please don't make those of us with wings need flying mounts!

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-tortoisegirl, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Artalis the Elder Guest

Again Avirodar, you miss the point in blindly supporting your own short-sighted agenda. The point is, some races have abilities that others do not. And please answer the question rather than continuing to spew useless nonsense. How does a particular flying mount appearance give Fae or Arasai an advantage? What is this great imbalance you fear? I'm very curious.
  2. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

Kiki@Guk wrote:
    *sneezes due to the fairy rage-dust* I am flying!!

The topic of the Faes flying is not a new one. This is not the only thread it has been discussed in. The EQ2 Dev team came out and said Fae were never intended to fly, just glide. If the Devs had intended for Fae to be able to fly, they would have been all over it as soon as player-controllable flight was introduced with DoV. And guess what? They did not.

It is quite clear that you are upset, and grasping for stra... earth fairies, to find any excuse you can to "justify" your fae being able to engage in full flight, without a mount showing. It is not the design and intention of the race to be able to do such. So in this land of "magic", your Fae has no more right to engage in full flight without the appearance of a mount, than my Dark Elf does.

It is not imbalance, it is the lore and design of EQ2, and I hope the Devs stick to it.

Ahhhchoo!
  3. ARCHIVED-Artalis the Elder Guest

Actually, since you've stooped to ridicule and absurd assumptions regarding my emotional state I think we're dealing with a case of projection. It's readily apparent that it is you who are upset, not I. Personally, I'm just tired. Mostly from dealing with children who can't carry on a civil discussion because they are protected by the anonymity of the internet and they feel that it's more important to make someone else look ridiculous than to actually have an intelligent discussion. See a discussion requires listening on both sides. I listened to your side and agreed, it would be unfair and unbalanced for Fae and Arasai to be able to fly without a mount. They should have to do the same quests as everyone else, wait the same amount of time as everyone else and so on. Where is it written however, that all races would look the same in flight? What difference does it make, really? if the speed and flight mechanics are the same where is this great injustice you are so up in arms over? The fact of the matter is, flight in general was never intended originally. The Dev team has said many things over the years. No RMT No Flying Mounts No More Classes Etc. In short, if your were attempting to convince me that you are right, you fail. If you are attempting to poke fun at me and sit behind your monitor tittering over the cutsey little jabs...? Well congratulations, you managed to make yourself look both immature and self-centered. Good job.
  4. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

So in short, you were unable to respond directly to any point made in my prior post, aside from the first and last line? You only helped to make my point. Take a couple of deep, slow breaths, and read the contents of my prior post, between the first and last lines. The points made, stand.

You ask where the injustice is? The same place the justice is for all of the creatures in and out of video games, that have wings of some description, but can not initiate, or sustain effective flight. It is a cold, cruel world!

EQ2 Dark Elves are a race with a magical ability of flight (Hover). Fae are a race with a flimsy pair of frail wings that struggle to allow them to glide. If anyone is entitled to the ability to actually fly, without use of a mount, Dark Elves should be able to do such before Fae. But I am not calling for my Dark Elf to be a black version of Clark Kent, it would look silly. The last thing I want to see in EQ2, is a Fae using an ogre illusion, while on an "invisible mount", after using stackable size boosting clickies. Expecting SOE to go to numerous lengths to prevent rediculous forms of giant Fae flying around, is a bit over the top.

Simple solution : If a Fae wants to fly, use a pre-designated flying mount form like the rest of us.
  5. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

Personally I think it would be nice if my Fae could appear to fly, but it's not really that big of a deal to me. It's purely cosmetic. The invisible flying mount idea for everyone is not a bad idea as also it would help eliminate lag in raid zones since you can't hide flying mounts. So what if people are running in the sky it would be kind of funny to watch but I don't think it would break anything.
  6. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

Brienae@Lucan DLere wrote:
    Now there is an idea that is not self-centered, and takes all races into consideration. Impressive. :)

However, I would prefer the option to disable the graphic of flying mounts, given in the same manner we can disable land based mounts.

An invisible flying mount appearance item is only useful for people who need it, it everyone else uses it (good luck). To be an effective change on behalf of those who are not on the fastest system, it should be a local user end choice that is a global override. Or they could do both, add invisible flying mounts and the global override...

However, I would prefer to see flight in EQ2 remain in a form that requires a specific flying mount, for the reasons the Devs themselves have cited. But if it was a change done for all, it would be fair, and not a big deal.
  7. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

Wish I could take credit but in another thread the idea was mentioned and one of the devs said it was a good idea worth looking into but we shall see.
  8. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    I see no problem with the sylvani form being able to fly as you suggested. Heck the NPC slyvani already fly in kelethin.
  9. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

This is what it looks like, folks. Believe me, it's nothing great or special, and thus, isn't anything worthy of being added into the game as a normal feature.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

This is not an exploit or anything. It's just my own client patcher not properly loading up all the graphics when I log in. Nothing I can control.
  10. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

The cape cloak makes that a screenshot full of win. If only your toon was wearing dark blue spandex, with red underwear on the outside. The only thing missing at that point, would be a pair of Fae wings stuck on her back!
  11. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

12. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Kiki@Guk wrote:
    Safe fall and tracking are indeed unfair advantages given to some races (not to mention races that have both tracking and safefall *cough* kerra *cough*) but I have more or less given up on trying to get those changed. Disarming traps on the other hand is totally useless now considering that even fabled chests fo the highest level are about as dangerous as getting hit a couple times by a solo mob.
  13. ARCHIVED-Artalis the Elder Guest

Oh an Exquisite chest can still kill you if you are low enough level and have crappy enough gear. I've killed plenty of my friends that I was power-leveling. Not that I mind, that's part of the fun. :) Also there are traps that are quite serious like the ones in Guk. What about the gnomish repair bot ability? That's worth a bout a plat per night of hard raiding. The Ogre ability Impenetrable Will? 10 second Stun Immunity every 5 mins? I like these abilities, I like that some races have advantages in certain situations, it adds flavor. My point is that I think it's not unbalancing at all to give different races, different mount (appearance) options. Would be kinda neat if they did racial flying mounts for ALL races and let the fae/arasai pick an invisible mount if they want, while other races got things like wyvrens, hippogriff, giant eagles and so on.
  14. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Kiki@Guk wrote:
    1. People being PLed have pretty much as crappy equipment as anything, of course a chest will kill them; that doesn't make disarm trap usefull.
    2. Guk traps as well as all instance traps can only be disarmed by scouts, doesn't matter if you have racial disarm trap or not. Not to mention all the zones with traps are now quite outdated.
    3. Oh wow, one plat, really?
    4. 10 second stun immunity that can't be cast while stunned, not usefull unless you can predict the future.
    5. Except that certain traits are not usefull except in the most situational of situations or even not usefull ever. While others are usefull all or most of the time. Also the advantages that certain races get doesn't even make any sense.
    6. It is when it gives certain races a disproportional advantage overall and not just in some situations.
    7. Only if fae cannot use any of the other mounts.
  15. ARCHIVED-Artalis the Elder Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    1. Not useful to you doesn't mean not useful. Sorry but you are not the only one playing this game.
    2. Didn't know that, but it explains some things. Of course you don't know if that's intended or a bug and you don't know that it will never be used in the future.
    3. Yep. Guess what? A plat is precisely 100gold more than nothing. Its an advantage also in the fact that if you don't have a bot handy, or don't happen to be carrying money on that toon you can still repair your crap convienantly.
    4. Ever hear of ACT? Know what an AOE timer is?
    5.I agree that there is very little rhyme or reason to what races get what and how much of it. It is not how I would have done things.
    6. Correct.
    7. *shrug* Whatever.
  16. ARCHIVED-Iskandar Guest

1. Didn't this thread used to have something to do with wings or flight or something?
    2. And Fae... I think Fae were involved, too. And maybe Arasai.
    3. OK, why am I numbering my sentences?
    4. I could really go for a soda right about now...
    5. Or maybe I've had too much caffeine already...
    6. Cause this is silly funny to me!
    7. I blame the Gnomes. I always blame the Gnomes. Because.
    8. We now return to the numbered points thread, already in progress....
    PS - 9. Sorry, I just couldn't resist!
  17. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Kiki@Guk wrote:
    1. Yes it does mean not usefull because it is not only not usefull to me but it is also not useful to almost everyone playing the game and for the few it is usefull for, it's only in occasional situations.
    2. It does not matter if it was intended or if it was a bug. It does not work and they do not seem to care to fix it.
    3. Again, incredibly situational and unless you are a total slacker 100g is insignificant. Now don't say "well it's significant to lower levels and people who solo" because it would not cost anywhere near 1p for them to fully repair their armor.
    4. ACT timers are not totally accurate and even if they were it would be of very limited usefullness to anyone but raiders. Reguardless it is still one of the better racial traits as compared to garbage like disarm trap or rob.
    5. That is my biggest problem with it.
  18. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

Avirodar@Oasis wrote:
    To a certain extent you are right, there are people in this t hread that clearly have at least one fairy toon and they support the motion; then you have open-minded people that either support it, or have no objection to it; and you have the fairy-haters that seem totally incapable of rational thought. They throw in irrelevances like lore, and dodos, and other nonsense, without actually using their brains and thinking about the issue. I really don't know why I bother responding to them, because t hey never listen, and they never understand.

Cusashorn wrote:
    This is a Judgement on you for not supporting fairy rights. Clearly one of them has dusted you.

Kiki@Guk wrote:
    Only if you remember to use it!

Lethe5683 wrote:
    Hell! Kerra should have featherfall! They are CATS!! Kerra-hater!
  19. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

Iskandar wrote:
    Gnome hater.
  20. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

Avirodar@Oasis wrote:
    Right. Makes me wonder if you read the post from the beginning. Many of us have been saying that it would just be nice to go back to the excellent system of having another appearrance mount, or have the appearrance of no mount at all. Others have complained about the prospect of the "Superman" effect, and so we said it could just be for the winged races, but really, I would prefer to go back to just having what I want as an appearrance, instead of always riding the gryphon.
    The same goes for the leaping and gliding mounts. Quite frankly, my kerra monk should be able to leap like Jackie Chan anyway.