Test Patch Notes - 8/1/2013

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by JGood, Aug 1, 2013.

1. LlamagoMmmm

Hehe, im training with dat solo lib ;)
  2. DeadliestMoon

Don't most pilots already do that?
  3. DeadliestMoon

Not a nerf.
  4. Wizz

No those are called lolpodders. The pilots are the ones who kill lolpodders. Nerf v thrust, pilots leave, lolpodders prosper. This nerf won't effect lolpodders all that much. It will drastically change a2a combat though.
  5. Silkensmooth

How is it elitist for those of us who have spent hundreds of hours flying, who want to do nothing but fly, to want people to know what they are talking about before they post about air changes?

I don't play a medic, why would i go to the medic forums and post about things having to do with medics? I dont know anything about medics, and am certainly not qualified to speak intelligently about them.

Remember, it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

I mean sometimes when I'm on my Infil, i will swap to the Medic to self heal, so i guess that makes me qualified to have an opinion about how the res tool should work even though I have revived not a single soul.

In the end, it doesnt matter what people who clearly know nothing have to say on the subject. If anyone of importance is reading this, hopefully they are smart enough to separate the ignorance from the truth. If not, we have bigger problems than we thought.
  6. Vanon

Because there is 95% of the rest of us who fly occasionally and want to play as well. What? you don't think its elitist for 1 guy who spent 200 hours flying to try to quell 20 players that have flown for 20 hours? Most people i've met avoid ESF's because the skill level is to high. If these hundreds of hours flying guy's are good, then they should adapt.

Pot meet kettle.

Yes, actually it does. You don't need to play medic for 200 hours to realize that rezzing a guy is faster then healing him to full. It's a pretty well documented problem. You don't need 200 hours in an ESF to figure out that the entire ESF dogfighting metagame is simply backwards flying and circle straifing....

Actually Higgby said specificly that he wants to lower the skill it takes to fly an ESF decently, while keeping the skill wall high for the elite pilots.
    • Up x 1
  7. Van Dax

honestly you'd figure they'd be making it more intuitive not restricting it.
  8. Vanon

Your reasons are "because we practiced it" and "because its not the same flight mechanics as others games" and "it doesnt matter we will still kill you"? Are you trying to lose this argument?
  9. DeadliestMoon

It's elitist because you dismiss anyone who doesn't play x amount of hours in the air. Some people don't like to play only one thing, but maybe a bit of everything, should that mean they don't get a say at all? You have to understand that changes don't just effect the people who solely play one aspect of the game but everyone who plays that that aspect no matter how much or how little. It effects more than just you and seeing as how no one elects "ace pilots" to dictate how other people should play, you shouldn't try to do that now.
    • Up x 1
  10. Spartan3123

yeah fair enough i agree all esf's will be hit hard by this... but i still think the reaver will be hit harder why?

lowering the skill ceiling means other factors will become more prevalent

1) Air numbers

2) esf flight model.

3 --- skill will be a very small factor ie using terrain and friendly flac (situational)

The reaver has the lowest turn rate, largest hit box and is the slowest (without AB) I have flown the mossie and its stock cruise speed is the cruise speed of a racer 3 reaver. (point 2)

This also causes there to be less reavers in the sky (point 1)

therefore although all esf will be equally affected by this especially skilled pilots, in general the NC faction will be the most affected because i feel knowing the reverse maneuver is pretty much mandatory for the NC. Unless you use secondary fuel tank + racer 3 + AB with hit and run tactics...
  11. Spartan3123

YES i am totally up for it. We should have a day when the patch is released where all the major outfits agree to fly air, use a particular camo eg (loyalty cammo) and ground spam.

Other esf are the greatest danger to each other since its boring to fight each other we may as well get certs and ground pound. Its like the nash equilibrium thing if all pilots cooperate it will be better hunting for all of us, so we can make those infantry grubs pay for lobbying this nerf,

Rules of engagement

1 if loyalty camo (of either faction) - probably friendly else shoot on sight probably a grub in a esf

2 if tag is in participating outfit - friendly
    else its a pub and approach with caution

3 if engaged by a pub you may return fire

4 if you see a pub esf shooting a ground pounding esf you are cleared to engage (otherwise don't as this could lead to a chain reaction)
  12. Stigma

I flew extensively on the test-server as late as last night - with the hover frame - and I certainly did not have anything resembling close to normal Vthrust afterburn speed.

