Upcoming Tank and Liberator Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kevmo, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plgf

2. ScrapyardBob

And once again... game populations fall another X% because the developers (Higby, etc.) refuse to use the SOE forums to engage with the players who are paying the bills and keeping the lights on. Why are the developers arguing their case on Reddit instead of here?

The fact that they are pushing changes onto PTS already, without modification to the original proposal, even *after* player feedback is a bit insulting. And yet another example of developers who refuse to justify or explain their actions in the official forums, then wonder why the player-base dwindles month after month.

We told you that making tank maximum reverse speed be equal to maximum forward speed to be a bad idea... yet it's in the PTS patch notes.

We told you that increasing shell drop - would not have the effect that you want, and will instead, make playing a MBT driver/gunner even more unsatisfying - as if you are lobbing potatoes at the enemy.
    • Up x 4
  3. Klypto

Well, it will improve HE effectiveness making it more exciting when my screen flashes non-stop with kill feeds and certs.

All those infantry tears.

[IMG]

====

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  4. Dinapuff

That is one of the general rules of warfare. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less true.
  5. Flag

This is a game, not a real life battlefield.
    Fun > all. And while I'm sure the situation is fun for you (I'm certain your fav. vehicle is the Lib no? Seen you in it many times), the overarching experience is less than it could or should be.
    • Up x 3
  6. Dinapuff

A lib flying low or overstaying its welcome has to worry about all of your mentioned tank threats, has little to no cover from terrain, and if it goes higher it renders from everything within two hexes.

In a combined arms game you either pull a lot of AA and remain relatively safe or you don't and get shredded by air.

It's been like this since ww2.
    The gunships and transport flights get sufficient armour / protection to carry out their role and they carry it out. IF the enemy does not achieve at least air parity - which is the lowest level of air control, where one side only controls the skies above friendly troop positions then everything gets bombed to **** and dies.

Flak or lock on missiles are not protection against enemy air. They are deterrents that require a disproportionate use of manpower.

That is how real warfare works and since this game is designed with some of those interactions in mind then that is the effect SOE achieved.

Be glad that the gunships were designed with fairness in mind. Real ones carry upwards of 30 flares, carry significantly higher alpha strike potential, and don't have to deal with infantry render distances nor do they come with range limitations on their sights.
  7. Flag

Real gunships gets crippled by a single missile. A proxy-explosion can be enough to knock it out of the sky.
    And if they were to ever be hit by a tank round, they'd also fall out of the sky.

Don't quote real warfare as a balance point only when it serves your cause.
    Just leave it by the door.
    • Up x 5
  8. Dinapuff

I disagree. Without significant incentives and advantages there is no reason to take to the skies.

The "fun" for infantry can be had in biolabs and other bases that limit air by design. We already see the effect of more accessible AA on Amerish. It is somewhat harder to "do" air there. SOE will hopefully get back to redesigning Indar once hossin and continent locking is in the game.

As far as I am concerned the concerns for MBT's are not valid. The lightning is too fragile when alone and the MBT would rather go 1/2 than have gunners use AA secondaries.

They could have given you SAM batteries and skyguard primaries, but instead of asking for them you cry for nerfs to lib.
  9. Dinapuff

I am not quoting it as a balance point. I am quoting it as a design point. The devs want air control to matter. Ergo the rewards for it attaining and maintaining it are high and the potential for a single player to deflect it are low.
  10. Mystogan

I won't get closer in my Vanguard. If I can kill (becasue I postition myself well, flank and spot) one of 5 prowlers that is in my range, while being in cover from other 4, snipe sunderer far away when I see only his little piece behind the rock, snipe running smoking tank- Why I should try to get closer to achieve the same kill and get killed much faster?

That is just stupid. Tanks are (in games and in RL) long-range vehicles. And so I will just aim higher, becasue i didn't put thousands of certs into my Vangaurd wit 450 resources to just lose it every 5 minutes, becauce dev team thinks "it is more fun!".

Rushing tank is dead tank.

Smart tank is snipe tank.
    • Up x 8
  11. Scr1nRusher

maybe they want to sell more HE tank rounds :p.
  12. WTSherman

Like I said, the issue is that aircraft are not supposed to be durable.

