K/D shouldn't matter to you

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pie Chasm, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAntiFish

I find this ridiculously offensive.
    Who exactly has been researching the correlation between Planetside 2 playstyles and successful personal lives?
    Don't give me any of your basic psychological profiling nonsense, reality doesn't work generically.
    Really? Try getting headshots with a suppressed bolt action at 300m on moving targets. Then we'll talk about low skill caps.
    • Up x 2
  2. Sock

Typical underachiever response.
  3. Yuukikun

- i said there are other stats exactly because we can't rely on other people's honesty in all cases

- guarding a sunderrer in now way makes you a skilled player, and even if you are a skilled player getting a handful of kills only, you won't die and the others who are getting many more might die just as much.

- positioning yourself to be in CQC and winning is part of skill. Skill is not only about aim and click or else snipers would be the most skilled players of the universe.

- UBGL there's a reason it's called noobtube, i remove kills from this kind of weapons from people's K/D.

- biolab fights are probably the best place to see people's skill in Infantry vs infantry.

- and once again, stats are NOT the only and absolute way to see if a person is skilled, it's an indicator. Let's put it this way, if you check someone's stats who claims he's the best, and his K/D is 0,2 playing mostly MAX and HA, you know he sucks. If you check someone's stats and his K/D is 2, mains medic or HA, you know he has good chances of being a good player. Then you can see the other stats in search of padding, for exemple, average accuracy with a heashot rate of 20%+ would mean he's probably a spawn warrior, very low SPH would mean he is a zerg hugger, etc.

- videos are probably the worst way to see if a player is skilled, considering people would only show you their best plays, unless you watch a stream.
  4. TheAntiFish

What, My pointing out that said research does not exist? Or my use of logic based on reality?
    Or the fact that i don't like people using utter fiction to back up their claims.

Oh i'm sorry, it's probably that you're one of those LA's with a 3.64 K/Dr earned against very bad odds that is chauffeured to work each morning to his job as Christina Hendricks bra.
    • Up x 1
  5. Nerd Mode

There isn't a singular, definite "according to Hoyle" method to measure or define skill in a complex game. You need to look at more than just KDR or KPM because those stats can be misleading...to a point. A player with a high KDR and high KPM can be hiding behind his outfit, never going solo, never taking risks; it's hard to tell without observing the player. A person with low accuracy and high KDR could be a guy who knows how to get the drop on his enemy due to years of experience playing FPS's; someone with low KDR and high accuracy could be someone doesn't give a **** or has poor awareness but he's just plain good so it doesn't matter. A player with low KPM and high KDR could be someone who spends a lot of time AFK or doing things that aren't high speed or prefers to lay in and ambush ghost cappers one at a time or run around tech plants terrorizing singles. That low KDR player could be getting 10 frames per second and that high KDR guy could be rolling with nothing less than 60 fps. The list goes on and on.

But...I've rarely seen someone with a high KDR who is a poor player. That's a sad reality to those who are cannon fodder more often than not. KDR can show efficiency and awareness levels, but what's a "good KDR"? I don't know nor do I care what the decided numbers are but I do know what I gauge myself at. Some days I have bad days, others are good. I prefer to have more good days and I'm sorry, I don't have fun when I'm not doing my best. Regardless, stats do matter to some people and I think they are a fairly quasi-accurate way of determining skill. I'm sure there are players with sub- 1.0 KDR's that are god-like players, but I doubt it. Doesn't mean that those players are "bad" but are they bringing something positive to the effort? You tell me.

And the misconception that people with low KDR are better team players because they're playing the objective more than high KDR players is akin to saying that an alcoholic blind person makes a great parent because they're always home.
    • Up x 3
  6. Sock

Keep your chin up. With a better work ethic you could be as good as me one day.
    • Up x 1
  7. Posse

-Biolabs are not necessarily the place where you can get the most kills, any base can be the best farm provided certain conditions are met, but the place where it's usually the easiest to get a ton of kills are the towers (also the most fun, we need more vertical buildings in this game).

-If you're driving a sundy then that's time spent inside the sunderer, afaik that doesn't affect any weapon's KPM

-You will only be guarding a sundy a minor fraction of the time, if your KPM is 0.95 or 1 doesn't really make a difference, it won't make your KPM cut down in half.

