pronouncation

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-therodge, Aug 23, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Vobe Guest

Oh, I just thought of another one that drives me crazy.

"Riposte"

This is a fencing term, which we used often.... back in my fencing class in college.

It is: "ri - post"

It is not "ree - poh - zay" or whatever other crazy pronunciations I keep hearing on voice chat. Feel free to look it up, there is only one pronunciation for it.
  2. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

Gotta add my many cp...

First, my character's name: Barx Atthemoon.

"Barx" is pronounced as you think it is: like Barks (as in the dog barks).

"Atthemoon" is not pronouced "At The Moon". It's pronouced "ath-uh-moon" Its like two words, Atthe and moon, instead of 3-words.

Now, onto Gods!

KWEL-e-ous (Quellious)

TU-narre (Tunare) (Tu pronouced like in french, with the 2 r's meaning I extend the r sound, instead of Tu -nair its Tu- narr with a sort of light sigh at the end being the e.

KAH-zik Thuul (Cazic Thule)

MITH-ahn-iel Marr (Mithanial Marr) (Marr pronouced like the enlish word "mar")

EHR-rohl-issy Marr (Erollisi Marr) (I use more of an "e" and less of an "a" sound, as I think it shuold be).

Zee-go-nee (Xegony)

Feh-nin Roe (Fennin Ro)

The Wrath(The Rathe) (Yes, I pronouce "Rathe" like "Wrath" only with less of a "w" sound and more of the r"

Ber-tox-you-lous (Bertoxxulous)

Brell Sir - illis (Brell Serilis)

Sol-you-sekk Roe (Solusek Ro)

In-nor-rook (Innoruuk) (with the o's being a very long, almost un-americanly-long o sound, think of the ue sound in "rue" only a bit longer)

Zeb-Uhks-or-Ruk (Zebuxoruk)

Saar-in (Saryrn) (I know I pronouce this one wrong -- for me that second r is silent)

TER-isss Thuule (Terris Thule) (TER being liek the beginning of "Terror" -- TER-is instead of Ther is)

Bristle-bane Fizzle-thorpe (Bristlebane) (Hes real easy to pronouce IMHO)

Vee-shan (Veeshan) (just like its spelled)

Rod-Set Knife (Rodcet Nife)

Rall-Ohs Zek (Rallos Zek)

Sull-on Zek (Sullon Zek) (like sullen, only with more of a "on" instead of "in"

Talon Zek (Tallon Zek) (just like the word "talon")

Valon Zek (Vallon Zek) (just like "talon" only with a "v" sound instead of "t"

Prek-sus (Prexus)

Cah-rah-na (Karana)
  3. ARCHIVED-Seffrid Guest

That would be a fair point, but for the fact that we are playing in a fictitious fantasy world where the words and pronunciation of the real world have little relevance.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

Most of the developers at the Atlanta FanFaire referred to him as Lord "Vim".
  5. ARCHIVED-BaruMonkey Guest

Update: This does not work well when all of the "inside" letters are exactly reversed from the original word:
    Mroe dluciffit, i'nst it? I tnihk i'ts besuace the iraidemretny lrettes tned to be gepuord tehtegor in pemenohs taht the hamun mnid rdaes in slaml cknuhs, lkie "ck" and "ou," wcihh get dezinagrosid wehn eltcaxy resreved.
    Message Edited by BaruMonkey on 08-28-2006 11:23 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-Desdichada Guest

This is exactly the way I felt about Kaynoss. I originally learned the British English to compliment my native Russian, plus after studying Tolkien, I always pronounce ending -e in all propper names in EQ. It has always been Thooleh and Ratheh to me. I can imagine that many Slavs would pronounce it Cazich as well...
  7. ARCHIVED-Monnkees Guest

They are using a real word though. Mountains and rivers is still pronounced mountains and rivers, regardless of it being in a fantasy setting. Steppe was not a made up word, so they cant just tack whatever pronunciation they like onto it lol. If I heard someone talking about mountains and they pronounced it moo-un-tah-eens, you bet Id correct it! lol the word steppe is no different. It is a less used word yes, but that doesnt mean you can say it however you like (well you can....buuut I dont wanna go there for now lol).
    I am still having difficulties with Lucklin :smileytongue: There was no pronunciation guide...so we made our own rules hehe.
  8. ARCHIVED-Uanelven Guest

Probably the reason I have always pronounced it "Key" is comes from the word Quay which sort of fits it's traditional function as a port city.
  9. ARCHIVED-LordBanxter Guest

