Nano-Weave Armor is bad for this game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuzzCutPsycho, Dec 1, 2012.

1. TimeyWimey

You will not convince me to not think that nano is simply the best suit mod atm, but I'll gladly agree to disagree with you :)
  2. WUNDER8AR

In a FPS 1 or even 2 more bullets to kill is actually quite a lot. especially when the game has relatively high TTK values from an overall pov, which PS2 defo has. in addition there's insta heal mechanics and armor that completely absorbs certain amounts of damage. hence every hit/ bullet counts. nano-weave is even more of a bummer for low rof weapons in particular. it's got to be removed. either that or personal shields have to be non upgradeable when nano-weave is selected to compensate for the HP boost
  3. RageMasterUK

It's not the best. It's been established. It's just your preference. It doesn't even help you in every circumstance as some say. Between the time your HP gets shot up and the time you see a medic nanoweave means nothing, whereas other suit mods provide something during this time.
  4. JojoTheSlayer

You can not buy nano armor with SC.
    End game is meant to be balanced to around 10% +/- dif between fully upgraded and none upgraded.
    In a game with lower ttk it dosent matter by much.
  5. Metalsheep

When im firing at you with a fully automatic weapon, 1 extra bullet doesnt mean anything. Often times people put way more bullets into a target than they need to before they realise the target is dead anyways.It may only be effective if your using single fire mode on the carbines/assault rifles. The semi-auto scout rifle and sniper rifle deal enough damage per shot that nanoweave doesnt effect it. Im not sure about the Battle Rifles, however. As i havent used them.
  6. SpruceMoose

I live longer with the shield upgrade rather then nano

I feel dumb cuz I certed nano to lvl 2-3 on every class
    by all means give me a refund, its not a very good suit mod, but don't remove it; this game need all the customization it can get
  7. BuzzCutPsycho

Yes. I think having more HP in a fast TTK is superior to everything else. Wait, no... I don't think it I know it.
  8. Littleman

If it looks like I'm changing stances, I'm not: I'm looking at it objectively. There is no black and white here. I don't have to hate it or love it, and I'm not going to call people idiots and names for disagreeing with me, because it IS an all round good cert to have and there is NO excuse not to have it on every single class within the first 15 minutes of play, but it isn't going to win the day. It's a cert that requires healing after every HP hit to be useful. Once you're under 1000 hp, it doesn't matter if you have it in the next engagement or not. The other certs keep carrying from engagement to engagement without an outside source to reinforce them constantly. I'd consider that variable rather situational in my own opinion, and I'm a medic, so it's not a problem to keep my HP topped off. But then... I can get away with popping off my AoE before every engagement and statistically, I'll have healed enough to take an extra round anyway, so it's a catch 22 cert in my case.

I can min-max too... I just consider more things than the blatantly obvious.
  9. Crator

It would be more beneficial in a lower global TTK environment, correct?

EDIT: Keeping existing damage rates, of course
  10. BuzzCutPsycho

I think in a game where TTK is as delicate as it is in this one and balance is trying to be finely tuned there shouldn't be a variable which adds a straight HP boost. It's also very, very obvious to me when somebody has nanoweave and when somebody doesn't. That extra bullet or two can and will make a noticeable difference.
  11. Natir

Why would I waste spending 1,000s of cert points into other armor for classes when I just need one type?

Nanoweave lets me take 2 extra bullets if not more depending on where the shots hit (not everyone is an ace at shooting a moving target). This is the ideal suit mod for all situations. When I am trying to min/max my survivability, this is where it is at since you will be taking all kinds of damage just about most of the time. This game is about TTK and I want to have the gun that has the fastest TTK and I want an armor mod that will give me a higher TTK. Nanoweave does this. Nanoweave breaks some aspect of the game. It creates an unfair balance between low and high TTK.

Any halfway decent player can tell when someone has a high level of nanoweave versus someone who does not. You say to yourself, "I put my entire clip into this guy and he still has a sliver of life left. I know I should have killed him."

Lets go over situations and the other shields.

Advanced Shield Capacitor: For 341 cert points, I can regenerate my shield 2.5 seconds faster. That seems pretty sweet, except you need to be out of combat for this to happen. 2.5 seconds really is not that much in the grand scheme of things. So, in a big battle, what is really going to save me, faster shield regen or more HP? More HP 99% of the time. Again, if you are some lone wolf sniper, the ASG may actually be nice since when you get shot, you have more time to recover and stealth from a distance. So, to an infiltrator, this may be nicer at longer ranges. At the end of the day, what is better in almost all situations? Nanoweave hands down.

Flak Armor: Reduced damage by 25% of one kind. When do you get hit by flak where this will always save you in every situation? This is only good for one thing, explosions happening right near you so you don't immediately die. Well, Nanoweave can do the same thing with that 25% extra HP. So, why would I want something that is only good for one situation and not all? If I am spending 1,211 cert points, I want it to be versatile and be for almost every situation. Flak armor is nice but I would rather just have more HP since I am typically always getting shot by bullets when there is a grenade or c4 going off near me. If I have max nanoweave, I can survive a grenade or c4 so why in hell would I bother with flak armor? I wouldn't want to use the scenario of a tank shooting at me, chances are I am dead anyway (assume I don't have a counter to that tank).

Grenade Bandolier/Munitions Pouch/Ammunition Belt: Garbage. For the amount of certs these cost, they are garbage. Why would I give up 25% more health, 25% resist to flak, etc for 1 or 2 extra grenades or a few extra bullets? Unless these were all combined, I think these are pretty useless.. Even for the lone wolf, these are useless. The only one that is okay is the ammo belt for if you want to be some elite shadow sniper off in the hills of Pakistan. So, please combine these with different levels and appropriate cert costs.
  12. Crator

@Natir Makes sense. Thanks for showing the cost difference too. So really, they are counting on players to choose the cheaper options first so once the do realize the best one they've spent the most certs getting to that point.
  13. BuzzCutPsycho

/thread
  14. WUNDER8AR

I'd agree if we were solely talking about up close engagements and stationary targets or in other words statistical ttk values. but maps are quite a lot bigger than in any other FPS, meaning that people are not primarily engaging each other at point blank ranges while standing still and at 100% accuracy/ 0 bullet deviation. quite the opposite actually. there's also things to consider such as bullet velocity, random deviation, damage drop off over range etc. and that's when personal shields/ healing abilities and particularly HP boosts play a very important, maybe even a gamebreaking, role. tho in the end good players will ofc learn how to deal with it
  15. Xonal

The two classes I play I'd much rather have the utility of extra ammo for if I'm using a gun that chews through ammo more than others or if I really want to play a more supporting medic role with extra res grenades or having extra mines for my engineer... I use none of that on any of them because I'd be silly to roll without Nanoweave :(
  16. Noxx(ia)

It's a great option for 1 cert for 10% when you start, but putting in much beyond that is rather useless. The other utility options are much better. Extra Rockets, Run Speed, etc.
  17. On1onKn1ght

Most people who are serious about PS2 have watched Buzz's twitch stream, or at least heard his name mentioned. That's why it's surprising that you don't know who he is.

When the top ranked player on the leaderboard says something is OP, he just might be onto something.
  18. McFly

2 extra bullets makes a huge difference you noob. even 1 extra bullet makes a big difference when pros are fighting each other
  19. RageMasterUK

Meh it's not OP. It helps you survive one encounter between heals. Shield regen helps you survive multiple encounters between heals.
    Grenade bandolier helps you output more damage as does ammo bandolier...

It's not all about initial survivability...

If it was a 1 v 1 deathmatch obviously the nanoweave would be the best choice. But it's not.
  20. Natir

Here is my counter.