Server move poll on Antonia Bayle

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Rotherian Well-Known Member

<sigh>

They. Aren't. Talking. About. Making. Players. Move. Against. Their. Will.

So. What. Is. The. Problem?

I mean seriously. As I've indicated earlier, folks that would be willing to move from a server where they have a high likelihood of finding groups to one where they will have less of a likelihood of finding groups are probably not the people that you have been grouping with up to this point (obviously there will be some overlap between the two populations, but it is most likely minimal, at best). This means that there will be little to no effect upon your gameplay if these folks leave. This Venn diagram shows my conjecture about the overlap between those that are willing to move from AB and those that have willingly grouped with you at least twice:

[IMG]

While it is possible that the overlap is greater, the differences in mindset between the two populations would generally discourage folks in one population from continuing to group with the other population. So if the overlap is greater, it probably isn't by very much. (It is also possible that the overlap could be smaller, but that kinda goes without saying*.)

* Or, at least it would go without saying if someone else was typing this response. :oops:
  2. Fieryfists New Member

I Sorry but that post made me laugh real good :) thanks for that been a ****** day and i smiling again :). Since you think you know everything.... please explain to me why they are offering transfer off AB and not any other server? if there is clearly no issue at all?.

Anyone who think about why will understand that there is many reasons why they would only offer transfer off of AB. As a result of these reasons which people have said in the posts here will add a few people to other servers. If the servers never had an issue why not offer free for any server to move where they want? once u answer this you will see why there has been 13 pages of people talking about merger / mega server and dead servers and the solution Daybreak Gaming is coming up with is to give a few free transfers to the only server that has player base.

FYI at no point i said they forcing people off AB. I am saying it is a sad way to go about fixing the real problem
    Iadien likes this.
  3. StaticLex Active Member

I stopped playing the game because my server was deserted. By deserted I mean it was taking way too long to form groups. And by forming groups I mean I took the initiative and formed them myself. I played a healer and I was very good at it; I could heal some serious scrubs through just about anything so consequently I would take just about anyone. Even doing all of this I was still waiting up to 3 hours to fill a group. That is absolutely unacceptable and it made me quit trying to play this game.

This poll looks like typical Sony incompetence. I don't know if they're trying to avoid the stigma of more server mergers but asking people to transfer off the 1 server where you can expect to not wait hours for a group is laughable. Of course the great irony here is I would probably start actively playing again if they gave me a free transfer to AB. o_O
    Padrepyro likes this.
  4. Zinj Well-Known Member

Sounds like they need to sweeten the pot to encourage voluntary moves from AB to elsewhere.

They need to move everything a player has, houses, dungeons, banks, etc; and not just what the player can carry in a back pack.

They should do guild transfers where the majority of the active (have logged into that character within the past 90 days) guild votes to do so.
    Moonpanther likes this.
  5. Padrepyro Member

Best post here.

I would take this one more step and slowly merge the lower active US population servers into the Freeport server one by one. In the end you would have Antonia Bayle, Freeport and this new one mentioned above. Then do a 'classic server' capped at level 80 in RoK with PVP hot zones that if you enter it'll switch to the PVP rules at that time. Ultimately four servers in total.
    splatterpunk28 likes this.
  6. Kurisutaru Active Member

Merge.. Mega server.. o_O I swear, this words are starting to make my eyes twitch every time I see them.. :eek: Anyway, below, a lil' summary to try and explain our point of view for those who skipped through to the end of this thread.. :p

Belenos said: ↑

“... I do not believe the issue of low server population is even being addressed in her post at all; rather, it is addressing a server population that has become too high!”

Halanna said: ↑

“... AB players did this to themselves. Everytime someone posts on the forums 'any server suggestions?' everyone runs and posts AB! AB! AB! It's the only real and populated server in the whole game! Which is not true. Other servers have their populations and their good and bad points.”

Hijinx said: ↑

“... if AB is over their target population goal. If the server stress is at or near it's max, then it seems like a reasonable way to try and alleviate some of it.”

Laiina said: ↑

“... The devs have said several times recently that the current state of the database is simply not up to handling a complete merger.”

Kurisutaru said: ↑

“... Merges are not as easy as pressing a button. There's A LOT of work involved and there are steps to take in order to make the transition for most (we all know there's no pleasing EVERYONE :rolleyes: ) of the playerbase as painless as possible.

... If people bothered to do a little research they would find that performance issues have to be addressed. Active or inactive each and every Character = Data files and there's A LOT of 'em, which in case you didn't know are also BIG, so finding ways to reduce the size of character data files (which was talked about in the AMA back in February) is a most. Sorting out issues in the back end (database and such), among other things, have to happen before merges could even be considered.. ”

Belenos said: ↑

“... This continues to be ignored (mostly) but I am gonna keep reminding you all until a dev tells me I am wrong, because I read Holly's post very well, and it seemed well-written and clear:

The intent of allowing people to transfer off AB is not to repopulate numerous other servers. So the entire conversation about server merges is moot. But I have been around here long enough to know that those who want servers to be merged will use any opening at all to, once again, call for server merges to "fix" the perceived "problem" of not being invited to group, and to exaggerate the "problem" of all the "dead" servers.

