Game Update 13: What to expect and when.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Xae

It is pretty mind blowing that you can get enough bad players together and whine to get something nerfed.

If people don't want to get their tank C4'ed they should try paying attention or not spawn camping.

No one is C4'ing moving vehicles.
    • Up x 11
  2. IamDH

Ah thanks for that, i just checked out Ned's vid about the ES pistols and they look pretty nice
    • Up x 1
  3. Tenebrae Aeterna

As others have already expressed, I'm not too particularly fond of this implant concept. I assume that this is an attempt to bolster sales within the shop...but what you have effectively done is encourage a pay to win mentality; far more than any other concept thus far. This is going to cause a constant depletion in certification points, ultimately leading to those who pay coming out on top. They'll have the money to continue fueling their implant capabilities while the rest of us will become starved of certification points, resulting in an inability to progress and purchase these implants at the same rate as cashers. Now, you have imbalance and a collapse of a FTP game community.

You have other opportunities to develop a more lucrative shop:

Example: Customizable Resident Artificial Intelligence

This is going to negatively impact the community, because those who pay in will have a distinct advantage. This will be even more prevalent for those who are just starting out because they're now going to have a constant drain upon their certification points...making the ability to save for the items they want even more taxing. Things such as this result in new free based players leaving the game, which impacts an already low population. While there might be a way to balance this system out in a way that won't significantly impact the gap between those who play for free and cash based players...it'll take a while to do so AND it won't provide the income you're looking for when you come to that tolerable level, defeating the purpose entirely.

Now, with all that said...

The entire fun of implants is the concept of customizing your character to differentiate yourself from every other member of the same class. What you have now is little more than temporary buffs, which don't even feel like implants...even some of the names come off more "magical buff-like" then they do technologically advanced internal devices. The enjoyment of implants is lost, reducing the item to little more than a fleeting buff for your character that you feel obligated to purchase because it's the only way you'll be on par with those around you...

I would much rather have the implants as a permanent augmentation to your character that can be switched out at the cost of certification points...but this too won't provide the potential income that I believe you're looking for, thus defeating the purpose. I really suggest that you go back to a more solidified implant concept and completely scrap this idea, then look towards the community for potential shop lucrative concepts, like the Customizable Resident Artificial Intelligence listed above...that MANY people adored.

It has 55 likes and a LOT of potential for shop only vanity augmentations to the core concept.

I implore you to reconsider, and hope that you do.
    • Up x 5
  4. Reskan

Well, when you offer players a way to absolutely counter specific weapons and utilities which some players have invested many hours into improving for a small price, you are giving players an over-the-top-power benefit. How fair is it to let someone pay to stay off radar and motion sensors for Infiltrators who have spent a lot of their time to max out their sensor dart? What use do stealth tools such as silencers and vehicle stealth provide when you're immediately spotted when you hit someone who spent money? Why would I spend my certs and infantry resources on flash grenades, concussive grenades, emp grenades, and mines when their purpose is effectively countered by someone who spent money?

It is wrong to give players the power to counter something without having to spend the same amount of time and resources invested in the thing that they are countering. Implants should offer convenience to the player, not power.
    • Up x 8
  5. Harkness

Where the hell are my breast implants Higby?!
    • Up x 7
  6. Wasdie

Ignorance is believing "good players", by your relative definition, are somehow always right.

I don't use C4 much, but when I do I can easily C4 a moving vehicle. C4 is just too powerful, it gives every infantry class the ability to kill tanks, it makes every solider much more of a "jack-of-all-trades" solider, and is generally not great for the armor survivability in this game thus making tanks irrelevant in most fights.
  7. C41N

Best news in the whole update. Can we please have smoke and command chat for platoon lead when they are not squad lead also?
    • Up x 2
  8. Hunterion

... though I have to admit, can't wait to equip Safe Landing on my Infiltrator and go Batman!
    • Up x 1
  9. Lafladitu