Durability, mobility, firepower. Pick two.

Aircraft automatically get mobility: they are the fastest class of vehicle in the game and can move in full 3D space, their mobility is completely unmatched.

The Liberator is currently the second most durable vehicle in the game, the Galaxy is first.

The Liberator currently has more firepower than any other vehicle in the game.

Something's got to give. Cutting mobility and firepower on the Lib don't make sense, therefore it needs to be less durable and tweaked so that it is more capable of leveraging mobility. The Liberator's staying power needs to be drastically reduced.

Really the Galaxy has no business being as durable as it is either (it would make more sense if it got a smaller model and gained some speed), but that's a separate and currently less game-breaking issue.
    • Up x 5
  13. JibbaJabba

If you want more interesting tank battles then it needs to be FAR easier for tanks to fire on the run. Cannon stabilization is going to help immensely. However making shots 2 dimensional instead of 3 dimensional is really what you're after.

Desired effect:
    • At short ranges shell drop should be negligible. Crosshairs on enemy tank=fire.
    • At Medium ranges shell drop should be low enough that gunner skill allows single shot hit (from stationary gun to stationary target) with no bracket shots needed.
    • At long ranges, shell drop should be significant. It should be necessary to stop the tank and use bracket shots before being able to hit.

Suggestion on how to accomplish:
    Keep gravity high.
    Increase muzzle velocity significantly (nearly double).
    Increase air resistance significantly.
    Make shots "spiral" towards target, further increasing long range difficulty.

At short/medium range the high muzzle should allow crosshair-on-target firing.
    At long range the air resistance will drop shot velocity to the point where gravity / spin puts a serious hurting on aiming.
  14. PKfire

I really find it bizarre that SMGs have a significantly higher velocity than tank rounds.
    • Up x 2
  15. Scr1nRusher

thats bizarre.....
  16. Corporate Thug

I find it bizarre that the developers were saying "competitive" and "MLG" when they talked about PS2 yet allowed droves of players to primarily use vehicles to camp and kill infantry, the only units that actually matter in regards to the game's objectives.

Everything should be earned, even the ability to pull a vehicle. I think it's horrible when you allow people advantages for no reason. Everyone should be required to perform every role on the battlefield, perhaps then we can get the correct items buffed or nerfed with out all this whining and bias. Too many people excelling at shooting fish in a barrel for real competition. Very few people actually improving their game play with out leaning too hard on a particular class or weapon type. And only the tiniest portion of players are actually good at this game and well rounded enough to be effective no matter what they do.
  17. PKfire

: /
    • Up x 3
  18. Corporate Thug

If you require people to earn vehicles then they will be used in a tactical fashion. Unlike how they are just currently pulled because people have the ability to do so. There is nothing wrong with wanting use a specific vehicle but so many feel entitled and think that other things should be altered to make themselves useful, instead of analyzing the battle and using the right unit for the job. Vehicles should be strategic not spammed.

By requiring people to perform other roles then they will understand the difficulties with things other than what they like doing most. It would help to eliminate bias and the game would also be more competitive. Some will be more effective with certain units than others but will help players appreciate just how dynamic this game can be and promote actual team work. At the moment it just feels stale. The same people doing the same things, mostly what they want to do and not what needs to be done. We simply don't appreciate how dynamic PS2 is, instead we cherry pick fights. Every battle is worth fighting regardless of how badly you are performing.

You don't have to agree with my post or other opinions because none of it even matters. These forums are here for entertainment only. We can argue or agree and none of it will matter to the people who actually do when it comes to this game's development since they don't even read it.
  19. Zar

games are supposed to be fun let people play what they want to play i for one play medic cause running through hails of bullets is fun for me i also love flying. if you "force" me to do anything id quit the game no fun in that its not a ******* job.
    P.S i run through hails bullets to rez people some times i even make it back !
    • Up x 1
  20. PKfire

On the other hand, I think specialization akin to what PS1 had would do wonders for this game. Limiting the classes/weapons/vehicles one has access to at any given time along with the gradual re-spec process PS1 also had.
    • Up x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.