The Dervish Heavy Fighter

Discussion in 'Official News Feedback' started by Mithril, Jun 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VV4LL3

I agree, it's basically a weaker, easier to hit, slower, less armed, less versatile, with unknown utility -- Air Harasser.

If the LIBERATOR is being used as an Anti Air, this thing, as is, doesn't stand a chance.

The VALK is more versatile, higher survivability, and offers more damage with a full compliment of strikers/engineers.

The video shows a sluggish, low maneuverable platform easily out performed by ESF'--The core requirement of an air superiority platform. This is not an air superiority fighter. It will constantly be contested, and out performed by ESF's and the Valk and Lib teams.

AS IS, without further capabilities to supplement the poor performance: This is a solution in search for a problem.
  2. VV4LL3

To be at all competitive in the Air Domain, this platform needs to address the tenets of Air Superiority above, that in its current demonstrated state--Does not.

Improvements and Considerations:
    1. Must be able to out repair and damage a Valk fully loaded with Engineer and SAM Strikers.
    2. Must be able to out maneuver or outpace ESF.
    3. Must be able to deliver more damage A2A than a Valk fully loaded with SAM Strikers, and/or a belly-up Liberator.
    4. Must be able to deliver notable damage from a far to engage Larger Targets, e.g. Bastion, Galaxy, without entering into threat range, like the Liberator.
    5. Must be able to have more survivability than a Valk fully loaded w/ Engineer and Fire Suppression.
    6. Must be able to deliver more capability than Valk with Radar and Engineer with Detection Darts.
    7. Must be able to fend off Air Platforms without being a huge, slow, target, and be able to take a hit.

Potential Solutions easy to develop:
    Give multiple "funciton/ ability" where as the gunner is able to use their "ability" in addition to the pilot.

Pilot Abilities:
    1. Blink Utility: Allow the pilot to blink the aircraft in any direction with current momentum. Instantly teleporting.
    2. Active Stealth: Allow the pilot to engage in active camoflage, visible stealth like the infiltrator for short periods. Similar cert enhancements, e.g. not moving doesn't take energy.

Gunner Abilities:
    3. Shields: Give active shield that works in similar fashion like the Heavy Infantry, NOT the defector shield.
    4. Repair: Allow the gunner to use the fire suppression feature.

Just a few solutions to really give people a reason to subscribe and/or pick NSO aircraft.
  3. VV4LL3

Just finished play testing -- the Dervish, as is, is severely underwhelming. Given the proposed changes to remove rumble seat repair on the Valk, there are concerns with my above Improvements and Considerations post. Revised as below:

Improvements and Considerations:
    1. Must be able to out repair and damage a Valk fully loaded with Engineer and SAM Strikers. (N/A)
    2. Must be able to out maneuver or outpace ESF. (FAIL)
    3. Must be able to deliver more damage A2A than a Valk fully loaded with SAM Strikers, and/or a belly-up Liberator. (FAIL)
    4. Must be able to deliver notable damage from a far to engage Larger Targets, e.g. Bastion, Galaxy, without entering into threat range, like the Liberator.(MARGINAL)
    5. Must be able to have more survivability than a Valk fully loaded w/ Engineer and Fire Suppression. (FAIL)
    6. Must be able to deliver more capability than Valk with Radar and Engineer with Detection Darts. (FAIL)
    7. Must be able to fend off Air Platforms without being a huge, slow, target, and be able to take a hit. (FAIL)

Aircraft abilities -- nothing new.
    Ejection Seat, Flak, Fire Suppression, Radar, ... will not update until Test Server Live again...

Performance note: Aircraft has baseline Afterburners and High-G Airframe descend. Ascending is still relatively slow and does not match the High-G Airframe cert rate. The rapid descent is useful when being chased and performing low-altitude ground reference maneuvers, as is the larger, high-damage top cannon--but not to be overshadowed by the poorly performing afterburner that caps out at 300 km/h for 3 sec and terrible physics, large obscene hull that easily clips structures causing an uncontrolled "UFO" spin.

