Obesrvations regarding FPS drops from GU02

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Wobberjockey, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Absolom

I had posted here previously, curious about whether or not the fps issues were linked to the crash to desktop issues myself and others are experiencing, especially because they seem to happen in the same instances.

I've now noticed that my PS2 runs far smoother, with no fps drop and no crashes, when i DO NOT RUN TS! (teamspeak)

I saw elsewhere that there are other voice chat programs that are having issues with GU2. If you run a voice chat program, try it without it.
  2. Wobberjockey

this may or may not be related:

earlier today, the VS was making a hard push to ARC Bio on waterson, and i was killed.

FPS went from 40 just before the death to 2fps on the deploy screen. (which i was unable to interact with)
    i needed to exit the client but there was no crash (could hear platoon mates just fine through VOIP
  3. Skiptrace

Hmm well i just noticed something in the warpgate while walking around in it. not sure if i just needed to turn my settings down (which i loathe cause i want to pump it to the max with my GTX 560 [overclocked]) or what. but the warpgate itself kept dissapearing and it would show the sky even outside. but if i stood and looked at the exact right spot i could have visuals its on all 3 warpgates for NC.

Specs
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 (overclocked a little by myself with consent of a computer tech)
    CPU: AMD Athalon X4 650 Quad-Core
    Memory: 6 gig
    Storage Capacity on HDD 1: 1 TB
    Storage Capacity on HDD 2: 250 gig
  4. Absolom

Strike Teamspeak fix posted above.

Tested the theory on my normal crash location. Allatum Biolab. Never fails. I crash out to desktop, every time i get close.

Has absolutely nothing to do with population at the lab, fighting, bursters, tanks blah blah blah...

It's the lab. Also happens at crossroads.
  5. darkagent

the area around quarts ridge and howling check point. those two cliffs i have experienced drops in FPS why looking at the cliff side. if i look away form it my frame rates return to normal. could be to many textures being layered on top of each other in the cliff side.
    • Up x 1
  6. GhostofMars

Yup. Game went from solid 50+ FPS everywhere to a nearly-unplayable mess overnight.

Drops as low as 10-15 FPS when I face (what I assume to be) a large group of players. This seems to be worse with enemy players than with friendlies.

Vehicles in general make me lag, being in one seems to be worse than being around them. Flying an ESF is now deadly because I never know when I may lag out and crash into a mountain.

SOE: I see that your suggestion is for players to simply "check back later" to see if you've fixed the problems. I can guarantee that most players will not do that.

My suggestion to you, SOE, is to ROLL BACK THE PATCH and re-release it when you fix the problems.
    • Up x 1
  7. Thagyr

FPS kept stuttering from 40 to 20, and sometimes as low as 5 during a Indar NC Warp-gate convoy rollout. The VS had been ghost capping bases continually for a while so we moved this convoy from empty base to empty base, but even without fighting there was the stuttering whenever I looked at the main force while it was inside a base.
  8. LaRoaZ

i havent had a huge performance hit with this patch. I get frame drop at certain times but it isnt often enough for me to really mind that much. FPS is still fairly low in congested areas but that is how its always been for me. The only times i've actually had severe problems with frame rates every single person around me in the game complains about lag simultaneously. I think there might be a specific event that is causing it for everyone within 'grid' or 'render distance' of whatever that event is.

I've also noticed an increase in bugged icons on the minimap and seem to remember this had somethign to do with the server sending 'junk data' to the clients or something, according to a dev post at some point. Maybe this means junk data is streaming around causing lag for everyone within range of whatever the source of that junk data is?

I'm just guessing wildly.
  9. Kazune

CPU: Phenom IIx4 965 @ 3.41GHz
    Chipset: AMD 890FX/SB850
    GPU: nvidia gtx 560 Ti
    RAM: DDR3 8 GB 1066+ (can't remember if it was 1066, 1333 or 1600)
    Resolution: 1680x1050

Before the patch I ran 60+ FPS, averaged 90 most of the time until hitting a large battle. That was running with all settings on High, 74 FoV, Ambient Occlusion On, Motion Blur Off, Vertical Sync Off.

With the same settings after patch, my FPS is everywhere, from 90 in unpopulated areas to 20 in populated areas; and then there's the stuttering/choppy effect where I'll go 1-2 frames every 2/3 seconds.

The drop in FPS performance and stuttering effect did not go away when running with settings changed to Medium/Low, and with Ambient Occlusion Off.
    • Up x 1
  10. XenoScifi

I was there as TR and it was a horrible stuttering mess! Once I got into a prowler the problem actually got worse, MUCH MUCH worse.
    I tried to shut the HUD off like somebody suggest and it did nothing. Also I have tried LOW setting and HIGH settings and get no change in the FPS drops.

System:
    AMD Phenom II x2
    8gigs RAM 1333 DDR3
    Radeon HD5750
    WD Black Edition 1 TB 7200RPM harddrive
  11. Wobberjockey

it makes me wonder if SOE has load balanced across different servers like CCP does with EVE... it would make sence that the crown would be beefed up, since they indended it to be a fight and a half to take, but then you get places like arc bio where nobody is ever supposed to go and shove the TR and the VS onto it...

it's a jita 4-4 undock all over again
  12. o.Solei.o

Much the same issue as others here. Battles involving >platoon worth of people drop me to 3 to 1 FPS and below. (For those wrestling with that number, 0.33 FPS would be 1 frame every 3 seconds.) This effects me when looking in their general direction, whether or not they are occluded to me. Looking anywhere else immediately brings me back up to pre-patch FPS levels.

I have not noticed it involving the buggy burster fire on MAXes. I can look at MAXes spamming bursters with little loss of FPS, or alternately face a battle with no obvious bursters and go into dying-computer-power-point mode.
  13. TOP-Proto

Heres what I found.

1. FPS drops were consistent. I could look at the FPS meter on my rig and it went from 30, 15, 9 and repeated every second or so which would indicate something ticking going on. My guess would be the hud or any arrays being refreshed.
    2. FPS drops were inconsistent with exploding vehicles - specifically smoke effects seemed to lower FPS alot and once they went the FPS shot back up. My guess is a whole load of overlayed alpha textures.
    3. FPS drops when looking at several other players in the view (even when not moving or shooting) - my guess for this one is to check the HUD tick - easy to test, remove the hud, does your fps still drop, if so check the models.
    4. FPS drops when being fired at - While this is only small i suspect its the alpha on the muzzle flash weaponry being used. The overuse of alpha textures is probably dropping fps on lower end machines.

heres what i would recommend.

For alpha textures, have your normal draw value decrease if the FPS decreases to a minimum. Its better the muzzle flash of a weapon plays once every 2 shots and doesnt decrease your FPS than having it accurately play every shot.
    For the vehicle explosions, if the FPS decreases to a minimum , kill the effects (especially the smoke effect)
    For the hud issues, especially the minimap implement a sonar type update on the minimap so it refreshes what it sees in the sonar zone, the most recent stuff is what the sonar just passed, the other stuff doesnt move any more until the sonar re-updates. You can make it so your squad and spotted targets are sonar exempt as your squad and spotted targets are likely to be priority pieces.

When i say sonar, im not talking about a 1 second sonar, it can be quick but make it adjustable so people with slower machines can slow the sonar if its causing them issues up to .5 a second perhaps (test it out)
  14. Blowdup

I haven't noticed any difference in the appearance of effects like explosions, smoke, muzzle flashes, etc. with this patch compared to prior, but the FPS stuttering is dramatic compared to pre-patch, which worked fine for me with the same effects before.

It is definitely worse while in vehicles. It doesn't seem to be effected by looking at vehicles, except the presence of air always seems to make it worse for me. Certain areas, like around the Crown are worse than others, but the stuttering can happen anywhere anything's going on.

I avg. 70 fps when 'normal' amount of people around, 50 fps when busy but drops to 3 or less when stuttering. All settings on high (changing that doesn't help stuttering).

i7 3.2
    16 GB 1600
    GTX 580
  15. The Fizz

since the update, it has crashed to desktop and stutters after about 10 minutes of play. Tonight, the frame rates seemed fine at first but slowly declined until it started stuttering. At the time of stutter, we were in the territory just east of the vanu warpgate.
    i5 3.1
    6 GB memory
    GTX 660
  16. PresidentFreeman

Basically the same story as everyone else here; stuttering when looking at high-population areas then fine when not.

The stuttering is a fluctuation in framerate from the normal rate i.e. 60, down to 10 then back up to 60 again, in the space of about a second.

No matter how bad it gets it seems that looking directly up at the sky removes the stuttering, but that doesn't narrow things down because it is basically rendering nothing at that point.

But at the very least it differentiates it from the random lag attacks that seem to happen where the game drops to single-digit frames (even 0) for seconds or minutes at a time. These were happening before GU02 as well though. In that case looking at the sky did nothing to help frames.

I did a quick log of all CPU and GPU data but couldn't really pin down anything after a five minute test sitting - apart from some suspicious GPU usage bottom-outs - will have to do a blanket log of a whole play session and post again I think.
    • Up x 1
  17. Kociboss

After GU02 I lost around 10 fpp all around and circa 20 in vehicles. Before the patch 60-70 fps was normal for me. Atm it's more like 40-45.
  18. Wargrim

It has definitely something to do with vehicles. But do not ask me what exactly, it seems that they will massively drop my FPS even when behind hills / obstacles where i can not actually see them.
  19. tdawgz

1. Whenever I look up at huge structures (Tech Plants, bio-domes, etc) I get a HUGE frame rate spike. Never happened untill the hotfix.
    2. Whenever I drive a tank, or anything mobile for that matter I get low FPS, especially when I get bombed by a aircraft. I usually get 50-60 FPS but the spikes are horrible. (Around 10-15 FPS when the spike happens.)
    3. I randomly get low FPS just for doing nothing, I heard its because of a UI issue. But I can't play without the UI if you cant even look at the menus -___-
  20. Azzer

I get lots of frequent FPS spikes/rubber-banding since the patch. It feels like bad lag. I NEVER had this before the patch (ever), and I have quite a beast of a machine. Yes I have already tried deleting useroptions.ini and tweaking settings etc. etc. - nothing helps

When the spikes happen, it's often around lots of action, or just after a death, but it does seem to be able to happen anywhere.

When the spikes happen, the in-game FPS meter (alt-f) changes to "CPU" (almost always on GPU rest of the time), and the FPS itself wobbles very very rapidly between whatever my "real" FPS is (usually around 60-70) down to anything from 5-20, rapidly switching between the two.

PS2 is eating up a large amount of RAM, and the amount of RAM it eats up increases hugely whenever these spikes happen, and the RAM is not cleared. PS2 is now crashing fairly frequently (average once every 2 hours) - when the RAM PS2 is using up hops somewhere over the 2.5 GB mark or so. I never experienced a single crash (ever) before the patch. This suggests a large memory leak, where there didn't used to be one.

I am part of the largest Vanu outfit on Cobalt, and talking often about the lag on outfit chat and platoon chats, it seems like almost everybody is experiencing problems - nobody has yet to pipe up to say they are never having any problems since the patch. I question the depth of SOE's testing process.
    • Up x 1