Upcoming Tank and Liberator Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kevmo, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flag

I'm paranoid.
  2. FBVanu

as the saying goes: just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't following you...

happy father's day everyone.
  3. PKfire

S..son?
  4. Dinapuff

Hahaha. Right you are. When the enemy has air control the ground peasants huddle together in an attempt to garner strength in numbers.

The only reason this is such a common thing in the zerg is because they don't know when they themselves have air control. That is the nature of being unorganized, self reliant and ignorant of the battlefield at large. WASP can usually flank whenever we want to. Because we always aim to have air control.

You can't honestly suggest that MBT's should be able to flank without heeding the general rules of warfare?
  5. Fenrisk

I think your confusing ground forces with libs. The reason Tank's move as a group is because they have a lot of hard counters against them that can and will destroy them in seconds. AV turrets, Lib's, ESF's, Phoenixes, C4, Mines other tank AP rounds, dumb fires and so on.

All a lib has to worry about is playing like a idiot and flying directly into 2 or 3 skyguards otherwise they always have plenty of time to get back into friendly airspace/AA to repair when AA scratches their paintwork.

Tanks and infantry are designed around the concept of combined forces. Even ESF's are designed around that concept as skyguards/walkers do shred them. Lib's are not designed around combined forces as they have no hard counter and plenty of armour/resistances to go to toe toe with anything. They are also a hard counter to anything due to the sheer power of the shredder/tank buster. Libs are a hard counter for max's, infantry, AA and tanks and they can handle ESF's.

In a combined arms game libs should fear AA as much as a Tank fear's AP/Tank buster. Libs should rely on ESF's to protect them from other ESF's and rely on ground forces to take out AA. Lib's shouldn't even be touching AA solo. The fact that they can and do shred AA sets them a part from all other balance in this game.
    • Up x 6
  6. Flag

Lol, WASP.

That aside, the thing is that air dominance is too important, and it's a state of a fight that no other part of the game is allowed to enforce.

When you say general rules of warfare, do you mean "bow down to air or get #rekt" ?
    • Up x 3
  7. Vortok

That video makes me think of a couple things, since PS1 is viewed as something akin to a holy grail by half this community.

First, the velocity of the shells those Vanguards were firing looked.... not super speedy. Almost certainly slower than our current AP guns (heck, maybe slower than our HE shells), yet PS1 vehicles got along just fine by most accounts.

Second, the Vanguard drove around a lot. Never got a chance to play PS1 myself, but looks like rear armor weakness wasn't a thing back then which is likely why the tanks were able to be so mobile - much like Harassers are (or were, before the nerf train came to town at least) due to that vehicle also lacking such a directional weakness. Battle Sundies (rare mythical beast they may be), if equipped with blockade armor, actually have a rear armor strength instead of a weakness.

Repairs are handled differently in PS2 compared to PS1 though, so calling for a removal of tank's rear armor weakness may just lead to more issues (though slower repair speed of recently damaged vehicles can be done, fairly sure it works that way with infantry health and mediguns). Not that I think having a rear armor weakness is inherently bad - it merely lends itself to a different style of play and driving style compared to a vehicle without such a weakness. The reverse speed changes seem to be aiming at encouraging a different driving style from the current norm though, so it may be worthwhile to find the actual goal of the changes and then consider alternatives that can potentially meet that same objective.

Or we can just continue to whine about how we don't like things without actually providing anything constructive. That works too. #forumside
  8. Ranik

The big differences between PS1 and PS2 armor.

No directional armor.

About 2-3 x more HP comparatively. Or at least lifespan.

The MBT's weren't as agile at speed as they are in PS2.

The MBT's had a dedicated driver and a dedicated gunner and required you to cert into them to use them at all.

AV was not nearly as prevalent as in PS2 and required you to cert into them to use them.

PS2's biggest faults are the last two.
    • Up x 3
  9. LT_Latency

How are those the biggest faults?? You think only people who play allot should get get to use them??
  10. Ranik

PS1 cert system != PS2 cert system.

You could be in a MBT within an hour on PS1.

The difference is, you could only be certed into so many things at once. Meaning you could be a Combat medic + engineer + tanker + AMS driver. But not have AV + heavy armor + Combat engineering etc etc.

It created established roles and meant that in any given fight any one person couldn't be anything/everything exactly when they needed to be. In PS2 if you see a sunderer you just immediately go LA and C4 it. If you see a lib you go AA max or Heavy assault. If you see a lot of dead people you just go combat medic.

In PS2 you CAN do everything at once or at least within 20 seconds to change class. And the game is worse for it.
    • Up x 6
  11. LT_Latency

Yuck, I wouldn't want to be only one thing the whole time.
  12. Ranik

Then you didn't read a word I wrote. You could be multiple things at once. Just not EVERYTHING within 20 seconds.

Big difference. If you can't see that difference then it's your problem not mine.
  13. LT_Latency

Game looks very different. Looks like there is a hard divided between vehicle(outside) and infantry(inside) fights also seemed like smaller battles of 20vs20
  14. LT_Latency

And i switch based on what on what to do on a given life.
  15. Ranik

And that's exactly what you could do in PS1. You could do multiple things / classes but you just couldn't do everything all at once.

Pay attention please.
  16. Flag

Bases -> infantry
    Not bases -> Vehicles

That's the gist of what I've been told by the PS1 players I've asked.
    • Up x 1
  17. LT_Latency

Then it's not different. if you can just respawn and switch to what you want to be.

You can't be a heavy or a sniper at the same time either In this game.
  18. PKfire

: / are you really not picking up what he is saying?
    • Up x 1
  19. Ranik

I'm sorry you aren't smart enough to actually recognize the difference. Perhaps one day you'll actually figure it out.

He's not exactly smart. Don't tease him too much.
  20. LT_Latency

Running back to sundy is the same thing as respawning. It's a spawn point. You have to go back to a spawn point to change your load out.

If you are trying to argue you have to die to switch in planetside1. That is hardly a big change.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.