No Fix Planned This account is in use... + /camp <character select> not working properly

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Test Taffies, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klackers New Member

invalid credentials.... on main account
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

I sent him a pm too. Twice now LOL I hope it helps!
    Soara2 and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

A lot of those whole "tightened security" things had been in place for the last 10 years or so, initiated back when there were "evil, evil Koreans [or Finns, or...] trying to hack us! Aaaahhhhh!!!!!" but there hadn't been much interest in doing that with a game this old for quite some time (what springs to mind is the ever popular, ever favorite "<booted to Character Select while trying to do something> Okay, game, let me back in. Now." "Nope, can't, 'cause you're an evil Korean [or whatever] and have too many bots out there. You'll have to wait for several minutes 'cause you have a character still in the game." "NO, I DON'T, BECAUSE YOU BOOTED ME, STUPID GAME!" "Well, too bad. Just wait out here until I say you can come in again" bit)...until, probably, the Broker got destroyed, inflation-wise, and people might be getting desperate enough to do platinum botting just trying to afford stuff. :-/

Other times I've noticed, when, wonder of wonders, the game DID let me back in again right away, but once "in," I've found that I can't Bank or Broker or anything because reasons, and I have to /camp to that character again to fix it, hoping against hope that I don't get booted out to Character Select again for the temerity of trying to /camp to someone... X-P

Uwk
    Soara2, Lateana and Breanna like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thank the gods, I hadn't; mine's right up there at C:\[my own name for the directory]\Ever Quest II\etc. Still getting issues every so often, though mostly with Thurgadin (I'm US-based); I hardly ever get the "This account is in use, you cretin. Get out, 'cause the old-fashioned login window won't work for you, scum" bit unless I'm trying to do something fraught (usually get from one toon to another quickly for Santa Glug's gifties) on Thurgadin. :-/

Uwk
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

When I run across the "account is in use" error, it's almost always on Thurgadin (I'm US-based). :-/

Uwk
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Nope.

Uwk
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Or trying to pick up Santa Glug's gifties and you have a limited time window... :-/

I've found that if I'm a good li'l toon and sit down and shut up and don't try to do ANYTHING else for the next 20 seconds with anything, and/or during the "weeeeee arrrrrrre nooowwwwww looooooading innnn yourrrrrrr tooooon" bit (extra, extra long on Thurgadin), I have less of a chance to get the "This account is in use. Leave, slimebag" type of thing come up. I will say that if it doesn't take the full 20 seconds, if I get away from the in-game screen and to a black screen of some sort within only 5-10 seconds, then I WILL, guaranteed, get the "This account is in use. I hate you, get out now" sort of error. :-/

Uwk
    Soara2, Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

When that happens, I cross my fingers and pray that it works to /camp to that same toon, which generally seems to fix it. :-/

Uwk
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine who worked at SOE in QC (Quality Control, though usually for other SOE games) would also play this game (both EQ1 and EQ2) once he got home, on his own system. As tired as he was of 8+ hours of staring at moving pixels, he would still do this because a) he was a gamer, and liked the games, and b) he was deliberately trying to see how the game behaved on a not-necessarily "top of the line, connected to the Big Cheese Servers" computer. And he took input directly from other players (/raising_paw) as to what was affecting us and bringing such suggestions back to the office to be looked at; if your baby toons would drown trying to swim into The Caves due to a "too-slow" computer ("You're in the game! Do something! You're drowning!" "Can't see anything on my monitor yet. Not even getting game music yet." "Not our fault -- ooh, you're dead. Again. Ha-ha."), you can thank me personally for not having to go underwater, zone, then come in again still underwater to get into the zone. ;->

Uwk
    Soara2, Juraiya, Feldon and 2 others like this.
  10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Good, I figured you did something like that.

Lots of software these days that needs to make changes throughout its use, still gets placed in Program Files by the Install program. From my last job before retirement, around 7 years ago, I still saw programs try to use Program Files that shouldn't be using that folder.

We got word about the security settings 2 jobs ago, over 10 years back, but it seems many companies are still using outdated installers.
  11. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

one can use otter totem, turned on for auto-use (after 15 minutes, its effect stops, and after it's turned on again, it takes another minute before toon can "breathe" underwater. during this minute his (her) life bar fade), so as to any circumstances (including lags and disconnections with server) toon not drowned. using fishbone earring not best variant because it takes up slot for more needed other earring. it takes lot of these totems so that don't have to worry about constantly used up. so that woodworker compelled to saw should do it over and over again, for days and nights without fatigue. in any case, until devs rid him of need for this tedious work. something like as hellenic deities, who sentenced mythical sisyph could spare him.. perhaps.. though.. and if sisyphus decides to run away to rest, then someone like hermes will be sent for him again (hardly anything can be done so that problem with lags and other interruptions is finally was resolved in positive way)
    thought seems clear to me. but if such an action of game is properly (if happens), then on official page it should be written that it requires administrative rights to run. is this so?
    and by way, as i supervision, message from Feldon with an interesting link disappeared.. perhaps because these same (adapted to local realities) deities intervened in thread ;) .. right - sisyphus should work
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

My "learning to drown" skill checks were before Totems of the Otter existed, otherwise I think my Woodworker buddies would've offered to make me a bunch...if nothing else, to save their ears from my whinging about it. ;)

Uwk
    Soara2, Breanna and Juraiya like this.
  13. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Ya know... I do sometimes do something with a character as it's camping out. I never thought of that as being a potential problem, and I never thought to track if the "account in use" error occurs more frequently when I do this. Most often I'm clicking the berry tree as I camp to a character, after having already checked my pony/goblin/plant and tradeskill apprentice, as well as any overseer quests. Sometimes I click on pony/goblin as I'm camping as well.

