please don't make those of us with wings need flying mounts!

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-tortoisegirl, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Peogia wrote:
    You have got to be kidding... For certain race to not only have easy access to flying but to have faster flying speed than normal would be asinine.
  2. ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74 Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    Dude, just go along with flying fae, so that we can all then have a strong case for Superman capes, jetpacks, and rocket boots for everyone else to eventually gain full flight at the same level that fae are able to go for it.
  3. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    As pointed out several times freeblood fly already after doing a high level quest for a special illusion. Fae/arsai should be given the same ability. This in turn is the same as ANY other player in game being able to do the mount quest and gain flight and thus there is no balace issue and everything is fair.
  4. ARCHIVED-Liyle Guest

Maybe it would be more fair and balanced if Fae/Arasai didn't have the same strength as trolls and ogres. That's always struck me as bizarre. IMHO balancing the races would only add interest to the game. Speaking of which, flying fairies in EQ2 would add an awesome factor which would help draw players, as opposed to cutting back and making do which will only lead to boredom and stagnation; the end result of which is a dead game. They are going to have to take risks and innovate if the game is going to thrive.
  5. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

why is it that people that want fae to fly won't accept the compromise of it being like the freebloods and attached to thier racial illusion they get? oh and so you know, you don't get that 'special illusion' through that quest. you have to buy it off the marketplace, adn once you have it you can do a quest that lets it become your 'flying mount'.
    probably becuase they want to use it as a precedent to 'no appearance mount' flight.
    I wouldn't mind at all seeing the flying carpets actually fly. they put pegasus on the SC market, we got the lil tinkertoy mount appearance. I wouldn't mind more appearance mounts. gimme a drakota or a wyvern while they are at it.
    but frankly I think time would be better spent elsewhere then them making new animations for the races/genders so that you can have your 'no appearance' super saijin-ish flight.
    as to the person mentioning it's 'quite clear' the wings were to fly with...no. it is specifically stated thier wings CANNOT support thier flight, that it supports them being able to glide. there's a BIG difference in being able to fly, and being able to glide. yes the most magically attuned races, the high/dark elves and the Erudites, have the ability to focus thier innate magical talent to 'slowfall'. the fae simply jump and spread thier wings and glide.

But I want to hear why everyone wanting flying fae refuse the lore-supported compromise of attaching it to the little 'tinkerbell' fairy illusion. you get flight in the same manner as the freeblood, the lore works for it. just make a quest series like they did with the freebloods, using the illusion are your 'flying mount'. Why won't that work for you?
  6. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Gungo@Crushbone wrote:
    It is not the same as any other player being able to do the mount quest, it is a unique quest and way to fly for that specific race only. I hardly agreed with the vamps getting the ability to fly without a mount either but there's not much I can do about that.
  7. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Liyle wrote:
    There is no chance that they are going to change all the races significantly for realism reasons even though I would like that myself (if they did it right). Sure Ogres should be strong but they also shouldn't be able to dodge more or less anything and should not have the ability to stealth. However, doing that would be about as likely as them deciding to make SC free and removing the monthly fee.
  8. ARCHIVED-Winter Guest

I pushed for this at last year's Fan Faire and a bit this year. I still think Fae and Arasai should be able to fly with the their currently equipped mount speeds and bonuses. A unique racial quest would make sense, perhaps a continuation of the Fae 'awakening' storyline. I still don't understand bats flying, but Sylvani form not flying. I'm sorry, but if I transform myself into a bud of my soul, well... I'm probably doing more than just hovering. Just makes sense, and no new animations would be required really considering the Sylvani Form already has a fairly distinctive flight animation to it. ANYWAY, yeah, I agree, but I don't think it's going to happen.
    [IMG]
  9. ARCHIVED-Liyle Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    Actually the monthly fee is gone if you want it to be (Extended.) However, you are right that it would be a major undertaking to balance the races and particularly just for flying Fae. Personally I don't see flying as a big deal to implement. If flying were granted faes in the form of "invisible" mounts and given that flying is basically swimming, as well as the existence of Sylvani form it seems quite doable to me. The only stumbling block is whiners who think it isn't "fair" that their ogres can't sprout wings and fly too. Geez guys just be happy for the little fairies and hope something equally cool comes along for your race in time. Maybe my point is that everyone doesn't have to be identical to be "balanced."
  10. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    Its not a unique way to fly. Its an appearance change. There is no gameplay difference regardless of quest. Same speed, same time to do the quest, same level. Do you even know what balance means? honestly its the SAME exact flight, except instead of flyign on the gryphon the freeblood (and arsai/fae if they give them a quest) fly using a different APPEARANCE. There is NO balance issue gameplay wise.Also whether you agree with it or not the freebloods HAVE this already in game and thus there is precedent which makes this suggestion fair.
  11. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Gungo@Crushbone wrote:
    It's comparable to adding a new animation or appearance for a race for no logical reason. It's adding a unique quest and appearance for two races only for an illogical reason while limiting the rest to the generic ugly griffons.
  12. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    As a brawler you have your own animations already. Many races in game already has thier own animations (do/dance on a fae). Each race has thier own appearance already. Many races even have thier own armour such as helms on sarnaks.
    Also the unique appearance is not unique. The cloud of bats is already in game as an illusion for everyone. The fae/arsai suggestion is for NO illusion or to use their already in game sylvani form. Neither of which is a new unqiue appearance. The generic ugly (<- your opinion) griphon appearance is your choice there are now multiple flying npc appearances you can use where as the above suggestion is for these races to have NO appearance or unique models.
    Again everything you are crying about is already in game and has been for a VERY long time. The only issue you can have with this suggestion thats unfair in such a menial way is if you are a hardcore quester and this gives fae/arsai an additional quest, but this is hardly even an argument since no two races/class combinations have the exact quest amount anymore.
  13. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

