Tomcats (a2a locks) op and fun-breaking

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jawarisin, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MahouFairy

So what does him repeating that nonsensical mantra have to do with anything with his stats or whatever? If you find it funny, it says something about you.

And it's true. Stats can be padded.
  2. Maljas23

You have made yourself clear that you do not understand what a hard counter is. Flares ARE a hard counter because they COMPLETELY prevent lock-on weapons from... locking on.

For further clarity, a soft counter is a counter that is intended to dominate something else. The best example is how a Skyguard is intended to counter air, but it isn't entirely preventing air traffic.

Had you said something offensive, you would have invalidated yourself even further. It is pretty ridiculous that you even thought of responding like that to my "civil" post.

Please end this charade.
    • Up x 3
  3. Jawarisin

There's sometime just no other way to answer. For instance, the post above (yours) is dumb. There's no other word for it, I could define it over a huge paragraph, but in the end, this one word's close enough that it will do, even if it might be slightly offensive. Since it's been said many times, but you don't seem to have the retention on it, here's something that someone just said, a pro-tomcat guy.

If you post another argument that has already been answered WAY too many times, or that's simply too obvious to be worth an answer , I will simply tell you where you might find the answer, and I won't bother answering myself.

PS: Zaspacer, the 2 lines above were NOT destined to you, they are for the other guy.
  4. Silkensmooth

Silkensmooth said:
    “Or when you have entire squads running them.

You might say that someone would die anyway coming up against a squad solo, but thats not true. If you see them from far enough you can outrun them. With the way the game currently renders enemies, it is more than likely you will not see the enemy planes until you are in lock on range. Once they see you, its game over. There is no possibility of retreat as there would be if they only had weapons that required aiming.”
    I agree that A2AM helps Gank Squads.

That said, usually we seen Reaver Gank Squads use Vortek/Mustang + After Burner, while Scythes are the ones using A2AM more heavily. Reaver is the fastest ESF with the Loadout for it, whereas Scythe is the slowest and the Gank Squads often need the A2AM to deal with opponents that run.

If you removed Lockons, it would give Reaver Gank Squads a huge edge over other Gank Squads.

Actually i posted the results of my tests here based on afterburners and speedframes and found that over 4 kilometers the reaver is only a couple seconds faster than the scythe. So no it wouldnt change much, not to mention scythes have the best gun in the saron laser cannon.
  5. Silkensmooth

Well that didnt work.

Anyway there seems to be this idea that the reaver is considerably faster than the scythe which isnt true.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/buff-afterburners.199209/

That there is the thread i made about the differences in speed of the various planes.

The scythe travels 4 km in 57 sec without ab tanks and 55 secs with ab tanks, while a reaver travels 4 kilometers in 55 secs without AB tanks and 52 seconds with AB tanks.

So as you can see over 4 kilometers there is only a 2 sec difference.

It certainly feels like the reaver is faster, but it isnt by much.

I did this test by setting a waypoint over 4km away then i got up to speed and started my stopwatch as close as possible to the 4km mark and then stopped it as close to zero km as i could. I repeated this test several times for each plane. The mosquito is slightly faster than the reaver again by 2 secs i think. 53 secs without AB tanks 51 With or something like that, its in the thread.
    • Up x 1
  6. MahouFairy

I think you should take Jawarisin's advice and not argue with that rock. :)

Remember his mantra.
  7. Foxirus

Oh? Having half my squad mowed down by a single ESF is pretty game breaking too. I also don't find it fun in the slightest. How about we just do away with ESF's? Everybody wins. You don't have to worry about A2A missiles ruining your fun, And I don't have to watch half my squad die to single ESF before we can counter it.

Your gentleman's agreement is a fool's agreement. You are simply trying to remove a solid counter to the ESF's who simply outrun G2A's. They rage because most of the time, You cannot out run another ESF.

If anything, Make A2A missiles 1 shot kill ESFs. You want to counter them? Drop that freebie 25% repair and use your flares. Lets really give you a reason to complain.
    • Up x 1
  8. Jawarisin

too dumb to be worth a reply
  9. Cz4rMike

my answers

1 shot ESF? Are you joking? You shouldn't be let near ANY project IRL.

You're a typical example of egocentric player who knows nothing about what he writes.
  10. Foxirus

Actually if you had read that better, You would have realized I was talking about my squad on the ground. We don't need to become better pilots because most of us are actually doing something to help our faction. You sitting in that ESF of yours? You can't cap a point, You can't revive allies, You can't touch anything under a roof, You can't repair vehicles... What good are you? Step off your high horse, Why the hell should we have to learn to fly or even waste resources on air units just to be an effective counter to stop your easy mode farming on the ones on the ground actually doing something?

As for the 1 shot comment, Yes, It was sarcastic. The OP is complaining about AA when AA in its current state is a complete ******* joke. A prime example today on Hossin, It took 3 burster maxes (THREE BURSTER MAXES) to drive off a lib and a few mossies. The lib never even came close to death, Only 2 mossies died, One of which died because it hit a tree.
    Obviously it was worth a reply since... Well.. You replied...
    • Up x 1
  11. MahouFairy

It actually takes intelligence to understand sarcasm. I'm not saying anything, but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't catch that. ;)

FS let's you survive longer against locks than flares? Oh all the better! Wow and I thought there was only 1 counter against them.