I'm rather new to all this and was wondering about a few pronunciations myself, personally, I say Tune-ARE-ee (Tunare), and since Luclin is the goddess of shadows, I always thought that LUSS-lin sounded better in my head than either LUCK-lin or LOOSE-lin, but as the point has been made countless times, its varying pronunciations of imaginary words for the most part, and left up to whoever is saying it. For instance, my current main is named Preyforme, which is pronounced to me as PREY-for-me and not PREY-form as some people seem to think it is.
    Oh well, these are the main reasons I hardly ever use teamspeak, since the printed word cannot in any circumstances be misconstrued.
  10. ARCHIVED-Lastdeadmouse Guest

Ok I got one for ya. We all know that SoW stands for Spirit of the Wolf, but how do you pronounce SoW? Is is SoW like "sow your wild oats" or "sew a button on", or is it SoW, as in a female pig?
  11. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

This is probably the most debated pronounciation for as long as the series existed. I pronounce it "So", as in "So what?"
  12. ARCHIVED-DreamerCloud9 Guest

The E in "bye" does nothing to the pronounciation of the actual word. How do you pronounce the word "by" and the word "bye" ? The same, correct?
  13. ARCHIVED-Hannalynn Guest

I guess I'll jump on and say how I pronouce them, though it's really interesting to see the different ways people are saying things and pronouncing them. There are obviously the ways the devs intended them to sound, but I guess in the who looking at languages, there isn't a really wrong way to say it... imo. Depending where you're from and what languages you've been exposed to, can affect how you put together two letters. Having played EQ since mid beta days, most of these pronunciations I've been using forever and well they've just stuck :)

Kel-ee-ous (Quellious)
    Toon-are-ay (Tunare)
    Ca-zik Thool (Cazic Thule)
    Mith-an-ee-al Marr (Mithanial Marr)
    Ear-all-is-ee Marr (Erollisi Marr)
    Zeg-oh-nee (Xegony)
    Fenn-in Ro (Fennin Ro)
    The Rayth (The Rathe)
    Ber-tox-you-lous (Bertoxxulous)
    Brell Ser-ell-iss (Brell Serilis)
    Sol-you-sek Roh (Solusek Ro)
    Inn-or-ruk (Innoruuk)
    Zeb-uhk-zor-ruk (Zebuxoruk)
    Sar-ay-en (Saryrn)
    Ter-ris Thool (Terris Thule)
    Brys-tul-bayn (Bristlebane)
    Veesh-ahn (Veeshan)
    Rod-set Nyfe (Rodcet Nife)
    Ral-lohs Zek (Rallos Zek)
    Sul-lon Zek (Sullon Zek)
    Tal-lon Zek (Tallon Zek)
    Val-lon Zek (Vallon Zek)
    Prek-sus (Prexus)
    Car-ah-na (Karana)
    Druh-zil Ro (Druzzil Ro)
    E-oh-ni Ro (Ayonae Ro)
    Loose-lin (Luclin)
    Po-vahr (Povar)
    Ee-chi (E'ci)
    Tar-oo Marr (Tarrew Marr)
    Veye-min (Vyemm)
    Fee-rot (Feerrott)
    Nah-gah-fen (Nagafen)
    Kay-nohs (Qeynos)
    Fel-with (Felwithe)
    Kela-thin (Kelethin)
    -------------------------
    Those are all I can think of right now... this is quite an interesting thread :)
  14. ARCHIVED-Grozmok Guest

I always pronounce it 'Kay-Nose', as 'Key-Nose'... doesn't seem right. :p

But then again I always get flamed on vent for it ("Kaynose? Where's Kaynose?? You have a WHAT claymore??").
  15. ARCHIVED-KazzySoJazzy Guest

I laugh everytime I hear someone say Re-posty making the te sound like a ty.
  16. ARCHIVED-RaphaNissi Guest

Since this is the lore forums..how do you guys pronounce Vhalen, Ilucide, and Jindrack?
  17. ARCHIVED-KazzySoJazzy Guest

I am not an expert by any means but I would say

Vhalen = Vay-lin
    ILucide = E-lu-sid (if it is double LL I would say You-Sid)
    Jindrack = Yin-Drak (drak-ota drak sound)
  18. ARCHIVED-Jindrack Guest

Jindrack = JIN-drak
    Message Edited by Jindrack on 09-06-2006 07:52 PM
  19. ARCHIVED-EQ2Playa432 Guest

Eh-LOO-cide is how I pronounce Ilucide.
  20. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

Yeah, I believe Vah-laen is supposed to be, but for some reason it reminds me "Van Halen" band :D