please don't make those of us with wings need flying mounts!

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-tortoisegirl, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-tortoisegirl Guest

i know this is still in beta, but i can't help but think about how silly it's going to be for fae and arasai to need to have flying mounts to do what we can already do. clearly we can already fly a foot or so above the ground, so why require us to have a special mount to do the same thing at a higher altitude? i understand that, in order to be fair to all players of all races, we should have to go through something -- perhaps pay to buy a higher flying skill for the same price as others would pay to buy the flying mount, or something similar? at the very least, please give us winged players the ability to hide our flying mount!
  2. ARCHIVED-Raetsel Guest

fae and arasai cannot fly, they can just glide.
  3. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

I don't know that the "flying mounts" are actually going to fly. One of the promo emails I saw said something about a "flying griffon mount appearance", which makes me suspect that these people will be flapping on the ground and not soaring the friendly skies.
    We'll have to wait and see!
  4. ARCHIVED-JoarAddam Guest

These little speculations about how SOE is going to scroo us all over get more and more wild every day
  5. ARCHIVED-Arianah Guest

Not everything that has wings can actually fly.
  6. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

Never mind I can not seem to figure out how to post a working screenshot... so ignore this post
    [IMG]
  7. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

JoarAddam wrote:
    Not a speculation, here's where I saw it:
    [IMG]
  8. ARCHIVED-Hilt Guest

Lunamoth@Oasis wrote:
    Fae and Arasai don't fly. They hover. At BEST they glide.
    So...technically that makes you penguins as far as your wings go.
    Don't make me get out my big dead fish weapon and slap you upside the head, asking for the automatic ability to fly without having to quest for the same ability ALL of us are going to be striving for on our non-penguin toons.
  9. ARCHIVED-Sluggo Guest

Hilt wrote:
    She did say that "in order to be fair to all players of all races, we should have to go through something -- perhaps pay to buy a higher flying skill for the same price as others would pay to buy the flying mount, or something similar?"
    So put your big dead fish away.
  10. ARCHIVED-Hilt Guest

Sluggo wrote:
    BUT I WANT TO WIELD MY BIG DEAD FISH!!!
  11. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Sluggo wrote:
    That is still time/resources spent for races that not everyone even plays. It is better off making all things equal by not giving any special treatment.
  12. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Sigrdrifa@Lucan DLere wrote:
    Considering the Fan Faire video shows a player flying around in the air on a flying mount...
  13. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Gaige wrote:
    Now I have to go mess around in Beta some and find out! However, I will note that you can get amazing flying shots by jumping off N'Marr's ascent wearing a floaty cloak, even today.
  14. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Sigh.
    Fine, since you continue to argue:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxdmE7UUtf4
    Fast forward to 1:38.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Raetsel@Valor wrote:
  16. ARCHIVED-Stubbswick Guest

Yeah, definitely mounts that actually fly. They promised that at fanfaire, and fielded questions (i.e. what zones can you "fly" in, how high you'll be able to go, etc). It's pretty much the only thing they actually promised at fanfaire. So it would be a pretty big fail if they didn't actually fly.
    In response to the OP, I believe they've answered this before and said basically fae and arasai wings aren't meant for flying, and therefore they won't be able to fly without a mount. And really that's how it should be - it wouldn't be fair for two races to suddenly be able to fly without an extra mount or anything.
  17. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

That sounds more like it's an apperance only mount to me... Especially considering all they've said about flying mounts. I really don't think we're going to see hovering mounts like carpets and disks, because why call them flying if they're the same as things we can get now?
  18. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Make it a Quest to get flight strength wings/magic lev....That reminds me are classes going to get a lev spell now?
  19. ARCHIVED-DrkVsr Guest

Arasai & Fae are more like chickens than penguins (penguins are closer to seals than birds in the use of their flippers)
    The bugs have a quest (or used to) to turn themselves into specks of dust with wings, no other race can do that, so giving them a high level quest to strengthen their wings that is comparative to getting a winged mount shouldn't put them at an unfair advantage as it would work out the same (time & monetary cost-wise) and it might turn into a disadvantage if the flying bugs can't use a regular flying mount (can you imagine either a tiny griffin for the bugs the size of a seagull or hawk? or a tiny bug trying to sit on the back of a regular sized griffin?)
  20. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    No and no.

DrkVsr wrote:
    That would be fine if and only if there was absolutly no discerable difference (other than appearance) between the flying mount and the ability that arasai/fae get.