No Fix Planned This account is in use... + /camp <character select> not working properly

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Test Taffies, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breanna Well-Known Member

Occasionally I do go to other apps but for the most part I just camp and wait for the next character. I sort of multitask LOL I'll get up while camping and fill the cats water bowl, then next camp I fill the dogs water bowl, then next camp I'll clean a litter box and ect.... Yes I hate just sitting there waiting to log in too. And I hate when I come back to the computer and see THIS ACCOUNT IS IN USE and have to do it all over again.
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

and although this game works in wine more stable than in windows, at least for me; can assure you otherwise - what you want that to work will not be work. therefore you will either have to consider alternatives (in case you need linux); for WP it's Writer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice_Writer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_word_processors), for Excel it's Calc (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice_Calc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_spreadsheet_software), for AR it's Okular (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okular https://okular.kde.org/ Okular will work in whatever desktop environment you prefer, not just kde. and although there are other programs for working with pdf in linux, they don't represent a real alternative for AR for windows or Ocular); or if you really don't want to give up programs you are used to, use virtual machine inside which you can place your licensed windows (this also requires certain knowledge and skills).. don't know what is more inconvenient for you. in any case, more than one year will pass before devs of Internet browsers, one after another or at same time, stop supporting seventh windows, and then eighth. although long-term your habit of certain programs will not become easier to change when more years are added to it..
    Soara2 and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I finally got the "newest" (at the time) version of WordPerfect when it came out, which was 12.0 (I detest Word. It's good for inserting pretty pictures and tables, but other than that, no. At least WordPerfect plays nice with others and opens just about every word processing file type, including Word [and will even save to Word, like a nice thing], but Word won't play with others other than its own, or RTF, or .txt. All the more reason to hate it). ;-> Until such time as they can prove to me that what they have to offer is actually better (and not just claimed that) than what I have, I'll stay with what I have. ;->

For everything else, spreadsheets are spreadsheets are spreadsheets, and I really don't care unless they can or can't open my existing files. /shrug

Same with .pdf readers; if they can do the job of opening my files, great! If not, I'll look elsewhere. ;->

Uwk
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

sorry, everything is in hurry. read it: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=530 . see, you can work in WordPerfect in Wine. which means you don't need any virtual machine. but there is one thing - this program will most likely require changes fonts (increasing them) of interface through Wine configurator. there shouldn't be any problems in the rest, although view of program will be slightly different. by way - for reassurance regarding our favorite game - on same site: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=9400 for pdf in windows, again by way, SumatraPDF (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatra_PDF) is best suited. very convenient and fast unlike AR. because of AR, also by way, this bug may occur, which is discussed in this thema of this forum (more precisely, because of AR hidden processes that start every time with system)..
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)

And bleagh, hidden processes...I may get so used to Sumatra I may never want to go back. ;->

Uwk
  6. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I use Sumatra for pdf reading as well. Need to find time to work on my Amiga A3000.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good lord, Amiga's still making computers? :eek:

Uwk
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Mine is from 1990. But I have read rumors that some are being made.

There are folks in Europe and England that are making 68020, 68040, etc. accelerators, graphics cards, Ethernet, memory boards, etc. And there is supposed to be a cable or box, I'm not certain, you can buy so if your CBM 1084 monitor dies, you can plug up your Amiga computer to a LCD screen monitor. Not sure about the resolution.
  9. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

:oops:
    this isn't entirely exact. because qpdfview (https://launchpad.net/qpdfview) is decent alternative for okular in penguins (and also better than AR for windows). because it works quite quickly with huge pdf files (books), about 350 mb.. not sumatra of course, but nevertheless.. sumatra by way also works very well in wine (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5973)

as for bug discussed in this thread, i think that many labours was spent in due time to optimize reliability of server-client communication. and now, before doing anything, they have to double-check any possible change in this for very long time. because it is obvious that for some, and, moreover, not same in each specific case, reasons, there are delays in disconnection of accounts withdrawn from game. so i think most of all problem is in use of udp protocol for communication; by definition it's unreliable in relation to possibility of lost packets. despite fact that this is generally standard protocol for this kind of games. in short - it's unlikely to be fixed on a quick one..
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Or even a slow one, if it's the default protocol... :-/

Back when there was the hack attack on SOE (probably by that thorn in Smed's side, who's since bipped off to Finland, last anyone knew), there was at least one dev/GM/tech/official that, unofficially, kind of wished aloud that they could keep things down for another month and take the time to really set things up properly, like rely more on GPU capability than CPU, clear out at least some of the "spaghetti code," address issues like this by going to a more modern protocol, etc. Unfortunately, they were so busy clearing out the hack and reassuring everyone the game would be up ASAP if not sooner, that they didn't get the chance. :-/

Uwk
    Soara2, Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  11. Svenone Well-Known Member

"This account is in use"

This issue is still happening. Just yesterday (Aug. 23, 2020) it happened at least 3 times on my main account. It happens whether the character has been in the game for 20 minutes or 2 minutes. It does not appear to matter if the character is older and has a lot in their inventory, or rarely used and has very little in the inventory. It does not always happen every time, but it may happen consecutive character switches. The account that I see it happen with most has 20+ character slots used, but a second account with 8 character slots (3 used) also has this happen, albeit rarely. I live approximately 2000 miles (by car) from the DBG servers (still in the U.S.A.) so maybe physical distance plays a part in the issue? I honestly think raising the camp time from 20 to 25 seconds would help (it was 30 seconds when this game came out, and I never had this issue then). My internet connection (20Mb / 2 Mb, Spectrum) is not the best by today's standards (even for the U.S.A.), but should be more than enough for this game, when you consider that this game used to operate on a dial-up connection!
  12. Nunja Well-Known Member

I hate this error! I scream at the screen "NO F@#$ing S@#$ I am using this account!!!!!!!"
    My internet is Google fiber so connection isn't the issue. It is totally random when you get this error....zone lag crash to character select....zoning into raid zone crash to character select (you think you are but you don't) or swapping toons. Of course it will continue so just keep yelling at the screen.:mad::mad::mad:
  13. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Nope. I live five miles from them (we probably even share the same ISP), and I get it all the time. I really don't think they're testing it on a computer that's outside of their internal network.