If FS and flares BOTH let you survive against locks, the why the H*ll are you complaining here?
    • Up x 1
  12. Demigan

NC Vanguard Shield is not a hard counter! Flares negate all possible lock-on damage for it's period, including already fired or new locks. Shield only protects against 2000 health worth of damage for 6 seconds but doesn't break locks. Therefore, Vanguard shield is not a hard counter and UP compared to flares!

I hope you are at the edge of your seat with indignation and want to tell me how OP the Vanguard shield is, as I hope you'll be able to see how useful the Flares are at the same time similar to the Vanguard Shield. I've run with them for most of the time I've flown, never jumped on the OP FireSupression bandwagon (double healing capabilities compared to ground vehicles? But no balance for the Flash for example who gets barely anything back?). I've been using those Flares since forever, and you have probably not used them as much. So I can tell you: Flares work perfectly. In one Flare you can avoid any ground lock-ons, search and kill some or get in close with an A2A Tomcat to render their weapon useless. The only scenario where this isn't possible is when your enemy surprises you and you don't know where he is (which comes down to waiting and seeing where the rocket comes from on your radar before deploying flares), in any other scenario, such as you surprise him or you both see and engage each other, you are at the advantage.
  13. Demigan

Vanilla Reaver Cruising speed: around 200 KPH
    Vanilla Mosquito Cruising speed: around 220 KPH
    Vanilla Scythe Cruising speed: not sure but not much slower than the Reaver, if it's slower at all.
  14. Cz4rMike

My answers.
  15. Hegeteus

If this thread would be a live being, it would be whimpering "kill me..."
    • Up x 2
  16. Jawarisin

I'm definetly on the upper end of the lib pilots, and that's not how I feel about them. But hey, if you have the balls for it, feel free to accept my invitation: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/anti-air-partisans-a-global-invitation.216620

Aw cmon you couldn't fly to save your life, please don't invent things. You know you can still prove me wrong in the aforementionned thread. And no, there is NO situation where a tomcat user will be at a disadvantage. Simply because with minimal skills, you can keep enemies lined up and far enough.

Lots of you talking about something you pulled out of nowhere, I don't believe for 1 second that you fly, except to drop yourself off with ejection seat at your next fight. Then again, you're welcome to prove me wrong.

Let me give you an analogy. for the vanguard shield/flares.

Imagine you're facing someone with a machine gun, and that person shoots 10 bullets/second, directly on you. 1 bullet and you die. Now, you got 2 options to protect yourself. A temporary shield that lasts 100 years and will absorb 31622400000 bullets (like a vanguard shield) OR a special armor with a one-time one-bullet use special magnet that will automatically attract a bullet away from you (basically, it will attract 1 bullet away) and will keep attracting bullets for 0.1 seconds.

So let's review this, you got the "soft counter" shield that can be broken after 100 years of effort, OR, the "hard counter" magnet that will curve a bullet and any other incoming bullet in the next 0.1s.
    I hope your life didn't depend on this choice, because from what I currently understand, you wouldn't live very old.

PS: I purposefuly exagerated the numbers just to make the difference more obvious, but the concept is the same.
  17. MahouFairy

Huh? Since when did I say they can be used together? 0.o I said BOTH of them allow you to survive against locks, just like saying e.g: pistols and rifles BOTH kill people, you don't need BOTH a pistol and a rifle at the same time to kill people.

Are you new to the English language?

Back to the point. I'm saying that there are now 2 counters against this "OP" weapon, so why are you complaining? We are discussing about whether A2A actually allows "noobs" to kill "pros" easily, or does it merely give them a chance to stand off against the "pros". Had it be the former, we would have agreed that they are OP and thus needed a nerf. But based on what you said, I think that we can agree that it's the latter, and therefore not OP.
  18. Cz4rMike

Not my fault your logic is so "strong". I have to assume what you meant instead of replying directly to any clear thought. Of that you have none.

Right now all I'm reading is a non logic of:
    "I'm saying that there are now 2 counters against this "OP" weapon, so why are you complaining?".

I'm still not sure where you were going with this. Did you suddenly decided that balance is fine and we should end the thread? Where was I complaining? I just replied to a guy who wrote nonsense. You replied to me, I replied back. I'm discussing the same stuff the thread was made about. Who told you FR or Flares are counters? Based on WHAT I SAID, the only counter is my skill.
  19. MahouFairy

Yeah, so your counter is your skill. Great! Now we have more evidence that Tomcats don't turn "n00bs" into pros overnight. Thus not OP. Anything else?

Edit: you replied to a guy who wrote nonsense, which turned out to be you not getting his point at all. And then you end of with "you are the type of... who doesn't know what he is writing" . Well, turned out that you don't understand what you're reading either, considering that you didn't even understand my response to you in the first place.
  20. Cz4rMike

You can't decide if something is OP or not by the fact that pros can deal with noobs using OP weapon. :D

That's wrong and no one except you does it like that. In fact ALL the OP weapons that have been in PS2 (and other games) could be dealt with by tremendous skill difference or outsmarting. I never saw anyone say: oh, you see, you still have a hardcore way of countering that "OP" weapon, thus not OP. I saw people kill aimbotters. I guess aimbot not OP, right? :D

Or maybe you think that when a sprinter beats someone who started on half distance, it still was a fair race, and having half distance to finish is "balanced", right?

PS don't even defend the other guy. You're just making yourself look bad. Matter of fact he had NO mentioning of his INFANTRY squad. No one would assume that he didn't speak of air. That would be crazy in an a2a thread.

My reading is perfectly fine. I don't think you have any idea about what balance means.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.