Buff the Magrider 2014.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LIKE A BOSS!, Feb 8, 2014.

1. LIKE A BOSS!

It's a weird phenomenon right ?
  2. Mxiter

Missing a sitting prowler/vanguard under 300m is a skill problem.

Aiming the center of the mass of a magrider:

[IMG]

Now do it at 300m with a vanny/prowler gun.
    Then do it at 100m with a dumb fire RL.
    • Up x 3
  3. Mut0mb0

i dont think the Magrider is too weak, but you have to invest heavily into it.(not only certs, but time and training).
    the gameplay for every turret based tank is pretty much the same, the mag needs a very different approach.
    the performance of the mag depends on the sync between driver and gunner.
    and I think thats a great thing!
    its the only MBT that isnt a simple upgrade from the lightning. It can be, but it takes some effort.
    A Prowler or Vanguard Pilot is always in control, while a Mag Pilot is in the hands of his gunner, when it comes to situational awareness.

I would like an approach like this for the Vanguard and Prowler, too.
    Not the same thing, but a mechanic, that forces the pilot to invest more time into his gameplay, to get something out of it.
    • Up x 1
  4. Landaren

Well, we can go into some really sweet spots. I dont see many other tanks shooting into bases on esamir in the off the wall (literally) locations like the mag. I dont look at the rocks as obstacles, I look at them like ramps or landing pads.
  5. Meeka

Yes, the Magrider excels at mobility.

And yes, it's the only tank with gyroscopic main gun... meaning, as you move, your aim adjusts... other tanks do not have this. Which is a benefit to your ability to slide back and forth sideways while maintaining smooth firing. Also, magboost... the ability to get you in or out of battle situations in a heartbeat. Or, hovering, which lets you put your tank into strategic places no other tank can reach (and I wish they could)... or even hover over enemy vehicles for quick escapes/trick turns.

If you're trying to use the Magrider like any other tank, you'll fail. It would be like trying to use the Prowler as a Vanguard or a Vanguard as a Prowler. All these tank's strengths are also their weaknesses, just like the Magrider. The Vanguard is slow and bulky, and that same slow and bulkiness is what makes it an easy target. The Prowler is fast and agile, but that speed and agility also makes it difficult to hit a target while rolling over rough ground, or it's locked down which makes it an easy target. You don't compare MBT from the same factions, they each excel in their own way.

And any tank with an average gunner becomes useless; that's not specific to the Magrider.
    • Up x 4
  6. Landaren

Uh, if by adjusts you mean when i hit a rock it doesnt bounce all over the place thats because the mag isnt on the ground.

Ever line up the best shot ever only to have a lightning/harrasser/OTHER MAGRIDER drive under you throwing your aim up/down 1000 meters?

Grass is greener for sure with the "stablized turret" nonsense.
  7. DeadlyShoe

This is because of netcode, and design decisions likely aimed at limiting the impact of hacking and bad connections causing rage.

The only client who determines whether a player is run over or not is that of the player being run over. The player being run over never sees him or herself where a driver sees him/her, unless the player is standing still. If someone gets run over, it's because they were run over on THEIR screen.

What this means in practice: If you see a friendly running across a road from right to left, and try to pass them to the right, you will almost always run them over. Their 'real' position is a few meters to the right of what you see. By trying to avoid them you seal their fate. Conversely, if you see an enemy running across a road from right to left and try to run them over, you may not succeed if you drive directly at them - because again, their 'real' position is a few meters to the right of what you see.

So: Always aim in FRONT of enemies you are running over, and BEHIND friendlies to avoid them.
    • Up x 7
  8. lyravega

Magrider was faring very well, and its ES secondary weapons were unmatched.
    • Up x 2
  9. Devrailis

As someone who has been driving the Lightning a lot recently and who has repeatedly run over friendlies who I swear I was dodging, I can confirm this to be 100% true. It's not uncommon to road-kill friendlies without ever looking like you touched them, because only their screen determines whether or not the roadkill happens.
    • Up x 2
  10. jiggu

As soon as you try to close up for C4 they always just randomly kill you without even seeing you just by naturally avoiding enemy fire.
    • Up x 1
  11. Xasapis

