The Death Camera

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zagareth, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Zagareth

Well, just thought I'd come back and try to play PS again and then I saw this:

Death Camera
    In this update, players will notice a slightly different behavior from the death camera. Instead of a top-down view of your body, the camera will first track and highlight your killer for a few seconds before refocusing on your corpse. We believe this new camera will help players achieve a better understanding of where attacks are coming from, and ease frustration caused by deaths that feel abrupt or unfair. We've heard your concerns regarding the impact this change will have on stealth oriented gameplay, and will keep those concerns in mind as we evaluate the feature in Live play.

Well, NO... I'm not coming back. Sorry, I dont play games where there is a "Cheat Cam" to expose stealthed or well hidden players, who try their best to stay hidden (camouflage armor, cloak, changing positions, etc...) and then getting exposed by the system at their first kill... Im done with PS
    • Up x 6
  2. Zagareth

And just for all the noobs here, who dont be able to track stealthed players w/o a death cam:

There is a hit indicator, which tells you from which direction the hits came from - if you dont pay attention, then you deserve to stay ignorant where your killer is

There is alo a little death map, with a red triangle from the direction of the killshot or, in case it was close, a red line that marks the direction more accurate.

There are also bullet tracer, which give away the position of a shooter...

If you still need a cam to your killer, him waving at you with a big sign and huge letters on it "HERE I AM, YOUR KILLER", then you deserve to die dumb as a rock... sorry, but killcams are BS
  3. AlcyoneSerene

Reddit on average seems to disagree. Comments about it I've heard relate to 'stealthy classes/equipment should simply relocate after a few kills' and to banish farming from good spots because 'they deserve it.' Also, 'it doesn't impact vets, they already know' - apparently.

Still, not an excuse to directly nerf stealth classes and equipment just to cater to the whole probably 10 BR15 players who complained, and quit the game by BR35 regardless of this wallhax.

Only thing to do in this scenario is to abuse the death cam as much as possible. Set traps, give away locations of vehicles and players to your squad, and, well, play more HA cause apparently that's the correct way to play a sandbox game.
  4. Lalatina

Rip my favotire class (SNIPER)
    • Up x 1
  5. Scatterblak

Disagreeing is immaterial. The fact remains that the killcam is a crutch that obviates the incentive to gain high/hidden ground by significantly reducing the advantages of such ground. It's a great bonus for LA's, HA's, etc., but classes like the infiltrator who depend on stealth and smart positioning have been hugely impacted and nerfed. "Good, we hate infiltrators, yay" -- if you're one of those folks and you really need that killcam crutch, at least don't admit it.
    • Up x 1
  6. TR5L4Y3R

infil is not just sniper you know ..
  7. Liewec123

but the kill cam is indeed death to sniping.
    with the prior cone it would tell you the area that you were shot from, but it wouldn't show you EXACTLY were the player was sitting.

the kill cam is the death of clever positioning.
    • Up x 2
  8. pnkdth

Sniping took a great hit but for other infil business I use it in the same way I use recon devices. If you can't see what I mean you're probably the type of player I am using it on <insert insufferable smug grin here>.

On the plus-side, campers get majorly screwed as well.
  9. 0fly0

Just that statement is enought to prove death cam is garbage...
    People say it's bad for sniping but imagine for stalker... i used to enjoy a stalker session from time to time after the massive fight and just stay behind ennemy line with crossbow in a tree or a roof but now **** that, try it the other day, kill a tryhard at 150 meters with crossbow, came for me 30 sec after that...
    Brainless dev killing their game, starting by ruinning every armor fight, add MAX event, like really free max event o_O and now killing the infiltrator class...
    Seriously devs, do us a favor and stop implementing the idea you have while smoking pot.
    • Up x 1
  10. Scroffel5

It was this, or direct nerf to Infiltrators. People here on the forums have been complaining forever that Infiltrators were OP, and there was a great divide caused by it. This "balances" Infiltrators. The other classes are much less affected, since you are probably watching them kill you because of the ranges at which they play. Infiltrators, on the other hand, kill you when you don't see them. Sniping is hurt, sure, but think about stalking, as 0fly0 said. You have to move after literally EVERY KILL because it says where you are. I'm fine with that, honestly. The death cam is an assist, but you can't act like you don't already play with things that could be counted as assists. Whenever you exploit the system when you know it is unbalanced, you are playing with an assist. They could add an implant or suit upgrade or something for Infiltrators to hide the death cam, or just use that minimap stealth implant to do that. Either way, it could be worse. You guys are getting mad over a death cam because you can't sit and farm forever now. They could have just outright nerfed the Infiltrator or any other class just because of complaints, but instead they just made it easier to find people.
  11. RRRIV

