GU11 Ends Lattice Standoffs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by St0mpy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. P4NJ

Not true, it gave us a goal to work towards. Just because you get nothing for it doesn't mean you can't have fun trying to do it. Just look at all the awesome battles that were caused by continent locks.
    • Up x 2
  2. Larolyn

Already means nothing when half your server is from a different timezone doing caps in the small hours of the morning.
  3. St0mpy

Again do you want to rethink that? How does 1 base not equal 1 territory? Do you really think theyve calculated the KM2 and proportion it off like that? How could they? It would mean far more complex calculations involving dividing territory boundaries across several bases and we know SOE likes simple.

So, lets view that in a simpler way too, have a look at the indar map and notice the majority of larger territories are not connected to gates so with your system itll be MORE than 16 because they are so small compared to the midmap larger areas. Make sense?

Either way since its just come in neither of us can be really sure however im almost certain itll be 1 base = 1 territory, anyway we will see wont we.
  4. Holomang

People really need to stop mistaking ghostcapping for strategy. Capping continents has never been an achievement, as it is currently its only something an empire can do when unopposed, either ghosting it during an alert or off-hours. It's only had meaning to people who equate a meager resource discount with somehow winning the game.

Its not strategy when no ones fighting back.
  5. Paisty

More dumbing down of the game in the name of lettuce.

That is pretty clear to me, to others keep burying your heads in the sand, soon you will look up and realize there are few of you left.

The Lettuce System absolutely needs this change. The links around WG's on Indar make it impossible to neutralize or conquer in the first place.

Hex did not have this problem. In hex 2 opposing factions could clear a cap, with some coordination. The fights were almost as laggy, but neutralization forced ever bigger fights as the attackers closed in on a WG. Culminating in an EPIC last stand fight.

Now that's entertaining.

A hour or more of build up to a giant epic fight.
    Each territory taken leading upto the last piece of land was fought over viciously by all involved.
    The final battle, with all 3 factions going at it, 2 sometimes working together, sometimes shooting each other, trying anything to get the cap.
    The sense of lose after defeat or the sense of elation for finally pushing them into their WG.

That is how epic situations happen. It is a mindset, not something that can be forced. It needs to be an entire story in and of itself, something players feel invested in.

Now that's gone, and all we are left with is forced fights, repeating each other a couple hundred meters down the road. Capping continents is now gonna just happen when no one even realizes it.

All sense of anything epic in this game is now dead.

There is no longer any reason to coordinate in this game, it is now TDM.

There are much better TDM games out there than PS2. Myself I lost the taste for TDM 8 years ago, RIP PS2.
    • Up x 1
  6. cwcriner

It meant anything before?

Seriously, if it isn't an alert there is no real benefit to capping a continent to begin with other than bragging rights.
  7. NinjaKirby

This. It's a game, it means something to capture the entire continent because it's a giant feat in itself to accomplish, it's the aim of the Game and to successfully prevail is a tall asking order.

If the game actually responds in granting Bonus', then that's great. But the accomplishment in "beating the game" is the prize the Players have fought for.

I do not like the change to Continent Capping territory requirements for this reason, the prize awarded to oneself has been devalued.
    • Up x 1
  8. St0mpy

1) you wanna add anything to that? you might make it relevant to the thread you posted in ;)

2) its indar, didnt lattice already stop ghost capping?

3) unopposed? when does one side literally all log out? Especially during an alert, thats just fantasy. Otherwise if they leave for another cont then its tough, they dont deserve to keep it.

4) if you think people only capped continents at 4am then you are either mistaken or deliberately being obtuse for the sake of strumming up the argumentative nature of other posters. I take it your faction never caps a continent when you play or by your own description youd be a dirty ghost capper too :D
  9. Elrobochanco

You can all thank Matherson for this one. Now 75% is a passing grade for "winning", No TR left behind.
  10. Boomotang

The alert fills up the alert continent. Which empties the other continents. Some people take advantage of that. It isn't rocket science...
  11. MrK

Actually, the only cap I've seen NC doing on Indar Miller has been done after Lattice introduction.
    Like all caps since Jan 2013, it's been done at night / while opposition was busy away
  12. Vashyo

I still find continent capping lacking so I don't care if u only needed 1% of the cont to cap it, as long as we dont have intercontinental conquest like in PS1 my goal isnt making the map colored in my sides colors.