Nop, the Magrider does NOT have a gyroscopic main gun. The only thing the tank itself has is a lot better suspensions. Beyond that, it's exactly the same as the other tanks, aka none has gyroscope. Moreso for the Magrider, since the slight move of the body would ruin the gyro aim anyway, if it actually existed.
  12. deggy

Its ES secondaries were unmatched because they were the only ones being used. Vanguards and Prowlers simply can't compare their secondary usage to the amount of use the Saron gets.
  13. asmodraxus

How about this we nerf the prowlers and the vanguards main guns to the same level as that of the magriders, slow speed nasty arc (i.e. same damage over time, just different flavor of how its done, Prowler low damage per shot but rapid fire, vanguard highish damage but lousy reload, mag in between, assume engagement time is 5 minutes), then buff all empires secondary AV weapons on tanks, to punish those that fail to grab a gunner.

A lightning vs a 1/2 MBT should be a even fight
    A lightning vs a 2/2 MBT should just go 1 way
  14. MonnyMoony

I'm certing into my Magrider at the moment - and i'm pretty happy with it.

Only thing i'd like to see sorted at the moment is - make it harder to flip.

Fine if you are a spanner and take it down a vertical cliff face, you deserve all you get - but I keep being flipped over onto my back by overzealous Lightnings and other Magriders - resulting in a suicide.
  15. Clockwerk

Magrider SHOULD be able to Magburn sideways. The Vang shield ability GUARANTEEs the effect upon the tank to live 8 seconds longer and able to deal damage while the shield is up (Which is f king broken to be honest), and so is the Prowler Lockdown with a GUARANTEE damage effect. Mean while, when you activate Magburn, you always endup with the "so what" moment. Yes, I can travel a BIT farther in a short amount of time, but what's the immediate effect? almost all of the hills that I climbed with a Magrider was easily done without a Magburn while there are those hills that is impossible even with a Magburn. If your argument is that Magburn helps the Magrider to escape the unpredictable situation then it does not even stand a chance in gameplay. Rear armor is ALWAYS the problem with a Magburn Magrider, and I've been shot down while Magburn away so many time that at some point I just equip different utility to help me survive a bit better.
  16. LordCreepy

WELL IF you manage to actually lockdown the Prowler since they fixed the physic model of standing vehicles.
    More so often you will press deploy and simply nothing happens...
    I've seen Magdrivers on Miller reach hills with magburn that are even impossible for Harassers to reach.
    The real problems with the Magrider can't be fixed so easily.

It doesn't perform well solo and requires 2/2 more than the other tanks.
    It doesn't work well with frontline tank rush "tactics" - or in other words you can tank zerg better with the other two.
    And the Magrider requires an experienced driver to use the tank to it's maximum effect - much more than the other two ( Prowler has the 1/2 dps and Vanguard the Skillbutton)
    However IF you have a good driver and gunner in a Magrider it's still the deadliest tank to flank vehicle zergs with - which can net high amounts of exp.
    If you buff the Magrider too much, you'll tip the balance and it will end up as the overpowered tank it was in the beginning.
  17. Clockwerk

Well, if Harrasser can reach up to any hill that a Mag can then I wouldn't even bother to play Magrider in the first place and just max out the Harrasser.

You really don't need to buff the Mag too much aside its Magburn ability. Either rework it or let the Mag to be able Magburn sideway for a truly Strafing.
  18. Dis

I've spent my fair share of time in a magrider; I can assure you it's just fine.

If you're trying to engage vannies in close quarters, well...you're doing it wrong.
    • Up x 4
  19. Shockwave44

You can stop reading from the description in the game.
  20. Shockwave44

Right, because its effective at long range where the vanguard can still hit the magrider because the vanny has fastest and most damaging projectile. Oh and the magrider has that giant arch which makes it hard to hit anything at long range.

Vague statement. You can say that about anything.

Same goes for any tank.

Friendlies not enemies.

What does that even mean?

Pops shield, game over.

Shield prevents that from happening.

Any other useless tidbits you'd like to add?