I think you're right about the camping time. If it got extended back to 30 seconds, which is what it was originally, the problem would go away. However, I don't think everyone sees this problem, and I suspect more people would complain about the extended camping time, than those who complain about this. But I don't know for sure. I think they could TRY it, and see what happens, but I doubt that they will.

I truly don't see how they "cannot reproduce" the problem if they're trying it from outside computers. I really don't. I see it on my main account (80+ characters), and smaller accounts that have at least four characters. I rarely see it on my few accounts that have only two characters. I see it most frequently when I am using my "camp <character name>" macros to go from character to character in a row, when doing things like overseer quest checks and pony harvest checks, because that's when I'm switching characters the most. But I also see it occasionally at other times, like when zoning (although that is rarely), or when just switching to a specific character that I want to adventure with.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'm a bit north of Jura, but not by much; couple hundred miles or so, so yeah, I'm not sure distance is the issue, but I will say I tend to have this happen most often /camping from toon to toon on Thurgadin for Santa Glug gifty distribution. Since everything there is pretty much timed to the second (literally; I've got 26 toons on that server), any hang-ups and I'm doomed; have to re-schedule everyone on my spreadsheet for that server. X-P

It's why I usually save them for last, poor things... :-/

But yeah; I highly recommend that the devs/techs/GMs/etc. also play the game at home, on their own systems, with their own connections. I know that "omg, not one more minute of staring at this dang screen, with these dang pixels" sort of burn-out and desire to relax with anything else once one gets off of work for the day, or week, but we need another computer/connection set of "eyes" looking at this, I think. :-/

Try making toons on Thurgadin... ;->

Uwk
  15. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

i would be interested to catch this moment in game. on which server, interestingly, will they do this (if they do this)? i would even try to change my romp and plans in real life to look at this moment. emergence anyone of devs in game is almost as interesting an event as phenomenon of an avatar. really curious. especially since he/she will need to enter game with at least three toons from same computer (sequentially from one, or more than from one account. in both cases it happens) in order to find out what here is - to say: aha! here it's! although it seems to me that yet will rather be heard. aha, that's! but what was it? :confused:
  16. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

just invite us all to attend. announce time and server of this event. when, dedicated part of team, or some of you, go to check it in game. throng gathered at this remarkable (by server measures) event will not only emotionally support your next regular attempt to deal with this (don't be distracted by chats and gestures), but also, perhaps, will give you with additional and need info:
    firstly, the very number of toons gathered in one place as factor of influence; secondly, it's perhaps that some of players will also begin arrange checks at this time, repeating after you their entries and exits. some in raids, some in groups, others in solo.. mayhap it matters? yes, also and such influence factor - whether characters are separated or in groups at time of bug, could also be checked - its impact isn't excluded? and after that you may have lot of useful logs to resolve with this problem.. although, after such an event, it will probably be more difficult for you to convince that you cannot reproduce bug, but you can argue then: you were too many, you all disturb and we got confused.. think curiosity on any of servers will gather onlookers.. maybe this will help?
  17. Ratalthor Developer

We are looking into ways of improving this experience but it will take some time to implement. Thank you for your patience.
  18. Breanna Well-Known Member

Thank GOD!!!!! LOL It's been happening for years now so hey another few months won't be that bad. At least we know it's in the works now thank you :)
  19. Melomebe New Member

@Ratalthor - I have 3 accounts. I play all on the same computer - sometimes all at the same time. My oldest & largest account is 3553 days old as of today, has 23 active characters (21 on Kaladim & 2 on HoF) and 49 deleted characters and is the account that has this problem consistently and has for quite sometime (over a year). This account always sends me to Character Select when I select a specific character from the launch pad before login or when I execute the "/camp <Character Name>" command . The other two accounts (both 533 days old with 7 & 9 active characters & 66 & 49 deleted characters respectively) are fine and never have this problem. I have "baby" characters and maxed-out characters on all three accounts. So it is not my distance from San Diego, the computer in use, or the amount of inventory, that is the problem. The only difference I can see between them, at this level of observation, is the account age and the fact that the older account has toons on two different servers. Perhaps I have the options set slightly differently - I will check on that and report back. It seems as though I remember seeing an option and selecting it - somewhere on the older account - that allowed you to do "background loading" and I do remember selecting that on that account at about the time this problem started happening - but, I could not tell you where I saw that and I cannot find it now. I hope this helps.
  20. Breanna Well-Known Member

Yea I wish they would get this one figured out, it is extremely annoying. I don't think I've ever played a day without it happening at least 2-3 times and when you're trying to quickly bounce through all your characters and collect their harvest so you have time to actually play the game it's very annoying. I had it happen 6 times the other day and finally gave up on logging the rest in.

I only play this one account though I very very rarely log into the other one, I basically just use it when I make a new character and need to invite it to the guild. And I am only on one server, so I'm not sure being on different servers makes a difference. This has been happening to me since they did the server merge a few years back.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.