Overall the Dervish handles worse than a Maneuver Certed Galaxy, or Valk, and will easily be out performed by ESF's, or a mediocre skilled Liberator Team.
  4. Naduron2

4 ***** today, **** Yes!, **** yes finaly NS is getting air after so many ******* years, **** yes i can have extra player in mine NS ESF, **** i love that design.
  5. FlyBoyBooms

Flying pancake's go BOOM
    • Up x 1
  6. ColdTurkie

Sooo.... I'm fine with it being like it is now my issue comes when u actually wanna aim at an target in the pilot seat whether it be ground or air trying to adjust ur aim with the A and D keys often end up with you skipping the target entirely. It feels like the speed in which the vehicle yaw to the left and right is faster or something which results in u completely skipping over targets. This pretty much makes it pretty useless for pilots to actualy try the other weapons etc because u cant even hit your targets reliably. Either at a gimbal turret like the spur or slow that bad boi yaw speed a little
    • Up x 2
  7. VV4LL3

I wrote several very thoughtful posts about requirements and concerns of this platform. It appears those assessments have and are being validated with the complaints on this thread.
  8. VV4LL3

Almost a year later and the verdict is out. The Dervish is a joke and does not meet ANY of the characteristics of an Air Superiority Fighter.

Nice DTIC white paper:
    https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA350022.pdf

Joint Publication 3-1: Air Superiority Guidance
    https://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Documents/Doctrine/pubs/jp3_01.pdf?ver=2yyt2Bt9hBqT2fKObiJaIA==

Some basic data analysis will prove how ineffectual this platform truly is.

1. Compare kills by the dervish to the nominal ESF.
    2. Compare contribution kills vs solo kills to the nominal ESF.
    3. Compare the Dervish pull rate vs the ESF pull rate for a normalized population ration.
    4. Plot killed-by weapon vs nominal ESF
    5. Plot killed platform vs nominal ESF
    6. Plot Spawn-respawn/ Platform destruction time (Life span) vs nominal ESF
    7. Plot death-by contribution by weapon type/ platform
    8. Plot platform gunner activity. e.g. how frequently platform flies/dies w/ and w/out gunner
    9. Loadout/ configuration of Dervish & their kill/death ratios.

Most of these questions were posed formerly, Page 2, 3 of this thread. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/the-dervish-heavy-fighter.256830/page-3

Please simply hate this platform because of how short the lifespan is (two shotted by all tanks, hue hit surface, two shotted by liberators -- who it's supposed to counter), ineffectual the weapons are (e.g. pixie long lock on times, short weapon lock distance, pixie missiles blow up before hitting target & have really slow speeds, and XAT is a slow moving particle with short range, absurd ballistic arcs, and slow fire time)... Speed: cruise speed is slightly faster than a Galaxy (no idea why, considering how massive it's engines are), maneuverability (X axis turns a lot faster than Y axis handling, thus overshooting is extremely common) The platform can't even turn around, to engage targets with front gun, which means run (which it CANT do) or slowly try to turn around and die.

The platform is EASILY replaced by a Valk or Battle Gal w/ Grenade/Missile Launchers and Double Walkers.

Delete or rework. Hardly anyone wastes time to even gun for it, that's a testament to just how poorly this platform performs. People DO NOT WANT to waste nanites on it.

The pull rate of this system is extremely low for a reason. Learn from these behaviors to determine how much a platform is wanted (supply v demand).
    • Up x 1
  9. The Shozaku

I have noticed a huge issue with people being terrible with the Dervish. Not sure why, especially after I put out an entire tutorial on how to fly it, but people are pretty garbage at the game in general so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

As a Dervish Main, I'd love buffs... But the rest of the flying community may hate you for it xD
  10. Mechwolf

Me and other pilots have came to the agreement that a dervish is .75 of an ESF, but 1.5 of an ESF if it has a gunner.

So we usually just give an ESF to our NSO buddy and have 2 ESFs.
  11. VV4LL3

Let's do the math...

two people = 1.5 of an ESF

when two people in 2 ESF's =s 2 ESF's...