Besides the side with most people wins the continent capping game anyways, there's nothing glorious winning against weaker sides...
  13. Lueyja2

In alerts territory is calculated based off of the number of actual hexes that your empire controls, not bases. For instance, Howling Pass has more area than a smaller base like Ayani Labs or something and therefore is worth more when you hold it during an alert. This also applies when you look at the territory control overlay on the map.
  14. St0mpy

So if making the map colored in your sides colors isnt important what is Planetside to you? A gloriously big FPS?
  15. St0mpy

Yes and if they count it like that itll be more than 16 since almost all the larger hexed bases dont touch any gates leaving smaller hexed bases nearer the gate. Does that make sense?

Im sure once we are into the update some stalwart researcher will count up the hexes themselves but for now im happy using the (lower boundary) calculation of 16, rather than being doubted by making it a less tangible 17 or 18 estimating hex counts around each corner of the map.

Lastly, be it 16, 17, 20 or whatever thats not the main issue, either basecounting or hexcounting its all a massive disappointment with continent caps now becoming a meaningless 75%.
  16. Holomang

Seeing how Mattherson TR's been breaking Indar locks during primetime for the last month I don't see how this changes anything.
  17. Elrobochanco

Doing something twice successfully doesn't change the pattern of trying and failing 50+ times.
  18. MrK

Lattice may amplify a bit this very specific event (the end-fighting of a cont cap being zergy stalemate), but introduce a very important point in the game's design : under Hex system, the strategic choices are entirely tied to the game's objective. Since a commander does not want to lose, he's going to do everything strategically to just gain territory control. That leads to what far too many people label as "ghostcapping", which is more about capping region with the least possible contestation on it, because this is the best strategical decision. Ie, smart commanding leads to fight avoidance. This game is a MMOFPS. Avoiding fight should not be the best strategical move.
    Lattice forces the decision for territory taking on a selected few options which are more prone to be contested. Ie, you cannot avoid confrontation.
    What we lack now is strategical choices NOT tied to the main game's objective. Choices impacting ressource management. Choices impacting gear availability. Choices impacting spawning availability. This needs to be done ON TOP of Lattice.

As soon as your only objective is the main winning condition and you give free4all choice on it, you'll see the dreaded "ghostcapping" reappearing, because it's the smartest thing to do to win.

Under Hex, once you look at what you are actually doing, you realise you have fair opposition about 30% of the time, at most. The rest is mostly about jumping on a region and camping the spawn exits directly. Lattice raise the percentage by a fair bit, in exchange of far slower advances (ie, more stalemate) and more zergy fights.

We need added strategical choices which are NOT about capping a territory. Not a return of a Hex just because the only PL options for the last 6 months has been about "what to capture next?" and they don't want to hear about anything else.
  19. St0mpy

well thought out, dont entirely agree but not disagreeing to all either

The thing which annoys me (not directly you but you refer to reverting to hex, close enough for me to remind myself) is whenever I speak 1 word badly about lattice its automatically assumed by the masses im pro original hex and wish it to return exactly as it left which is untrue, hex had its problems, but problems which could have been addressed. Lattice in comparison came out of leftfield in absence of any attempt to fix hex and offers much flatter shallower gameplay, more FPS than MMO (which the masses seem to approve of) but the multilayer forward thinking and scalable system which must have taken shedloads of theory crafting to come to form is dumped for the 10 year old PS1 system for 133 per faction caps. A quick dirty fix for a complex problem.

Anyway im covering old ground theres already too many lattice v hex threads out there and I didnt want this to be one of them, im just saying hex wasnt perfect but I just see lattice less perfect, it only works if I lower my standards to just wanting an fps with more vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  20. Paisty

You make a good argument, but you hit on something you missed, at least imo.

Even in the Lettuce System, the best choice for any PL is to attack the least defended territory, that never changed from hex.

So the best possible strategy for a PL on Indar currently is gather the biggest zerg you can and attack the least populated available base.

I do not see this as anything but trading, varyiable sized fights in any territory for the exact same fight (against the same exact enemy players) 200 meters from the last fight.

They might as well cut up the maps and add a timer at this point, they have effectively made Indar into a bunch of small TDM maps.

SOE might as well add prone and leaning now, with continent caps no longer having any value at all, let's at least play towards something, and KDR seems to be the one thing SOE has chosen for us to play towards.

This game was a blast in March and early April of '13. Then they started changing everything over for The Lettuce System. Now they even made the one meta objective in the game, absolutely worthless, while removing the epic feel of ever escalating fights over continental caps as one or two factions approached any enemies WG.

Again, TDM is the only thing left.....................
    • Up x 1