-As for the UBGL weapons... again, only a minority of the weapons, you don't want to look at it? Great, look at his performance with the other weapons (in fact I ignore them too), and if he only uses the UBGL, well, compare him with the other noobtubbers to see who's the best noobtubber :D
  8. Yuukikun

I've had psychology classes in college and you should try to read people's post because in no way i said being good in Planetside2 means we will have a more successful life. I said people who like to challenge themselves in everything they do have more chances of having success than people who only go for the easy way in everything, and then i made an example with my way of giving myself challenges in planetside. it doesn't mean i'll be successful i have no idea, but i am used to challenging myself and i believe perseverance is a very important quality to have. As an additional example, people who want the easiest ways in everything will very strongly reflect this behaviour in games such as vehicle spawn campers and liberator ****** for example.

i hope you're not serious about your second statement. aim is only a fraction of what skill is. when you are a sniper you have relatively an infinite amout of time to aim before shooting. All you need to know is the lead you have to do and if the person changes direction (considering i assume you,re not the baddie who only shoots at idle players) then you miss no matter how good you are. Once you get the hang of your sniper's bullet drop and velocity for basic distances, which takes a few days (i'm being generous here) your kd can vary from 3 to 500 pretty much only based on luck. Shoot -> cloak + move a bit -> shoot. You have no stress, you have all the time you want, the skill cap is pretty low.

I'd suggest you try to go 1v2 in medium range where you are getting shot and being able to get spot, or go in CQC where you have to aim in less than 0,5 seconds or else you die, where the target can actually leave your field of view (which never happens when you are sniping and your targets move at 0,5 cm/second on your screen). You know a place where you don't have unlimited time to aim, don't have to move while you aim, only need to hit 1 time on target to get the kill.
  9. Nerd Mode

Some people discount UBGL weapons, sniper rifles and MAX kills. Why stop there? C-4, dumbfire RL's, shotguns and vehicles are all just as noobish IMO, so let's discount those too, I know I do. /hypocrisy
  10. Posse

The UBGL is a particular case, it's been called noobtube and banned from competitions in many games for a reason.

Btw...

Best analogy I've read in a while :D
  11. Nerd Mode

The UBGL may cause great anger due to its ease of use and high reward factor, but it's in the game so even if I don't choose to use it I really don't care if others do. If I ran around getting mad at everyone's choice of weapons I'd not be happy till we were all punching each other to death outside The Crown. Oh, and thank you, I try to infuse a nugget of wisdom in my posts from time to time.
  12. TheAntiFish

Your exact words were
    Apologies for semantics, but even in context it seems like you're claiming a link between two unrelated traits.

With my 10fps in CQB i'm at a bit of a disadvantage at point blank. Biolabs aren't an option for me.

However i find your dismissal of my class pretty unfair. While agree knowing your bullet drop is important, Do you know how hard it is to headshot a medic at 300m that won't stand still due to his unwillingness to be headshotted? How about the ability to predict exactly where that enemy infiltrator is going to decloak and fire before he does exactly that? His unsuppressed bolt action will kill you if you can see him before you've fired.
    How about those shots on mid-air LA's? anyone running along a slope/hill? the fact that within 30 seconds you can be within firing range of the next connected base to ruin the day of every AV turret waiting for your friends? taking down a WinShielded HA with a pistol because he's randomly stumbled upon your firing platform? avoiding the multiple tanks/harassers fighting their way around you while accurately lining up shots on moving targets at max render distance (Not always, usually 200m for me)?

You get a relatively infinite amount of time to fire, On the first shot. Everything after that kicks up a notch.

But then i only spend 75% of my playtime as an infiltrator. I'm only 39% accurate with my EM4 Longshot. Which isn't the best rating out there... however i don't know many players that take my approach. With suppressed headshots on running targets with a 2 second lead time at long range, I think that takes a lot more skill than you're giving it credit for.

If i had 30fps i'd happily LA around the place shotgunning people in the face, but personally i consider that a "Low skill ceiling" as no thought goes into it, it's again about aim, placement and approach. You can't generalize with these things as you'll miss out on a lot of the nuances that make a class shine.