... This is wrong on many fronts.

... The idea that throwing players into the same "playground" will make them play together is false.”
  7. Iadien Active Member

Do you honestly think he meant that people were being forced to move off of AB? I mean, seriously? That's what you cling to for your response? Come on now.

I bet the vast majority of people want to move to more populated servers, not away from them. If that's not a priority, I suggest making it one.
  8. Laiina Well-Known Member

Why are so many missing the fact that this is a POLL for players on AB?
  9. Rotherian Well-Known Member

The word moving suggests action on the part of a mover, being done to a movee* (without action being taken on the part of the latter). Additionally, there was no clinging involved. Speaking of clinging, it doesn't appear that you've bothered to read past the first 15 words in the post that you quoted.

So, assuming that the existence of a "vast majority" of players that wish to move to a more populated server is true, how would this negatively affect you if a supposedly tiny minority** decided to switch to a less populated server? If there is indeed a vast majority that prefer to move to larger servers, the loss of a few players shouldn't have that much of an effect upon your play.

So why oppose it? Why care whether a portion of the player base (that you appear to think is infinitesimal) has the option of moving elsewhere?

Heck, if it is only a few folks that want to leave AB, I would think that those that believe that more population = awesomesauce would wish them good riddance.

@everyone:

This is Holly's post -

Please point out to me the part that says, "We also would like your suggestions for alternatives to this option, such as merging servers and giving free transfers TO Antonia Bayle server." Because I'm not seeing it. o_O

* I realize that movee isn't actually a word, but its meaning should be clear from the context in which it is used.
    ** Not saying that it would be necessarily that small, but I'm using a term that is essentially the opposite of the "vast majority" that you claim want to move to more populated servers***.
    *** Also, both the term that I used and the term that you used ignore the existence of a portion of the player base that is content on their current server. However, I would be astonished if that number wasn't a lot larger than the amount for which either of us give it credit. (In fact, I wouldn't be that surprised if the players that are content with their servers outnumber the ones that want to move to more populated servers and the ones that want to move to a smaller server - even with them added together****.)
    **** Even if that isn't the case, I sincerely doubt that the number of players that want to switch servers exceeds 50% of the player base.
  10. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I have four characters on Antonia Bayle. So the outcome of this affects some of my toons.
    Griff likes this.
  11. Laiina Well-Known Member

Why would it affect any of your characters if you don't want to move?
    Hijinx and Griff like this.
  12. Griff Well-Known Member

That was also the point I was attempting to make. Personally, my play style changed greatly over the years from being a high end raider in EQ-1 with one of the first guilds to clear time to what I am today; a solo/molo/duo/small group at best player. Even then, my small groups consist of friends and family. I enjoy interacting in chat, selling and buying wares from other players and the general population of the world that I play in.

Change my environment to a densely populated server and I'm still not interested in grouping with others beyond Agnostics. Make the solo/casual content a stand in line version of "Whack a Troll" and I'm not going to be very happy. At some point, as well as my family and band of friends will look elsewhere for entertainment. That's no threat to rage quit, just a reality that we leave games that no longer interest us.

I'm no mind reader, but I feel that the reason they are polling this is to see how many people would like to move to servers that fit what they enjoy in regards to a less populated server so they can make more room for those wanting a larger population. We might be either surprised or left unimpressed, who knows.

I do know this from my years of playing EQ-1 when servers were split due to over population. Large populations also suffer from a lack of groups. There are, and will always be that percentage of players that never seem to find groups because of tarnished reputations or lack of motivation. They don't participate (contribute effort) to a large guild that offers all they claim they desire in a game because they are only interested in progressing themselves and doing what they want, when they want and where they want.
  13. Griff Well-Known Member

I agree, it's just that so many have a mindset that if we combined everyone into a few servers, then those not desiring to group/raid would somehow be swayed to do so. In other words, if the buffet only offers creamed broccoli as the vegetable, then everyone will enjoy creamed broccoli.
  14. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I would like to move at least one of mine (either Unrestrained or Dracomuerte, since I've finished both of their Fabled Epic quests and, more importantly, neither of them have a counterpart on Unrest).

Edit: but not if I have to pay for it.
    Prissetta and Kurisutaru like this.
  15. BaconMacNcheese New Member

Dear Daybreak....... NOBODY is going to leave AB server to go somewhere else. As a matter of fact, what you are doing will totally destroy the game. AB is the ONLY server that has any type of population. If you make all of the servers have the status of "Light load" nobody will play. What you need to do is merge the servers so there are only 5. There should be 4 regular play servers and 1 PVP. Please listen to the players, and MERGE THE SERVERS!!!!!