I have been waiting for this for so long on my favorit continent
    The idea of the impalnts is intressting but I think there should be permament implants aswell instead of just a set duration
    This will be so usefull and it will help a lot with squad/platoon planing
    This is something i wished for a long time
    I hope we can get the galaxy ammo dispenser and proximity repair with this update as they need it asap or the galaxies will have a hardtime in the air and less of them will be in the air
    hoho YES yes, I really love the Cerberus pistol its very fun to use *although only in VR atm*, I do hope we can see it cost certs soon aswell not just SC
    this is really nice update I never spent my certs on the ammo belt as i thought the cert investment was not viable. But now it is accualy worth spending certs on ammo belt.
    Hohoh This is the best with GU13, the VS weapons until now was not something that sounded good. but now hoho its like Music for us VS players.However I think you could patch this up this week on Live as its only sounds, thus the update next week wont be that large. And VS players need this faster
    Hopefully this will fix the FPS stuttering that came the last updates

Keep up the nice work
  10. Oheck

Temporary implants? Was expecting something a little more...persistent, being an implant and all.
    • Up x 8
  11. WTSherman

The problem with C4 is more its availability than its power, if you ask me.

In just about every game that has it, C4 is far more powerful than in PS2. However, it is also restricted to just one or two classes, usually a "spec ops" class that has C4 as its only distinguishing feature.
  12. Emerald11

With the upcoming implants I'm afraid it's time to switch to the next game and have fun until the devs (have to) ruin it.

At one side the planned implants make useless complete expensive cert lines (all radars, infi tools, several types of grenades...). At the other side we will be forced to put more money in this game, when we want play at a good level. This will be impossible without implants in very short time.
    • Up x 7
  13. Collapse

I don't play LA or use tanks frequently, but that C4 nerf seems like it was only done to cater to:

a. Bad tank drivers with zero map awareness
    b. Decent tank drivers who decide they don't need to play with their team and isolate themselves
  14. Cromell

Implants, while a nice idea, should not be introduced like that. Make them available for resources, not certs or SC. First of all, most people won't be willing to waste precious certs for a temporary item. I think that wasting money on them is even worse idea. As it stands Implants will be only viable to people that literally don't have anything to spend their certs on anymore, and since there's so much stuff to unlock in this game, I highly doubt there are many.

Big NO! from me. It will also be somewhat bitter if devs just ignored all the feedback (and I'm talking about constructive criticism, not "blah blah p2w blah" posts, and introduced Implants without refining them.

Please, devs. We're the players, we're the ones spending our time actually playing your game. We know what we want, and it's a fair game for everyone, doesn't matter if they pay or not.
    • Up x 11
  15. Saqer

The problem with the implants as proposed is not that it is an "insurmountable hurdle" it is the fact that it is a hurdle period, no matter how much of an advantage it is, it is still a clear cut advantage that to maintain effectively without impacting your other abiltes you will need to spend station cash on.

To make matters worse, there is really no "fun" game play mechanic to having these be consumable. It would be far FAR more enjoyable if these where permanent additions and really the only reason to add them as a consuamble is to drive new contuiious revenue stream for Sony.

As a result I guarantee you this is not a gameplay idea that someone said hey lets add this. This is almost definitively an idea that is being forced through of by marketing, accounting, or some other higher up that said eh who cares about the game play if it makes us money.

Which means for us to fight this change, we have to get Angry and Loud NOW. If you wait till it hits live, we will NEVER be rid of it unless we straight up stop giving them any money for anything. I don't want it to come to that, noone wants it to come to that. So lets get Mad, lets get Loud, and lets make sure this change that noone wants DOES NOT GO THROUGH AS IS.
    • Up x 6
  16. cassan0va

Im more worried bout clear vision...
    Why use anything else?

Imagine using clear vision run in a room and drop concus at your feet=profit
  17. Hunterion

... oh and by the way, where the hell is my Stalker cloak?
    • Up x 5
  18. Vermana

Implants will be overpowered and completely Pay-to-Win unless they cost very little Certs/SC (<10). You should rethink how you're doing Implants.
    If you want them to be temporary then they should be purchased with a lot of Infantry Resources. If you want them to cost Certs/SC then they should be permanent or last a very long time (Days/Weeks/Months). You are doing implants all wrong, unless you WANT to destroy this game.

Aside from Implants being crap, I'm really excited for this update. Mostly for the new VS sounds. I'm curious what they might sound like. Are you sticking with 'Pew Pew' and just adding a little Bass to it? Or changing it completely?
    • Up x 5
  19. Cleaver

The implants are made of sugar, they have to dissolve sooner or later.
  20. joe smo

It is not the SC cost most people are "qq'ing" about but more about what the implants do.