I may stop doing that, and make sure the character is DONE with everything before camping, and see if the problem goes away.

Btw, I'm on U.S. servers, and the only custom UI that I use is EQ2 Maps.
  14. Geroblue Well-Known Member

@Ra'Gruzgob I have several commercial programs that I have been told by the company I bought them from to install as admin, but its not mentioned in the documentation.

My opinion is that the security measures used in Windows are not well thought out. They exist, and they mostly work, but that is about it.
  15. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

thank you for your reply Geroblue.. but, rather this not well thought out in interests of ordinary users. rather, such security measures are too confusing. they exist, and they are too full of holes, but that is about it..
    i see two ways to get rid of problems caused by this thoughtlessness/confusion/multiple holes:
    1. need release windows 7 as free software https://www.fsf.org/windows/upcycle-windows-7
    or
    2. use linux. including for games designed for windows (i have been doing this since release of skyrim, and i don't regret parting with windows)
    :) perhaps it would be great if someone from darkpaw team increased duration of these totems, and on earring added slot for runes from new expansion
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah, Linux! I'm kind of tempted to get a basic laptop with Win10 on it, just to try it on something I wouldn't shed any tears over if something should happen as a result of trusting Microsoft. :-/ If something horrible does happen, but I'm forced to go to something new for my desktop, I'm seriously thinking about Linux. I don't need much, actually, just the reassurance that WordPerfect, this game, and Adobe Reader will work on a version of it. ;->

What they really need to do with any of the swimming aids (and the Earring can be activated, then swapped out for a "real" earring, and then you can still do the water thing for 12 hours) is fix the blasted "ha-ha, we're just gonna watch you drown for 30 seconds rather than let you re-activate it right after it shuts down, 'cause that's funny and we're bored here! :D" bit that they seem to be enjoying way too much. :-/

Uwk
    Soara2, Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yet one more thing I'm encountering as we speak: left my Mistmoore, went out into Freeport, opened up my Character sheet, clicked on the Dungeon tab for one that I have access to. Went from going into it to booted out to Character Select. Tried getting back in; nope, 'cause I'm apparently an evil Korean or Finnish botter, I have to wait at least a few minutes (minutes?! Why the hell minutes, if all it should take to finish getting us out/checking out our international credentials is 20-30 seconds?) before I can go back in and evilly bot some more (yeah, that'll show 'em). /shrug

While languishing in the Character Select screen, it says I'm in the dungeon (Lair of Scale 4, iirc), but when I try to go back in the game again, to get into said dungeon, it boots me back out into Freeport. :-/

Usually if I don't have access to a dungeon any more, it'll say so, and just not let me in any more, complete with a cute li'l message: "The owner of this dungeon thinks your icky now and you stink, so you're not getting in any more. Ha-ha." or something to that effect. No explanation this time.

Uwk
    Soara2, Juraiya and Geroblue like this.
  18. Geroblue Well-Known Member

When I was still working I talked to someone who had gotten down to the bit level on home computers. He told me, this was Win XP or Vista time, that Windows had holes large enough for a star ship to go through.

Anyway, on Saturday I would up in a round robin of prestige houses and dojos. Finally gave up and just went into Qeynos, then selected the one I wanted. Urf. And all I wanted to do was check a depot.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Finally got in earlier tonight -- whoops, last night, now (stupid Romans and their stupid "the day begins at midnight") -- just fine, after about half a dozen attempts to do so unsuccessfully earlier. :-/

Uwk
  20. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I must have seen it at least 50 times yesterday. No, that's not an exaggeration. I probably see it more than most; I have 41 upgraded ponies just on my main account, and I go through and pull harvests off all of them, several times a day. I am aware that after a couple of pony runs through all of my characters that I need to exit the game and relaunch it, because of memory leaks; I deal with that, and it's separate from this issue.

I have no idea how to send information to the devs to help them. I've tried not doing anything after I camp, not even picking a berry from the tree. It doesn't matter; it still happens frequently.

There IS one thing that the devs may not be checking; EQ2 isn't the only thing I have up on my computer, and I will never make it be so. There are always background tasks going on; at the very least, I keep Excel and Chrome up at all times, because I have to track things on my EQ2 spreadsheets (seriously, I track everything), and I often need to look things up for the game on the web. So sometimes while I'm camping, I switch to either Excel to edit something for the last character I was on, or I switch to Chrome to look something up. I don't just stare dazedly at my screen, waiting for it to camp to the next character. I'm not patient enough to do that.

So if EQ2 is *insisting* on being the primary application at all times, and/or the only one up on the computer, that's not testing the program in the manner in which it is used in the wild. I doubt that I'm the only one that switches to another app while the game is switching characters or zoning; very few players, particularly those who camp as frequently or for as many characters as I do, are ever going to not want to do this. I've encountered other games, applications, and even web pages that insist on being the prime thing up in order to do their work, and they either pause or stop working completely if they're not on top; I usually stop using those very quickly, because the sheer hubris of the developers of those programs irritates me.

This isn't the ONLY thing running on my computer; it never will be. I have an extremely fast and powerful computer; it can handle it. But if the game can't, then that's an issue that the developers need to deal with, because that's the way people will use their program, and if they're not testing it that way, they need to be.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.