Its a bit hard to find where you think that video shows otherwise as it is 6 hours long (and saying "in the last 2 hours somewhere" dosn't help much). If you could narro it down some then I'd be happy to look at it - but as I said I've been testing this personally on PTS and barring a brand new adjustment in the last few hours its just not true that hover does anything to fix the broken Vthrust afterburn. It still makes your regular hover more powerful obviously, but that's all it does.

-Stigma
  13. Nintyuk

6:18:00 is were he tests out the hover frame.
  14. Dreadnaut

Then learn to fly in PS2.

This isn't a flight sim, this is Planetside. Learn to reverse or don't get in an aircraft.
    • Up x 2
  15. [HH]Mered4

When you are outnumbered, its a viable strategy.

If you are gonna take my comments out of context, at least be a little sarcastic :p
  16. Krokozor

Hey SOE, did you realize that ~98% of this thread are about that crap nerf and nobody cares about your awesome hossin? that's how bad that nerf is.

I OK with that nerf only if you make VTOL engine position are fully controllable.

Another whine post
  17. Silkensmooth

First of all im talking about people who say they dont fly at all and think the changes are great. I never said that you should have 200 hours in an ESF, but if you have 4 hours in an ESF and zero kills, are you qualified to speak about ESF balance?

Its not about being elitist. I get my *** kicked every day. But its that challenge, knowing that there are pilots out there that i cant beat even though i have 15 days in an ESF.

What a lot of lazy people want is for it to be easy to just fly around and kill people. They don't want to put the time in.

I mean look at all the people who will sit in turrets for hours on end, or use shotguns or max units. All of these things cater to the skilless. What we really don't want, at least what I really dont want, is to have the flying experience cheapened. I don't want all of that time and hard work i put in becoming a decent pilot who can hold his own to be thrown away because YOU are too lazy to learn. Or too stupid.

Nothing worth having comes easy. If everyone can fly and do equally well, whats the point? It just becomes a massive zerg fest. Who has more numbers always wins. I realize that there are people out there who think that this is a great thing. There are people who have no desire to compete or improve. These are the same people that jump to whatever thing is most overpowered in the game, or the easiest to farm with.

On the other hand, there are people who truly want to compete. We tend to dislike things like lock-ons and shotguns and UBGLs. We don't mind losing because someone outplayed us, but we hate dying to skilless weapons.

Cheapening the flight experience in this game would be a tragedy. They have inadvertantly created something amazing, and to change it would be to steal that joy from those who already know it, and those sad players who may never get to realize it.

Keep messing with game mechanics and see how many players you retain. No one likes to log on and find that the thing they love to do has been changed irrevocably. Generally when that happens they tend to become bitter and move on. This is why things need to be carefully tested and carefully adjusted when needed. We dont need to be changing the entire game around.

Your pot meet kettle comment makes no sense in this context. I know about ESFs, so I can speak intelligently about them, which is the opposite of being a fool.
  18. Silkensmooth

You know i just had a brilliant idea. Playing the game is too hard for the average player, so i think that it should be changed. No more fighting. We will just gather in our warpgates and have dance party alerts, and the empire with the highest pop wins. I guess people would want to nerf jumping then because it is too hard to jump and crouch to dance.
    • Up x 3
  19. Vanon

The air game should be for everyone. It's a design flaw that its so unituitive in the first place. Yea sure, i have alot of fun in the air. It's really sad that every new comer i see essentially gets told "not to bother". People sit here and talk about how great the high skill cap is of ESF's. It's stupid. Nothing else in teh game is treated that way. Guns don't misfire, nor do you have to manually adjust the sights and clean the gun. You don't have to do an engine overhall on your tank, nor do you have to put in an arming sequence when you get in. The ESF community right now is a bunch of dicks. The guy's who want to fly, or have under 50 hours in an ESF are attacked on the forums if they say anything. It's rediculas. There is no reason ESF's can't be like lightnings or MBT's, where anyone can use them, but it takes alot of time in them to make you pro.
    • Up x 3
  20. Seaker Drone

How is that "losing" the argument? Most of us have spent over 350 hours working on it. Nerf after nerf and still people cry "NERF!"
    Then people complain it's to hard to fly so they decide they will dumb it down for the pilots who don't want crap KDRs like we all started out with. So in theory Air will again become OP to many because we still have over 350 hours of practicing.

So I'm not quite sure where you are going with this reply...