the overall lower FPS, and it is just more visible than before.
    6. FPS degradation over time seem to be still here (it was present before patch too).
    • Up x 6
  3. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

It would be helpful to consolidate the threads when possible, so pointing people to this thread for reports and information would be very helpful.
    • Up x 4
  4. AlasPoorJoric

Surely you guys have a handle on the issues by now, if not the solutions?
    • Up x 4
  5. Reloaded

The only thing solid that I have noticed is that looking in certain directions when this happens either causes it or makes it go away. That is to say, in a certain area that it is happening, looking generally North (for example) will cause frame drops/lag, while looking the opposite way works fine. I'm able to move in a Northern direction and get great FPS as long as I don't look that direction.
    • Up x 8
  6. shd

I get the worst stutter around the new spawn rooms. That goes double for the towers. I also noticed that every time the game hicks or even crashes there is some kind of sound going on, like explosions, gunfire, engine sounds. It almost never happens when it's quiet.

Important to note, the game ran great before GU2.
    • Up x 2
  7. Alpharior

My stuttering is pretty much exactly as described in the other 4 or 5 threads. I logged in earlier and most of our outfit had the same problem. The patch broke the game for me, I won't be able to play until its fixed.

You can find some analysis and theories on the source of the problem on these two threads on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/17ud28/stutter_bug_being_caused_by_ui_los_changes/

In particular this comment and chart might be of use to you.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/17ts14/concerning_fps_dropsstuttering/c893d7p
    • Up x 2
  8. Haya jii san

I was getting ~20 fps when update 2 came out. With new hotfix i now get stable 120 fps with occasional stattering.

Pros mixed with some cons.
    Keep it up !

ps_1: I'm not kidding / exaggerating
    ps_2: Fix magrider as well <3
    • Up x 3
  9. Kookamunga

Tried at lunch , same thing. Look one direction , ok 50-60 fps

Look in the opposite direction , usually towards a base or gathering , BAM , down to 20-30

Turn around ok , turn around , bad.

Threat , Render distance , etc , make game go barf! I am done playing this crap until its fixed , its just went from enjoyable to frustrating in a hurry. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  10. Zagareth

Before GU2 patch I had some test with my new RAM

It was possible to get at least 20 FPS at 1600x900 resolution and all graphic settings at medium, with Rendering at 60%
    But I usually play at 1360x768 with all graphics at Low and rendering at 50%. The usual FPS was at 35 at most down to 18 at least in heavy battles, no matter where I look at.

Now after GU2 patch and the same Low setting as usual, I get ~40 FPS at less crowded and empty areas and at the Crown it drops to 10-15 and when I view directly to the Crown or at any other high activity spot, it drops down to 1 (ONE!) FPS. It does not matter, if I really see any action, it only matters that I look at the direction where the action is. So all the explosions and toons and tracers, might be hidden, but still affecting my performance.

This is all measured within a Tank, no matter which tank, its all the same.

Conclusion: The GU2 was a big fail in performance, compared to what it was before
    • Up x 1
  11. sustainedfire

I believe it seems to happen, in the same areas for more people. I played a bit today with my outfit, and when one of us was experiencing framerate issues, all or most of us were at the same time.

Indar seems to have it the worst. Ceres Hydroponics does it pretty badly, areas near Crossroads tower, and a few other places that I do not recall.

Esamir seems to run a lot better. I am getting fantastic framerates on Esamir, and had maybe a light frame rate drop once. Is the frame rate issue mostly based on Indar?
    • Up x 2
  12. Duvenel

• Up x 2
  13. Elrobochanco

I get this as well. My framerate is not great normally (say 20-40ish) but sometimes it goes to 3, but if I face another direction it goes right back to normal. I have a fairly old processor (q6600 OC to 3.3ghz) but it barely goes past 65% utilization on a single core. I recorded a video of the direction based stuttering:

Sorry for the bad quality, the in game recorder really needs a resolution boost.

Edit to add: I'm running most settings on medium or low, at 1920x1200, and a gtx 460 graphics card.
    • Up x 4
  14. PlayerOneSVK

i5-2500k
    GTX560Tii DC2 1GB
    8GB

Playing on low..

FPS in general goes down about 20%
    FPS in bigger areas like EMP station,BioLabs etc.. goes down 20-30%

And Yes i paid 4 this game ((4500sc))

So i have right to start posting my problems !
    • Up x 1
  15. Chezze

As the vid from Elrobochanco showned.
    This is the same problem i have. drops down to 5 fps when im watching one way on the map.

And im having problems in all directions in big stations. Amp/tech etc.
    Where i go from 30+ fps to 10 all the time.

I really hope they manage to fix this soon.
    • Up x 2
  16. AvalonNightOps

I was having the problem to a horrible degree (3-20 fps)

After messing with the settings I found that my frames improved to a playable level once you lower the render distance to 1000. I am getting not quite steady fps like I used to (40-50), but the game is now playable. Try that as a stop gap until SOE puts out something to fix this.

Hope that helps.

BTW: Really love the new patch SOE! Changed alot of the problems that made me hate the game. Fix this and I am pretty happy.

Thanks for all the work guys!
    • Up x 2
  17. Cleaver

I've never had FPS lag more (played since beta) and I lag now when I enter a lightning or sunderer (I haven't tried out a magrider, I assume that'd be the same).
    • Up x 2
  18. Alpharior

• Up x 1
  19. Baldrick

• Up x 2
  20. Kristle

Just to add my voice in this forum, I've played PS2 since release with no frame rate problems—until the patch. I've played the last few nights and put up with the lag (I've been expecting to log and find a fix ready to download) but have finally admitted defeat tonight after an hour of awful gameplay. I can no longer play and will cancel my sub unless the issue is fixed. I hope it is, as I love this game.

If it helps, I play only in a Scythe and have reduced my settings to no avail. Deleting useroptions.ini did nothing. Anytime I get near any concentration of activity my frame rate dives—and that's from a much reduced post–patch rate to start with.

i5
    8gb ram
    ssd
    gforce gtx470
    • Up x 2