PLEASE save the game now, before everyone else quits! The longer you wait to merge servers, the more people quit every day because they cannot find a group. PLEASE LISTEN TO US!!! MERGE THE SERVERS!!!!
  16. Losadunai Active Member

Here is what I don't understand. Why are so many people so bent on pointing out that Holly didn't ask for opinions or alternatives here? Why are so many people taking offense to this outcry of merges?

First of all, this is the forums, and it's Always going to end up with people voicing their opinions.

Which leads to secondly, this poll may only be on AB but the concept of it does effect all players on all servers depending on the outcome, and as people financially and emotionally invested in the game there is not only a need but a right to present those opinions - whether or not they are acknowledged or heeded.

So let people say what this poll leads them to think (as long as it can be done constructively) and don't worry about it. The devs are gonna do what the devs are gonna do - but they are going to do it knowing how people feel about it (including those who are saying "she didn't ask for your opinion").

EDIT: PS - If they aren't going to merge servers, then I would be rather pleased if they offered two free moves TO AB. I don't want to take all of my chars off Oasis, but there are two I do. I won't pay for it, at this point, so I am trying to decide what I want to do about that urge. They won't do that- offer free moves TO AB - so I am then left wishing my server had a larger population. On the bright side, I have seen people logging into Oasis and chatting with folks, to get a feel for whether they would like to move to Oasis if they did leave AB - so that's interesting!
  17. RIPeq2 New Member

Leave AB alone and create a new server anyone can transfer to for free. If at some point it is easier to merge the dead servers than maintain them, go for it, but we needed a solution 5 years ago, so acting NOW would be a good idea. I wonder how many have quit because of ghost towns. I did, came back and transferred to AB. I wish I could have convinced all of my in game friends to do the same before they quit too or at least make new toons there. Fix this, it is hurting your game badly.
  18. BaconMacNcheese New Member

Making a new server will only make the problem worse. COMBINE SERVERS to make the population MORE DENSE!!!!
  19. Kurisutaru Active Member

Well.. perhaps bringing up the subject of merging the other servers, over this poll, opened the door for people to voice their opinion on the matter. :p Not to mention, the outcome of this poll might in one way or another have "some" effect on other servers as well. :oops:
  20. rutro Well-Known Member

What we have here is what we had here ....last week....

Obviously, just my opinion and some of what I am going to say is in the past and gone. However, rant time...sorry!
    What I see as the major problems are:

1) Instead of building the game for the long haul. The game is/was appeasing the Elitists and long time players that cry and moan about gear, being bored, level caps etc. Example, nerfing classes to extinction because some SLR clown that sits in his mothers basement at age 35 is crying. The raiders that complain about good gear randomly dropping in any zone. (this one factor could have saved thousands of subscribers), but Sony listened to the drunk in the basement that probably does not even subscribe or spend a penny in or on the game. (Nothing good EVER drops from random mobs or advanced solo zones). If you are going to allow people to SLR of END game gear...(why not allow some sweet loot to drop off even a damn lizard in an overland zone?) Since little or NO useful gear drops randomly in ANY other zone other than raid...you are forced to buy the raid gear from the clowns in auction channel SLR> (SLR of raid gear=game over) (gives you nothing to look fwd to)
    2) Instead of making huge zones that are a major part of the games lore a desert. They could have just made the zones they have better and update loot databases. NOW, you have humongous zones and xpacs that are just one xpac ago...deserted...completely as in ...NO ONE goes there.
    3)The game has been slowly becoming all about plat. I have seen this in other MMOs...and it is a sign that the game is going to crash. Here is why, it will get so easy to max level/gear and there will be nothing to do. Also, the game has a feel that it is a job(not a game) to get plat. A good example is the SLR fiasco. You have a team of botters, and or old people that probably don't pay a dime or contribute to the game...SLR of END GAME GEAR...(completely undermines this once GREAT game).
    4) If you want to keep the base players that are subscribers (Money Makers). Quit appeasing the new generation of give me, give me...free and fast... AND start making the game like it used to be. A challenge, goal oriented, and adventurous. This game has gotten too easy, and currency driven. I am sorry, if you don't like leveling, you have done it a million time etc. If so, I suppose you are bored with the game...go find something else to do. You will be back anyway, because EQ2 is really the only kool MMO left.
    4) The awesome server move idea. It will do nothing. The aforementioned is what has gotten the population down. If the game does not go back to its roots...it is doomed. Although, some of the new content etc. Is super awesome :) You have forgotten the basics of what made this game awesome . It was not like all the other MMO...you actually had to work for something and group. Now, it is just a damn auction game with a bunch of whiners. (like me I guess...LOL!) New players will just login...be level 100 in a day or 2, learn how to make/buy plat, gear out, not find any groups, (because the old players are sitting in channel buying raid loot for their alts that HONESTLY don't/wont even play), be raid geared, get bored and quit and go back to WOW/////
    Nevermind likes this.