LAs have been negitively affected too because 1 or 2 kills reveals a flanking maneuver if you have a compitent squad or a semi compitent platoon enganged in the area. Also affects LA's locking down the outside of large outposts since you can see what floor they go to next or where they hide to recover sheilds.

yes, it affects them much less than infiltrators, but they are still an ambush class at the end of the day and ambushes dont work if you expect them (same vain as stalker infils).
    • Up x 2
  12. Trigga

No-one has yet mentioned the affect this has on vehicle gameplay.
    Using range and cover items often means an enemy vehicle will not know your exact position when you kill them, the most obvious example being MBT vs ESF.
    This is without mentioning the obvious, Wraith Flash.

As someone who is always in a squad with comms, the death cam is a massive advantage.
    As someone who always plays with his brother, whos computer is right next to mine, its gamebreaking for our enemies when they kill one of us, its instant 'revenge' by the other one.
    Not only can i see the enemies every move after the kill, i can see that theyre reloading....

I just hope the new player retention level has gone through the roof, because thats about the only saving grace this could offer.
    I strongly doubt we will ever see stats that support this, or that it is even the case.
  13. Trigga

Hossin tree top gameplay also pretty much destroyed by this cam.
  14. AlcyoneSerene

Player numbers seem at an all time low going by the trend, so I really doubt player retention has been improved by this.

Just yesterday, a random player who was dead spoke saying the infil is still here. I walk around, he says he's behind you. I quick 180 and surely enough he decloaks and I kill him instantly. This is a true story.

Not going to mention the endless revenge kills 'thanks' to the death cam no one asked for.

Glad vehicle play is also mentioned, since those also rely on ambush, stealth, and cloak, but all get the same nerf regardless.
  15. InexoraVC

Few steps after kill would fix "death camera issue". Jusg move your ***
  16. Exileant

:D It honestly is not all that bad. I do not notice a bit of diff when I am running infiltrator. o_O In fact if you are smart, you can use their death cam to your advantage. This is what happens when people constantly complain about Stealth. You people asked for this!!!!!! :p ADAPT PEOPE!!!!!
  17. OgreMarkX

Death Cam was an addition to the game that no PS2 player had asked for, none really wanted, but was desired by a design guy at DBG, so, naturally, we got it.

It was also likely related to work going on for PS:A, as was the "Lobby" work.

Expect no real bug fixes or additions to PS2.

The players who tried to claim that PS:A would lead to more work on PS2...were wrong. Adorable, but wrong.

PS2 has been, since PS:A was under development, a proving grounds for PS:A.

The same guy who said PS:A would be a hit ($) surely now blames PS2 (as opposed to the many obvious issues PS2 players raised when PS:A was announced). But hey, why listen to free market research. The market is just "toxic".

Now look where we are. Ya. Ain't it great!?
  18. Trigga

Thats kinda the issue though.
    Where does it say in the planetside rules that you cannot stand still?
    Where does it say you cannot camp?
    Where does it say you have to 'move your ***'?

Answer: It doesnt.
    So why after 6 years do the developers suddenly decide these playstyles are not viable, or not wanted?
    Why after 6 years of people practicing stalker cloak, learning exactly when to shoot and re-cloak to avoid being discoverred, do the developers suddenly decide that youre not allowed to play like this?

Its great that 'moving your ***' is how you like to play, im glad youre having fun, but there are people who have fun doing a less fast paced attack, they like stealthy gameplay.

It just simply doesnt make sense to limit playstyles in this sandbox MMO, the fact that its a mixture of different playstyles is part of what makes this game interesting. As a player i dont want my only option to be run and gun gameplay, because if i get bored of that i get bored of the whole game.

Imagine it the other way around for a second, image the devs somehow made it so you had to camp and you could no longer 'move your ***', the removal of run and gun gameplay would be the complaint.
    Its the removal of gameplay options that annoys people, forget what it actualy removes.
  19. OneShadowWarrior

They went overkill with the Deathcam and bounty system, essentially punishing players with better skill or positioning to sacrifice the veterans for the new player experience to make room for new blood. The Vets were the mainstream and they pretty much ended that in their 2020 Roadmap.

They are pretty much finished after releasing Arena showing Daybreak’s potential, it is clear they don’t have what it takes to create a new genre for Planetside.
  20. TR5L4Y3R

vets having been the mainstream is what makes this game stagnant still .. what´s the fooking point in a massive online fps when it´s only held alive by few?
    the deathcam may have not been the most liked solution .. is not like i asked for more inteloptions other than to have to rely on infils for years .. but hey this is what we´ve got now ..