please don't make those of us with wings need flying mounts!

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-tortoisegirl, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-pixiepuff12 Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    Wait... so is getting a gryphon "special treatment" No, it's a quest.. and they fae have to get to level 86 and do a quest too. Get over it, and if you don't like it.. don't play a fae or do the quest. As I understand it, any appearance wings can be used in the same way. All of the other faeries of Norrath fly, just not the Arasai and Fae player races. Why should those yellow fae and those mermaid looking ones fly but we can't? The only real reason we couldn't fly was, up till now, no players could fly. Now, we all have the oppurtunity to fly, either on a Gryphon, a Pegasus or with the cloud of bats, which isn't really a mount. What does it matter to you if we have our own power to fly? People just want something to complain about.

And, heck.. I personally don't see why a wizzy couldnt go on a quest to get a spell that lets him fly. *shrug* The devs just dont want what they call "superman" flight.
  2. ARCHIVED-InsaneChaosMarine Guest

Every race is getting something cool.
  3. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

Absyntheea@Lucan DLere wrote:
    no, appearance wings won't work yet. they said they were looking into it as possible. okay and lets go over this, yet again. the other faeries of norrath are also about the height of a fae's calf, thier wings are almost the entire length of thier bodies and then some, and they have insect wings, like a bee or a wasp or a dragonfly. which are more rigid and made for sustained straight flight.
    Fae wings are like a butterfly or a moth. now picture a butterfly, and look at the size those wings need to be, compared to the size of the body, to be able to 'fly'. also note a butterfly can and is, shoved all over the place in flight by the slightest breezes of wind. ever seen a moth fly in a straight line? again, the slightest winf send them all over becuase thier wings are so flimsy.
    This was stated in the lore on the fae race. thier wings were simply not able to support thier weight in flight. even gliding, thier wings bend like parachutes. It was the price they paid from growing from pixie size to gnome/halfling/dwarf size. they gained the benefits of being larger, while sacrficing free flight.
    Now they are adding in a quest to give them free flight. yay for all you whiners that complained about it. heaving forvid something with wings not fly. (oh and as an aside, most if not all Arasai don't have wings. they process of turning them to arasai destroys them. they have prosthetics made by the DEs) Now they said they came up with a decent quest with lore to support it.
    IF they come up with a reason that makes some kind of relatively decent sense, ( ie this generation of Fae's wings are stronger because of all the gliding your ancestors did and they've adapted over the generations, so you can try to learn to develop 'sustained flight' )then I'll be alright. but if it's it some kinda of 'gather me this special pollen for super steroid pixies dust to shower you with' I'll be even more so annoyed then I am now.
    In short, I was perfectly fine gliding and looking to get a griffon/pegasus. But if they want to revamp the lore to give them flight, at least do a decent job of it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Liyle Guest

The smaller the being the less muscle is needed, that's why ants wouldn't be as strong (proportionally) if they were huge. Mosquitos aren't exactly Arnold-esque... Silvani form is very tiny.
  5. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

I really don't get why so many people seem to be so against this idea. So people got something they'd been asking for, for a long time. Big deal. So Fae and Arasai have to level to 85/86, do a special quest, and then can fly. How is this any different than any other character having to level up to that level and do the quest for their mount?

If the problem is just that they're too big to fly, maybe the quest will give a modified version of the sylvani/unseelee form that Fae and Arasai already get. If you've never seen it, there is absolutely no reason they could not fly in these forms. They become tiny little dots of light with wings. We don't yet know how they're going to do this, so why not wait and see before throwing fits about it.
  6. ARCHIVED-Ahlana Guest

