Happy New Year & Update 02 Info!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Morsong

unfortunately nothing mentioned about that yet, but I do know that the metagame is a huge priority for them and will probably be outlined in the "6-month plan". The metagame is such a massive part of the game so it wouldn't surprise me if it takes a couple more months at least to improve upon it. I agree though and can't wait to hear more about what their plans for improving the metagame are.

Nonetheless, I am psyched for this january patch. :)
  2. DJPenguin

TY TY TY
  3. Koadster

I think its more to do with making Killing not the BEST way to get exp, notice they changed (hopefully increased) Support action exp.. Make people use teamwork more instead of just kill farming
    • Up x 2
  4. gunshooter

Even if spawns are less campable, bases are still poorly designed. This is especially true for minor outposts. I do like the addition of tunnels, though, and tank/aircraft nerfs are always good.

Really dumb that they bended to the will of Buzzcutpsycho in just flat nerfing kill EXP for everyone, even infantry players. I laughed at the "tweaks" to support exp also, support already gets a ton of exp. The entire game will be engineer/medics just trying to farm exp because kills will give you none. If there's one thing the game DIDN'T need, it's lowering the rate of cert gain even more.

SMG's are just a moneygrabbing addition though. You know what an "SMG" in gaming terms is in PS2? A carbine. The last thing this game needs is more boring automatic weapons that effectively serve the same purpose, but I guess Higby needs his paycheck.
    • Up x 2
  5. Spookydodger

It said that maxs would render for aircraft.

It's a much simpler tweak to make MAXs render like vehicles than to fix the render distance for the optimization aspect of the game. That would be a longer term fix.
  6. LameFox

Given that the ability to apply damage was more of a problem for most AA than their theoretical damage output, yes it will be a buff (if it works).
    • Up x 2
  7. ImGladUmad

So is the skyguard still gonna suck?
    • Up x 4
  8. gunshooter

Can you explain how whoring exp as medic/eng (which was already incredibly good exp) is any more teamwork than killing people so that your team can actually take the base?
    • Up x 1
  9. MeowMix986367

Most of that is good news!

I'll remain confident there are HUGE nerfs coming to the Zephyr and Daltons when you mention air weapons are tweaked.

Things I don't think are needed:

Invulnerability. It's kinda cheese. If you nerf the crap out of the Zeph/Dalton, we wont need cheese like this. It sounds like a good way to do a mad dash to a sund and dump C4. It's going to cause a LOT of grief. Reconsider this please.

Didn't see that you were going to remove KDR. Please delete that stat entirely.

Hoping the skyguard is fixed. It should be the same as 3 burster maxes coming out of one gun.

This is a good point. Maybe make the XP gain over time. So if someone is alive for more than 30 seconds, he's at 3/4 of normal XP. Then at a minute he's at full XP. Then every minute beyond, they slowly gain more, and even more as they rack up kills.
  10. MyOdessa

To sum it up:

#1 complaint, here and on PSU forums, i.e. OP air power, especially Liberator, is not being addressed at all. Great job on not responding to the main complaint so far. Minor redesign of bases, but no plans on improving meta-game.

Airside 2 FTL.
    • Up x 5
  11. HadesR

Afaik " increasing " the reload time makes it longer = less spam
  12. LameFox

Not necessarily. Carbines act more or less like AR's but optimised for shorter ranges, an SMG could act like a similar variation of LMG's (high capacity, long reload, etc).
    • Up x 1
  13. Kracken

I wish. Along with a dynamic verbose combat log. We need testing in actual game play.
    • Up x 1
  14. PresidentFreeman

- Partial damage XP for dealing damage to vehicles that you don't end up killing
    - Rebalancing of XP rewards to help support tasks
    - UI changes to emphasize score per minute as a primary metric of player comparison
    - Dynamic / player configurable colors for minimap & overhead indicators for enemies, friendlies, and squads within a platoon
    - New spawn buildings with more exits, protected balconies and easy roof access to make them less campable.
    - AA improvements

All of these I love, and especially this one: 'New Hot Spot system that displays where active fights are occurring on the map'
    Insofar as I can tell from first impression this is just the update I was looking for, and even better than I thought.

Can't wait to see it implemented, happy New Year to you Higby and all the guys working on this.
  15. Koadster

Least your on the ground helping not just sitting in a HE tank or Liberator farming kills.
  16. Mold1184

A step in the right direction. I approve.
  17. RamenOps

Account-wide SC unlocks by the end of January or I'm out of here.
    • Up x 1
  18. LameFox

Clearly you just need to kill a large number of people and raise your average xp gain. :p
  19. JalapenoBuck

What, specifically, are the aircraft weapon changes?

Unless it's a clear nerf to e.g. the Zepher, rendering infantry and MAX units from farther away without making aircraft more vulnerable seems like it tips the balance even more in favor of air, not enough for minor accuracy changes to fix.
    • Up x 4
  20. PresidentFreeman

I do wonder how SMGs will compare to something like a GD-7F though, hopefully that purchase wasn't made redundant.