pronouncation

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-therodge, Aug 23, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Mirander_1 Guest

Heh, that was probably actually intentional. If you look around enough you can find a ton of little references like that in the Everquest world
  2. ARCHIVED-Kharadrim Guest

What sounds "foreign" or "fantasylike" to people depends a lot on their native language. I'm Dutch and I notice that my Dutch friends who also play EQ2 pronounce a lot of the things the same as I do. Because of the Dutch, we usually pronouce Qeynos as Kway-noss. E'ci as Ekki (maybe cause it looks a bit Italian?). Solusek as Sol-oo-sek, with a Latin "u", so to speak. The accent is on Sol, though.
  3. ARCHIVED-scl Guest

I say Var-len and Ill-you-side, but I'm British! :p
  4. ARCHIVED-MysidiaDrakkenbane Guest

really? I guess all of my friends in the UK are wrong, then.
  5. ARCHIVED-Zyphius Guest

Guess so... ;)
  6. ARCHIVED-Vhalen Guest

I say, ILL-OO-SIDE, but he tends to hate when I pronounce it that way.
  7. ARCHIVED-Lader Guest

I read Ill-uh-side, vaylen, jindrack
  8. ARCHIVED-Kriki Guest

Ilucide - i-loo-ci-day (accent on 1st and 3rd syllables)
    Vhalen - vay-len (accent on 1st syllable)
    Jindrack - gin-drak (accent on 1st syllable)

That's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Scarllett
    Everfrost
  9. ARCHIVED-Badtidings Guest

frahnk - en - steen
    eye - gore
  10. ARCHIVED-Atrix Wolfe Guest

As long as you don't say luck.lin for (luclin) I'm happy. Luke.lin sounds so much better. Being a moon and having the first two letters the same as lunar it gets the same assosication. Nobody says it lunner like runner. That would also drive me nuts.
    Message Edited by Atrix Wolfe on 09-08-2006 10:19 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Whazy Guest

Ok... I never knew how to pronounce this: Lxanvon. Any ideas?
  12. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

El-zhan-von or Li-zhan-von. Your choice.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ilucide Guest

All this time, and I've never seen this thread. I still have no idea how to pronounce Vhalen.

'ill - oo - sid' is my pronunciation. Sort of like 'il - lucid', or 'not clear thinking'.

Though I'll also accept 'ilu - cide', rather like 'death of light'.
  14. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

LOL oh wow. That must really say something if the Red Names don't even make contact with each other at the office.
  15. ARCHIVED-Dymus Guest

LOL oh wow. That must really say something if the Red Names don't even make contact with each other at the office.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it would be a bit strange to wander around the office calling each other by our message board names. :)
  16. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

Well, only because you know each other. All of us you cram together at fan faire only know each other by character/board names!

Not to mention those of us *used* to playing under assumed names live action...
  17. ARCHIVED-KerowynnKaotic Guest

*blush*
    uh .. yeah .. which is worse .. calling your co-worker by their "forum name or game name" or calling your husband (or wife) by their In-game name out of game ...
    *blush* ...
    Not that I have done that .. (many times) ...
    But! Oh! Man! My boss/partner is my former EQ1 "spouse" and it took ages for me to stop thinking of him as [ in game name ] verses [ real name ].
    Then there is my assistant .. occassionally I will refer to him as his [ in game name ] verses his [ real name ] ...
    *sigh* ... When Game life collides with Real life ...
  18. ARCHIVED-Ilucide Guest

It would be really, REALLY hard for me not to talk to Vhalen at work, being as how he and Jindrack share an office with me. :smileysurprised:

As Dymus pointed out though, being as how we're at least partially human, we tend to use real names to speak with each other, both in and outside the office.
  19. ARCHIVED-NoNameChosen Guest

/ignore ;)
  20. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

I've been called by character name more times than I can count. Even my boyfriend tended to call me by my name in SWG when we played (he less often calls me Rijacki or Jacki) and I use his character name almost more than his real name... but that's because that was the first name he was introduced to me as and is the nickname he most often uses *chuckle* (and uses for at least 1 character in every game he plays... while I change mine every time).

Over the years, I would answer to Alienor (from being in the SCA), Pagan (BBS handle for a few years), Caillou (EQ1), Tess (SWG), Rijacki/Jacki or Oh (EQ2), Shrew or TShrew or ShrewKat, Kat or Kitten, and more.. *laugh*

There have been times I was sure my given name was entirely forgotten amoung a group of people.