Infiltrators, Always underated.
    • Up x 1
  13. Pie Chasm

Naw, you're bad, because you lack a basic understanding of the game and it's fairly evident in the lack of substance in your posts.

Some great debate skills you have there.
    Let's start from that: "every single stat out there" includes deaths, kills, assists, score, etc.

Do you necessarily include faction balance for a given continent, where is that included? What about the number of enemy players in the given base the player was assaulting? I'm pretty sure that's not accounted for.

If you include enough variables you can explain everything, that's obvious, but K/D, SPM and everything else tracked etc. is not sufficient in a game where you can buy boosts and have inherent imbalances.
  14. Pie Chasm

Establishing credentials? I don't consider any of the given tracked stats a valid credential in this game. You're basically assuming you're right and don't want to argue.

If I prove a statement formally, then I don't need to show credentials.

2+2=4 as defined by the addition operator on the field of Reals does not require any credentials... it simply is and that's why you argue a statement instead of resorting to ad hominem.
  15. Posse

But as you said, it's easy to use and gives a high reward, so having a high KDR with that weapon doesn't necessarily reflect skill, that's the reason why I'd ignore it when analyzing a player's skill based solely on stats.

It was actually hyperbole, not every single stat out there is actually useful. SPM can be misleading because of boosts, so the only use I have for it is in the extremes, a guy with 400+ SPM is probably a good player, with or without boosts, the opposite for a guy with 100 or less SPM, the point is, you have to look at the whole picture, when looking at the whole picture, KDR has a meaning.

Oh, and in the long run, all those other things mentioned tend to be similar across every player, at least for every player of the same faction, the average VS on Waterson probably faces the same odds I face on average. And in the end, skill trumphs everything else, that's the reality, that's why good players get good stats even with crappy weapons like the NS-15, a good player will have high KDR or KPM, no matter what odds he's facing (and those players are usually intelligent enough to avoid going into a 1v20 fight) or what weapon he's using. Yes, the good players will get high KDRs while playing medic or engineer too.
  16. Interlude

Plot twist: Pie Chasm is actually Vonic and he'll link his stats on page 10. You heard it here first.
    • Up x 2
  17. Pie Chasm

The bureaucracy needs to expand to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy if you get my point.

Playing 1v20 can be very intelligent if you're trying to delay cap and sabotage a sunderer, depleting their resources.

In fact, efficiency is a very interesting aspect of this game that is never considered; it isn't efficient to have 20 players cap a small base with less than 2 defenders, given the other 18 are capping at the same/faster rate.

I've seen alerts get thwarted by a handful of people delaying an entire biolab, or tech plant cap with teamwork... you could argue that they got a higher K/D than the larger crowd, but that wasn't the case for the one guy who killed the lone sunderer and died in the process, or the engineer in the crowd of 20 who never left his lightning.

Even if you play as infantry and dedicate yourself to healing, diving into the MAX parade to sacrifice yourself with C4 (that your friend gets the kill for.. you can do that, you know), you can make a huge impact on the progression of the enemy death ball to a tech plant while getting little reward for it through certs, kills etc.
  18. Nerd Mode

The UBGL isn't the only easy weapon to use in this game, and having 2 rounds in the pipe with a slow reload doesn't really translate to god-mode weaponry. What's ez moad and what isn't can be purely subjective and up for debate 'round these parts. The only real way to determine absolute skill levels, IMHO, is to observe someone playing. In other news, I got the killing blow on a 9/12 sundy the other night with my Decimator...my arm still hurts from patting myself on the back so much. =|
  19. Yuukikun

-NS weapons are a good way to compare players of different factions when some players call one faction OP.

-As a player going in 1v20 fights, i feel offended </3 these ridiculous odds are a good challenge for me, ofcourse i won't claim that i can defend alot of bases with these odds, but you can be sure that i make them regret ghost capping with tons of deaths. Sometimes i can even buy enough time for reinforcements to realize there's someone trying to defend a base under attack.
    I may be ''not intelligent'' but i'm having fun :3
  20. Pie Chasm

DasAnfall, Mattherson, K
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.