Suspending accounts for exploiting

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by ABlocal, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Plat bags are limited by loyalty tokens. So that argument is silly.

The fact that you could multiply your coin by a huge huge amount repeatedly and endlessly was very clearly an exploit. If you don't see that, then perhaps you deserve to be on Drunder.
  2. Labeleth Member

i don't, i see a dev's mistake. duping plat/items with no legit source? that's an exploit. and no, i don't deserve to be on drunder, i deserve to have my account perma banned so i'm not tempted to play my toons ever again. which it was
    Awkk likes this.
  3. Labeleth Member

again, it's not something spelled out in the rules as a clear example, for all i know breaking thru zone walls/ceilings is an exploit since i could unfairly warp thru things i shouldn't be able to.
    Awkk likes this.
  4. LordTiras Well-Known Member

You're conflating "legit" with "sensible". The two are not the same, and while it was "legit" it was not "sensible" to go from 75 to 500. :)

For the overall situation, the variable punishment may be due to other factors, but it may also be due to who handed out the punishment, or even when. It seems that I would expect the severity to either coincide with just the amount of money mooched, or the amount plus "did they discuss and share in chat channels at all?". Someone who discussed the exploit in general chat would draw a tougher punishment than someone who did not but pulled 10x the amount of cash, because sharing the information is more destructive to the health of the game. I don't know what the reasoning was on the back side, so it's impossible for me to say whether it was fair or not. But, for those of you who were hit with punishment, could that be why it varied? Did any of you share the method in some way in-game?
    Awkk and Ceyllynn like this.
  5. Labeleth Member

some one told me about it, since i'm usually the last to hear about anything new i figured i was behind like usual /shrug the only other mention of it was in gen chat, but according to most here 1p gained is the same as infinite plat gained :p
    Awkk likes this.
  6. Meneltel Well-Known Member

You can make money legit. I have, in 18 months on AB made 200k worth of plat buying and selling stuff, most of it found in dungeon runs or sometimes buying low and selling high from the broker. Do I have most of that money? Nope, most is gone as I also bought stuff for my toons. I have between 4 toons on AB, maybe 20k plat total. But I have most everything I want to buy that is decently priced. Lots of stuff priced out of my self-imposed appraisal limits. Like Kronos. But, I play the game, farm shinies and sell them. Some of the shinies I need for RP and the rest I either sell or put in guild shiny collection box for guildies. I make enough that my bank account goes up, until I spend some. I still have a Zelbie token I haven't used yet, bought when someone put them up on broker for 300pp or less. A few months ago... now... 40k or so, on AB. Kronos now... 70k...

*smiles* But I only need enough for repairs, and I make that selling shinies and more. So, for all those who got banned, good luck convincing them to let you back in. If they do, I suggest you travel the road less traveled, the one that is straight and narrow. And don't step off again.
    Juraiya, Iskandar, Luckius and 4 others like this.
  7. Ledan Member

I was one of those people who got caught too ( 94k in 4 hours ), but I am not here to beg to be reinstated on the server i came from or go on about how I am canceling my membership.

Life could be worse.. they could just delete your accounts and everything on them... so what they sent you to a desolate server

Make the best of it and quit crying... frankly I'm surprised more didn't get sent to Drunder.. no matter, more hunting grounds for me :)
    Juraiya, Sigrdrifa, Ceyllynn and 2 others like this.
  8. LordTiras Well-Known Member

But the detail of import is did YOU mention it in general chat, with specifics? Did any of the others who were disciplined in a manner different from you? This is where details and semantics come into play. If you talked about its existence, but did not talk specifics, yet someone else spelled out how to do this, I would expect differing levels of punishment between the two.
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  9. Labeleth Member

nah, there was no reason for me to talk about it tbh
  10. Ajjantis Well-Known Member

And for this statement alone (did you actually read my prev. post at all?) you deserve the punishment that you got.

Not even the slightest confess of doing a HUGE mistake.
    Juraiya and Ceyllynn like this.
  11. Laiina Well-Known Member

This all reminds of the typical criminal - they are not sorry for what they did, they are sorry for getting caught.

I and many others knew about this and chose not to take advantage of it, as it was so obviously an exploit. But I guess some have a different moral code.
  12. Xper Well-Known Member

Uh... yes? That couldn't possibly be more obvious. Seriously? Haven't you ever seen Office Space?!
  13. Jaden Well-Known Member

------------------------------------

Situational ethics eh?
    Juraiya and Ceyllynn like this.
  14. forumguy3419 Member

early nomination for best thread of 2016.
    Juraiya, Iskandar and Kittybock like this.
  15. Feldon Well-Known Member

A software bug is a mistake, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.
    Juraiya, Neiloch and Ceyllynn like this.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

This is the CLASSIC example of an exploit. You noticed the price discrepancy. If you obeyed the EULA and TOS etc., you would have reported it as a /bug and maybe sent in a /petition about the issue. AND YOU WOULD NOT HAVE KEPT BUYING THE THING AND SELLING IT.

When it's raining plat from heaven, you knew it was too good to be true. But you kept doing it, even though you had to be perfectly aware that this was not what DBG intended. How much plat did you rack up before you were punished? Tell us, please, inquiring minds want to know the vast extent of your foolishness.

Enjoy Drunder.
    Juraiya, Iskandar, Foretold and 6 others like this.
  17. Avirodar Well-Known Member

The only thing that surprised me, is that it taken so long for the issue to be reported and fixed.

As for the consequences? It is what it is. Back in the day, people knowingly rolled the dice with the Battlegrounds exploit, and most who abused the DoV Griffon quest knew what they were doing. When rolling those kind of dice, the consequences can range from nothing, to being banned. DBG is well within their right to respond in the manner they deem fit, whether we like it or not is irrelevant.

Will there be some outlier cases deserving of review? Probably, there often is when dealing with large numbers of people. But they should be sending PM's to DBG staff, rather than posting on public forums. I am now curious to see if any measures are taken to attempt removing illegitimate plat from the economy, or if it will be left as-is?
    Juraiya likes this.
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

All I see is you refusing to take responsibility for your behavior. You messed up. You are the only one to blame here. It doesn't matter how much or why other people did it, you had your greedy hand in the till of never-ending plat. Man up and wait out your punishment.

You and everyone else that milked this exploit hosed the server economies and caused massive inflation. It will take months before the plat sinks we have extract the excessive plat in the economy and things sort of normalize. You caused a lot of grief for everyone on the servers who has to deal with the warped server economy.

Man up, take responsibility. If you could fake a little contrition, that would be nice.
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You should take a look at the Knowledge Base article on Ban Appeals.

You can't point to Little Johnny and complain that "he did it too and got a lesser punishment". The punishment may not be based on amount of plat gained. How many people did you teach to do this exploit, for example? Did you brag about it with your friends? If so, that may be part of why your punishment is different. There may be other factors involved, such as your past customer service history, how many times you've been in hot water before, etc.

Don't waste your time justifying yourself here. Read the ban appeals article and see if you can try some of that. If it doesn't work, you either learn to love Drunder, or create a new account from scratch and rebuild, hopefully wiser this time.
  20. Laiina Well-Known Member

I don't think it can be at this point. I am sure that some of the plat I got from selling a few Krono was "dirty money", but it is spread out so far and wide by now the best that DBG can do is make sure this does not happen again. But a part of the real problem is that there are not really any good plat sinks to get excess plat out of the game. Some I know used that fake money to max out plat infusions on some gear, but most people that I know are simply not buying the plat infusions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.