Nevissa@Crushbone wrote:
    I bet it is going to be that form as well. Just like Vamps turn to the bats for flight.
  7. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Your right because hovering just a few inches off the ground uses SOOOOOOO much less energy and power then flying at altitude and speed...Oh wait...no it is accually HOVERING* that uses more energy...odd that.
    *oh and the Fae/Arasi RESTING stat is Hovering.
  8. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    Um last I checked a butterfly and moth at REST are phyically standing on the Ground or some other soild object. However, a Fae/Arasi AT REST is FLYING about 2 inches or so above the ground and consitering staying in one place above the ground IRL requires more energy and/or strength then forward flight does, how do you explain in RL terms that...the truth is you can't.
    It is NOT the Fae/Arasi wings that allow them to fly it is MAGIC, right now thier MAGIC isn't strong enough to allow them full on fight ablities, so it will HAVE to be thier an increase to thier MAGIC that restores full flight to them.
    Basically, the magic that increased thier size did not increase thier "flight magic" in perpotion to thier bodies, this quest should IMO allow us to now increase our flight magic to match our size. And since the Profit of Tunar is now a Fae the increase in flight magic ablities could very well come from our creator herself.
  9. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Absyntheea@Lucan DLere wrote:
    No, a grphyon is not special treatment if any race can get it. Unless they no longer allow fae to use griffons then yes adding an extra method of flying for them is special treatment.

Talathion@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Oh? Do explain.
  10. ARCHIVED-Winter Guest

Sorry it frustrates you. They did mention that they're talking about appearance wings eventually being able to be used for flight as well. Give things time and let's wait and see how they work out. :)
  11. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

You know, now that Gliders exist in this game, I could totally see this happening for the Fae. They never obtain true flight, but gain the racial ability to glide instead. I could totally see that happening.
  12. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

FAE ARE NOT MAGIC. They are no more a magical creature then a human or a gnome or a dwarf in Norrath.
    just because a races can be a wizard, does NOT mean it is magical. just becuase it has wings, does NOT mean it's magical.
    Elves are not a MAGIC race in Norrath either.
    Magical creatures in norrath are things like Djinn, Efreeti, Dragons, Unicorns, possibly Droag or maybe more likely a Sarnak then a Fae, or a Sphinx. beings who's very nature and existance manipulates magic. Dragons do it with thier breath weapons/innate polymorph...Djinn and Efreeti are elementals, Droag are dragonic partially, and so are Sarnak for that matter.
    and yes, the Prophet of Tunare is a fae. however you'll notice her Chosen, is still Fironia Vie, a High Elf. Fironia > Prophet on the power scale there.

But like I said, it's coming, I can't stop it, but I hope that at least they do a decent job explaining it. I don't want a level 86 quest of 'fetch me stronger pixie dust, Tinkerbell.'
  13. ARCHIVED-Cloudrat Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    hahahahaha
  14. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    Um sounds like someone needs to accually READ THE LORE, befor posting. Fae ARE infact creatures of magic, just as Fairies and Pixies and other similar creatures are. They are infact twice blessed with magic because of how they trasitioned from Fairy to Fae.
    Secondly, if they WHERE NOT magic then thier wings are ALREADY far stronger then they need to be to allow them to fly. Because... like I said many times already the Fae RESTING STATE requires far more Energy and Power then forward flight does.
    As for Gliders...Fae already have that ablity inatly...more or less.
  15. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

kela wrote:
    Being able to jump far and gain a little distance with featherfall isn't the same as what actual gliding is, now that the mechanics for gliding have been redefined with the mount.
    Even I think it'd be cool if the Fae could jump super high up in the air and then actually glide just like the mount acts now.
  16. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    That would be cool but I prefure the Idea of real flight better, wich is what the devs are talking about.
  17. ARCHIVED-Winter Guest

kela wrote:
    ^--- odd, why is the quote button doing that? o.o
    I think flight is still the way to go as well.
    To whomever said Fae are not magical, the original lore that deals with Tunare walking by them as they popped forth from flowers? I think that is kind of magical. :)
  18. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

It's because Ke'la has an apostrophe in her user name. It's always been impossible to directly quote her without copying everything firsthand and then pasting it into the quote box.
  19. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

kela wrote:
    Where are you getting that information?

Cusashorn wrote:
    That would be incredibly stupid and even worse than them being able to fly.
  20. ARCHIVED-Emerix Guest

Fae have always been a superior race - just like Teir'Dal *nod* they totally deserve to fly finally.
    Also winged race on winged mount looks stupid in my humble opinion.