Therefore, the Dervish is STILL trash.
  12. VV4LL3

Because the Capabilities and Parameters (C&P) are by far subpar and can easily be replaced with a Battle Gal?

Also, who on earth are you flying against? Newbies?

The Dervish by no means is an ESF -- there are plenty of videos showing how horrible it legitimately performs to any other ESF.

NSO as a whole, lacks a lot to be competitive with empire specific anything.
  13. CrunchSlamchest

They might be trying to make NSO the "hard mode" faction geared towards PS2 veterans who want a new challenge, which would explain why so many folks struggle with the Dervish. I'm cool with that. But yeah, the Dervish is borderline OP and obviously needs no buffs. It has a high skill floor but also a high skill ceiling, which makes it perfect for NSO.
  14. The Shozaku

As per usual, there are two types of people, those who think the dervish is ****, and those who have fought me lol.

If you want to know how to fly the dervish, check out my YT channel. I have plenty of videos showing how busted it can be. :)
  15. The Shozaku

I usually consider things "OP" when two factors arise: they allow a lower skill player to compete at a level far above their own, and they allow high skill players to compete at a level above what they should.

High skill players will make anything look busted. But something like the Striker in the hands of a low skill player is very dangerous.
    • Up x 1
  16. VV4LL3

Sure! I want you to do a live fly recording on Connery, no edits, on VS as a Dervish. I'll pull a fully upgraded one for you, any build you'd like.

PM me, and we will set it up in the wild, to see how you compete against a competent enemy.

Overall, though, empirically, the Dervish is trash. Just on the numbers and capabilities alone.

Attack surface, max speed, maneuverability, ... weapons...

Let's seriously set something up. I love it when people flex with "my youtube" and you watch how edited it is to collate the few wins against the hundreds of losses we cant see against a normal force.
  17. WeadEeder

'Cause your tutorial doesn't go into the massive nuance required to fly drift. (It's Thordwan hi!) It's the only one out there and you're basically the only one that knows what you are doing completely but learning from you directly has been leagues more helpful. Albeit, that video is definitely a REALLY good primer for explaining the ground level type stuff that people need to accept to prepare to fly the dervish...like precision being hot trash for doing anything other than "mobile turret" shenanigans. A rotor tutorial will also eventually be needed, but basically, I'm saying your tutorials need to get into the MEAT of the derv so that I can see more waffles.

Most libs find issue hitting a dervish if it flies correctly; the dervish can easily cruise at around 300-320 and can abuse physics to hit 380 and if you push it 400. The maneuverability...is....odd. It's very odd. It can't do a lot of things ESFs can do, but can do a lot of things ESFs CAN'T do, like fly sideways through a mountain pass at 340 to catch up to fleeing enemies, or maintain 290-320 for most of an engagement.

It's really, really weird to fly, and I want an ESF that can fly like it (as an option), but...I really just want something I can actually solo in. With a gunner, it wrecks. Without one, it's a fish in a barrel (versus competent folks).
  18. WeadEeder

Man these are hilarious and you know what. Yeah, apply them. It'll be...fun.
    I know I'll certainly have fun with them, haha.
  19. The Shozaku

xD

There's always one of you. I understand WHY you think I just aggregate wins and ignore losses... but you're ultimately just projecting your own skill issue onto others.

There's a reason why I have the most Lotus kills, theres a reason why the top two XAT gunners are MY gunners, theres a reason why you can find my gunners all over the leaderboards... But ultimately, there's a reason far better pilots than you think the Dervish is OP :p

All said and done, if you were the first person to "challenge" me, then I'd gladly come over, but if I did that for everyone, I'd never play on my own server. That said, if you want to come to Emerald, you're more than welcome. <3

I'm on pretty much every day during prime time.
  20. VV4LL3

So, we take it that's a No? You won't demo live, unedited, on Connery VS? I mean, if you're as good as you say you are, shouldn't be a issue... but I mean, hey... you said it. You're the best and the rest of the community just doesn't know how to use the tutorial, right?

You'd think that if multiple people are questioning your tactical prowess, it would mean that perhaps, just perhaps, it's not us -- it's actually you. Js... Sounds like you just dimed yourself out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.