Morghus wrote:
    Having fae appear to fly over their gryphon requires no animation at all, they already appear to flutter through the air, they would just flutter a lot higher and faster. This is perhaps another valid reason to just do it before worrying about how other races can do the same. I still haven't seen anyone explain how horrendously advantaged the fae will be over other races if they appear to not be on their gryphons. My gnome, dark-elf, human, halfling, kerra, wood-elf, or ogre toons would not feel disadvantaged, and I would not feel they were when I was playing them. But fae have wings, let them fly like any other self-respecting fairy.
    Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    Because the illusion looks stupid. I prefer that my toon to look like itself. I actually had a discussion with my daughter on the bats issue, as her vampire experience is essentially based of Buffy and Twilight. The previous Earth lore on vamps, for instance as expounded in Bella Lugosi movies, is that they could turn into bats, or in some cases a cloud of bats. Hats off to SOE for not extracting their vamp lore entirely from Buffy and Twilight there.
    For this and other posters still going on about lore, clearly the lore on the matter is mistaken, based on earlier evidence, now shown to be erroneous by a Norrath-wide paradigm shift in the understanding of flying. It seems that wings are for flying with! Go figure. This may provide further understanding of how other people might be able to fly in Norrath, but it is certainly time that the very simple process of giving our fairies some self-respect has come.
  14. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Gungo@Crushbone wrote:
  15. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Aelfan wrote:
    It's been explicitly stated that fae can't fly. Why is that so hard to understand?
  16. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    The Fae are the same as the Dodo, the Ostrich, the Emu, the Chicken, the Penguin, and the Turkey. THEY CANT FLY WITH THIER WINGS.
  17. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Turkeys can fly.
  18. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Oh that's right, they can, can't they? Well the rest still cant.
  19. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    Good Lord, have you read any of the posts or just come in at the end? LORE says they can't fly; NO-ONE could fly in this game NOW THEY CAN. Lore changes with new information, new knowledge or new situations, on Norrath as well as on Earth. Lore is merely an artifice of the devs to tell you why things can't happen, when they CAN happen, the lore can be changed. Fairies fly, live with it.
    Cusashorn wrote:
    You think that is relevant? These are flightless birds on Earth with puny wings or domesticated birds which have their wings clipped to stop them engaging in the little bit of flying that domestication would otherwise have allowed them. Fairies of Earth can fly. The Norrathian fairies are based on Earth fairies, with the same large wing-span as one would expect based on that derivation. Norrathian fairies could not fly previously because NO-ONE COULD FLY and so the devs made up this nonsensical lore to explain why our fairies can't fly. NOW EVERYONE CAN FLY. Are you following me so far? No matter how implausible it may be that a gryphon or pegasus can fly (which it is, exceedingly so) they can now fly in Norrath, and even more absurdly, carry our toons while they do it.
    All that us fairy-flyers are asking is that along with the other flying appearrances that the devs are undoubredly working on, there is one which allows our winged toons to fly with the appearrance of no gryphon. This would require no new animation, hardly any work at all, in fact, apart from creating an item that can be popped into the mount appearrance slot to say no visible gryphon; and, of course, to correct this obvious error in Norrathian lore.
  20. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

Lethe5683 wrote: